Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2014, 19:48   #2476
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Pathetic misinformation. There is a small nut (allen bolt?) with a check nut just below the pivot point of the brake lever. This adjusts the position. But be careful. Do it just a bit. Otherwise there wil be hardly any free play in the pedal. Plus you do not need so much. Just enough to comfortably nove your foot over it without bending it. Please remember to tighhten the check nut when you're done ......
to add to Docs input, there is a possibility of further lowering of the brake pedal, but it requires a bit of work, which mainly involves reducing the length of the pusher pin. The brake pedal sub-assembly would require to be opened for the same.
Quote:
The service centre mechanics are but human
during first service i did ask them to lower the brake pedal if possible. They tightened the whole system so much, that after 3 kms, i could not move the bike, even in neutral as the pads had locked onto the rotor with heat generated from friction. And this happened at autoservice, which is considered one of the best service places for babaj/ktm/ninjas and SBKs.
human for sure!
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 21:12   #2477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Blessing in disguise?

Is there anything possibly uglier than that jugaad?
Well, I suspect that the darn thing does help in preventing stones/slush and other assorted material from being chucked onto the radiator from the front tyre.
Ergo, I don't mind the eyesore.

That said though, I did take your advice and binned the rear hugger. Contrary to what some people have shared, apart from the rooster tail that greets anyone who tailgates, I do not see any mud being kicked on to the rear seat or my back in the wet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
during first service i did ask them to lower the brake pedal if possible. They tightened the whole system so much, that after 3 kms, i could not move the bike, even in neutral as the pads had locked onto the rotor with heat generated from friction. And this happened at autoservice, which is considered one of the best service places for babaj/ktm/ninjas and SBKs.
human for sure!
Sirji, how you managed not to take a stick to the idiots who did that to you is beyond me. Utter morons...
I suppose that there's no point in discussing how bad these service centers can get

Regards,

Sundar
Old 10th June 2014, 07:54   #2478
BHPian

Getting my delivery done tomorrow!

The showroom guys will get the rim stickering done on their own, most probably today in the evening itself. After a long discussion with the manager of KTM Mekhri Circle and Service Station In-Charge, they've agreed to replace the stock horn with my Bosch Symphony. The Saree Guard will be removed too. I'm not removing the tyre hugger as it's monsoon.

As far as the sprocket thing goes, the SA told me that the most probable month of manufacture of the Duchess is Feb 2014, and I won't be facing the sprocket issue as it has been rectified in all pre-delivery bikes. What do fellow bhpians think on this?

Also, I wish to fill the tyres with Nitrogen. Advisable?

Planning to take her out for a late night ride to the airport for a cup of coffee and back. Gotta let her take over on the stretch between Hebbal & Airport.
Any idea if bikes need to pay toll? If so, how much?
Old 10th June 2014, 09:04   #2479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Getting my delivery done tomorrow!

Also, I wish to fill the tyres with Nitrogen. Advisable?
IMO, no. For regular road use, it confers no major advantage. (I believe on tracks it helps keep the tires cooler for longer.)

The other 'advantage' of longer tire pressure retention is mostly nonsense - normal air is 70% N2 anyway. People do not have any conception of how small molecules are!
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 04:04   #2480
BHPian

Delivery Day!

It's 4AM and I'm awake. Can't sleep at all. It's one of the most important days of my life. I swear I didn't wake up this early even during my critical exams without the help of an alarm.
It's a good feeling, you know. You finally get to own and command what you always craved for. Like a guy feels before commanding his first warship. Like a guy feels on the day he's marrying the love of his life. Like a guy feels when he knows he's going to own the very best in the business.
Friends, it's an honor to join the elite group of owners of the best motorbike in India.
Big thanks to everyone who helped me out with their valuable advise, especially man_of_steel.

Will keep you updated with my experiences and queries!

Safe riding, lads!
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 08:53   #2481
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm not removing the tyre hugger as it's monsoon.
I've got the hugger still on. A mild spell of rain is enough for muck to reach the back of my lid. The rear seat is covered with fine specs of sand kicked up my the tire. I don't know what the purpose of the hugger is.

Got my 3rd scheduled service done. The odo was not matching the required km for an oil change but I still asked for the oil to be replaced. Did it at the usual Domlur service station as this is the only one that works from a convenience stand point. Bill Rs. 2185. As usual, now my front brakes are dead. Feels like there is air in the system. The discs do not feel as if its coated with any diesel residue but you never know. There was brake over haul mentioned in the bill. Sprocket and some tray under the seat was replaced as part of a recall for 390 motorcycles sold up to December 2013.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 11th June 2014 at 08:59.
Old 11th June 2014, 09:14   #2482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Delivery Day!

It's 4AM and I'm awake. Can't sleep at all. It's one of the most important days of my life. I swear I didn't wake up this early even during my critical exams without the help of an alarm.
Safe riding, lads!
Dude, it is a bike! Trust me, there will be more important days in your life!

But it is also a pretty cool thing to go pick up a bike like the Duke!
Old 11th June 2014, 18:48   #2483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lark63 View Post
I see that you have a K&N label. Have you replaced the stock filter with K&N ? If so, is there any difference in performance ? What is the cost and where did you buy it in bengaluru ?
It is not my bike. I had posted the bike on which the tyres were changed. It belongs to Mr. Satish.

FB link to his profile is here
https://www.facebook.com/satish.laksh?fref=ts
Old 15th June 2014, 10:13   #2484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
Man. check out this telescopic stand by Dhaval. Last time I asked him the price, he quoted about 3K. But guess it is money well spent.
Ashwin,
Check one from this thread. Simple jugaad.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...impulse-2.html
unk9ja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2014, 18:21   #2485
Senior - BHPian

Finally bit the bullet. Got the Ceat Vertigo Sport for my Duke. Initial impressions are good. Does not differ much to Metz. The tyre needs to be bedded over a few hundred kms for its true potential to be seen. The Ceat feels like it glides over the surface rather than Metz which feels like biting into the tarmac.
The rear has indeed gone up by a couple of inches. The front mudguard has to be taken off as it was just touching the mudguard. No issues with the rear or the fit on the rims. Needs another jugaad to fix the front end which I plan to do on Wednesday. Will post some pics tomorrow.
Old 17th June 2014, 11:48   #2486
Senior - BHPian

Met a fellow BHJP-ian and duker on the way to office today - it was nice meeting you mate, but sadly I forgot your name. I am posting it here because I hope you will be checking this thread since you ride a 390.

Need a bit of info about Marathahalli KTM - Do they have a service centre or is it only for sales? Convenience wise, it is the best place to get my duke service, but want to check with fellow Dukers about the service quality, if any one have already tried them.

--Anoop
Old 17th June 2014, 11:59   #2487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Need a bit of info about Marathahalli KTM - Do they have a service centre or is it only for sales? Convenience wise, it is the best place to get my duke service, but want to check with fellow Dukers about the service quality, if any one have already tried them.
--Anoop
Matathahalli KTM is having only the Showroom there. Their service centre is at their main branch Indiranagar.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 12:05   #2488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Matathahalli KTM is having only the Showroom there. Their service centre is at their main branch Indiranagar.
Oh ok, that is a downer. Then I have to take leave and get the servicing done at BTM or Banashankari KTM, or have to go there on weekends :(

Wish KTM had a service centre some where in whitefield area also.

--Anoop
Old 17th June 2014, 12:58   #2489
BHPian

Guys,

I just inquired with our Goa Service center about the free sprocket replacement and it seems they don't have any information / communication in this regard.

My 390 is Nov 2013 delivered and I guess I have to get this replacement done.

Could some one provide me links to authentic info / press clips / email from KTM / other service centers in this regard so that I can forward the same and take up the matter with the local service guys. Thanks.
Old 23rd June 2014, 01:34   #2490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
Guys,

I just inquired with our Goa Service center about the free sprocket replacement and it seems they don't have any information / communication in this regard.

My 390 is Nov 2013 delivered and I guess I have to get this replacement done.

Could some one provide me links to authentic info / press clips / email from KTM / other service centers in this regard so that I can forward the same and take up the matter with the local service guys. Thanks.
Oodles of information about it in the media, auto journals etc, and even some even hot speculation revolves as to an even new mapping offered from KTM Indian spec customers with performance and mileage oriented. All this obviously at a price, but when? Anyone's guess.

But that aside, it's real strange to see this issue overseen by KTM Goa. Just Googling KTM sprocket replacement yields you oodles of results.

=======================

Poor man's DIY.

Hardly 250 on the odo, never water washed the bike professionally, hate those lunatics spray pressurized water directly at the radiator and almost screwed up my car's radiator this way. So me does the washing for KTM.

Nearly had an infarction seeing greenish tinge water pooled up under the starter motor, common in 390s (water accu) , and this is a real pain in the posterior considering, KTM could have sorted this water pooling issue, but one would wonder why when pressurized air is used to do away with water pooling post-jacuzzi, but trust me not all water walla does it the right way, just a few air shows here and there and done.

Unfortunately the excess coolant from the overflow tube when mixed with water pools under the starter motor leading to the conclusion (me and my crazy thoughts) that there was indeed leak/weep somewhere. Though there are genuine cases where it leaks.

But upon doing some wine-tasting (coolant) found out it was indeed water mixed with the remnants in the overflow tube (not to confuse with the premixed one, tastes different). Just washed the bike for an hour today. Sigh!

Now it's 1.20 AM in the morning, sneakily bring the bike inside home (of course dad was out of station) mom knows I'm crazy, she says, aaramibe*******, paythiyam aada nee? translated, Started? Are you mad? (to be continued)

Mods hope I'm forgiven for the Tanglish.

Now, this is just a crazy, doped early morning DIY, but here is how it works if you're watering the bike yourself. Of course this is just takes a few seconds with the pressurized air, but I found this pooling even after pressurized air jingalala is done, so just in case if one intends to suck it out...

Things needed.

Handful of fresh waste (act as absorbent)
Sprayer from garden sprayer + small one from cheap laptop spray canister.

Initially used the smaller one, though it was a tad hard to get my hands in due to tight tolerances, but with a bigger one it it's a breeze. Three pumps and the water is sucked bone dry and just placed the waste to remove the grime and it's all shiny! Reduces unwanted paint job fouling and what not.

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-dsc_0967.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-dsc_0968.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-dsc_0969.jpg

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 23rd June 2014 at 01:53.
VijayAnand1 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed