Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2014, 19:45   #3196
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
I think Bajaj is not interested in allocating its resources to improve the QC in domestic bound duke 390, simply because of the price to value proposition it offers.
@mithunvvijayan - Hope your stalling problem gets resolved without any fuss.

You made a very interesting statement. I remember reading reports on how the domestic bound i10 cars were not passing the crash test, but it was not the case with the Australian bound ones.
For the dukes, my assumption is that all the bikes (local or export bound) go through the same assembly/manufacturing chain at the Bajaj plant. By that, both the local and export bound ones should be sharing the same build materials and assembly. I may be wrong, but I am curious to know in what way they are treated differently at the plant. The only thing that I heard is that all export bound bikes are inspected once again at the Austrian site, but I am not sure if that difference in treatment contributes to the issue.
Old 31st October 2014, 21:20   #3197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan_ned View Post
@mithunvvijayan - Hope your stalling problem gets resolved without any fuss.

You made a very interesting statement. I remember reading reports on how the domestic bound i10 cars were not passing the crash test, but it was not the case with the Australian bound ones.
For the dukes, my assumption is that all the bikes (local or export bound) go through the same assembly/manufacturing chain at the Bajaj plant. By that, both the local and export bound ones should be sharing the same build materials and assembly. I may be wrong, but I am curious to know in what way they are treated differently at the plant. The only thing that I heard is that all export bound bikes are inspected once again at the Austrian site, but I am not sure if that difference in treatment contributes to the issue.
Why not? During my orientation in both the companies, I have seen the QC section of both Maruti Suzuki and Hyundai Motors.

QC has absolute right to send back a vehicle to get a problem rectified. Every vehicle is inspected by a visual schedule and then dynotests are done sample wise. The export models had different identifiers.

If the export models undergoes another QC at the austrian site, it will make all the difference.
mithunvvijayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 21:48   #3198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
s for my duke, I have not given it to anyone else for a test ride. Nor am planning to. I know that nothing will happen to it if someone rides it for a few minutes. Still..
I never gave or will give my 500 to anyone who wants to ride. But i will be open to share the 390. Never had any connection with 390. The 390 for me is whatever the 500 is not. 500 to me is something more than just a bike. 390 is just a bike to me . Never felt bad when i sold it when i had to and the 500 is still at home waiting for my return
Old 31st October 2014, 22:06   #3199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I never gave or will give my 500 to anyone who wants to ride. But i will be open to share the 390. Never had any connection with 390. The 390 for me is whatever the 500 is not. 500 to me is something more than just a bike. 390 is just a bike to me . Never felt bad when i sold it when i had to and the 500 is still at home waiting for my return
Why didnt you have any connection with the 390? If I may ask, why did you sell it?
Old 1st November 2014, 20:31   #3200
Senior - BHPian

I sold because i had to relocate to US. And the 500 is something that i started riding with from early 2004. The amount of time i have spent on the bike is one of the reason and the fact that you cant find a good 500 CI is another reason the bike is close to me.

I am a classic collector. In fact some of the things with respect to my camera collections point that way. I have some 1960's lenses and cameras that i still use with modern cameras that makes it more of a collector.

The 390 can be bought anytime i want to so there was no point keeping it and it was always a thrash and use bike for me than save and protect . Sorry to be blunt but i never felt like owning something special. It was just another bike for me.

But that doesnt take away the fact i used 99% 390 when the 390 was with me. Evidence is that i covered close to 8K kms in 2 months and i had only two long rides. All others were in City is the evidence of why i love the 390

Last edited by VW2010 : 1st November 2014 at 20:32.
Old 1st November 2014, 22:01   #3201
BHPian

Quote:
I sold because i had to relocate to US. And the 500 is something that i started riding with from early 2004. The amount of time i have spent on the bike is one of the reason and the fact that you cant find a good 500 CI is another reason the bike is close to me.
I know about the sentiment most people have for their bullet.

Strangely I didn't have it. I sold my electra, because it had a light crank and was jerking below 50 kmph. And it would strain past 80kmph. Sold my classic 500 mainly because it strained beyond 120kmph. I didn't want any innova/ swift nudge past me because of the lack of topspeed.

Quote:

The 390 can be bought anytime i want to so there was no point keeping it and it was always a thrash and use bike for me than save and protect . Sorry to be blunt but i never felt like owning something special. It was just another bike for me.

But that doesnt take away the fact i used 99% 390 when the 390 was with me. Evidence is that i covered close to 8K kms in 2 months and i had only two long rides. All others were in City is the evidence of why i love the 390
Ironically, even after all the niggles I faced in my past 850km of 390 experience, I am really attached to it.
I don't like to go at extreme high speeds in a bike. Still I like the way I feel when I think of the monster motor beneath me, on such a puny bike. And I have a feeling that I will keep it for a long time.
Old 1st November 2014, 22:38   #3202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Strangely I didn't have it. I sold my electra, because it had a light crank and was jerking below 50 kmph. And it would strain past 80kmph. Sold my classic 500 mainly because it strained beyond 120kmph. I didn't want any innova/ swift nudge past me because of the lack of topspeed
If you bought the bull for speed you made a mistake right there. A 220 pulsor will be faster

The bull is comfortable till 90 post which you are rattling the life out of it. Its meant to do all day 90 on permissible highways.

The bike is not for racing a swift or innova in the first place. For that matter none of the bikes are here for racing.

As we said earlier the overall average time to reach a destination comes faster with a 390 compared to the 500.

Dont want to compare these two for each has its own pros and cons. Any superbike or even close to superbike like 390 will only be an add on to my 500.
Old 1st November 2014, 23:01   #3203
BHPian

Quote:
If you bought the bull for speed you made a mistake right there. A 220 pulsor will be faster

The bull is comfortable till 90 post which you are rattling the life out of it. Its meant to do all day 90 on permissible highways.

The bike is not for racing a swift or innova in the first place. For that matter none of the bikes are here for racing.

As we said earlier the overall average time to reach a destination comes faster with a 390 compared to the 500.

Dont want to compare these two for each has its own pros and cons. Any superbike or even close to superbike like 390 will only be an add on to my 500.
Actually I bought the electra to enjoy riding at sedate speeds and enjoy the thumping. But as I said I needed to add heavier crank to ride like the earlier bullets. I didn't want to mess with the original, so sold off after a year of riding and a odo reading of 6000 km. Top speed was not much of an issue at that time.

When the 500 was launched, I thought, it might serve all my purposes, though I felt the jerkiness of light crank, while I took the testride. I thought I would put a heavier crank and the greater torque would take care of the added weight. But I was disappointed when they told me that the crank case design did not allow for a heavier crank. And to top it off, the top speed issue.

And finally in 390, when I test rode it I found out that it hit the bulls eye. There is no comparison between a bullet and a 390, but, only after I bought 390 did I come to know that I was actually searching for a bike with most of the characteristics as of the 390. The low bottom pull I felt in my bike ( which later I recalled, was not there in the test bike ) vanished after the first service. Something to do with the throttle play, it seems.

So will I trade the 390 for an RE in near future? Yes, if RE manages to ek out more power (atleast 40bhp) with a heavier crank , without changing the bore/stoke ratio, from a big single 500cc engine, at an affordable price.
Old 1st November 2014, 23:21   #3204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually I bought the electra to enjoy riding at sedate speeds and enjoy the thumping. But as I said I needed to add heavier crank to ride like the earlier bullets. I didn't want to mess with the original, so sold off after a year of riding and a odo reading of 6000 km. Top speed was not much of an issue at that time.

When the 500 was launched, I thought, it might serve all my purposes, though I felt the jerkiness of light crank, while I took the testride. I thought I would put a heavier crank and the greater torque would take care of the added weight. But I was disappointed when they told me that the crank case design did not allow for a heavier crank. And to top it off, the top speed issue.

And finally in 390, when I test rode it I found out that it hit the bulls eye. There is no comparison between a bullet and a 390, but, only after I bought 390 did I come to know that I was actually searching for a bike with most of the characteristics as of the 390. The low bottom pull I felt in my bike ( which later I recalled, was not there in the test bike ) vanished after the first service. Something to do with the throttle play, it seems.

So will I trade the 390 for an RE in near future? Yes, if RE manages to ek out more power (atleast 40bhp) with a heavier crank , without changing the bore/stoke ratio, from a big single 500cc engine, at an affordable price.
I continue to keep wondering that you're riding the wrong bike.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2014, 02:46   #3205
Senior - BHPian

@ Dr...

To ride sedately and enjoy the thumping and yet it had top speed issue.

The funny part is there is no way to hear the 390 when riding it and the only thing that many can hear is the wind blasting post a point and with a wind shield you can basically be cooler with that wind blast.

Anyway as long as Mithun you are happy with the 390 lets hope you start enjoying it and look for ways to make your ride better than worrying about top end and bottom end.

You wanted low bottom pull yet top speed . May be Lamborghini engine on that trellis frame (just kidding)
Old 2nd November 2014, 08:09   #3206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I continue to keep wondering that you're riding the wrong bike.
Doc, I am not saying that 390 is the ideal bike for me. But there isn't any which fits my requirements.

[quote=VW2010;3569926]@ Dr...
To ride sedately and enjoy the thumping and yet it had top speed issue.

The funny part is there is no way to hear the 390 when riding it and the only thing that many can hear is the wind blasting post a point and with a wind shield you can basically be cooler with that wind blast.

Anyway as long as Mithun you are happy with the 390 lets hope you start enjoying it and look for ways to make your ride better than worrying about top end and bottom end.

You wanted low bottom pull yet top speed . May be Lamborghini engine on that trellis frame

Why do we have to go that far. When they introduced the new UCE engines, RE managed to increase the power out put by almost 50%. This is done without increasing the torque or changing the bore/stroke.
If they can increase the max rpm to around 8000-9000 rpm, power above 40 bhp is quite possible. Liquid cooling, lowering the frictional loses, changes in head, piston, crank etc might be the way to go.

I am actually enjoying the 390. If we putter around below 5000 rpm, the engine sound is quite audible akin to yezdi. It may not the ideal bike for me but there isn't any other choice either.
Old 2nd November 2014, 10:56   #3207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If they can increase the max rpm to around 8000-9000 rpm, power above 40 bhp is quite possible. Liquid cooling, lowering the frictional loses, changes in head, piston, crank etc might be the way to go
Already that RE stable is over priced. What you are asking is there in the form of HD or Triumph. Sorry, it doesnt sound like Yezdi

Yezdi is legendary for me and i would buy one for sure. Its a collectors love to have one Yezdi.

Why do you need 40BHP? For what? and why do you need higher RPM.

I am chasing after 60's bull for i can run it at the lowest rpm and get the vehicle moving.

Like Dr said, you are not sure what bike you want . No matter what you buy i think you will end up comparing with something better and feel its lacking something.

The only ideal thing i did in my life was to sell a bike and buy the 500 and i paid a little over 60K. And now its an investment
Old 2nd November 2014, 11:35   #3208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is done without increasing the torque or changing the bore/stroke.
If they can increase the max rpm to around 8000-9000 rpm, power above 40 bhp is quite possible.
If they are ever (EVER) going for 8000-9000RPM redline without changing the bore/stroke and those pushrods. I would never want to be anywhere near that engine when its revving, let alone be on it.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2014, 12:04   #3209
BHPian

Quote:
Already that RE stable is over priced. What you are asking is there in the form of HD or Triumph. Sorry, it doesnt sound like Yezdi
If they produce such a bike even if for say 2.5-3L I think it's worth it. Didn't say exactly, but some resemblance? At lower speeds?

Quote:
Yezdi is legendary for me and i would buy one for sure. Its a collectors love to have one Yezdi.
If you are searching for Java, nobody is going to sell you with all the parts in it, let alone in a working condition. Roadking,Yes.

Quote:
Why do you need 40BHP? For what? and why do you need higher RPM.
I want to have my cake and eat it too. Imagine a thumper at 140kmph.

Quote:
Like Dr said, you are not sure what bike you want . No matter what you buy i think you will end up comparing with something better and feel its lacking something.
But many of the 390 owners here are bulleteers or have been. So why do they own both the chalk and the cheese?
Old 2nd November 2014, 12:20   #3210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I want to have my cake and eat it too. Imagine a thumper at 140kmph.
Okay. Confused about your problem here. You already have a thumper that can do a true 160+.. Did I miss something?

Most Viewed