Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2014, 12:52   #2581
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Had a great time on the Manali-Leh highway. Here's a moment of solitude i was fortunate to have atop Baralacha La.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20140703_133334.jpg  

VedderTheFixer is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 11:05   #2582
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful photograph! The desolateness of the background is stunning. How did you manage fuel?
Old 28th July 2014, 17:16   #2583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Beautiful photograph! The desolateness of the background is stunning. How did you manage fuel?
Oh yes , it was a brilliant moment for me , rather indelible.

As for fuel, i carried 2 five liter cans in my saddlebags, one cracked after Keylong owing to my not so silky riding. Ended up splitting that among 5 bikes of which i got 2 liters approx. The other 5 liters sufficed; the bike was surprisingly efficient (28-30 kpl in the bad sections, 50 kpl on the Leh-Lamayuru-Leh ride).

All in all, I did not have to strain the bike as such ; the power on tap is enough to get you out of sticky situations, be it foot high mud or the most raging water crossings (of which we had more than a few).

The 390 is a proper, proper bike to do this ride on. Change the Metz and it's all set to go.
VedderTheFixer is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 18:50   #2584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VedderTheFixer View Post
50 kpl on the Leh-Lamayuru-Leh ride).
Did I read that right? 50kmpl?

Are you quoting the console indicated mileage?

Last edited by Added_flavor : 28th July 2014 at 18:51.
Old 28th July 2014, 20:30   #2585
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Did I read that right? 50kmpl?

Are you quoting the console indicated mileage?
Yes , it is the readout i was referring to. Was skeptic as well, but i actually kept an eye on the mileage and it more or less worked out. Turns out i did 260 km in around half a tank, the rest of the fuel did work out to the usual 28-29 kpl once back.

The route is mind boggling btw, both in terms of scenic beauty and road condition ..makes for a brilliant biking experience - constant 90-100 is no biggie.
Old 28th July 2014, 22:53   #2586
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
The tyres -- Ralco 110 front (handling became heavier) and 120 rear
Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
posting a few photos after the change of tyres to Ceat Vertigo Sport. Have ridden for about 400kms in 2 weeks
Quote:
The 390 is a proper, proper bike to do this ride on. Change the Metz and it's all set to go.
Gents - Was looking for some more info on the tyre changes you have incorporated to your respective 390's. Could you please provide inputs on:

- Tyre brand(s)
- Cost (front & back separately)
- Width / Profile (Front n Back)
- Tubeless or Tube Type
- On road behaviour. Especially, how does it corner
- Braking stability / ABS : Any changes observed
- Wet grip if tested (on tarmac specifically)
- Bad roads / off road behavior
- Summary of perceptible feel / overall general performance vis a vis Metz
- Any issues if at all observed

Some of you may already have posted part of the requested info in your previous posts. Would ask you to please update the above pointers anyway in your responses to help consolidate the info.

Thank you all for sharing this wealth of info here for the benefit of noobs like me

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 28th July 2014 at 22:57.
Old 29th July 2014, 01:28   #2587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Gents - Was looking for some more info on the tyre changes you have incorporated to your respective 390's. Could you please provide inputs on:
- Tyre brand(s) - Michelin Pilot Street
- Cost (front & back separately) - 2150 + 3600 (5750 for the set)
- Width / Profile (Front n Back) - 100/80 , 140/70
- Tubeless or Tube Type - Tubeless
- On road behaviour. Especially, how does it corner - Cornering was never an issue, got to do some mad speeds between the hairpins
- Braking stability / ABS : Any changes observed - Worked perfectly fine , a lifesaver
- Wet grip if tested (on tarmac specifically) - Dicey on occasions - there were huge water crossings this year and after riding through them and hitting tarmac they were skittish , had to be careful not to lose the rear end
- Bad roads / off road behavior - bloody good, i don't believe they came through without a puncture. Lost 1 PS in the front after 12 days of hard riding.
- Summary of perceptible feel / overall general performance vis a vis Metz - A real bargain for the price. The Metz would never ever survive the trip, not a chance. Since i'm back in Hyd, the Metz are going right back on
- Any issues if at all observed - None

Here you go !

Last edited by moralfibre : 3rd August 2014 at 09:01. Reason: Closing quote tag
VedderTheFixer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2014, 09:41   #2588
Mik
BHPian

Quote:
- Tyre brand(s) === Ralco
- Cost (front & back separately) === 4.5k for the pair. Separately not known.
- Width / Profile (Front n Back) === 110/80 and 120/80
- Tubeless or Tube Type === Tubeless
- On road behaviour. Especially, how does it corner === Pretty fine. No slides on dry tarmac. Though I wasn't pushing as much as I would have with the Metz.
- Braking stability / ABS : Any changes observed === Slight loss in braking ability compared to Metz. But the bike also loses some of its agility on these tyres so it kind of balances things out.
- Wet grip if tested (on tarmac specifically) === Not good. Rear stepped out a few times. Better to be conservative on wet tarmac.
- Bad roads / off road behavior === AWESOME. It makes a joke of the terrain in the offroad/slushy sections and water crossings.
- Summary of perceptible feel / overall general performance vis a vis Metz

=== Grip will be lesser obviously. You cannot push the bike too much. Speed rated at 150kmph so I never pushed it beyond 140. 4000km done but zero tyre degradation. Looks like it can last for 20k km atleast. But, its offroading nirvana. The ride height increases by a few mm so shorter guys will have a problem.
- Any issues if at all observed === Front installation is a pain. One will need a 'patti'/extender-flat-plate on the mudguard so that it doesn't rub against the tyre.
Mik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2014, 20:29   #2589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tyre brand(s) - Michelin Pilot Street
Thanks. I am surprised the Michelins worked so well. These are not dual sport or off road tires. These are actually performance (ish) tyres for street riding.

But are you sure these are Pilot Streets? This article below pegs the price range between Rs. 4500 - 6000. The entire set should cost around 10k. Could you please confirm if it indeed is the Street and not some other version Michelin sells (Sirac?)?

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/28603073.cms

But Wow, if it indeed is the Pilot Street then its truly a versatile tyre. Someone else on the forum mentioned that this tyre was like 90+ % of the Metz and performed quite well at the track as well. Again, this was mounted on a 390.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
- Tyre brand(s) === Ralco
Never heard of this brand but loss of braking ability is scary. I already find the front brakes a bit spongy and actually want better brakes on the 390.

And the tyre sizes ..... no issues with fitment on the rim? The stock rear on 390 is 150

Thank you for such a detailed response.

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 29th July 2014 at 20:30.
Old 29th July 2014, 20:51   #2590
Mik
BHPian

Quote:
Never heard of this brand but loss of braking ability is scary. I already find the front brakes a bit spongy and actually want better brakes on the 390.

And the tyre sizes ..... no issues with fitment on the rim? The stock rear on 390 is 150

Thank you for such a detailed response.
Ummm.. its not as bad as you think it is. The loss is only marginal. What the tyres offer in offroad grip is just too good. This was my third trip in that terrain and never have I felt so confident over ice, slush and water crossings. Previous rides were done on a MRF/MichelinSirac combo(P220) and the crappy Continentals(CBR).
The 120 fits the rear pretty fine. No issues at all. You could check the rear fitment in this pic
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-10353391_10152140509140868_3738812675784892654_o.jpg  

Mik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2014, 21:00   #2591
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Yeah Ricci, long time since we met up. Let me know when you're coming over with a digital camera or a new generation mobile phone. Will arrange for the bike and coffee.

Cheers, Doc

P.S. Are you stil riding the Karizma or have you moved on to something else after that?
Mebbe this Sunday, doc? Karizma was sold off long back in 2008, my 2007 Pulsar 220 FI soldiers on , though now the 7 year itch is demanding a scratch!
Ricci is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 01:22   #2592
BHPian

It is raining intermittently in the coast and I had a short ride to Gokarna for a ceremony. while returning after entering Goa, I chose the twisty coastal route via Agonda-Betul to Vasco because it is devoid of any traffic.
the road was wet and I was riding at a fairly comfortable speed as traffic was sparse. I have been using engine braking as much as possible (while approaching humps or while approaching a sharp turn). If I may say so, I was controlling the speed mostly with the gear shifts.
so there I was in 5th gear and ahead is a sharp right downward gradient turn and I down shift to 4th, sensing the speed is still more and down shift to 3rd ( back to back) and viola, my rear wheel just tails out. (It was sort of tail out when one uses the rear brake hard on Non ABS bikes). The bike corrects itself immediately in a sec or two and I was wondering out loud. what the heck was that? It never happened in my bike earlier.
So then only engine braking does not appear to be a safe bet afterall at reasonable speeds on wet roads?? Any idea what is the safe tread depth of the tyre for safe usage / wet roads? I checked the tyre pressure before leaving in the morning (Front 25 and rear 29) so guess pressure is alright.
Another issue is I need to crank the bike at least 5-7 times to start every time.

And reg tyres, yesterday I inquired at the local Ceat guy with regard to Ceat Vertigo Sports. he says the manufacturing is stopped and it is no more available??? So Ralco or Michelin Pilot sport or Ceat Vertigo Sports???(for the hill ride of course)

Last edited by ashkamath : 30th July 2014 at 01:36.
Old 30th July 2014, 01:52   #2593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
so there I was in 5th gear and ahead is a sharp right downward gradient turn and I down shift to 4th, sensing the speed is still more and down shift to 3rd ( back to back) and viola, my rear wheel just tails out
Questions:

- Do you normally blip the throttle whilst downshifting?
- In the above scenario, did you blip once or twice?

It sounds like a case of "under - blipping" thereby locking the rear wheel causing the rear to slide, exaggerated by the slush / muck on the road. Intermittent rains are the worst. The water is not enough to actually wash the grime and dirt off the road and instead makes a slippery paste of sorts, mixing with all that crud on the road. Not really conducive for riding hard.

Just my 2 cents. Hope my questions do not seem "hoity toity" and offend you

I am not aware of your riding style, hence the query.

Take care, ride safe

Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 02:15   #2594
BHPian

Quote:
Questions:

- Do you normally blip the throttle whilst downshifting?
- In the above scenario, did you blip once or twice?

It sounds like a case of "under - blipping" thereby locking the rear wheel causing the rear to slide, exaggerated by the slush / muck on the road. Intermittent rains are the worst. The water is not enough to actually wash the grime and dirt off the road and instead makes a slippery paste of sorts, mixing with all that crud on the road. Not really conducive for riding hard.

Just my 2 cents. Hope my questions do not seem "hoity toity" and offend you

I am not aware of your riding style, hence the query.
Hey thanks for the reply. well I do not blip while down shifting normally. ( though I am consciously trying to do it as my engine has stalled a couple of times at decent speeds while downshifting with throttle closed). But in this case nope. No blipping what so ever during downshifting. (so you get the idea) Throttle closed. shift to 4th - leave the clutch - bike is still fast (no blipping or throttle)- declutch again-- shift to 3rd -- leave the clutch (no blipping or throttle) - tyre tails out.

Tthe road was ok I guess, no slush or muck. and my riding style is very sedate. you can call me an overcautious rider .

My thoughts are that may be it is time for the Metz replacement. Odo is showing upwards of 14K. at first glance the treads look ok. that is the reason I asked if anyone knows what is the safe tread depth? the KTM tour master pdf says 2 mm. Need to check that.

Perhaps it was the turning downward gradient and may be I should use proper brakes to it's rightful purpose more often.
and I appreciate your reply. Thanks again.

Last edited by ashkamath : 30th July 2014 at 02:19.
Old 30th July 2014, 10:34   #2595
BHPian

Does the ABS work when the rear wheel locks due to engine braking? My initial thought would be 'No'.
Could this be why your bike fishtailed, and nothing to do with the tyres?
( did I just restate the obvious? Sorry in that case!)

Most Viewed