Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2014, 10:19   #3316
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Nothing politically incorrect about the question at all. I have never hidden the fact that I think the Ninja is a lovely bike. I have ridden a Ninja like 3 times in my life (3 different Ninjas), for a grand total of under 30-40 kms maybe. That was enough to convince me about what the bike was and what it could do.

So if your question is Ninja 250 vs Duke 390, asuming all things being same as hypothesized by you, I would pick the Duke.

With the 300 vs the 390, I would pick the 300.
Doc, could you elaborate on what would make you puck the 300 over the 390. Is it that different from the 250?
Old 10th November 2014, 10:48   #3317
BHPian

Sorry folks for giving wrong information in my earlier posts. The stalling problem in my bike showed its head again, this morning, in the usual way.

May be I should treat it like a pemanently handicapped child.
Old 10th November 2014, 11:16   #3318
BHPian

Firstly, I know this is a Duke 390 thread but since we do not have a thread for the 200 I thought I should post my issue here.

So, I went to service center yesterday to get the engine oil level checked as in the previous service the engine oil was less. This time around engine oil level is fine. I also got the clutch nut tightened, chain tightened ,chain cover tightened and gear liver was also tightened.

Now, as soon as I drove the bike for 2-3 kms, the MIL (mal function indicator light) came on. I went back to the service center and the dude cleared the sensor data using the ECU debug box (T shaped handheld device).

Reached home and all was good until today morning. The MIL came back on again, another ride to the service center and this time the mechanic checked the blink code and it was 45. Using the same box he cleared the sensor data and told issue won't come again. 2 kms later MIL is back on again, again went back to the service center and he told me all sensors are fine and nothing wrong with the bike, maybe there is some water some where.

The issue here is the bike hasn't been washed for last 15-20 days, and as per google blink code 45 is
Quote:
EXC‑F EU, EXC-F SIX DAYSLambda sensor heater cylinder 1, sensor 1 - short circuit to ground or open circuitLambda sensor heater cylinder 1, sensor 1 - input signal too high

Source:-http://www.manualslib.com/manual/584659/Ktm-350-Exc-F-Eu.html?page=120#manual
Can anyone please advice and help me on the issue.

Thanks.

Last edited by moralfibre : 10th November 2014 at 11:25.
Old 10th November 2014, 11:24   #3319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by howler View Post
Doc, could you elaborate on what would make you puck the 300 over the 390. Is it that different from the 250?
A very good question indeed !!! Even I am waiting for a response from Doc.
I remember Doc mentioning about the D390's top end performance being not as good as the N300. I am not sure if he was referring to the rev limiter set around 10.5k in D390. Also, I am also not sure if Doc has expressed that as a concern/disappointment or just a mere observation.

While we wait for his reply, let me also put my observation based on looking at the torque-RPM curve and the gear ratios of both D390 and N300. From various reviews, what we can see about Ninja's top end speed being slightly higher (may be by 4 to 6 kmph) and I think it is more to do with the lesser wind drag. Other wise (and except for the rev limit), I don't see a reason why D390 can't match N300 in the top end performance. In fact D390, having the advantage of taller gearing, sits very well in the meaty power band even when in the middle of the three digit speed. So even at that speed, it may still have a better acceleration than the Ninja (provided the rider couches). Again, this is just my inference after going through the details on the gear ratios and the torque curves of these bikes.
shan_ned is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 11:29   #3320
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Can a CRAMSTER STALLION saddle bag be used on the 390 with saree guard and tyre hugger removed? Has anyone used it over 3-4 days ride without any issues? Any special considerations while riding with them?

Or does it make more sense to use a generic medium size backpack, place it on the pillion seat, and secure it with bungees?

Last edited by nasirkaka : 10th November 2014 at 11:30.
Old 10th November 2014, 11:34   #3321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
Sorry folks for giving wrong information in my earlier posts. The stalling problem in my bike showed its head again, this morning, in the usual way.

May be I should treat it like a pemanently handicapped child.
Hope it goes off as you clock more distance. One of my colleagues had the same problem (though not frequently) when he got his 390 newly, but it vanished after some 1000 odd kms.
Old 10th November 2014, 11:36   #3322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by howler View Post
Well, I was basing my choice on the hypothetical assumptions that both bikes cost the same, to buy as well as to live with, had the same service cost, the same cost and availaibility of spares and consumables, and the same after sales support and company focus/commitment.

In such a case, the 300 would be my choice over the 390 because:

1) It is sexier
2) It is faster

The above two would be all that was required, but if you want more reasons:
3) It is a sports bike
4) It revs like mad and has a smooth but solid punch
5) Its a bigger bike overall in terms of feel and dimensions
6) Its build quality and fit and finish is better
7) It has a proper pilion seat (should I ever require it - theoretical)
8) It has a bigger tank, a proper tank, with better tank range
9) It has better headlight/s

But all of the above could convince me to maybe pay 25 max 40K over the price of the 390 in terms of a want-to-have-at-a-cost premium. Not a rupee more. (Post-script: On second thought, I have a strong feeling that I would probably not pay more than 30K over the price of the 390, for the 300. So a 25-30K premium max, and that too because I want(ed) to try out a new/different style of bike in addition to trading up from Baby Duke)

In the real world, I could buy nearly two 390s in the price of one 300. And the cost of living with the bike are a lot more in terms of service and spares/consumables. Availaibility is always going to be a perennial issue. As seen from Aditya and countless other cases all over the country, a Ninja owner is always going to be at the mercy of Bajaj and the importance it apportions to the Kawasaki brand. In effect, a very expensive step brother. And no matter how much you keep paying, in relation to KTM, will always be a step brother.

Why should I spend my money to be second in line for the attention of the parent, when I can spend half of that and be the apple of his eye?

I already have one forgotten fallen legend in my garage in the form of my std 500 in terms of being a bottomless sink pit of attention, money and time, in relation to simply riding.

I cannot have another bike like that in my garage. My second bike has to be exactly what the 390 is. The fastest and the most cutting edge mass production scale performance bike made in India. And one which takes as little attention as is possible per kilometer ridden. Which is always ready to go. Regardless of time inactive. Regardless of time since last workshop visit. Regardless of distance planned. Regardless of preparation time available. She should be there. And all I should need is her key, and a visit to the nearest petrol pump for fuel and air. And therefore for me, the 390 is what ticked nearly all the boxes, and even the few where it lost out, it lost out by a whisker (almost as sexy, almost as fast, and for me at least, great build quality, fit and finish - except for the rims). No bike is perfect, just like no rider is perfect. And its always the bike and the rider. Never one seen without the other. I know what Baby Duke was for me, and what the two of us could do together. Well, the 390 is almost twice the bike she was, and I got a really great deal (and was willing to wait and work for it) ......

Hope that explains my decision process.

P.P.S. And is it a coincidence or what?!!!! This is the 222nd page of the thread!

Last edited by ebonho : 10th November 2014 at 11:52.
ebonho is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 12:07   #3323
BHPian

Went riding with 4 RD 350s. What sound, what a rumble! Oft the Duke is called the successor to the RD's flare and that makes me feel nice, though I wish the Duke sounded like them.

Exalted Company
:The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-front.jpg

The eager Duke !
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-side.jpg

The RD on the extreme left, was tuned to produce 55+ BHP and was doing wheelies in third. The owner has spent some serious money and time on the beauty. Hats off!

Bike has become smoother and I find that the engine breaking too has reduced. I hope, I am running in the bike correctly. Recently I took it for a few rough and high strung rides and now plan another 2K+ ride. Wondering If I should get the second service done early... (It has done 2400 KMs. Scheduled service is 5000KM)

Advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by Insearch : 10th November 2014 at 12:20.
Insearch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 12:08   #3324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan_ned View Post
Hope it goes off as you clock more distance. One of my colleagues had the same problem (though not frequently) when he got his 390 newly, but it vanished after some 1000 odd kms.
I also hope so. Meanwhile I couldnt resist a visit to the service station on my way to the office. He said that he will arrange a meeting with the service engineer. Not much hope. But still,what to lose?

In fact I was very happy with the bike for the last two days, I arranged a long trip. And for the whole two days no issues happened. Then came today morning.
Old 10th November 2014, 12:10   #3325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchy_cool View Post
as per google blink code 45

Can anyone please advice and help me on the issue.

Thanks.
In my opinion, it has to be sensor malfunction. You will have to vivst the service center again and insist that they solve the issue.
Old 10th November 2014, 12:13   #3326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In fact I was very happy with the bike for the last two days, I arranged a long trip. And for the whole two days no issues happened. Then came today morning.
Why not just restart the bike when it stalls and rip the life out of her as punishment? Maybe she will stop stalling if you show her who's boss! Maybe she just likes to be spanked and its her way of telling you to stop babying her throttle or riding her clutch ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insearch View Post
Went riding with 4 RD 350s. What sound, what a rumble! Oft the Duke is called the successor to the RD's flare and that makes me feel nice, though I wish the Duke sounded like them.
Its uncanny how similar the Bonnie looks to the RD. Lovely old ladies all 4.

Last edited by ebonho : 10th November 2014 at 12:15.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 13:05   #3327
BHPian

Quote:
In my opinion, it has to be sensor malfunction. You will have to vivst the service center again and insist that they solve the issue.
I agree that it has to be a sensor malfunction, but they said that all sensors are working fine and it might be some water which has creep-ed in somewhere. It could be the weather as well as mornings are now cold here in Delhi.

I guess I'll wait for a few days before going back to the service center, the bike is no longer in warranty and if they wanted they could have kept the bike and changed the sensor in issue and charged me for it. In case changed sensor would have not fixed the issue they can always come back and say that the ECU has malfunctioned causing me more monetary damage.

That is why i posted here to see if someone else had the same issue and how they fixed it. maybe the sensor just needs some cleaning but first we need to know where this particular sensor which is throwing blink code 45 is located so any help on that would be appreciated.
Old 10th November 2014, 13:31   #3328
BHPian

Quote:

P.S. Incidentally, from full tank in Kolhapur, she came into reserve 5 kms from home in Pune (near City Pride chowk), which means she did about 245 kms to the tank. Not great but definitely much better than what I ever got on my test 390 (220 kms max).
Congrats Doc, I always thought you had a 390!!!!

Now coming to your mileage part, that is amazing, I am not able to get more than 170Kms before the low fuel indicator starts coming up, any ideas???, this is really irritating for me personally.....
Khodays is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 13:34   #3329
BHPian

Quote:
Why not just restart the bike when it stalls and rip the life out of her as punishment? Maybe she will stop stalling if you show her who's boss! Maybe she just likes to be spanked and its her way of telling you to stop babying her throttle or riding her clutch ....
Hmm.Yeah. Today I gave it stick when riding down to the service station. I think I need to break something inside of her before she gives up on me again.
Old 10th November 2014, 13:49   #3330
BHPian

Quote:
I also hope so. Meanwhile I couldnt resist a visit to the service station on my way to the office. He said that he will arrange a meeting with the service engineer. Not much hope. But still,what to lose?

Does it stalls only when the engine is cold ? Is the idle stable now or fluctuating again and what is the idle rpm in your bike(mine is at 2k which is quite high)?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks