Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2014, 10:52   #2926
BANNED

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Sorry for the off topic post

Wanted to know if KTM Bajaj has solved the issue with the High Coolant Temperature. A lot of 390's were facing this issue. A friend of mine had the same issue. At first the service authorities said that there is an issue with the sensor which was replaced but the error kept coming. Kept his bike for few days and called the engineers upon which they came to know that one of the side casing was forcefully placed which was not letting the oil to pass and hence causing the error. I have seen many users complaining about the error but don't know if it got rectified. I hope KTM does something before they get treated like Royal Enfield
Old 14th October 2014, 11:07   #2927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Can a person who has absolutely no fear and regard for his or other's life and weaving in and out in heavy traffic on road be termed as a skilled rider? I would say its not.

IMHO, riding skill should be defined along with the terms maturity and sensibility.
I would disagree with this. If a skilled rider is someone who can make their bike do exactly what they want it to do in any situation, which from Urban_Nomad's post, the rider appeared to be.

Now, whether this makes him someone who can be deemed to be safe on public roads is an entirely different matter. One can be skilled and reckless; especially when the term 'skilled' is being used with the word 'rider' alone.

I think a large part of us not willing to give riders like this the label of being skilled is an ego issue. It took me a while to come to terms with this. But at the end of the day, riding on public roads is much more than just being able to operate a vehicle (no matter how skillfully). It is about sharing the road with other vehicle operators. This involves being able to predict other's movements, remain predictable for others and putting public safety above and beyond what is convenient or desirable for ourselves.

So, while I do not enjoy sharing the roads with reckless riders whose testicles are the size of small planets, I cannot deny the fact that they are skilled. The reckless ones without the skill to back it up have been scraped off the road a long time ago.
GreaseMonk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2014, 11:24   #2928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonk View Post
If a skilled rider is someone who can make their bike do exactly what they want it to do in any situation, which from Urban_Nomad's post, the rider appeared to be.
I am getting your point and do understand it completely. Again quoting Urban_Nomad's post and thinking out loud

Quote:
I had my heart in my mouth when u overtook that bus from the left with barely an inch to spare. The odds catch up to us all
Will he be skilled enough to make the bike exaclty what he wanted to, if:

- that bus had to suddenly move left when the mindless auto waalah in front of him applied sudden brake when he felt like taking a U-Turn? Or
- a pedestrian/dog/cow steps on to the road from footpath

Is'nt anticipating all these a part of the skill? Whether these scenarios happen or not is an entirely different thing altogether. But there is a fair amount of chance that they might happen.

Last edited by man_of_steel : 14th October 2014 at 11:27.
man_of_steel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2014, 11:34   #2929
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

Yes, given an arrow straight road, perfect visibility, a tall unbroken fence on each side, and zero traffic, if you train one enough, even a chimp can be taught how to twist the throttle to the stop and keep it there.

Thanks for the laughs Doc.

Gentlemen, since I am the instigator here, I apologise, I will be more careful with my language in future. So please smile and let's move on.
Regards to all!
Insearch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2014, 11:57   #2930
BHPian

OT but worth mentioning. It happened with a friend of mine more than 15 years ago.

There was a friend of his who, knowing that he had a relaxed riding style, egged him to race with him. One fine day when he had had enough he said yes. So from a red light, during peak office hours, they started.

My friend's friend pulled hard just like the one in the Mad Max. Soon enough he was out of sight. Needless to say he won. That evening when he was boasting of it in front of a gathering, my friend coolly replied that he had barely opened the throttle and had ridden relaxed as he daily did.

Let the idiots have the satisfaction. Please don't race on roads. It is not even worth the smallest dent.
Old 14th October 2014, 15:00   #2931
Senior - BHPian

Just to once again underline what an enormously potent machine the Duke 390 really is, but equally that its not only about the machine but also the rider, I'd like to share this timesheet from the last trackday event at the BIC in Delhi.

I recall Akshay saying on the RC thread that a friend of his CBR 250 friend used to do 2:37's on the track with his Duke 390. Well, I don't know if his friend and mine are the same, but No. 3 on the list (my friend and long time Bullet buddy) is a Duke 390. As is No. 9. All the others on that list are superbikes (600+). Most of them I4's, some V's as well. I know there is a Daytona in that list somewhere. And a Ducati.

If I recall correctly, the 5.137 km long circuit has the world's 5th longest straight at 1.06 kms incidentally. More than enough distance for all of these machines to hit their top speeds. And its built for F1 cars, sweeping and wide, so there can be no question of a tight narrow technical circuit (like Kari) helping the smaller lighter bikes ......

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20140921wa0001.jpg

The 390 may not sound nice, may look garish to some, may break its wheels like eggshells, may jerk and fart and stall, and may not have the best fit and finish or quality overall.

But boy, can she move!!!!

And this is Imran's bike prepped the night before. Enjoy!

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20140920wa0002.jpg

Last edited by ebonho : 14th October 2014 at 15:10.
ebonho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th October 2014, 19:30   #2932
Senior - BHPian

Oi Insearch - See what a hornet's nest you have stirred up? Naughty boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
not to forget owning a marquee brand
Avi bro, this is a classic case of "ghar ki murgi.....". Just because it is being made available to us at a relatively affordable price point we so easily discount the brand that is KTM the world over. And I was reminded of the same very recently. I am talking to the good people at Revzilla to purchase a leather suit as I hope to start riding on the track sooner than later.

On a recent such conversation, the rep on the phone asked me what I rode (I guess he was intrigued when I told him I was calling from India, wanting to do track days with cattle all over the track, LOL). I just said - "KTM" as I was not sure if he would have even heard of the 390. The next words i heard were "Awesome" with a few "amazing"(s) thrown in for good measure. He then asked me if I rode the 690, to which I responded that I rode the 390 Duke. I was surprised to hear him say that he was eagerly awaiting its launch in the US

That!!! is the KTM brand

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Take it to the track !!!
I agree with what you are saying, but I dont think Insearch wanted to prove anything IMO. He was just ecstatic because his machine was able to do what he never though was achieveable - keeping up with the big boys i.e. To my eyes, he is just elated that he more than just kept up and quite chuffed about it.

And the track comment my friend is more applicable to the phoren junta than is desis, no? How many of us have access to either of the 3 tracks this country has to offer? And even if you do, its a mighty expensive affair. Leathers that cost an arm and a leg, track fee that is as high as 8k for an hour on the track. Not even talking about the fuel, tyres and bike protective bits that just take the cost that much higher

Not saying that we must drag race on the street but merely pointing out that going to track to "prove a point", in our country is easier said than done

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
IMHO, riding skill should be defined along with the terms maturity and sensibility.
Actually, there is no reason that skill and insanity cannot co-exist. I could be stark raving mad and still be very very gifted. I definitely think that the guy had big giants cohones and was taking the bike through gaps that I thought did not exist. His control on his bike was admirable

I ride 50 kms one way daily to work. When I am getting ready to ride to work, I have a frame of mind that I will be taking it easy. I know I will encounter traffic and many traffic signals too. I dont see the point of "gunning it" and even then I would at best make 5 - 10 minutes of difference to that 60 minute commute. I would be more tired, hassled and probably be spent by the time I reach work.

Also, I have read many books that tell me whatever that Pulsar guy was doing, he should not be able to do... at least safely. He saw a gap, VROOOOMMMMM. Off he went! Me? I am looking at the dumper ahead that is spilling sand all over the road and I am slowing down trying to watch out for the road surface ahead that might be slippery. I am trying to look at a driver inside the car. Is he busy on his phone, casually crossing over to my lane without a care in the world? Or maybe I have a young couple in the car ahead of me and the guy just cant keep his hands on the steering or his thing in his pants. Processing so much info on the road takes time or maybe I have a noggin thats just plain slow. I just dont feel peaceful unless I have 360 of my surrounding

The books also teach me to be smooth with my inputs. You know; brake gently and progressively (increase the contact patch), push the bars gently to countersteer where you want to go. Now the pulsar fellow - BRREEEPPPPPP -> BRAKE (an inch away from the car ahead), THROW the bike to its side -> BREEEEEEEPPPPP ............ and do all this within no more than an inch's distance from the vehicles around

That guy was fast, no doubt. I could never bring myself to do that and for that reason (i.e. he can do something I cant) I admire him. Actually, I think skill is the wrong word here. I would say he has gonads that are much bigger than mine. But the chances he took just did not feel "justified" to me in any way. The way I see it, if I were to do the same I am:

- Diminishing the chances of seeing my family in one piece
- Am spending more energy and being "hectic"
- Adding to the stereotypical irritating and uncouth Indian biker
- Spending more fuel and therefore money

On the other hand, and this will sound like a wannabe statement, I think I will do better than him in a closed environment on equally matched bikes. His body position was all wrong - He was sitting flush on the tank (almost on it actually), with his flip flops dangling from the footpegs. He will not be able to move around well on the bike, a fact that was quite apparent as I easily maneuvered around a couple of longish open curves while he was slower than what I thought he would be (a little speck really). Or maybe it was just the bikes at play here

I save my Rossi antics for the journey home. Brilliant stretches of road with sparse traffic and a few fast curves (India gate roundabouts, right up till Shanti Path)

All in all, I guess I am a wuss. Just today, I hurriedly got into an adjoining (right) lane to avoid an auto in front of me. A fabia was in that lane and had to brake a bit hard (ish) and I could see that the guy was not very happy about it. I pulled next to him and gestured an apology. He just smiled back with a "koi nahi" type nod. I was so pleased. Sheeshhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
but equally that its not only about the machine but also the rider

And this is Imran's bike prepped the night before. Enjoy!
Imran is bhaijaan and bhaijaan is THE man!!! An excellent rider and a good person all round

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 14th October 2014 at 19:45.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2014, 20:50   #2933
BHPian

Guys , taking delivery tomorrow and have few queries -
1. current ex showroom price ? the price quoted to me is 1.88 L bringing the on road price to 2.086 from 2.065 quoted early September . Just want to make sure he is not trying to dupe me , he already tried to get 1,500 from me for teflon which I refused of course.

2. Is the front fender mudguard stock or extra ? The bike allotted to me doesn't have one . Further on , is it normally fitted at the dealership or should be done right from the factory ? Any other fixture/accessory that a dealer might potentially skip on or try to charge me for .

3. How does one check for/'measure' chain tension ? I know newbie question this one but a somewhat elaborate answer will be appreciated with the pros and cons or chain tension and how to identify the chain is too tight or slack from ride characteristic.

Last edited by basuroy : 14th October 2014 at 20:55.
Old 14th October 2014, 21:36   #2934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. current ex showroom price ? the price quoted to me is 1.88 L bringing the on road price to 2.086 from 2.065 quoted early September . Just want to make sure he is not trying to dupe me , he already tried to get 1,500 from me for teflon which I refused of course.

2. Is the front fender mudguard stock or extra ? The bike allotted to me doesn't have one . Further on , is it normally fitted at the dealership or should be done right from the factory ? Any other fixture/accessory that a dealer might potentially skip on or try to charge me for .

3. How does one check for/'measure' chain tension ? I know newbie question this one but a somewhat elaborate answer will be appreciated with the pros and cons or chain tension and how to identify the chain is too tight or slack from ride characteristic.
Check few other dealers around the city and near by cities. You will get a picture of the final price.

Front mud guard or miniature flap will be fixed before your leave. Hand guards are standard and so is the saree guard.

Chain tension - It will become lose irrespective of what you set when you take your delivery. The handbook has enough information on identifying the chain slack. Some here basically wait till we hear the chain making noise hitting different parts in the rear and thats when we tighten the chain.

Good luck
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2014, 22:46   #2935
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Check few other dealers around the city and near by cities. You will get a picture of the final price.

Front mud guard or miniature flap will be fixed before your leave. Hand guards are standard and so is the saree guard.

Chain tension - It will become lose irrespective of what you set when you take your delivery. The handbook has enough information on identifying the chain slack. Some here basically wait till we hear the chain making noise hitting different parts in the rear and thats when we tighten the chain.

Good luck
Thank you Sir . Only one dealer in bareilly who have sold a grand total of 3 390's so far . Said the price hike was done along with rc390 introduction , no biggie but wanted to make sure he is not trying to pull a fast one on me(he didn't so much offer me 'teflon' for 1,500 initially as termed it mandatory ).
Old 15th October 2014, 09:54   #2936
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
I agree with what you are saying, but I dont think Insearch wanted to prove anything IMO.
My comment was in general and not directed at anyone in particular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
And the track comment my friend is more applicable to the phoren junta than is desis, no? How many of us have access to either of the 3 tracks this country has to offer? And even if you do, its a mighty expensive affair. Leathers that cost an arm and a leg, track fee that is as high as 8k for an hour on the track. Not even talking about the fuel, tyres and bike protective bits that just take the cost that much higher
BIC is expensive but down south it's a lot cheaper. At Kari, 2 days at the track would cost around 8k - 10k IIRC. Was a little lesser than this a year back when I went to Kari.

That said, I meant that it's safer to discover, learn, exploit the limits of your machine on the track than on the street (again this is a general comment and not directed at anyone)
Old 15th October 2014, 10:39   #2937
BHPian

Hi guys. Earlier I had put up a post requesting info on Iridium spark plug for solving the stalling problem under cold engine conditions.

As I did further research, I found out that iridium has less conductivity than copper, which means copper spark plugs perform better. However, iridium tips lasts much longer than copper.

So I guess, changing to iridium plugs will not solve the stalling problem.

Can any body advise on MSD ignition system for bikes??? I had used MSD in my esteem, and it seemed to work well. Anybody have any experience with MSD for bikes.
Old 15th October 2014, 11:56   #2938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
As I did further research, I found out that iridium has less conductivity than copper, which means copper spark plugs perform better. However, iridium tips lasts much longer than copper.
So I guess, changing to iridium plugs will not solve the stalling problem.
Can any body advise on MSD ignition system for bikes??? I had used MSD in my esteem, and it seemed to work well. Anybody have any experience with MSD for bikes.
The spark plug in itself has a series resistor included in its construction. So, the resistance of the electrode is irrelevant in series with the plug resistor or wires.
Iridium is used because of its high melting point and durability, not because of their electrical conductivity (which is irrelevant in series with the plug resistor or wires). The smaller electrode also absorbs less heat from the spark and initial flame energy.
The most critical component which determines the performance of the spark plug is the heat rating and the surface area of the electrode tip.
Iridium is one of the metals which is easily available, is a highly renown high temperature electrode, is hard and brittle. Also, Iridium is the most corrosion-resistant metal known. It is not attacked by almost any acid, molten metals, or silicates at high temperatures.
Iridium spark plugs, by virtue of its small surface area electrode tip will produce sparks of much higher strength than most other single elctrode designs. If iridium spark plugs are not able to fix the stalling issue your machine has, it's time to look elsewhere.
I have extensively used Iridium spark plugs over the 150cc bikes I used to ride and the results have been very positive, even in the winters at Nagpur ~ 10-14 Deg C. I could notice a slight change in exhaust note, a marginal increase in mileage, throttle response and noticeably better cold starts.
In an engine which runs as hot as Duke's, copper electrodes don't stand a chance. I am yet to change a spark plug on my 390. So I don't know the cost of the standard replacement spark plug. I guess it should be some high performance electrode tested to withstand the temperatures the subject engine is capable of generating.
Regarding the MSD ignition, I wouldn't recommend fiddling with the electricals of Duke or any well engineered machine. MSD was always intended and are specialists for earlier generation multi carburetted American muscle cars where some extra sparks will help to ignite the unburnt fuel in the array of cylinders. Even if they have a system specifically engineered for a single cylinder, I doubt how much they will work in sync with the Bosch systems in the Duke.
Do let us know when you find the glitch.

Last edited by sharanvenu : 15th October 2014 at 11:58. Reason: revised some terminology
Old 15th October 2014, 12:46   #2939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharanvenu View Post
I could notice a slight change in exhaust note, a marginal increase in mileage, throttle response and noticeably better cold starts.
In an engine which runs as hot as Duke's, copper electrodes don't stand a chance. I am yet to change a spark plug on my 390. So I don't know the cost of the standard replacement spark plug. I guess it should be some high performance electrode tested to withstand the temperatures the subject engine is capable of generating.
Regarding the MSD ignition, I wouldn't recommend fiddling with the electricals of Duke or any well engineered machine. MSD was always intended and are specialists for earlier generation multi carburetted American muscle cars where some extra sparks will help to ignite the unburnt fuel in the array of cylinders. Even if they have a system specifically engineered for a single cylinder, I doubt how much they will work in sync with the Bosch systems in the Duke.
Do let us know when you find the glitch.
I am at the KTM kochi service centre while I am writing this. To my utter dismay, the oil level was way below the empty level when upright, only while tilting, could I see the oil. And the chain was slack. They are topping up the oil and adjusting the chain.

I am definitely changing to iridium spark plug on first service. Mean while the service advisor has promised to rectify the stalling problem during the fisrt service. He claims to know the cause.😊

He says 390 is equipped with a decompressor valve. And he says it must be the problem of the valve. Hope that is the answer. Fingers crossed.😊
Old 15th October 2014, 14:03   #2940
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
To my utter dismay, the oil level was way below the empty level when upright, only while tilting, could I see the oil.. They are topping up the oil and adjusting the chain..

I am definitely changing to iridium spark plug on first service. Mean while the service advisor has promised to rectify the stalling problem during the fisrt service. He claims to know the cause.😊
He says 390 is equipped with a decompressor valve. And he says it must be the problem of the valve. Hope that is the answer. Fingers crossed.😊
Good to know that you have got a solution. Keep us posted.
My two Cents. Can you coax and convince him to drain the oil and replace? We can be sure that no damage was done. Tell him "Chettan vichaarichaal nadakkum" . Translates to "you can get it done if you try"
One thing that came to my notice is that the owner's manual recommends Synth oil of rating 10W-50 and my service bill indicates Motul 7100 20W-50. I doubt whether 10W-50 motul is available here and most of us will have 20W-50 filled in by service centers. Can you double check and let me know about this?

Most Viewed