Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2014, 16:28   #3676
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus_the_virus View Post
Bro, while vehicles as they get older will start losing bhp at the wheel due to a host of reasons, however bikes even with the same mileage on them can have completely different performance figures. It is all about the way the bike has been ridden and maintained that matters. It's all moving and mechanical parts and if the older bike had been ridden hard, then it is more than likely that there is more mechanical wear and tear on the older engine. it could also be the fuel. Taking 2 random bikes and running them against each other is not really how you do a test. You need to use the same fuel, have both the bikes serviced before the test etc even before you start comparing. However, the possibility that maps might be tweaked a little bit is not ruled out but then we would all have known by now if that was the case.
Both the bikes run on Shell petrol, from the same bunk. Both the bikes were serviced very recently. And, both the bikes had approx same amount of petrol at the time of the run.
Even if the above factors were ignored, a little difference in performance is expected and very understandable, but the difference in this case was very large; hence the post here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilp View Post

(1) Are you sure your bike doesn't do this?

(3) looks like both your bikes need an experienced technician to have a look.
1) Yes, I'm very sure that the rear doesn't lock up during engine braking.

3) 'Occasionally' means around 5-6 times in 8 months of ownership. But, my bike's hot start problem is very frequent.

Last edited by schakravarthy : 27th December 2014 at 16:32.
Old 27th December 2014, 20:32   #3677
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
1) Yes, I'm very sure that the rear doesn't lock up during engine braking.
Possibly different grip levels of the rear tyres.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 27th December 2014, 22:19   #3678
BHPian

Quote:
) 'Occasionally' means around 5-6 times in 8 months of ownership. But, my bike's hot start problem is very frequent.
Is the radiator fan working properly?
Old 28th December 2014, 08:43   #3679
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Possibly different grip levels of the rear tyres.
Quite possible. His is shod with new Michelins, 140/70, whereas mine's on the Metz that are on their way out.
Should check again when my bike gets new tyres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilp View Post
Is the radiator fan working properly?
Yes! Had been on a long drive today morning with the other Duke for company. My temperature gauge runs around 2 bars lower than his for the same distance and speeds. But the fan does turn on.
The hot start problem surfaced again. The throttle needs to be opened ever-so-slightly for the bike to fire up.
Old 29th December 2014, 19:49   #3680
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Just back from my 2nd longish trip on the 390. Bangalore > Pondicherry> Bangalore. total around 850 kms including some roaming around pondy.

Roads are mostly superb or good. Bike is fun on the highway. Felt a bit better with knee and ankle aches this time. Still feel the seat to be a bit hard. Wish the tank was a bit bigger.

No hiccups this time throughout the ride. Chain was a bit tight, so adjusted and lubed it mid way. got an average of 32kmpl. Bike inspires confidence on the road. All in all a good and enjoyable ride.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-dsc_0980.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-dsc_1008.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-dsc_1022.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-dsc_1026.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-dsc_1033.jpg  

nasirkaka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 18:39   #3681
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Just back from my 2nd longish trip on the 390. Bangalore > Pondicherry> Bangalore. total around 850 kms including some roaming around pondy.
Hey nasirkaka, nice to see you back in action. Can you post the developments on the carrier you were fabricating for the bike? Some pictures would do justice.
Old 31st December 2014, 11:22   #3682
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Can you post the developments on the carrier you were fabricating for the bike? Some pictures would do justice.
the carrier is there on the bike. I have just used it to throw the cramster stallion saddle bag around it. The carrier has provision to secure the bag. This provision worked like charm. I think i have shared the pics of the carrier in this thread some pages back.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2015, 17:45   #3683
BHPian

a random thought just crossed my mind.

is it possible to change the the "ready to race" message we get on the console?
Old 4th January 2015, 09:20   #3684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchy_cool View Post
a random thought just crossed my mind.

is it possible to change the the "ready to race" message we get on the console?
Unlikely. I reckon they're factory programmed and can't be broken or edited.
Try asking your SVC manager about this, perhaps?
Old 5th January 2015, 10:50   #3685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Try asking your SVC manager about this, perhaps?
I asked my service manager yesterday while picking the bike from service and it cannot be changed.
Old 5th January 2015, 14:24   #3686
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchy_cool View Post
I asked my service manager yesterday while picking the bike from service and it cannot be changed.
Ask him if the bike can be remapped, and I'm pretty sure the answer to that will be in the negative too.
With all due respect to the numerous service centres and service managers, they are their to keep our bikes running and that is it. They aren't the right people to advise you on modifications.
Find a good remapper and your speedo console should start to display the lyrics of your favourite song too.

Last edited by schakravarthy : 5th January 2015 at 14:26.
Old 5th January 2015, 14:39   #3687
BHPian

Quote:
...and I'm pretty sure the answer to that will be in the negative too.
I completely agree with you. I got my head beam adjusted, front forks tightened and chain tightened by a 2nd reliable private service station I go to for pressure washes and other minute works.
Asked the SVC for head beam adjustment, they gave me a theory that my lights will go haywire. For the front forks, they said it'll 'disbalance' the bike. For chain tightening, they took 100 bucks from me.
Perhaps in the distant future, KTM will make in mandatory for the SVC crew to undergo a compulsory etiquette and skill training, so that the behavior of the staff is at par with their bikes.

Last edited by barcalad : 5th January 2015 at 14:40. Reason: Wrong quote entered.
Old 5th January 2015, 14:59   #3688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Perhaps in the distant future, KTM will make in mandatory for the SVC crew to undergo a compulsory etiquette and skill training, so that the behavior of the staff is at par with their bikes.
I was never able to convince the SVC guys that the brake needs a thorough bleeding. They are damn lazy to take up any jobs!

Regarding the headlight adjustment, better do it yourself. I guess the procedure is there in the manual.
Old 5th January 2015, 15:26   #3689
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
I was never able to convince the SVC guys that the brake needs a thorough bleeding. They are damn lazy to take up any jobs!
+1 to that!

There's only ONE mechanic here at Mysore and he attends to both, Kawasaki and KTM bikes, in a dingy basement. There are two workstations side by side, an orange one for KTM and a green one for Kawasaki.
I had paid a visit to the service station to ask the mechanic if anything could be done to rid the sponginess of the front brake. That fellow didn't even come outside to have a look at the bike. He dismissed me saying that all 390s were like that; without even checking my bike.
In the end, Sunnyboi helped me out with changing the brake fluid and bleeding the brake. The feel did improve a bit; but it still feels rather spongy.
Old 5th January 2015, 16:26   #3690
BHPian

Myself being subjected to frustration by the SVC here . Visited them last Friday and again today for a major annoyance they simply are incapable of acknowledging let alone fix it .

The annoyance being when the bike has run for 20+kms at a stretch , there is a distinct squealing sound(the sound is definitely definitely rotational in nature , not from shockers ) from the rear and is prominent through my thick helmet even at 40+ speeds . It is loudest when the bike is leaned in during a turn , my guess is rear brake . Both brakes in general squeal loudly when applied especially during coming to a stop (the squeal is cheap and head turning ) . I have also been notified of the sound over a dozen time now at signals etc by well meaning riders who wish to make me aware my bike is making weird noises from behind .

On friday , after describing the problem to them , they took a ride but there was no squeal (like I mentioned it happens after riding for over 20 kilometers , my guess is temperature of pads is critical here ) and dismissed the issue and quite rudely no less. Rode the bike for 30km today , established that there is a distinct squeal and then rode another 10km to the SVC , made them ride the bike , they grudging acknowledge the sound but say it is because of dirt stuck to pad !!! A 2 lakh worth bike with an SVC that cannot even fix a disc brake squeal . Asked them to clean and lube and tighten the chain and said there is no need . Disc brake is just my guess , it is of course possible the sound is from bearings or chain or some other moving part but I am at a loss if the SVC is sticking to dirt as an excuse . They even insinuated I worry too much , that half the pulsars etc they sale don't even come for routine service when I requested the chain tightening/lube job. This is their standard .

The bike has been great for most parts but it has developed some major annoyances proving very difficult to ignore. The brake squeal rules supreme , I can digest the noise when applied but with no pressure is too much . Then it vibrates abnormally now both at handle as well as fuel tank (i always grip tank with thighs ) when fuel level is down(50% or less) . The throttle feedback is unpredictable , at the same damn rpm , sometimes it jumps forward like a scalded cat and other times it feels like gulping for air and fuel . Reported these too without any response or even attention . Asked them to ride the RC 390 parked outside to a nearby open stretch to compare pick up and general performance but refused again . The manager was absent as it was lunch time but will request him to arrange a get together for duke owners , maybe riding another similar bike will provide some benchmark though my hopes are low as there are total of just 5 390's sold here including RC .

Last edited by basuroy : 5th January 2015 at 16:41.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks