Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2014, 19:40   #2551
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Thanks Anil. Maybe you should start a thread for this so that its easier for users to search for with keyword searches later on.
Another thread is good, but it might not have that many discussions on it and might go inactive after some time. If only everyone had the patience to do keyword searches.

Quote:
This is a really great link and had the Duke seat not been so good for touring (compared to my earlier Bullet ones) I would surely have gone for one. I had actually spoken to the guy a number of times and exchanged some emails as well. Guy knows his stuff and the stuff looks good quality and is imported (not local me-too jugaad). So its not going to be cheap neessarily. But you get what you pay for.

Below are some options I've come across that help relax the butt while touring

1) Gel seats - Link provided earlier
2) Sheep Skin -
3) Touring Underwear

links to read and ponder

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=695534

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...e-touring.html

Last edited by anilupadhya : 1st July 2014 at 19:50.
Old 2nd July 2014, 12:07   #2552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely undoubtely positively comprehensively unambiguously definitely surely unquestionably the BEST 20,000 bucks one can spend on his Duke.
Doc,
Please share the seller details, I don't have an 390 yet but am toying with an idea of upgrading my Pulsar NS's exhaust. Would love to get something like this.

Regards
Old 2nd July 2014, 13:58   #2553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Guys,

Experienced a small problem in the morning. After a km from home I noticed a short but abrupt cut in the engine at 3rd gear. The bike rode fine after that for sometime but then the same problem happened again. It happened when I was on partial throttle. Again after another couple of kms of running fine the engine abruptly cuts off again with MIL on in a car ling traffic. I cranked the bike but it didnt start. After switching the kill switch off and on the engine started but was struggling to maintain the idle rpm. I then swiched off both kill switch and ignition key, waited for sometime and then started the bike and the bike rode like nothing happened at all. It was fine till the time I reached office and the issue didnt happen again. Any pointers on this? Anyone?
UPDATE: Broken battery terminals! The negative clamp snapped clean off the bolt also the positive was near breaking point!

While window shopping at Mekhri circle KTM, saw a pair of orange color handguards. As it turned out, the design was just like the white stock handguard of the 390. But on closer inspection it was much much better built and moulded. Even the back (black) part was well built and moulded and had the KTM logo embossed on it. No PowerParts logo was mentioned anywhere on it and when enquired, the cost was apparently INR7000/-. So I guess its a powerparts one afterall!
Old 3rd July 2014, 21:14   #2554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Guys,

Experienced a small problem in the morning. After a km from home I noticed a short but abrupt cut in the engine at 3rd gear. The bike rode fine after that for sometime but then the same problem happened again. It happened when I was on partial throttle. Again after another couple of kms of running fine the engine abruptly cuts off again with MIL on in a car ling traffic. I cranked the bike but it didnt start. After switching the kill switch off and on the engine started but was struggling to maintain the idle rpm. I then swiched off both kill switch and ignition key, waited for sometime and then started the bike and the bike rode like nothing happened at all. It was fine till the time I reached office and the issue didnt happen again. Any pointers on this? Anyone?
Same thing happened to me today morning. Right at my office entry gate the bike stalled in 3rd gear. I think the speed was OK for the gear. Did not start for a minute inspite of cranking repeatedly. All the security guys were looking at me amused. I just slide it to the side and tried again with the same result. Swithed OFF the ignition and ON again. Then the bike started as usual. Went in and parked it and checked the battery terminals. -ve terminal is broken and was making partial contact. Left the bike in the Rajajingar SC for terminal replacement (they claimed they are overloaded and can not attend immediately). Promised to rectify by tomorrow morning.
This is the second time it has happened and both the times it is the same terminal. This is getting irritating really.
I was told the new bikes coming now are slightly modified to overcome this problem. Even the seat is redesigned slightly for routing the battery wires.
Old 4th July 2014, 10:27   #2555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lark63 View Post
This is the second time it has happened and both the times it is the same terminal. This is getting irritating really.
I was told the new bikes coming now are slightly modified to overcome this problem. Even the seat is redesigned slightly for routing the battery wires.
Yes, even I was told that the terminal breaking happens because the rider seat is pushing on the terminal wires! Seems like I will better carry a wire stripper during long rides.
Old 4th July 2014, 10:29   #2556
Distinguished - BHPian

It would be interesting to find out if the bikes headed to Austria are all reporting similar problems. These don't seem to be quality issues strictly, but more design related.

Anyone?

*Vested interest in the 390 Advy*
Old 5th July 2014, 23:37   #2557
BHPian

I want to get saddlebags for my duke. The options I have listed are as follows

1. Viaterra claw
2. Rynox nomad v2
E. Dirtsack speedbag with the tail bag.

I am not able to decide which one to go for !

I won't be having any pillion on any of my rides so that answers one question.

My budget is max 5k. Mind says viaterra claw and heart says rynox !

Can you please pour in your suggestions .

Thanks
Old 7th July 2014, 08:46   #2558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
I want to get saddlebags for my duke. The options I have listed are as follows
1. Viaterra claw
2. Rynox nomad v2
E. Dirtsack speedbag with the tail bag.
I am not able to decide which one to go for !
I won't be having any pillion on any of my rides so that answers one question.
My budget is max 5k. Mind says viaterra claw and heart says rynox !
Can you please pour in your suggestions .
Thanks
It depends. If you are looking for loads of space, then Claw! Also, there is a new mini claw version if you want a balance between space and size.

Disclosure: I got a full sized claw. It didn't move an inch on my 2400k trip. Stays well balanced in terms of weight and center of gravity. It did NOT feel tail heavy to me despite having a weeks worth of clothes n stuff and a laptop. Also, with the claw, there are 2 belts that go over the top, so incase you have anything extra/bulky that you can't keep in the bag, then just keep it on top and have the belts go over it to hold it down onto the bag firmly. Also, needless to say, it acts as a back support as and when you need to relax a bit
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-dsc_1216-2.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-dsc_1214-2.jpg  

Cyrus_the_virus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2014, 11:14   #2559
BHPian

After 6 months of owning the duke, I finally got a the time and the road to properly flog the beast. Got it to 140, and even with the pillion the bike pulled effortlessly. However, the windblast at anything above 120 is seriously nerve wracking. So I wish to add a windshield to my bike. It seems to me the one KTM sells is the most convenient in terms of procuring. But does it justify the 2600 it commands? If there is anything else for anything less(or a bit more) but with a significant increase in efficiency I would like to know.

Also, while checking out the powerparts catalogue, I found the orange Z-link chain. I haven't seen its price yet so if some would tell that here.. Does this Z link chain provide any noticeable difference over the stock chain? (Apart from the color)
Old 17th July 2014, 11:50   #2560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin1224 View Post
I wish to add a windshield to my bike. It seems to me the one KTM sells is the most convenient in terms of procuring. But does it justify the 2600 it commands? If there is anything else for anything less(or a bit more) but with a significant increase in efficiency I would like to know.
Just search this thread for windscreen and you will find tons of info on windscreen from DIY Jugaad to Imported ones. A lot of discussion / analysis has been done / documented in this thread in this regard.
Regards, Ashok
ashkamath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2014, 13:12   #2561
Senior - BHPian

My motorcycle is losing coolant but I don't know where it is going. I can't find a leak nor am I able to see any smoke from the exhaust, just to rule out a blown head gasket. It takes a little over two weeks for the level to drop from Max to Min. I've always had a steady level of coolant with levels not changing in months so this is a little worrying. More so cause I can't trace it. I run 50km a day and the bike does stand idle for a couple of minutes at traffic lights. Nothing new though. The weather is cool so I see no reason for coolant to evaporate so quickly. Please advice.
Old 18th July 2014, 13:52   #2562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
My motorcycle is losing coolant but I don't know where it is going. I can't find a leak nor am I able to see any smoke from the exhaust, just to rule out a blown head gasket. It takes a little over two weeks for the level to drop from Max to Min. I've always had a steady level of coolant with levels not changing in months so this is a little worrying. More so cause I can't trace it. I run 50km a day and the bike does stand idle for a couple of minutes at traffic lights. Nothing new though. The weather is cool so I see no reason for coolant to evaporate so quickly. Please advice.
Hi Sandeep,

I had the same issue about 2 months back, could see the coolant anywhere, but the level would go down. Took it to BTM service station and found out that the engine oil had turned slightly green. The coolant had leaked into the engine oil. The oil seal was replaced and now we are back to normal.
wanderlust is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2014, 14:00   #2563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
The oil seal was replaced and now we are back to normal.
Location of this oil seal please.

The investigation was carried out in your presence?

I service my bike at the Khivraj in Domlur. Not sure about their capability to diagnose problems like this. BTM's quite far out for me. I live in Cox Town.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 18th July 2014 at 14:03.
Old 18th July 2014, 14:23   #2564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I service my bike at the Khivraj in Domlur. Not sure about their capability to diagnose problems like this. BTM's quite far out for me. I live in Cox Town.
Why not try the Kasturba Road service center? Speak to Ravi and get a senior tech to handle your bike. Got my first service done there. Praveen and Ravi come highly recommended in this service center from long time duke owners (parthasarathig, sridhu etc)

Last edited by abhinav.s : 18th July 2014 at 14:24.
abhinav.s is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2014, 14:50   #2565
BHPian

Quote:
Location of this oil seal please.

The investigation was carried out in your presence?

It is on the front RHS, next to the oil window. Yes, the mechanic Brahma is quite competent there and he showed me the issue before replacing the seal. Had to replace the oil and filter too.
wanderlust is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed