Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2014, 15:33   #3241
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

A small update about the Marathahalli KTM service center - got my bike serviced there today.

From the look of it, they do get good volume, so if you plan to give your bike for service, go early morning (they starts taking the bike from 9.00-9.15 AM, but the washing starts only from 10.15-10.30 AM).

they have only 2 functional service bays for KTM (one branded KTM and one branded Ninja). However, they have space for 2 more and I saw that the lifts are already there. So, seems like they may expand depending on the volume.

They usually take one day for service, but if we insist and wait, they will do it faster and return to you early (I skipped the washing and got my second service done in about 45 minutes).

They (at least, my SA (Dileep), do not have any problem if you stand besides the bike and are happy to answer your questions.

They do not recommend Motul 300V, but if you insist, they will use it after taking a signature from you. And oh, you have to procure the oil by yourself.

They do not bill for the exact quantity of Motul 7100 - they billed for 2L and returned me the unused 600 ML. the SA told me that I can keep the oil with them if I am sure that I will take my bike for the next service there, but I doubt the practicality of it. They said I can bring the same open bottle any time I need a oil top up, or for the next service.

They do not have a card swiping machine, so you have to carry cash.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2014, 17:02   #3242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
they have only 2 functional service bays for KTM (one branded KTM and one branded Ninja). However, they have space for 2 more and I saw that the lifts are already there. So, seems like they may expand depending on the volume.
Those extra bays are currently used for rented out for DIY purposes on hourly basis. The rents are pretty hefty.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2014, 17:08   #3243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
I have always thought that the idle speed control stepper motor is responsible for the stalling issue. We had a discussion in this thread here.

Also, fellow 390 owner Rahul Mazumder has made an elaborate video on the solution to this issue. Might help you out.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=iwMNGlWuDKE
Had seen the video earlier. It says about flushing out carbon deposits. If the stepper motor solution doesn't work, then will suggest it to the SE. Thanx
Old 5th November 2014, 18:05   #3244
BHPian

Been enjoying the Duke in various different group rides over the past few Weeks. Highlight has been a ride to the Bhongir fort, which sits on a monolith of a rock. It was a nice, easy ride with some distinguished companions for the Duke (and my friends, for me).
One friend was riding the iconic RD 350 and the other one was riding a Bonnie.

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-posing.jpg

It was a pleasant breezy morning and we just sat under the shade of trees, watching the fort and our bikes.
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-exalted-company.jpg

Friends tried out the Duke and had some nice things to say. One drove it for quite a distance and later when we spoke he was surprised to know that the bike had a 6th gear. He is accustomed to 5 on the Bonnie.
In other words, the Duke can be just as good a discreet, comfortable, sedate cruiser.

Last edited by Insearch : 5th November 2014 at 18:18.
Old 5th November 2014, 18:19   #3245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
rear tyre needs replacement, the owner has done all this mileage on OE Metz. It is available for 1.4L [final price]. What should I do, buy it?
Looks like a good price. Negotiate tyre cost and its a good buy. Check olx or other classified on going price.
Old 5th November 2014, 19:19   #3246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Those extra bays are currently used for rented out for DIY purposes on hourly basis. The rents are pretty hefty.
Oh OK - didn't know about this. Do they give access to all tools in the workshop also? Or do we need to carry our tools? Can you also post if you know the rental rates? Might be useful for some people.

--Anoop
Old 5th November 2014, 19:42   #3247
BHPian

Now I am losing my patience. And am terribly disappointed. The bike stalled twice today after I got it out of the service station. Now I have to go again tomorrow to ask them to replace the stepper motor. I dont think the problem will be solved even after that. One by one they will have to replace all the parts, untill the bike is completely new.

To people who are considering buying this bike, PLEASE DON'T, unless you are interested in gambling.
Old 5th November 2014, 20:31   #3248
Senior - BHPian

Sell it man. I dont think you will ever be happy with this bike. Time to move on for another bike and hopefully you are not hit with any issues for ever.

These issues happen with any bike and you are just unlucky as there are many happy owners here.

Can you with help of your friend record this stalling to see whats happening? It will help others.
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2014, 20:55   #3249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
Now I am losing my patience. And am terribly disappointed. The bike stalled twice today after I got it out of the service station. Now I have to go again tomorrow to ask them to replace the stepper motor. I dont think the problem will be solved even after that. One by one they will have to replace all the parts, untill the bike is completely new.

To people who are considering buying this bike, PLEASE DON'T, unless you are interested in gambling.
Mithun, how much have you clocked with this bike? I used the have the stalling problem earlier (I now have clocked 5K kms and it doesn't stall now at all)
Old 5th November 2014, 21:17   #3250
Senior - BHPian

The most weirdest of things can go wrong with the Duke 390. Hopefully; this is a one off. Colleague parks his bike under a tree. There is some weird looking fruit hanging from the tree. All goes well when he leaves from work. Bike cranks and he gets out of the parking. On his way home, there is a point where he needs to turn left. As he does so, the handle does not turn fully. Something is stopping it from turning. Colleague panics and stops. Manages to take the bike home. It is not possible to lock the bike. He comes to work on the bike and tells me about it. I offer to help. He suspects that weird looking fruit has fallen between the tiny gap of the ignition and digital console. I find it hard to believe that this could be the problem. Shining a torch through the gap, I can see what looks like a dried up flower inside the gap and nothing more. What I do observe is the ignition unit shaking when I put the key in. It is not possible to lock the bike as the handle bar is unable to turn fully to the left. I open up the headlamp assembly and find the ignition unit no longer held by the two bolts. Both are missing and its basically hanging there due to the stiff wiring harness. Can't find anything that can stop the handle car from turning full lock to the left. It can turn fully to the right. As we look around for possible problems, colleague spots a bolt resting at the dead stop point on the right side of the lower triple tree. This bolt is just resting there. We prong it with a screw driver and get it out and the problem is solved. Handle bar turns full lock to the left. We can't find the second bolt though. Probably fallen on road. I try to put back the ignition unit using this one bolt and we hit a hurdle. The mount of the ignition unit, where the bolt goes through has a sleeve around it so a spanner can't reach the bolt head. You need a T spanner which we don't have. I manage to screw in the bolt as far as it would go with the tool kit spanner.

I have never heard of the ignition unit coming off like this. Many months ago, the big central steering bolt that you see on the upper triple tree went missing on the same bike. KTM/Bajaj really need to wake up on the quality control.

The green circle indicating where the bolt was resting.
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-p1040373.jpg

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 5th November 2014 at 21:18.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2014, 21:31   #3251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
The bike stalled twice today
I expect the Duke has a switch in the clutch which is connected to the ECU. Ask the service people to show you the relevant section in the shop manual about its adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
The most weirdest of things can go wrong with the Duke
The Dukes vibrate more. Not the type we are used to from our older bikes, but the fastener loosening type. (One of my friends lost his watch while riding a Duke, A TAG Heur chronograph no less. Another friends watch also came off when riding the Duke. Luckily this time it was found. Perhaps because it was an el cheapo Casio!)

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2014, 21:33   #3252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
Mithun, how much have you clocked with this bike? I used the have the stalling problem earlier (I now have clocked 5K kms and it doesn't stall now at all)
It has done only 800kms. Most of the time it had been raining here, and most of the remaining time it was at the service station. What can I do other than carrying the baggage. I will not even get a decent price if I try to sell it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
The most weirdest of things can go wrong with the duke 390.

I have never heard of the ignition unit coming off like this. Many months ago, the big central steering bolt that you see on the upper triple tree went missing on the same bike. KTM/Bajaj really need to wake up on the quality control.
[
Kudos to Bajaj Auto, the indian jugad company!! What with the, tripple spark technology and all the gimmicks, many people are falling for the sham!!
Old 5th November 2014, 22:06   #3253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Kudos to Bajaj Auto, the indian jugad company!! What with the, tripple spark technology and all the gimmicks, many people are falling for the sham!!
Mithun,

Few things to check:-

Throttle body itself
Throttle cable if its pinched somewhere
Temperature Sensor which basically has cut off mechanism. It may be triggering engine cut off due to faulty reading.
Fuel pump and the stepper.

Leave the bike with the showroom and ask them to try changing the throttle body itself to see if the issue vanishes. In the order of things, i would start with fule line and then move to other areas.

Its frustrating, but hang in there for this can happen even with really good running bikes when you suddenly hit a patch of bad luck to find the issue.

Many give up, but i will be impatient to know the problem which means convincing the service guy to try swapping things out to test it.

Its not easy, but its actually interesting for some of us. Like me, i would love to sit on this bike to fix it patiently. Its so much fun for me, i dont know about others .
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 12:24   #3254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
This is a little OT but I couldn't find a better thread to ask this. I have seen a first lot 390, one year old, done 12000 kms, verified to be in good condition, rear tyre needs replacement, the owner has done all this mileage on OE Metz. It is available for 1.4L [final price]. What should I do, buy it?
No. Not at that price. Does it have insurance renewed? That's around 4K extra if it hasn't. Transfer around 1-1.5K if its in state. If you need an NOC, out of town but in state, that's another 1-1.5K. If its out of state, then the taxes etc. and new registration number add up significantly. Both tyres are due for replacement (the front too if not now then in another couple of thousand kms - never take a risk with the front. One can get away with a lot at the rear). So add another 17-18K for that to the price. Then you take into account other wear and tear items like brake pads, clutch plates, and chain and sprocket (at 12000 kms). Not to mention whatever price you want to apportion to inevitable general wear and tear of body and engine components. So all in all, at 1.4L, the deal eventually means you are buying a 12000 kms old one year old bike at around 1.65-1.7K. That's really not a good deal. Remember, in less than two months, that bike (model wise) is going to be a 2 year old model. That's good for another 10-15K drop in value in the market.

Disclaimer: I do realise Bangalore prices by and large are higher (for whatever reason .... aside from the higher initial taxes .... whether they make sense or not) than what we guys here work with. I still think you can do better if you look around. There will be low mileage bikes hitting the market soon. And prices will drop in a couple of months with the model change.

Last edited by ebonho : 6th November 2014 at 12:28.
Old 6th November 2014, 13:30   #3255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Oh OK - didn't know about this. Do they give access to all tools in the workshop also? Or do we need to carry our tools? Can you also post if you know the rental rates? Might be useful for some people.
All tools are provided by them. Cost, IIRC was around Rs500 per hour or more!
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed