But don't let that hold you back.
Old 29th October 2014, 13:42   #3122
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Yes you are.

But don't let that hold you back.
Not here no , if I don't contest then I don't gain anything either hence I enjoy taking part in any discussion even if I am out of depth . But on road I take it easy , the upside is I can enjoy the bike and do/learn new things with it for a long long time so no need to psuh the bike to its limits and get a road rash just now .

Last edited by basuroy : 29th October 2014 at 13:43.
Old 29th October 2014, 15:12   #3123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharanvenu View Post
Another thing that surprised me was that he has completed about 1300kms in a month, which is fair enough, if not great. I smell something fishy here.
Touchwood, my ride has done way less than that ~1100 and its running fine.
If the issue pops up again after charging the battery, tell him to get the stator coil checked. Sometimes those give away, and it will be covered under warranty.

As far as jump starts are concerned are you sure that the guy who advised you did not confuse it with a "dhakka start"? I'm not sure about the 390, but all fuel injected car manuals have a section dedicated to jump starts with proper jump start cables in their manuals. If done properly, there should be no damage.
Old 29th October 2014, 15:14   #3124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
From the mileage figure you posted , I assumed the bike was in daily use but I still ask was it standing around for a few days when this warning popped up? I understand modern batteries don't discharge so fast so the issue might be something else. How long has he owned the bike now and total mileage if you can guess a rough figure ?
The bike rolled out of the showroom 32 days ago and did 1300km ever since. And that looks like atleast a couple of 200km rides, which is pretty good for a working guy. And no, he didn't leave it parked. This is why something is not right.
Has any body tried push starting their dukes? I know that's not going to work . But I am sure there must be at least one guy might have tried it.

Last edited by sharanvenu : 29th October 2014 at 15:16. Reason: suddenly remembered to add something.
Old 29th October 2014, 15:17   #3125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Has any body tried push starting their dukes? I know that's not going to work . But I am sure there must be at least one guy might have tried it.
Yes I have dhakka started my Duke not once but twice (eventually had the battery replaced under warranty).

Apparently the battery continues to have enough juice to prime the fuel pump (very little current required) even when it does not have adequate charge to crank the engine. You can even hear the initial priming hummmm when you switch on the ignition. But if you then try to crank the engine, it just goes click click.

Last edited by ebonho : 29th October 2014 at 15:20.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 15:29   #3126
BHPian

Quote:
Yes I have dhakka started my Duke not once but twice (eventually had the battery replaced under warranty)
Doc,
Please tell us which gear is best to make this work. I guess it would be the 3rd gear for D390. Thank you.
Old 29th October 2014, 15:44   #3127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Doc,
Please tell us which gear is best to make this work. I guess it would be the 3rd gear for D390. Thank you.
I used the second gear on my Duke 200. Both times. Unlike the Bullet, it starts with barely a 5-10 meter running start. And its much easier to push as well.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 20:12   #3128
BHPian

AFTER MY FIRST SERVICE

OMG !!!!!! The bike has totally transformed. The stalling issue has vanished. And now I known what doc was saying.

Earlier, the bike was totally disconnected from me. As if all the different parts were working in coherently. The throttle caliberation was way out of whack. I have been complaining about the lack of bottom end torque. But now I realise that I was actually right. There was some problem with the initial pick up. Now it's gone. There is good bottom end torque.

Now the bike is simply fantastic. Not that it is smoother, but the throttle modulation has become very accurate.

Guys have you experienced this transformation? Or is it my experience only?

The service guy said that there wasn't any problem with the bike. Then why did I experience all these initial gripes?
Old 29th October 2014, 20:37   #3129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
AFTER MY FIRST SERVICE

OMG !!!!!! The bike has totally transformed. The stalling issue has vanished. And now I known what doc was saying.

Earlier, the bike was totally disconnected from me. As if all the different parts were working in coherently. The throttle caliberation was way out of whack. I have been complaining about the lack of bottom end torque. But now I realise that I was actually right. There was some problem with the initial pick up. Now it's gone. There is good bottom end torque.

Now the bike is simply fantastic. Not that it is smoother, but the throttle modulation has become very accurate.

Guys have you experienced this transformation? Or is it my experience only?

The service guy said that there wasn't any problem with the bike. Then why did I experience all these initial gripes?
Your post gives me confidence because today a short 10km round trip to attend to some chores was a disheartening ride(involved some traffic and hence relatively low speed crawling) , at lower speeds and especially first gear there this strong feeling of something resisting the pick up . Even after the bike is warm , the response below 5k rpm is simply not good and below 4k rpm in first 2 gears is insufferable .To put it simply my bike has not felt as good as I expected it to be so far and until now I was excusing it to the engine bedding in , me adapting to the bike and such . Lets hopes my experience betters after the first service as well though seeing as how the folks here have sold a total of 4 390's so far , their experience level is really low LOL .

PS: I extensively went through ownership feedback and majority reported a noticeable improvement right after first service so you are not alone , it was also those feedback which have allowed to me to excuse the niggles so far with my bike .

I have a query of myself btw guys -

I often hear this sound from the front at speeds around 30-50 that can be explained as either wind passing through the radiator fan and rotating it or a flat tire . It is very annoying and the front doesn't appears or behave like a flat should so just curious if my first assumption is possible and hence the explanation ? it is not consistent either and that is the weird part , infuriates me when that happens .

Last edited by basuroy : 29th October 2014 at 20:48.
Old 29th October 2014, 21:12   #3130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
Your post gives me confidence because today a short 10km round trip to attend to some chores was a disheartening ride(involved some traffic and hence relatively low speed crawling) , at lower speeds and especially first gear there this strong feeling of something resisting the pick up . Even after the bike is warm , the response below 5k rpm is simply not good and below 4k rpm in first 2 gears is insufferable .To put it simply my bike has not felt as good as I expected it to be so far and until now I was excusing it to the engine bedding in , me adapting to the bike and such . Lets hopes my experience betters after the first service as well though seeing as how the folks here have sold a total of 4 390's so far , their experience level is really low LOL .

PS: I extensively went through ownership feedback and majority reported a noticeable improvement right after first service so you are not alone , it was also those feedback which have allowed to me to excuse the niggles so far with my bike .

I have a query of myself btw guys -

I often hear this sound from the front at speeds around 30-50 that can be explained as either wind passing through the radiator fan and rotating it or a flat tire . It is very annoying and the front doesn't appears or behave like a flat should so just curious if my first assumption is possible and hence the explanation ? it is not consistent either and that is the weird part , infuriates me when that happens .
In think you need to wait till the first service. Lot of things changed after that. I will put it in a list, which you can verify

You can expect

1. A noticeable improvement in engine response.

2. Engine feels as if it breaths better.

3. Noticeable reduction in the working of the radiator fan. Even after hard riding, it switches on for a few second and turns off, when the engine is in idle.

4. Same noises. I didn't find any reduction in noises from the engine side.

5. The engine response to the throttle can be varied to the minutest degree. Earlier the throttle and the engine were not in sync.

6. Lesser vibes in the lower rpms in higher gears.
Old 29th October 2014, 21:15   #3131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What pray is a regular tourer?

Let's speak India here please, and not global theory
Hey Doc. Just my POV and what I define as a tourer:

- Should have ample space for 2 up riding
- Should have a neutral riding posture
- Should do 100 kph, with a pillion, and "reasonable" amount of luggage all day long without vibes
- With a pillion and luggage, should not struggle on mountains
- Have a neutral suspension : not too soft nor too "race bred" harsh
- Preferred : ABS

Again, these are my specifications and does not need to meet anyone else's notions and criterion

The Duke ticks most of the above boxes with the exception of:

- 2 up riding
- Neutral riding posture : With its rearset footpegs I would classify the riding stance as somewhat sporty. I am 5.11 and I feel a lot more comfy when I am slightly leaned fwd as opposed to sitting bolt upright

For a single person to tour the length and breadth of the nation, it is more than adequate. And no, a change of inexpensive rubber to tackle the not so great roads is not a deal breaker at all.

But with all the above in mind, I think the Inazuma is just about perfect. But even after the price cut, it is at least 50k more expensive than it is worthy of

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 29th October 2014 at 21:16.
Old 29th October 2014, 21:17   #3132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I apologise. I know that all people in this thread are die hard fans of 390, including yours only.
We are fans of all bikes. In fact we would even put the 390 down in many places. It has nothing to do with being die hard about 390. I am sharing based on experience what 390 means to us.

Probably me and Dr are used to the 500, its niggles, its constant craving for attention and atleast 2-3 hrs a week of literally checking every parts in the bull compared to remove side stand, insert key(any order), start ride, return, remove keys, park(any order again) of the 390. And we can see us reaching out to the 390 when the distance keeps increasing for those weekend trips.

Its sounds simple but its not a simple thing. The bull has been the tourer for a long time for us. The 390 atleast for me replaces the whole concept of touring at 2L price range which is not much higher than the 500 itself.

And for city rides i still like the Yamaha 100cc, those short fury handle bars and the sweet sound of those two cylinders and unbelievable amount of grip on the road where i have seen folks literally going parallel to the ground and raising up like a phoenix in those yamahas.

We are blind to the niggles posted here about the 390 for these niggles are so minimal compared to what we have been through for 10+ years with the bull. And we have taken that extra effort with LOVE and we have spent those 2-3 hrs a week in our own front porch and a few extra hours i the mechanic shed just to make the bull prettier for riding.

The 390 changed the way one can plan for a ride. A day ride to cover 600 odd kms is now totally possible where i would have planned for 500 and spend the day locally roaming. This is a very pessimistic number. The bike has not broken down or reported broken down with respect to running time.

I miss my 390..i miss my 500 more. The only thing i will try is the Fz1 which is a childish dream to ride one everyday to work .

Quote:
our post gives me confidence because today a short 10km round trip to attend to some chores was a disheartening ride(involved some traffic and hence relatively low speed crawling) , at lower speeds and especially first gear there this strong feeling of something resisting the pick up . Even after the bike is warm , the response below 5k rpm is simply not good and below 4k rpm in first 2 gears is insufferable .To put it simply my bike has not felt as good as I expected it to be so far and until now I was excusing it to the engine bedding in , me adapting to the bike and such . Lets hopes my experience betters after the first service as well though seeing as how the folks here have sold a total of 4 390's so far , their experience level is really low LOL .

Are you guys even throttling. I am worried if you are approaching this bike differently. Are you holding yourself up till the first service and changing your style of riding considering the run in scare these dealers pass on to customers?

Because this is exactly what they do in the first service. Water wash and change oil. Nothing else is even touched. Nothing else for sure. There is nothing drastically changing after the first service.

Now start enjoying the bike and as Dr said, let us know after few months how your experience changes.

By the way, i love the bike in the city more than the highway. This is a pocket rocket in the city and just makes things so easy in so many places

Quote:
2 up riding
- Neutral riding posture
I agree with the first point. This not a tour'er with partners.

On point two, try moving the handle bar closer towards you and the pegs based on shoes you wear. The seat is hard and needs additional cushioning and if you can load the rear seat with luggage and tie it slightly tilting towards the front seat, the back support is perfect for those long rides.

Last edited by VW2010 : 29th October 2014 at 21:19.
Old 29th October 2014, 21:37   #3133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
On point two, try moving the handle bar closer towards you and the pegs based on shoes you wear
I have adjusted the handlebars to my liking

But are the footpegs adjustable? Dont think so. More info please

Edit - How tall are you? I dont want anything to intrude the limited space I have on the bike. I am sitting almost at the begining / hump of the rear seat. I tie down my luggage (office bag) as far back on the seat as possible. But another issue with that is the luggage covers the tail lamp and I dont think its very visible to the folks behind me, especially taller vehicles

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 29th October 2014 at 21:40.
Old 29th October 2014, 21:57   #3134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But are the footpegs adjustable? Dont think so. More info please

Edit - How tall are you?
Foot pegs can be slightly adjusted based on your shoe size. I am 6'1 and i had first few days very tough rides on the 390. I changed few things including increasing seat height with cushion, handle bar adjustments, softer grip(20 rs ones), mild adjustment to pegs.
Old 29th October 2014, 22:29   #3135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Foot pegs can be slightly adjusted based on your shoe size. I am 6'1 and i had first few days very tough rides on the 390. I changed few things including increasing seat height with cushion, handle bar adjustments, softer grip(20 rs ones), mild adjustment to pegs.
Could you elaborate on those mild peg adjustments? AFAIK they are fixed n do not offer any adjustability whatsoever

Also, if possible please post a pic of the padded seat please. Did you get the cover changed or re-used the stock one?

Most Viewed