Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2014, 18:21   #3451
Senior - BHPian

@nasirkaka: the Givi rack braces on the bolts under the pillion seat (underside). It makes it extremely sturdy.

You might want to consider that.
Old 18th November 2014, 19:38   #3452
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
@nasirkaka: the Givi rack braces on the bolts under the pillion seat (underside). It makes it extremely sturdy.

If I remember right, Nasirkaka has a GIVI installed on his C5.
Old 18th November 2014, 19:49   #3453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
I did not fully understand. Do you mean on the 90 degree bends, we need to provide small V shape kinks? However i have limited access to laser cutting machine and press brake for bending, and not sure if there are tools available for specialized operations. Intention is to get the plate made in 3mm MS plate, powdercoated finish.
Quote:
as we are using 2.5mm CR MS sheet.
we had factored in bending tolerances. Its more like a case of bending angles not being correct.
Quote:
Some r&D going on for the luggage plate. seems to be some issues with measurements. The holders will have to be re-made now. :(
Hi,
2.5 mm, or 3 mm?
Laser cut, or CNC Turret Press?

The holding brackets will be easier to manufacture if the two folds are parallel to each other, and to one of the edges, preferably the longer one. You will loose out slightly on the aesthetics. If that is absolutely not acceptable, then see to it that each fold is parallel to its nearest edge.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 19th November 2014, 10:54   #3454
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabs78 View Post
I can obviously go ahead and spend 5-6K and get it replaced but if this is going to keep happening then I have to think about some other options.
Tough luck vabs78. After the launch of the new RCs, I had spoken to the KTM folks in Marthahalli about the weak alloys and they confirmed that the RCs come with heavier and stronger alloys. These alloys have also made their way to the new D390s though I dont know if KTM claims a kerb weight increase. So I would suggest you take the hit on the wallet and replace both front and rear alloys with the ones from the new bikes.
Old 19th November 2014, 11:29   #3455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post

my givi rack is customized for the C5, will added support at the backside, bolted to the mudguard.
Wanted to make another rack/plate for the C5, on which i could mount that givi box. Sort of one box, but could clamp on both the bikes, as desired. Also, that plate could serve as a general luggage carrier, with easy securing of the bungee, ropes etc. managed to get the measurements right. Have given the contraption for powder coating. Will share pics once its done.

Quote:
Hi,
2.5 mm, or 3 mm?
Laser cut, or CNC Turret Press?

The holding brackets will be easier to manufacture if the two folds are parallel to each other, and to one of the edges, preferably the longer one. You will loose out slightly on the aesthetics. If that is absolutely not acceptable, then see to it that each fold is parallel to its nearest edge.
wanted to use 3 mm, but only 2.5mm was available, so used that.
Laser cut, as turret punch would require some cleaning works on the inside cutouts. Only issue with laser cut is the powdercoating after a while tends to come-off from the cut edges. I have grinded the edges wherever possible. lets see.
Old 19th November 2014, 12:30   #3456
BHPian

Do you guys find it difficult to start the bike in gear with the clutch held? My bike used to start earlier in gear like that but it doesn't start easily now.
Old 19th November 2014, 12:36   #3457
Senior - BHPian

Something funny happened yesterday, but am not stressing over it. I absentmindedly put on the ignition and I think I did not wait for the entire display check to complete before I thumbed the starter and zoomed off. Suddenly (within 200 meters or less) when I was downshifting for a corner the engine check yellow light came on momentarily and the bike actualy stalled (like when you hit the rev limiter) before reigniting and moving on (I saw the light in my peripheral vision when it happened). I slowed down and came to neutral and found the rpm oscillating up and down quickly in a cyclic pattern (searching?). So I shut off the bike completely, key and engine kill then put it on, ran the entire pre-ignition display checks and then started forward. No issues after that till I reached home. Not stressing. But any ideas as to what happened?
Old 19th November 2014, 13:52   #3458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilp View Post
Do you guys find it difficult to start the bike in gear with the clutch held? My bike used to start earlier in gear like that but it doesn't start easily now.
My bike is 750 km old . I have observed the bike progressively taking more time to start be it in gear or neutral with the passage of miles .For example , first 200kms it will start in a single crank both cases . Yesterday it refused to start(tried once for about 5 second before shifting to neutral) in 1st gear after I stalled (my fault ) , recently I have observed the bike taking way too long(3-5 second and a couple of tries ) to start in gear . Even neutral is taking a couple of cranks now as opposed to a single crank without fail during early ownership . Temperature has dropped by 4/5 degree since I took delivery so that may play a part .

In its current state , I have no problem with the way it is . It starts , it runs but the way it is ageing may not bode well once I have clocked 5 or 10k kilometers . Hope it settles down to a steady state soon .

Last edited by basuroy : 19th November 2014 at 13:55.
Old 19th November 2014, 14:02   #3459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
My bike is 750 km old . I have observed the bike progressively taking more time to start be it in gear or neutral with the passage of miles .For example , first 200kms it will start in a single crank both cases . Yesterday it refused to start(tried once for about 5 second before shifting to neutral) in 1st gear after I stalled (my fault ) , recently I have observed the bike taking way too long(3-5 second and a couple of tries ) to start in gear . Even neutral is taking a couple of cranks now as opposed to a single crank without fail during early ownership . Temperature has dropped by 4/5 degree since I took delivery so that may play a part .
I don't have such issues. It starts every time in neutral even on cold starts easily. In fact, the time required to start has only improved over the kms (nearing 8k now). Issue is only with starting on gear, clutch held. Have you checked state of air filter?
Old 19th November 2014, 14:57   #3460
Senior - BHPian

almost there. some minor issues to be ironed out. Angle is a bit too much.. :(
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-photo-1.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-photo-2.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-photo-4.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-photo-5.jpg  

Last edited by nasirkaka : 19th November 2014 at 14:59.
nasirkaka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 15:09   #3461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
almost there. some minor issues to be ironed out. Angle is a bit too much.. :(
Bro honestly, now that I am seeing it in proportion to the entire bike, all the more I am convinced that you need a cross strut. its a really long overhang, without any support. Trust me, I have seen Dukes with these GIVI boxes mounted, and how they bob up and down with the slightest road surface undulations. You do not want to be dependent on a top box, carrying no alternative luggage, and then have the mounts give way mid tour. The KTM Power Parts supplied top box has its mounts directly bolted to the OE grab rails (so no need to remove OE grab rails, and OE grab rails can still be used to slip saddle bags over - which I think can be done in your case as well seing as your rear seat is free as a platform under the top box platform). Also, the mounts are specially designed with very strong and very tensile steel, so the top box bobs up and down, but the mounts never break. Are you as confident of the steel you have used?
Old 19th November 2014, 16:15   #3462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Something funny happened yesterday, but am not stressing over it. I absentmindedly put on the ignition and I think I did not wait for the entire display check to complete before I thumbed the starter and zoomed off. Suddenly (within 200 meters or less) when I was downshifting for a corner the engine check yellow light came on momentarily and the bike actualy stalled (like when you hit the rev limiter) before reigniting and moving on (I saw the light in my peripheral vision when it happened). I slowed down and came to neutral and found the rpm oscillating up and down quickly in a cyclic pattern (searching?). So I shut off the bike completely, key and engine kill then put it on, ran the entire pre-ignition display checks and then started forward. No issues after that till I reached home. Not stressing. But any ideas as to what happened?
Had the same issue. Dont know why. But normally it doesnt start when cranked before the whole display is ovet
Old 19th November 2014, 16:41   #3463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Bro honestly, now that I am seeing it in proportion to the entire bike, all the more I am convinced that you need a cross strut. its a really long overhang, without any support. Trust me, I have seen Dukes with these GIVI boxes mounted, and how they bob up and down with the slightest road surface undulations. You do not want to be dependent on a top box, carrying no alternative luggage, and then have the mounts give way mid tour. The KTM Power Parts supplied top box has its mounts directly bolted to the OE grab rails (so no need to remove OE grab rails, and OE grab rails can still be used to slip saddle bags over - which I think can be done in your case as well seing as your rear seat is free as a platform under the top box platform). Also, the mounts are specially designed with very strong and very tensile steel, so the top box bobs up and down, but the mounts never break. Are you as confident of the steel you have used?
Getting the two brackets made with 5mm thick mild steel plate now. Also welding cross members at underside of the top plate. Also the plate and the bracket can be welded together, cos when we checked in real-life, the carrier can be installed with pillion seat removed, and then the pillion seat can be slided from front side and snapped in place. Hopefully with all this, it should hold good. For the steel, it is of JSW brand which has decent name in the market.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 17:52   #3464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilp View Post
I don't have such issues. It starts every time in neutral even on cold starts easily. In fact, the time required to start has only improved over the kms (nearing 8k now). Issue is only with starting on gear, clutch held. Have you checked state of air filter?
You misunderstood me , I am not saying mine doesn't starts in neutral . Merely observed that compared to when the bike was brand new , it takes longer to start now especially in 1st gear where lately it has refused to start a couple of times while when it was new , it will start in one crank whether in gear or neutral . It still starts fine(1 , 2 crank max ) in neutral .

No I have not checked air filter , first service is close and will get all things cleaned and replaced then .
Old 19th November 2014, 18:07   #3465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
first service is close and will get all things cleaned and replaced then .
Good, that should sort the issue. Gear up to enjoy the post 7k rush and bounces off the rev limiter

Most Viewed