Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2015, 18:05   #3826
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnkurS View Post
Dear Urban_Nomad,
I wanted to suggest you try wearing cycling shorts under your riding pants/denims for the following reasons:
Quote:
Originally Posted by anilp View Post
Btwin cycling shorts are good. I've been using them for long rides quite a lot. Costs around 1200 bucks and available at Decathlon.
Second the opinion of AnkurS and anilp. The cycling shorts are way better than any gel padded seats. I had used them on my Bangalore-Leh-Banglalore trip and never once in the entire 22 day, I felt a sore back. The cycling shorts are breathable and have anti bacterial treatment. It used to dry itself overnight after a wash.

I had got the ones quoted by anilp for a discounted price of 699INR at the Decathlon. There are shorts from 600INR all the way upto 2500INR at the Decathlon store.

One of my friend had got these gel pad seats for the same trip feels it is no way helping him now and the seat feels crumpled after sometime.

The height definitely does not get affected with this.
Old 3rd February 2015, 18:59   #3827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
Now barcalad can confirm if he got the new fan or not. :-)
Alas! I haven't.
I don't mind the heat now, after having ridden it for many months now. It does belch intolerable heat at times, but that's just for a few seconds. Subsides down on it's own, like a short tempered rant. I reckon it's the bike's way of throwing a tantrum at the owner for riding it in such chaotic traffic. Heh!
Old 4th February 2015, 10:08   #3828
BHPian

Quote:
According to KTM guys, the old system switches the fan on in such a way that the flow of air is towards the front side, when the bike is at a speed below 10 kph, and would reverse the flow towards the engine side when the bike picks up speed.

This causes hot air to flow towards our thighs and below knees.

In order to direct the hot air flow away from the riders body, the hot air is directed downwards through the shroud, as per the new system.

And according to KTM guys, inorder to retrofit the new fan assembly, the wiring harness also has to be replaced.
So does that mean the fan rotates in only one direction now irrespective of the speed?
Old 4th February 2015, 12:15   #3829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post

... But a faint glow is still emitted from the 'abs' light.. sort of like a residual current effect. The light disappears by itself after about 10 secs or, immediately, in case the ignition is turned 'off'.
I paid a visit to the KTM service centre here at Mysore. The technician agreed that the meter was indeed faulty and replaced it under warranty. But the odo reading is now at '0' as he claimed that the previous reading cannot be entered, which wasnt the case when my friend got his Punto's meter replaced under warranty. Is the bike meter different, or is the technician plain lazy?

As a parting shot, he said that my bike was not actually covered under warranty as I am the second owner and that he is doing me a favour by replacing it! But, the KTM website clearly mentions that the warranty can be applicable to the bike even after the ownership change. Confused!

Quote:

Is the KTM manufacturer's warrant still valid after the motorcycle has been sold?

Yes, the KTM manufacturer's warranty is specific to a particular motorcycle and can be transferred to a new owner. The precondition for this is that the new owner is registered in the KTM Dealer.Net. Registration can be performed by any*KTM dealer.*

You also have the option of registering the transfer of ownership using the " Address or Owner Change" card in the service booklet. Please send it to the KTM representative in your country.

Also can the warranty be extended now? My bike is less than a year old; March 2014 bought, to be precise. The technician here said that KTM does not have an 'extended warranty' option, but I'm not sure if he can be believed!

Any inputs?

Last edited by schakravarthy : 4th February 2015 at 12:37.
Old 4th February 2015, 15:28   #3830
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
So does that mean the fan rotates in only one direction now irrespective of the speed?
No! The fan does run at reverse at ambling speeds or equivalent speeds, this is why you have that "kebab" syndrome. Once the speeds kick in it goes full forward march. But, the shroud doesn't eliminate the "kebab" syndrome it just nullifies the effect to an extent say around 45 percent efficiency from what I've experienced (personally observed).

My bike, sans, this shroud was indeed a pain, where I can feel the heat even with thick jeans and riding boot. But with the shroud I can feel almost nil heat, though you feel sudden gist of hot air, very occasionally, which is absolutely bearable even with shorts. I'd rate this 7.9 on a scale of 1 to 10 when it comes to hot air deflection.

Why ride slow, when you can ride fast, save your skin!

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2015, 22:51   #3831
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Alas! I haven't.
I don't mind the heat now, after having ridden it for many months now. It does belch intolerable heat at times, but that's just for a few seconds. Subsides down on it's own, like a short tempered rant. I reckon it's the bike's way of throwing a tantrum at the owner for riding it in such chaotic traffic. Heh!
I was hoping you got the new fan as replacement. Was thinking of finding some excuse to get the fan replaced.
Quote:
According to KTM guys, for intermediate models.
Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
As a parting shot, he said that my bike was not actually covered under warranty as I am the second owner and that he is doing me a favour by replacing it! But, the KTM website clearly mentions that the warranty can be applicable to the bike even after the ownership change. Confused!
Also can the warranty be extended now? My bike is less than a year old; March 2014 bought, to be precise. The technician here said that KTM does not have an 'extended warranty' option, but I'm not sure if he can be believed!

Any inputs?
I am quite surprised that the warranty cannot be transferred. Usually the warranty covers the specific vehicle or a product of a specific serial number.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
My bike, sans , this shroud was indeed a pain. But with the shroud I can feel almost nil heat
Wow!!! How did you manage to replace the old fan. Please share
Old 4th February 2015, 23:24   #3832
BHPian

Quote:
I was hoping you got the new fan as replacement. Was thinking of finding some excuse to get the fan replaced.
Yeah. Minus the shroud. Is this shroud thing there for the RC series too?
Old 5th February 2015, 00:11   #3833
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow!!! How did you manage to replace the old fan. Please share
I think you didn't read my post properly. I rode the one with shroud to Kolli Hills during a KTM ride, and those were my observed view points. I never said I replace one on mine. I mean, come on, why the heck would I do that on an already flimsy machine!

Cheers!
VJ
Old 5th February 2015, 01:07   #3834
BHPian

Quote:
why the heck would I do that on an already flimsy machine!
Hey VJ sorry for being

But why flimsy? And as I read through the post you parted ways with your Duke?
Old 5th February 2015, 01:09   #3835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Is this shroud thing there for the RC series too?
Hey barclad RC's has a better heat channeling system in place. All the hot air gets vented out from the under belly area and you don't feel any heat (Atleast my observation) in comparison to my Duke 390.
akshayhonda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2015, 02:03   #3836
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshayhonda View Post
Hey VJ sorry for being

But why flimsy? And as I read through the post you parted ways with your Duke?
Flimsy in the sense, the way the electronics dangle, exposed, coil getting rusted, sigh oh sigh, is what I meant APT. Don't worry, nothing to feel OT about.

Unfortunately yes, parted with her, been close to months! Something even better in the pipeline!

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 5th February 2015 at 02:05.
Old 5th February 2015, 03:04   #3837
BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately yes, parted with her, been close to months! Something even better in the pipeline!

Ohh damn. Looking at your pic in the Dainese I was soo excited

Guess its a Jap that's coming your way now ehh?
Old 5th February 2015, 07:46   #3838
BHPian

Quote:

Peace of mind is synonymous with the Japs IMO.
Old 5th February 2015, 10:53   #3839
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Peace of mind is synonymous with the Japs IMO.
Good lord, +10,000.

Quote:

For now it's a surprise as even I have been spoilt by the offers and have zero clue on what. Giving it a few months. But you'll know it anyway APT..

Cheers!
VJ
Old 5th February 2015, 16:37   #3840
BHPian

Coming back to the issue of idling for 1-2 seconds after releasing throttle, it persisted too much to give it a benefit of doubt, like I had been doing all these days. I suspected the throttle cable. Today, as I was travelling to Commercial Street in Carbon Monoxide laced traffic, I observed it started to re-occur. And the temp. gauge was 3 bars minus the 'Coolant Temp. High' level. There was no way on earth I could attribute this to 'cold weather' anymore. Decided to pay my trusted service center in BSK 2nd Stage a visit. (I have mentioned about them earlier)

KTM SVCs were out of question because even if you go there to lube your chain, they'll probably ask you leave the bike overnight.

I met the manager of the SVC and explained the behavior of the bike and the idling issue. I also told him that I felt the throttle cable was upto some mischief. He gave me the EXACT smirk that people give me when I reply to their 'What's the mileage' queries at traffic signals.

Out came the seat and fuel tank. There lay 2-3 sensors below the fuel tank which were related to the fuel pipe/throttle in some way or the other. All them sensors were cleaned with compressed air, and belched out unbelievable amounts of dust. They were thus connected back, and everything was bolted back in. I also happened to clean both my brake pads and the squealing is now history.

Riding back home, the bike felt unbelievably eager. The idling issue is gone! There has been a change in the timeline between me pulling the throttle and the bike charging forward. It all feels smoother. The engine stops idling the moment I release the throttle, even in heavy traffic (where I have to use 1st/2nd gears for consistently).

Well then, that was a major relief!

Most Viewed