Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2014, 01:05   #2701
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Can someone please help me with these -

Wanted opinion on a few things which I plan to order this week:

1. Gel seat modification from here - http://www.redlineplus.in/product-li...t-modification

2. Plan to order the folk slider and swingarm slider from here - http://motofusion.in/shop/

3. Plan to order the grill from here - http://motofusion.in/shop/

jc moto stuff looks too expensive.

Are all the above three products worth the price?
Old 25th August 2014, 12:54   #2702
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanskumar View Post
Can someone please help me with these -

Wanted opinion on a few things which I plan to order this week:

1. Gel seat modification from here - http://www.redlineplus.in/product-li...t-modification
Worth trying out. Do ask and let us know if they are willing to halve the price (Rs 2500 odd) if we choose to get only one seat done (rider) and leave the pillion as it is. The icing on the cake is that these guys are based in Pune. Good find. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
2. Plan to order the folk slider and swingarm slider from here - http://motofusion.in/shop/
When it comes to sliders, I would go with the KTM Power Parts ones. No sense in trying to save a grand here or there, and messing up your 25 grand fork or 9 grand swing arm in case of a fall. Not saying these would. Just that I would not be the one volunteering my bike to be the guinea pig ......
Old 26th August 2014, 03:25   #2703
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So, I'm assuming you mean to say using what comes from the company folks is the best?
Given a choice, I would use the OEM coolant unless their Owners Manual gives information about a suitable antifreeze made by another company.

There are various synthetic rubber seals in an engine and I'm sure at least one of them contacts the coolant. That would be the water pump seal.

Some synthetic rubber works fine with some fluids and not so fine with others.
I have no knowledge of the type of seal(s) used in the Duke 390 but I'm sure the company engineers do. They selected whatever coolant they did because of its compatibility with the seals material.

Does this mean you can't use some other kind of coolant?
I would say you can if you know what the existing OEM coolant is and you can find another source of the same kind.

If you don't know what the OEM coolant is, your taking a chance in using some other replacement.

Of course, distilled water can always be used. It's only weakness is it can freeze. It doesn't have corrosion inhibitors and it doesn't have any form of lubricants in it.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 16:10   #2704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
Given a choice, I would use the OEM coolant unless their Owners Manual gives information about a suitable antifreeze made by another company.
==============
It's only weakness is it can freeze. It doesn't have corrosion inhibitors and it doesn't have any form of lubricants in it.
Hmmm good point. Thanks. Will stick to the same one for now.
Old 26th August 2014, 17:43   #2705
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Worth trying out. Do ask and let us know if they are willing to halve the price (Rs 2500 odd) if we choose to get only one seat done (rider) and leave the pillion as it is. The icing on the cake is that these guys are based in Pune. Good find. Thanks for sharing.
I think its 2.5k for one seat.

http://www.redlineplus.in/product-li...t-modification

Motorcycle Gel Seats for riders who do not want an external attachment; the stock seat is modified individually as per your requirements.
INR 2550 each split seat (12x12 inches).
Old 26th August 2014, 18:21   #2706
Senior - BHPian

Need advice:

Planning to do a delhi - mandi - manali - tirthan (jalori pass) - shimla - Delhi around end of sep / beginning oct

- a tyre change to tougher rubber recommended or would the Metz cope?
- route doable in 5 days?
- an update on road conditions if possible. Am apprehensive that the rains may have washed the Tarmac right off. Not interested in any off roading
- the purpose of this trip is to ride good mountain roads. Any section of the stretch above that I need to cut out (owing to a harsh terrain, especially if Metz might have a hard time?
- weather conditions this part of the world around the oct timeframe

Thanks guys!
Old 26th August 2014, 18:22   #2707
BHPian

Since 390 tyres are puncture friendly, as anyone bought a puncture kit? Which company do you recommend? There are loads of brands available online.
Old 26th August 2014, 18:23   #2708
Senior - BHPian

Man, i still remember those days i rode with a pillow on my 500. A cheap and actually free solution for the butt aches. The best way i found to be comfortable was to load the rear seat such that it actually becomes a nice back rest. The crash bar was my leg extender and the handle bar was tilted way towards the tank so the reach is very comfortable.

Gone are those days where home remedy is not a choice and professional product are affordable.

I would have calculated the 2500 to the fuel consumption charge for a round trip and said to myself, money well spent on that ride to Kanya.
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 18:29   #2709
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Man, i still remember those days i rode with a pillow on my 500. A cheap and actually free solution for the butt aches. The best way i found to be comfortable was to load the rear seat such that it actually becomes a nice back rest. The crash bar was my leg extender and the handle bar was tilted way towards the tank so the reach is very comfortable.

Gone are those days where home remedy is not a choice and professional product are affordable.

I would have calculated the 2500 to the fuel consumption charge for a round trip and said to myself, money well spent on that ride to Kanya.
VW, to be fair to the Duke boys, their seat does not give the resident bum an inbuilt vibratory masage all the way either .... hence the extra need.
Old 26th August 2014, 18:54   #2710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
inbuilt vibratory masage all the way either
LMAO - But the 390 was actually comfortable post i installed some cushion in it. In fact we are so used to the massage that we have moved to heat therapy now.

Those cold mornings and 390 is the best bike to be in. Lovely warmth around your thighs

And people complain about heat.
Old 27th August 2014, 11:29   #2711
BHPian

Guys I rode back home last night ~20km in heavy rains and it was f**king scary! These stock tyres are pretty useless. The bike was pretty much sliding on the roads at the speed of 60kmph. And I'm supposed to do a ride up north east in a weeks time on the same bike. Do you think I should be changing my tyres? Or it is manageable with slow speeds?
Old 27th August 2014, 12:07   #2712
BHPian

Quote:
Guys I rode back home last night ~20km in heavy rains and it was f**king scary! These stock tyres are pretty useless. The bike was pretty much sliding on the roads at the speed of 60kmph. And I'm supposed to do a ride up north east in a weeks time on the same bike. Do you think I should be changing my tyres? Or it is manageable with slow speeds?
You are probably the first guy in the Universe to be saying that!

On a serious note, how old is the bike/tyres? How aggressive were you during rains?

If the metz are new and if you felt insecure/wobbly on them, then perhaps there's nothing else that can keep you happy!
Old 27th August 2014, 12:26   #2713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
If the metz are new and if you felt insecure/wobbly on them, then perhaps there's nothing else that can keep you happy!
Maybe they are too new.
Old 27th August 2014, 13:22   #2714
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
You are probably the first guy in the Universe to be saying that!

On a serious note, how old is the bike/tyres? How aggressive were you during rains?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Maybe they are too new.
I know, I tried reading up on earlier posts for the city riding and have only heard people say good things. The bike is new, got it 20 days back. have done 1100km so far.
Old 27th August 2014, 14:09   #2715
BHPian

On second thoughts, does it have to do anything with first service which was done yesterday morning?

Most Viewed