Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2014, 20:02   #3631
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Hey guys a welcome respite to all who found sourcing Metzelers from SVC as a pain or were not willing to shell out 19-25K for a set of Metzelers.

Had posted a query to Michelin India about launching of 150/60-17 rear tyre for a Duke & RC series of KTM bikes and voila. Michelin India has replied back saying they have unveiled 150/60-17 rear tyre in Street Radial series and shall be available with all the dealers by Jan-Feb 2015.

Going by current pricing they wont be above 6000INR for a rear and the whole set shall cost a little less than 10,000 INR
akshayhonda is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th December 2014, 22:24   #3632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
Earlier today while out riding I got caught in light but consistent rainfall and after 5 mins I had to pull over to the shelter offered by a petrol pump to wipe my visor and wait it out if possible . After 5 mins when I tried to start it simply refused ( engine temp was 4 or 5 bars shy of maximum - it is cold here ), there was a feeble sound of the starter motor trying but no output . Maximum I held the switch on for was maybe 5-8 sec . Never applied throttle . Removed and keyed the engine again and tried but nothing. A chap there suggested to wait it out and try after 2 mins , I waited 5 mins and tried and after 3 attempts it started but stalled immediately as I attempted to ride off . Started and stalled again , it stalled a few more times on the way to home . Every single time it stalled while trying to crawl out of neutral - my throttle/clutch control is nowhere near that bad .
3 suspects comes to my mind immediately. Spark plug, Battery terminals and side stand sensor. Spark plug gap may be off, could be tinkered with, during the first service. Battery terminal is a common problem.
mithunvvijayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2014, 23:22   #3633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
3 suspects comes to my mind immediately. Spark plug, Battery terminals and side stand sensor. Spark plug gap may be off, could be tinkered with, during the first service. Battery terminal is a common problem.
battery I suspected all along , in fact when I was under the shelter , i removed the pillion seat and inspected if any water had crept in but it was dry in there (visually on a cursory glance ) . I hosed(not pressurized) the bike 4 days back , some still crept in that area and had to remove the seat and soak up the water . Personally I find the pillion space crammed with too many sensitive electrical equipment like battery and ABS fuses , this an area to be treated with care during wash .

Solid calls with spark plug and side stand sensor . Spark plug while it didn't occur to me sounds like the best guess because the feeble sound the starter motor often makes backs it up - I mean the sound is so feeble it is basically the motor whine , there is certainly no detonation happening in the chamber .

Thank you
Old 14th December 2014, 00:17   #3634
BHPian

Quote:

Can members here speculate what they could possibly have done to affect the bike like this ? Air filter was not cleaned during first service but if filter was to blame , the change should be gradual and not abrupt . In general , how often should I get the filter cleaned
? it is a complicated job ? and is the SVC within their rights to charge me for one off jobs like this if I request a filter clean tomorrow ?
Did the problem arise only with the rain, or before the rain too?

Which Motul oil did they use, spec the grade? Does it behave fine once it's warmed up, and the temperature bars in the higher segments?

Since you mention it's cold, fresh oil being thicker will required more pumping energy, esp if the oil passages are very narrow. I suggest, try a thinner weight oil like a 10Wxx if the current oil is a 20Wxx. I believe the quest for efficiency and everything made thinner/lighter, is making engines a bit more sensitive to such changes.
Ricci is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2014, 00:39   #3635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Did the problem arise only with the rain, or before the rain too?

Which Motul oil did they use, spec the grade? Does it behave fine once it's warmed up, and the temperature bars in the higher segments?

Since you mention it's cold, fresh oil being thicker will required more pumping energy, esp if the oil passages are very narrow. I suggest, try a thinner weight oil like a 10Wxx if the current oil is a 20Wxx. I believe the quest for efficiency and everything made thinner/lighter, is making engines a bit more sensitive to such changes.
The development of the problem was very abrupt and from right after first service with the first starting difficulty being observed on the same day itself the service was done. It is not so often that it is a major issue( 8/10 times it starts in a single crank , 1 time it takes 2 attempt and 1 time it requires 3-5 crank , before service 99/100 times it started in single crank ) but from zero trouble to a noticeable if inconsistent starting trouble is still irritating to the mind . Today after rain , the problem escalated to complete refusal to start for a certain duration (5+ mins ). Bike was washed during first service as well as 3 days back , didn't experience any starting difficulties following the washes .

Never noticed any behavior change related to engine temp as far as starting is concerned , the petrol pump event today happened when engine temp was 4 or 5 bar shy of maximum but still sufficiently high to be called a warm engine while not hot enough to be an over heating issue .

Engine oil - I regret not observing the label closely but the bottle (black color with red motul sticker ) was motul(and sealed , well one was sealed ) . Grade as per manual is 10w50 .

Last edited by basuroy : 14th December 2014 at 00:49.
Old 14th December 2014, 19:58   #3636
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The development of the problem was very abrupt and from right after first service with the first starting difficulty being observed on the same day itself the service was done. .
Check out the electrical connector which is behind the engine and in front of the hose from the air cleaner. This is one of the reasons for the problem you have quoted. I am enclosing a photo for your reference. It is with 2 wires going into the connector. Acess is quite difficult due to trellis and the head.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-1418567136051.jpg  

unk9ja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2014, 09:02   #3637
BHPian

Quote:
All the connections look good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
The speedo console and other electricals are working fine?

Is the MIL lit up?

First thing I would have done is to check the air filter and make sure it is clean.
There was no MIL lit up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilp View Post
Also get the electrical coils checked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Mayte, I hope you are running enough oil. Can you check levels on the peep hole. Check with a warm engine else the indicated level is not accurate.
The service center guys suspect it to be a problem with the Fuel pump not working properly and there isnt enough pressure delivered by it and hence will have to change the Fuel pump. The pump was out of stock and im waiting for the new pump to arrive and hope it resolves the problem.

Query: My bike is a tad over 13 months now. Will replacement of the pump be carried out under warranty?
Old 15th December 2014, 09:30   #3638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG_ang View Post
bike is a tad over 13 months now. Will replacement of the pump be carried out under warranty?
Yes, KTM warranty policy is quite good so it will be covered. Besides, your bike is still in warranty period. Relax.
anilp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2014, 11:49   #3639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG_ang View Post
The service center guys suspect it to be a problem with the Fuel pump not working properly and there isnt enough pressure delivered by it and hence will have to change the Fuel pump.
I have a feeling that you are heading for a long haul on this one.

Save for the bike itself, they changed almost everything in my bike, to rectify a stalling problem. And it is still there .

Also there is a decomp valve problem in the earlier batches. You might as well have a look.
Old 16th December 2014, 18:49   #3640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Save for the bike itself, they changed almost everything in my bike, to rectify a stalling problem. And it is still there .
Surprising.
So what is the future course of action, both yours and Bajaj's.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 16th December 2014, 21:42   #3641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Surprising.
So what is the future course of action, both yours and Bajaj's.

Regards
Sutripta
I use a routine to overcome it. Afterall the problem is there before the engine heats up which takes hardly 3min. So I hold the throttle slightly at a higher rpm, while engaging the clutch till the bike heats up. And while downshifting I always blip the throttle, which also helps the shifts smoother. Anyways I dont bother about it nowadays.
Old 16th December 2014, 22:25   #3642
BHPian

Went on a great ride yesterday with a friend who recently purchased a CBR 250 (used in case anyone wondering how he got his hands on one ) . The weather here was dull and cloudy the past few days and luckily the road we picked barely had any traffic or even potholes . Exchanged motorcycles for about 10km , the CBR is a calmer bike , didn't enjoy the ergonomics .

Astride the Honda(non ABS ) I suddenly realized something I had previously thought about - how much ABS affects me and my mind and the way I brake . I have been lately thinking I am relying heavily on ABS and I don't like that , by relying I don't mean I am activating ABS but the mere presence gives me the confidence to apply pressure firmly . I often activate the rear ABS and it very noticeable , the lever kick back is hard and there is also a khat khat sound when it happens . I have never sensed the front lever pulsating , does it pulsates noticeably(no gloves) when ABS kicks in or not ? In general just how far do you guys push the frontlever on non ABS bikes before entering the lock territory ? Are disc brakes in general very lock prone or that is not the case ? I don't let it affect me at all when I ride but sometimes when mind is unoccupied and I am thinking about a ride , I wonder how much risk I am taking always assuming the ABS won't fail on me - always 2 finger and never grab hard , in fact often I have to apply more pressure because it arrives quite late. Excuse my ignorance as well as In experience .

Another thing , 0 - 100 acceleration . I have easy access to a 0.5km stretch near my home barricaded at one end and devoid of any kind of life form with good perimeter visibility . Often hit the stretch to redline in 3rd gear before slowing down , so far I only go WOT in the first gear from a rolling start of 10kmph . kind of afraid of dumping the clutch and popping a wheelie from stand still , some tips will be appreciated . Another question I have is how do you guys apply throttle , I mean do you chop it hard or twist it smoothly ( fast of course but not a rough chop ) ?

How does temperature/cold air affect performance ? Lately I have noticed the bike in 3rd gear takes a good second before accelerating when I suddenly twist it around the 5k rpm range . If I am at 7k rpm and then chop it , the response is instant and fast but if I am at 5k , it feels like the bike is first gulping air and fuel before building up pace . Temp. here has gone down by 10 deg since I took delivery .

How often should the air filter be cleaned ? This was not done during first service and I am not sure if they are supposed to . Are they within their rights to charge me for the job if I get it cleaned , I am planning to drop by the SVC by this weekend and might as well get this done.
Old 16th December 2014, 22:48   #3643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How does temperature/cold air affect performance ? Lately I have noticed the bike in 3rd gear takes a good second before accelerating when I suddenly twist it around the 5k rpm range . If I am at 7k rpm and then chop it , the response is instant and fast but if I am at 5k , it feels like the bike is first gulping air and fuel before building up pace . Temp. here has gone down by 10 deg since I took delivery .

How often should the air filter be cleaned ? This was not done during first service and I am not sure if they are supposed to . Are they within their rights to charge me for the job if I get it cleaned , I am planning to drop by the SVC by this weekend and might as well get this done.
Your first observation is what i had. Fix was the fuel filter. I am sure there was something clogging. There is a lack of response rather than a dip when you want to accelerate. When you are in and around 7K you will not see this hold period.I changed the fuel filter which seems to fix it. Its a small plastic reservoir like thing on top of the engine head. I hope i am saying the right term (Fuel filter)

some are riding with open K&N filter where there is a drastic change to the noise itself. You can clean the filter yourself. Just vaccumm it on a biweekly basis.

ABS is for emergency and it should stay that way. Reason is that you change your style if you end up wanting to use ABS all the time. Think of yourself riding just another bike that has good braking. The ABS is additional aid in case some auto veers suddenly across you. Thats the time i almost go for full braking. Otherwise its always gradual and controlled meaning you are on control over the bike and not the otherwise around.

Always think ABS will fail to be safe on road. On tracks its a different story.

This bike will not do a power wheelie. It will do a wheelie like any other 100cc if you know the technique to blip. But otherwise stand still, full throttle will not wheelie this bike if you are remotely as fat as i am. I am 90kgs by the way and i am tall.

It does not have that much power on it to lift the front wheels like a super sport would do.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2014, 00:02   #3644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Your first observation is what i had. Fix was the fuel filter. I am sure there was something clogging. There is a lack of response rather than a dip when you want to accelerate. When you are in and around 7K you will not see this hold period.I changed the fuel filter which seems to fix it. Its a small plastic reservoir like thing on top of the engine head. I hope i am saying the right term (Fuel filter)

But otherwise stand still, full throttle will not wheelie this bike if you are remotely as fat as i am. I am 90kgs by the way and i am tall.
A filter was changed during first service (@1000km , done 500 more since then) but I think that was the engine oil filter . Fuel filter means the filter between the petrol tank and fuel injection system right ?

Yes one of the many things I like about the bike is it remains planted at front under sudden acceleration . I am 73kg btw (6'1 ) , I was 103kg on March 31st of this year . I didn't plan to lose this much but went overboard , bulking up at a slow pace now .
Old 17th December 2014, 00:07   #3645
Senior - BHPian

Share your secret from 103 to 73. Unless i am in sahara stranded for 10 days, i dont see myself motivating me to lose that much.

Losing so fast is also not good. But thats a different topic for a different thread.

Yes, i meant that plastic part with 3 points to connect pipes. This is what i changed and it just fixed that feeling of waiting to launch below 5K RPM.

The service center guy was adamant it was not there until i made him test ride two bikes one after the other.

Most Viewed