Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2014, 17:05   #2731
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freewheelin_KD View Post
I have done around 7,000 kms and have been advised to get my shims replaced as they have started making noises. This was when I went for my 3rd service recently.
Shims? That's new. Can you explain more about the issue, please? When did it start? What's the service centre's take, etc?
Old 1st September 2014, 18:55   #2732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilp View Post
Shims? That's new. Can you explain more about the issue, please? When did it start? What's the service centre's take, etc?
To be honest, don't know exactly when it started. The workshop mechanic brought it to my knowledge when I went for my 3rd service. A faint ticking sound is heard and increases in frequency when the engine is revved. Service centre is asking for getting it replaced and they said it would not be covered under warranty as it is a wear and tear item. I am thinking of taking this up with KTM as shims going bad so early in life is surprising.

Last edited by Freewheelin_KD : 1st September 2014 at 18:57.
Old 1st September 2014, 19:34   #2733
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have done around 7,000 kms and have been advised to get my shims replaced as they have started making noises. This was when I went for my 3rd service recently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anilp View Post
Quote:
A faint ticking sound is heard and increases in frequency when the engine is revved. Service centre is asking for getting it replaced and they said it would not be covered under warranty as it is a wear and tear item. I am thinking of taking this up with KTM as shims going bad so early in life is surprising.
You all would've heard of Tappet Rods and Rocker Arms - which essentially controls the valves in an engine (it a famous problem with old Bullets and the likes). The Shim & Bucket is the modern equivalent of this in Modern Engines such as 390's - This is in most simple terms (I can't explain in detailed manner). The diagram below might be better

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-shim-bucket.jpg

Source. forums.vwvortex.com-

The ticking noise comes when the clearance between the shim & bucket and the valves have gone bad.

If this has happened in 7000 KM engine then it definitely should be a warranty problem for any "self respecting" company. I don't think KTM would or should shy away from this.

BTW does this go away when the engine is relatively cool (slight noise may be there especially after a really high revving ride of fairly long duration). If so then (in my opinion) its should be case of checking the clearances and not very serious issue

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 1st September 2014 at 19:37.
r_nairtvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 21:17   #2734
Senior - BHPian

Found this interesting post on why rims crack! What's your story?

Cheers!
VJ
Old 1st September 2014, 22:45   #2735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
The Shim & Bucket is the modern equivalent of this in Modern Engines such as 390's
What you are saying is correct Ram, but KTM uses finger followers instead of buckets to hit the shims and yes, Diamond-Like Carbon coated finger followers

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-ktm-valvetrain.jpg

Quote:
The ticking noise comes when the clearance between the shim & bucket and the valves have gone bad.
This may be the likely case as shims going bad so soon looks doubtful.

Quote:
BTW does this go away when the engine is relatively cool (slight noise may be there especially after a really high revving ride of fairly long duration).
Nope, its there right from the moment I thumb the starter button, even when starting cold.
Old 2nd September 2014, 00:53   #2736
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insearch View Post
They make an identical bag for the TBTS with only difference being the way the straps come around the bag (I think dimensions are similar). I have used it for my Ladakh ride.
If that is anything to go by, then the bag provided excellent back support, and did not budge from it's place. But if I overstuffed the bag, then instead of it being a back rest, I had to make space for it as it would be hard and poke into my back, because of it's shape. So better to stuff it with soft stuff . If you have their saddle bags (I just ordered mine for the 390), it makes a good combination as they do not overlap in terms of space or tying them to the bike.

Also, in terms of getting on and off I think it will be a challenge. When I see the Duke and the Thunderbird parked side by side, the rider's seat on the Duke feels higher and the rear seat of the Duke is definitely higher. So you will have to aim for the stratosphere with your leg to swing over the bag. Better technique may be to try and push it across the front seat while holding it parallel to the ground and using the handle bar for balance.
I hope someone else can pitch in with an actual usage (of the Duke specific bag).
I know man. Seems like a wonderful back support and it'll definitely help in the long ride! I've saddle bags from duke, which are getoffur ass make. I'm really bothered about getting on and off bike. Seems like i'll take a chance and see what happens. If it's easy to strap on & off, can ask someone else to do it for me when I'm seated :P Else only option seems to be to wrap my backpack on the rear seat along withe the saddles.
Old 3rd September 2014, 18:04   #2737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanskumar View Post
Guys I rode back home last night ~20km in heavy rains and it was f**king scary! These stock tyres are pretty useless. The bike was pretty much sliding on the roads at the speed of 60kmph. And I'm supposed to do a ride up north east in a weeks time on the same bike. Do you think I should be changing my tyres? Or it is manageable with slow speeds?
My bike is about 5 months old and I have done over 6k - those tires do not improve, they only get worse with more kms! Totally agree with your experience. I can't really fathom why everyone sings praises those tyres so much (perhaps everyone loves the fancy name too much) but I have never felt particularly confident on wet roads or even on the edges of the road where dust accumulates close to the pavement. It simply slides on a thin layer or sand/dust. Or perhaps only two bikes (yours and mine) have tires from a defective batch!

Brace yourself for more maintenance issues than any other bike in India (barring bullet perhaps) and totally clueless technicians. I don't know about the other but my 390 totally sucks, develops a new problem pretty much every week!

In addition to a variety of issues which I have mentioned in my earlier posts, now (10 days after second service) my bike is randomly stalling every 200 meters or so and no its not a loose battery terminal - only started happening an hour ago, will have it checked.

Last edited by ff1609 : 3rd September 2014 at 18:08.
Old 3rd September 2014, 19:46   #2738
Senior - BHPian

Cheers!
VJ
Old 4th September 2014, 01:16   #2739
BHPian

Folks,

I'm riding across north east on the 390 next week. I was planning to do this with stock tyres but I guess i've no option to change them. The svc guy today mentioned that these stock tyres would be of no good in gravel/mud etc. I've been digging threads all night and I'm not sure which are the best tyres out there?!

My usage - no racing/stunting/cornering etc. It wil be regular city use and once in a while riding off to some place.

I see options like CEATS Vertigo / Michelin Pilot Street and a few others. Which do you suggest?

Ps - has anyone done leh/sikkim on stock tyres?
Old 4th September 2014, 12:10   #2740
Senior - BHPian

So how many 390 Duke owners are anxiously waiting for this tire hugger from the RC?

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-ktmdukerc200indiaswingarmdetail.jpg

Seems to be a simple plug and play job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanskumar View Post
My usage - no racing/stunting/cornering etc. It wil be regular city use and once in a while riding off to some place.
Since for most of the time the bike will be on-tarmac, I would suggest going for the Michelin Pilot Street. However if you are serious about hitting some good trails and are not bothered about grip at higher speeds, Ceat Securas will be a good choice.
Old 4th September 2014, 14:51   #2741
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
So how many 390 Duke owners are anxiously waiting for this tire hugger from the RC?
Will this stop mud from being splattered all over my back, helmet and seat? Does not look like it. Riding this bike in the rain requires the rider to go in for a pressure wash more than the bike.
Old 4th September 2014, 15:13   #2742
BHPian

Been following the Duke 200 and 390 forums in both xbhp and team-bhp for sometime. I guess I will end up buying either of the two in the coming month. Will ride it to Leh in July 2015.
I guess the tyre change to Ceat Vertigo at the rear is not exactly stock size of Metzler. Will this affect the ABS?
Also has anybody tried strong after market rims for 390? Cost of such rims?
Also thinking if I can buy Duke 200 and differential amount for riding gear
Can somebody please clarify these doubts.

Last edited by whencut86 : 4th September 2014 at 15:14.
Old 4th September 2014, 15:21   #2743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Will this stop mud from being splattered all over my back, helmet and seat? Does not look like it. Riding this bike in the rain requires the rider to go in for a pressure wash more than the bike.

Naah! It will never stop the rearward and upward splash. I was looking for it for 2 reasons

1. Looks cool
2. Should stop dirt splash to atleast the rear shock's spring and top of the swingarms
Old 4th September 2014, 16:01   #2744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks cool
Sure does

Quote:
Should stop dirt splash to atleast the rear shock's spring and top of the swingarms
Ah yeah.

I am concerned how much of this muck lands on that tiny open gap on the chain guard and on the front sprocket.
Old 5th September 2014, 11:42   #2745
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So how many 390 Duke owners are anxiously waiting for this tire hugger from the RC
I'll tell you what I'm waiting for, to see if the RC's tank shroud will fit the 390. IMO, the 390's tank shroud design is more suited for a super moto style leg down type cornering as opposed to locking your outside leg on the tank n hanging off. Don't care what anyone says it's a hit n miss trying to lock your outside leg whilst cornering. It's ok as long as you have good view of a corner well ahead. Side to side transitions specifically can see you hang onto the bars for support

Plus it should free up some room for taller riders. That tank flare really fouls against your knee guards whilst changing gear

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 5th September 2014 at 11:43.

Most Viewed