Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2014, 15:23   #2821
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Help!!!

Last week a traffic cop stopped me at 8 pm for i was riding my duke with a pair of 10W CREE LED lights on. He stopped me and asked me to switchoff the light as it was not legal. I tried reasoning with him saying it was LED and not HID without projectors, to which he simply replied LED light as not allowed within city limits. LEDs are future of lighting, and are already being used in automobile industry. i did not argue as he simply let me go by asking me to switch-off the light.
I guess he would have stopped me as those LEDs are WHITE. Is there anyway of finding out What is allowed and what is not? is is a centre based rule or differs from state to state? Is is categorized by type of light (halogen/ led/ hid) or temperature of light (yellow/ white/ blue)?

The LED lighs which i was using has specs as follows:
  • Theoretical Lumens Output: 1000 lm
  • Operating Lumens Output: 720lm(CREE LED)
  • Colour Temperature: 6500k
  • Nominal Voltage DC: 12/24V
http://a2z-motorcycle-superstore.com/products/led/10W-Cree-LED-foglight-round.aspx#.VB_ubFc3VBk

All i want to know is if i am on right or wrong side of the law with my pair of LED lights?
Old 22nd September 2014, 15:36   #2822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
May be I am doing something wrong. N->1 is a bit clunky but everything else on the upshift is pretty smooth. Buttery even. Downshifts, not quite so much.
Just try a blip on the throttle before a downshift sir. Works wonders !
I believe this is what is termed rev-matching.

Never had to do it on the Unicorn or the Zma, but it became a habit after reading about it somewhere and it suitably tempers the Duchess' downshifts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Help!!!
All i want to know is if i am on right or wrong side of the law with my pair of LED lights?
Sirji, technically speaking, any modifications that one makes to a motor vehicle that aren't manufacturer-spec (upto and including changing the rear-tyre to a different profile) is illegal.
The enforcement of this however completely depends on the traffic cops propensity towards catching/fining motorists.

Cheers !

Sundar

Last edited by MavericK46 : 22nd September 2014 at 15:41. Reason: Added a quote...
Old 22nd September 2014, 15:42   #2823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Be careful to keep your fingers FAR away from the rotating chain and sprocket when you do this. And always work on the section of chain that is moving AWAY from the sprocket.
Sure, but I only lubed the chain using the 3M chain spray, My hands were pretty safe. I wouldn't risk my hand for the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
It might take a few minutes more but please don't engage in gear and clean or lube the chain.
Naveen. It felt pretty safe. Everything was under control. The bike hardly moved from it's position. I was only worried about putting the weight of the bike on the exhaust. It turned out to be pretty strong and hence no worries.

I had almost bought a local racing stand at 2k. The guy then increased the price to 3k. I somehow thought, it's not worth 3k.
Old 22nd September 2014, 15:44   #2824
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraizer View Post
Naveen. It felt pretty safe. Everything was under control. The bike hardly moved from it's position. I was only worried about putting the weight of the bike on the exhaust. It turned out to be pretty strong and hence no worries.

I had almost bought a local racing stand at 2k. The guy then increased the price to 3k. I somehow thought, it's not worth 3k.
Yes, I was talking about the finger crusher only Heard horror stories of chain sprockets eating up fingers.
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 15:46   #2825
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I then lifted the jack; could start the bike, engage it in gear and lube it in under 10 sec.
Rotate the rear wheel manually instead of firing up the engine. You could get fingers or clothes stuck in the gear teeth while cleaning and lubing the wheel. Consequences can be painful and disastrous.

Use extreme caution while performing maintenance tasks like this. You can get a paddock stand fabricated for a couple of thousand rupees so why bother with this juggad? I used to do this earlier on my bike as well but promptly got a paddock done from a local shop through a friend. I paid around 1.5k back then for the paddock so it should cost you around this figure for your bike.

Last edited by n_aditya : 22nd September 2014 at 15:49.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 15:51   #2826
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Rotate the rear wheel manually instead of firing up the engine. You could get fingers or clothes stuck in the gear teeth while cleaning and lubing the wheel. Consequences can be painful and disastrous.

Use extreme caution while performing maintenance tasks like this. You can get a paddock stand fabricated for a couple of thousand rupees so why bother with this juggad? I used to do this earlier on my bike as well but promptly got a paddock done from a local shop through a friend.
I see the service centre guys do exactly this way. They mount the bike on the stand and start the bike and engage in first gear and start spraying the lube. I thought, this is how you must lube the chain. Looking at the number of people saying it could be potentially dangerous, it's best to avoid this jugaad I guess.

Thanks for the advice guys. Appreciate this very much!
Old 22nd September 2014, 16:33   #2827
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looking at the number of people saying it could be potentially dangerous, it's best to avoid this jugaad I guess.
Yes please! That is best avoided. Your fingers will be caught in between the sprocket and chain before you even realize it!

Once I was cleaning the chain while having a conversation with a friend. I was manually spinning the wheel and cleaning and at a point of time my concentration shifted from to the cleaning activity. Before my mind returned back, I felt a sharp pain in my index finger. And I dont know how, it was wedged partially between the lower part of the sprocket and the chain and I just stopped the spinning just in time by sheer luck! Imagine the situation if I had opted for cleaning it with the engine running and gear enganed.

You wont believe the sheer number of people (experienced riders included) who make this mistake and learn from it the hard way.

Last edited by man_of_steel : 22nd September 2014 at 16:35.
Old 22nd September 2014, 16:55   #2828
Senior - BHPian

Very careless on my part. The bike was filled with nitrogen in the early days. I did not maintain nitrogen. Topped up using my foot pump later on. Now; I have no memory of when I last checked tire pressure so when I checked yesterday, I was shocked to find a reading of 15psi! I have been riding the bike with this pressure for quite a while and even with a pillion. I should have felt a wobble easily or a strain, none observed. Now I have filled up to the usual 28-29 psi. I have never done this before but even at this rating, it is possible to push some of the surface rubber IN. Gives you the impression the tire is under inflated. Does the tire flex so easily on the top surface?

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 22nd September 2014 at 16:58.
Old 22nd September 2014, 17:00   #2829
BHPian

I just finished 1800+km on my 390. Guwahati - Shillong - Cherapunji - Phuentsholing - Paro - Thimpu - Phuentsholing - Guwahati.

No breakdowns, no punctures, no trouble. Rode the bike stock. Only added sliders.

Will share the link to pictures once done.

Cheers! a
Old 22nd September 2014, 17:09   #2830
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavericK46 View Post
Just try a blip on the throttle before a downshift sir. Works wonders !
I believe this is what is termed rev-matching.

Sundar
Thanks, Sundar. I do it when I remember but downshifts are not quite as smooth. Must be my style.

BTW, when the discussion started on jacking up the bike for cleaning, I thought what was meant was that the jack will be set under the bobbin point on the non-chain side with the stand down on the chain side. This, along with the front wheel, will give you a 3 point stand to lift the wheel off the ground when the jack is raised and will not stress any point not designed for that. If this is a new idea, just try it. Might work better than the under-the-exhaust method. Again, I echo the thoughts about running the engine to lube the chain - it is just stupid.

I dont use this technique - I have a paddock stand that I bought for 800 bucks. Works just fine.

Last edited by sridhu : 22nd September 2014 at 17:10.
Old 22nd September 2014, 17:37   #2831
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanskumar View Post
I just finished 1800+km on my 390. Guwahati - Shillong - Cherapunji - Phuentsholing - Paro - Thimpu - Phuentsholing - Guwahati.

No breakdowns, no punctures, no trouble. Rode the bike stock. Only added sliders.

Will share the link to pictures once done.

Cheers! a
OT :-

That is one nice ride you did there. I am planning to do exactly the same next week. Can you drop me a PM? Cant message you because of your newbie tag on the forum.
Old 22nd September 2014, 18:18   #2832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormania View Post
OT :-

That is one nice ride you did there. I am planning to do exactly the same next week. Can you drop me a PM? Cant message you because of your newbie tag on the forum.
Not able to do that.. drop me a mail on adityaaguptaa@gmail.com / will share my number with you.
Old 22nd September 2014, 19:13   #2833
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Thanks for the advice. I am surely putting my money on what you have suggested.

What is the difference between a stand bobbin, spools and a crash bobbin. Are they one and the same? If I look at the mount points for a crash bobbin, I can't figure out how it manages to save the bike during a tumble You are still going to have lots of broken bits.

The RJ paddock stand lifts the front end too?
Spools or spindles basically go to the wheels/rear swingarm. The place where people are confused is crash bobbin vs frame sliders, wherein it's clearly an oxymoron. These are nothing but crash guards, termed fancy!

Rjays stand can be used to both lift the rear and the front.

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 22nd September 2014 at 19:15.
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 22:30   #2834
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
I have a paddock stand that I bought for 800 bucks. Works just fine.
Could you provide the details of where you procured it? Can I buy one online in India

I do not wish to spend any more than 2k on a stand. The ones Bacchu motors and others (KTM themselves) sell are in excess of 7k. Any help with this is much appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 23rd September 2014, 04:33   #2835
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Could you provide the details of where you procured it? Can I buy one online in India

I do not wish to spend any more than 2k on a stand. The ones Bacchu motors and others (KTM themselves) sell are in excess of 7k. Any help with this is much appreciated.

Thanks!
Saqib jameel of the Kriegers. Sms only please. +91 9739048973

The man has a real job!

Prices may have gone up Slightly . The stand is well made but only for the dukes. Slightly crude but functional.

Makes it in batches. So may not be available on demand or off the shelf

Let's gear up also had some for about 3k. That was more generic but since I only have the Duke...
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed