Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2014, 16:26   #3376
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Yeah Doc, I am around that if if not a few kg's extra, no guilt man, live and learn is the mantra.

But one thing I have to add here, I recently got the MRA windshield fitted and boy does that make a difference or what, as I could comfortably keep it nailed as compared to my mates on stock, that with the ecu and filter, is one sweet package.
Khodays is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2014, 17:17   #3377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khodays View Post
Yeah Doc, I am around that if if not a few kg's extra, no guilt man, live and learn is the mantra.

But one thing I have to add here, I recently got the MRA windshield fitted and boy does that make a difference or what, as I could comfortably keep it nailed as compared to my mates on stock, that with the ecu and filter, is one sweet package.
You say the cat con was removed. How? From where in the stock exhaust setup? The big black box?

The ECU is a piggyback or a replacement? Cost? How involved a process is the dialling in? You know how technically savvy and competent I am ..... And I do not have Antony or Joel here either.
Old 12th November 2014, 17:36   #3378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
From where in the stock exhaust setup? The big black box?
Sorry to interfere. Yes, the catcon is indeed in that big black ugly box!
man_of_steel is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2014, 18:41   #3379
BHPian

Yes, man of steel is right, as for the ecu, its pretty easy to do, only thing is get it from somebody who has tuned the maps specifically for KTM, somebody like joel offers this right of the shelf, pricing, best asked from him directly, the ecu is replacement.

But ,this combo gives a nice bump.
Old 12th November 2014, 23:40   #3380
BHPian

Yet another accident of D390 near electronic city. Rumour is that the rider passed away. Will update as and when I get more info and pictures.
Old 12th November 2014, 23:46   #3381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yet another accident of D390 near electronic city. Rumour is that the rider passed away. Will update as and when I get more info and pictures.
Personally i dont think this is relevant to this thread. You can post this in Accidents in picture.

The thread is about ownership and any issues.
Old 13th November 2014, 10:44   #3382
Senior - BHPian

Guys, got small query.

While adjusting the chain I noticed that the chain slack is different at different sections of the chain. It will be really slack with the rear wheel in one position and if I rotate the tyre a bit and check the slack, it will be really taut. Also, the rear tyre is having no free movement at this position. Any idea what could be the problem? The problem is persisting even after the making the alignment proper.

Also noticed a small free play between the rear wheel and sprocket. Is this normal or does this point to a damaged cush drive?

Last edited by man_of_steel : 13th November 2014 at 10:51.
Old 13th November 2014, 10:53   #3383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Guys, got small query.

While adjusting the chain I noticed that the chain slack is different at different sections of the chain. It will be really slack with the rear wheel in one position and if I rotate the tyre a bit and check the slack, it will be really taut. Also, the rear tyre is having no free movement at this position. Any idea what could be the problem? The problem is persisting even after the making the alignment proper.

Also noticed a small free play between the rear wheel and sprocket. Is this normal or does this point to a damaged cush drive?
Read the following link and you will know
http://www.nandanmotors.com/adj_drivechain.html
adrian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2014, 11:18   #3384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry to interfere. Yes, the catcon is indeed in that big black ugly box!
Quote:
Yes, man of steel is right, as for the ecu, its pretty easy to do, only thing is get it from somebody who has tuned the maps specifically for KTM, somebody like joel offers this right of the shelf, pricing, best asked from him directly, the ecu is replacement.

But ,this combo gives a nice bump.
Thanks guys. My question is, is it removable in a modular manner? How do you retack the parts proximal and distal to it to maintain continuity of the exhaust once you remove it? How do you remove it? Is there welding/cutting involved or simply unbolting? A reversible mod like this and a K&N would be on my list once I use the bike stock for some time and enjoy it as it is.

Quote:
Guys, got small query.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
And you could also read this:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3557900

Quote:
Ashok, a rhythmic sound means either your sprocket is warped/out and/or there is uneven lengthening of segments of your chain (some links more than others). In such a case it becomes impossible to adjust the slack of your chain properly. Do it perfect for one segment may make it too loose or too tight for another. Which is exactly what is happening in your case. The only solution is to adjust it such that it does not become too tight in those tight segments with you sitting on the bike (this is important).

So first figure out which is the tightest segment of the chain, and then adjust it to proper slack with you sitting on the bike. Automatically the other not-so-tight segment will now be looser than what it should be (and slap around like a loose chain). You will have to live with that. Plus the sound of chain slap is less irritating than the sound (and grating feel) of a tight chain rub. And also less destructive to both the roller/pins as well as the sprocket teeth and the wheel bearings and bushes.

Hope this helps.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2014, 12:12   #3385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Thanks a lot for the link man! Was a bit busy to google it out! Will adjust the slack accordingly since the alignment seems to be fine.

Quote:
And you could also read this:
Thanks Doc, So I guess the sprocket runout should not be a bother if you adjust the slack properly right?

Regarding the play between sprocket and wheel, should I get the cush drives inspected?

Last edited by man_of_steel : 13th November 2014 at 12:24.
Old 13th November 2014, 12:29   #3386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Doc, So I guess the sprocket runout should not be a bother if you adjust the slack properly right?
Not a bother. Just don't expect it to run with the same slack all around. I don't know why the KTM chains have this issue of unequal link lengthening. Quality of chain? High acceleration/deceleration forces most likely contributing.

Quote:
Regarding the play between sprocket and wheel, should I get the cush drives inspected?
Play as in the sprocket moves side to side with your hand? No, that should most definitely not be happening man. You could have the chain jump off at speed. Very risky.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2014, 12:39   #3387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Play as in the sprocket moves side to side with your hand? No, that should most definitely not be happening man. You could have the chain jump off at speed. Very risky.
Thanks Doc. Its not side to side. Its a rotational play.
Old 13th November 2014, 14:33   #3388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not an entirely bad weekend, as the RD350 walked away with all the top honors.

P.S: Yes am abusing my warranty a bit, but pls do keep it here, as my sole intention of buying this bike, is to have maximum fun with minimal mental or financial investment. Also the engine block has been changed once on warranty as the bike seized on a top speed run on stock settings.
Hey,

I am glad to hear that the RD350 still Rocks

Trouble with the modern machines is that whilst they are really reliable and user friendly whilst in "stock" they become troublesome, the minute you do something to change that situation - not like the old ones, which were like pliable putty in the hands of a mster tuner - that is my view

Best Regards & Ride safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2014, 18:30   #3389
BHPian

I got a call from the service manager KTM cochin, he said they will be replacing the fuel pump this time. At this rate I will get a brand new bike in no time
mithunvvijayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2014, 19:06   #3390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
I got a call from the service manager KTM cochin, he said they will be replacing the fuel pump this time. At this rate I will get a brand new bike in no time
Credit to your SVC , they are quite willing to change things to rectify the issue . Of course this is how it should be but one often gets to read here how they are being harassed by SVC (I mean in general , not KTM ).

Do you hear a ticking sound from the left hand side of engine ? should be in sync with the racket the engine makes . A slight ticking will be present but is it too loud ? (you will have to use your judgement here as to what is "too loud" . Normal is if you are present in quiet surrounding , you can hear the tick tick from saddle but it doesn't sounds 'unhealthy' ).

Last edited by basuroy : 13th November 2014 at 19:08.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks