Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2014, 18:04   #3421
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

luggage plate modelling is done. Any suggestions for improvement?
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-luggage-plate-01-01.jpg  

nasirkaka is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 18:09   #3422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Very nice! Now please design a neat bash plate too.
Old 17th November 2014, 18:36   #3423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nicely done up. Can you think of beefing up of the U channel (The mounting area) with some "notching". It is a kind of V shape kinks on the edges to avoid the metal buckling due to weight. I will try to get some photos for reference tomorrow.
Old 17th November 2014, 21:39   #3424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Between the 300 and 390, i would pick a 390 simply for the overall cost factor. The initial cost and the maintenance cost(i mean spares) are such a blessing for the 390.

Consider this, thrash the bike and you cna buy one for 2L. You maximum loss is 2L
Indeed, a significant factor in how confident a rider is in pushing his ride, is not just the chassis/suspension/tyre ability but mental willingness to accept the risk and cost of crashing.

Road conditions can be unpredictable, even on the same route, on the same day, even minutes apart - I've seen sand/gravel dropped by a truck ferrying construction material in a corner that wasn't there on my previous lap. Imaging what could happen if you assumed the corner was like you saw it last time - tried to run at the same speed. And with bigger more expensive bikes, even in the safe settings of a closed circuit, the number zeros in potential repair bills can keep the enthusiasm in check.

This is where the Duke/RC390 shines, not just the bang for the buck but cheaper repair costs. I'll be looking to replace my P220 maybe next year and so far the KTMs looks like the strongest candidates.
Old 17th November 2014, 21:51   #3425
BHPian

Guys, my 390's front alloy is bent and cracked last week while going through a pretty ordinary Bangalore pothole. I am pretty pissed off because this is the second time this is happening to me in last 6 months. Last time it was the rear wheel.

I can obviously go ahead and spend 5-6K and get it replaced but if this is going to keep happening then I have to think about some other options.

What is the experience from the group here? Anyone has tried putting on spoke wheels? Is that even possible considering the disk breaks and ABS mechanism?

Please advice on what I should do?
Old 17th November 2014, 23:19   #3426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabs78 View Post
Guys, my 390's front alloy is bent and cracked last week while going through a pretty ordinary Bangalore pothole. I am pretty pissed off because this is the second time this is happening to me in last 6 months. Last time it was the rear wheel.

I can obviously go ahead and spend 5-6K and get it replaced but if this is going to keep happening then I have to think about some other options.

What is the experience from the group here? Anyone has tried putting on spoke wheels? Is that even possible considering the disk breaks and ABS mechanism?

Please advice on what I should do?
For my curiosities sake , did you take the pothole head one or the damage indicates the rim lips came in direct contact with the tarmac ? Or you sure they cracked after the shock was transmitted through the tire ?

Was the rear covered by insurance or SVC changed under warranty ? Was the tire damaged ?

When your rims bent/cracked , did the bike's handling become suddenly violent or you had enough time to bring it to a stop without drama ?

From an earlier discussion on this forum with a ninja 300 owner , he shared picture of forged wheels on his bike and upon asking , he said the same can be easily fitted to the dukes . While I didn't ask about price , my guess is forged wheels are imported and priced outrageously . Still doesn't hurts to check out the options available .

Spoke wheel ? I recall seeing the images of a duke 390 modified into an adventurer clone , new shockers etc and while I am not sure , think the bike had spoke wheels . Fellow members can you recollect the bike in question ?

Last edited by basuroy : 17th November 2014 at 23:31.
Old 17th November 2014, 23:35   #3427
BHPian

Browsing some other websites, I found aftermarket wheels for SBKs from INR 1.2 lac to 2.5 lac, I assume all of them forged aluminium alloy for the cheaper and magnesium alloy for the more expensive ones. I don't expect you'll be buying those !

Try get a warranty replacement, I read on this forum itself that newer KTMs have redesigned wheels which while heavier, should be able to withstand harsh roads better. If you want to go for anything else, you'll need to get the hub modified to match the disc's carrier lugs to match up ( the number, diametric placement and dimensions of the disc carrier ) since no aftermarket suppliers cater to the KTM yet, the common, generic alloys are either for drum brakes or 240mm discs for 150cc bikes.
Old 18th November 2014, 09:23   #3428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
For my curiosities sake , did you take the pothole head one or the damage indicates the rim lips came in direct contact with the tarmac ? Or you sure they cracked after the shock was transmitted through the tire ?
The pothole suddenly appeared when I was behind a car on Marathahalli bridge. I am sure that the shock was through the tires, the wheel never made contact with the road.

Quote:
Was the rear covered by insurance or SVC changed under warranty ? Was the tire damaged ?
There is no warranty for wheel damage. I didn't claim insurance as I thought that the expense doesn't justify it. Tire was not damaged I am still using it.

Quote:
When your rims bent/cracked , did the bike's handling become suddenly violent or you had enough time to bring it to a stop without drama ?
The front tire lost air suddenly which threw me off balance for a little while but I was able to control it. I was more concerned for the traffic following me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Try get a warranty replacement, I read on this forum itself that newer KTMs have redesigned wheels which while heavier, should be able to withstand harsh roads better.
There is not warranty replacement. Thanks for the info on redesign, it seems like getting OEM replacement is the way to go for now.
vabs78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 09:30   #3429
BHPian

Quote:
The front tire lost air suddenly which threw me off balance for a little while but I was able to control it. I was more concerned for the traffic following me.
What tyre pressures were you running? Also, how often do you check air?
Old 18th November 2014, 09:38   #3430
BHPian

I think it was 28 psi in the front. I check air every other week when I fill petrol.
Old 18th November 2014, 12:53   #3431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Very nice! Now please design a neat bash plate too.
Junaid (art of motorcycles) was in the process of developing a nice and sturdy bash plate in aluminium alloy. will check with him on the status.

Looks like there is an emerging market for accessories, which can be seriously looked into. There are not many indian players designing and making good international quality accessories/ kits for touring, etc. I am sure there will be many takers.

Quote:
Nicely done up. Can you think of beefing up of the U channel (The mounting area) with some "notching". It is a kind of V shape kinks on the edges to avoid the metal buckling due to weight. I will try to get some photos for reference tomorrow.
I did not fully understand. Do you mean on the 90 degree bends, we need to provide small V shape kinks? However i have limited access to laser cutting machine and press brake for bending, and not sure if there are tools available for specialized operations. Intention is to get the plate made in 3mm MS plate, powdercoated finish. Plan to get it made today. hope it all fits ok, and lasts the trip..

Quote:
Could it be that certain batches of alloys are weaker? As your bike had both the front and the rear crack at different times, where as a lot of us (including me) have so far not encountered (touch wood) a crack inspite of accidentally meeting potholes at good speeds. Long time back, i had mentioned this to Venkat sir of Autoservice and he had pointed the cause towards incorrect tyre pressure. You had slightly higher (28 psi) at front, could that be related? Whatever be the case, these incidents should not be happening and bajaj should really seriously look into this, as its getting too common with 390s.

Spoked wheel is a possibility but will have to sacrifice on the tubeless. Was discussing with indimotard guys on this and they did mention that front is easier to convert, rear could be a bit of challenge, but doable for sure.

some links where ppl have tried spoked rim, should be feasible on the 390 as well.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...family-43.html

http://www.ktmduke390forum.com/forum...road-duke.html

Last edited by nasirkaka : 18th November 2014 at 13:05.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 14:29   #3432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Junaid (art of motorcycles) was in the process of developing a nice and sturdy bash plate in aluminium alloy. will check with him on the status.
Loads of guys have been talking of developing one. Guys in Delhi, in Pune. But yet to see one.

Do pass on my regards to Junaid. Met (and raced) with one of his juniors and business partners from Mumbai (forgetting his name) up Amboli on the way back from IBW '13. Both of us on 200s.

Good to see so many of the old crowd making a living out of their passion.

P.S. His name was Dhrumin (?)

Last edited by ebonho : 18th November 2014 at 14:31.
Old 18th November 2014, 14:46   #3433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Loads of guys have been talking of developing one. Guys in Delhi, in Pune. But yet to see one.
I had myself seen one of the first prototypes at junaids place, shall try and pass by at his workshop and gather more info.

ALL THOSE WHO WISH TO ATTEMPT to adjust the foot rest position please note the following:

* do not reduce the length of the master cylinder pin by more then 5-6mm.
* do remember to taper the pin towards front, as it was before grinding.
* make the end rounded like a ball, similar to how it looked before grinding.
* polish / finish the pin smooth with a fine emery paper.

pic of the master cylinder pin after reducing the length.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-photo-1.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-photo-2.jpg  

nasirkaka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 14:55   #3434
BHPian

Quote:
You had slightly higher (28 psi) at front, could that be related? Whatever be the case, these incidents should not be happening and bajaj should really seriously look into this, as its getting too common with 390s.
Higher pressure should provide better protection for the alloy right?

Quote:
Spoked wheel is a possibility but will have to sacrifice on the tubeless. Was discussing with indimotard guys on this and they did mention that front is easier to convert, rear could be a bit of challenge, but doable for sure.

some links where ppl have tried spoked rim, should be feasible on the 390 as well.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...family-43.html

http://www.ktmduke390forum.com/forum...road-duke.html
Thanks for the links. I am now getting very interested in putting spoke wheel at the front... Is there someone on the HSR, Koramangala side who can help?
Old 18th November 2014, 15:03   #3435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the links. I am now getting very interested in putting spoke wheel at the front... Is there someone on the HSR, Koramangala side who can help?
You are in Bangalore. So wh not go directly to the Indimotard guys. They have a fleet of 390s for the mountains. Sure many of them would be having spoked wheels. I've heard the Impulse front wheel is a direct fit. Please also check for engine sump bash plate when you go there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks