Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2015, 14:10   #3871
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Guys,
The 390 (Duke and RC) is now equipped with a slipper clutch. This is shared by an employee of KTM on the x-bhp site. Link here.
hiren.mistry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 14:32   #3872
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Guys,
The 390 (Duke and RC) is now equipped with a slipper clutch. This is shared by an employee of KTM on the x-bhp site. Link here.
Whoa! Thats some news and I didn't see that coming! This should take care of the kick in the crotch engine braking of the 390. Any idea of the price difference this would make?
Old 12th February 2015, 17:40   #3873
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
I'd be extremely happy for you (more for your ride) if they do it right for you.

At least then, somewhere in this country there would stand a KTM technician with lots of passion, skill and humility!
Finally got my bike!!
The issues I reported.
1. A whizzing noise at around 40-50 kph which starts to kind of howling when at around 80-100kph, from the front side.
2. A tappet noise kind of noise at below 5000 rpms. Higher the throttle input, higher the noise.
3. Veering towards right, hands free.

What the technician did.
1. The technician claimed, that he checked for the sound after removing the tank cover, and a host of other culprits. Finally he changed the oil seal for the front and back wheels. Said he fixed the issue.
2. He claims that the tappet noise is present for all 390s. I dont know if it's true.
3. Said that he rectified the problem by doing something with the cone assembly.

Result
1. Not sorted out at all. Will have to report back when I have time.
2. I will take a test ride to confirm.
3. Completely balanced
Old 12th February 2015, 17:48   #3874
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
1. The technician claimed, that he checked for the sound after removing the tank cover, and a host of other culprits. Finally he changed the oil seal for the front and back wheels. Said he fixed the issue.
Next time, ask him to show you where exactly the oil seals are and also where KTM has filled the oil for the wheels.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 18:02   #3875
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
2. He claims that the tappet noise is present for all 390s. I dont know if it's true.
As expected.

No such sound in mine, though. Do let us know after doing a trial. If it persists, try getting it checked at a different SVC?
Old 12th February 2015, 21:15   #3876
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Next time, ask him to show you where exactly the oil seals are and also where KTM has filled the oil for the wheels.
I also felt that he hasn't done anything on the wheel. I will anyways get a testride from the same dealer. And then I will approach him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
As expected.

No such sound in mine, though. Do let us know after doing a trial. If it persists, try getting it checked at a different SVC?
I will wait for the second service. The next dealer is quite far from here. But will make it a trip.
Old 13th February 2015, 10:57   #3877
BHPian

Guys, anyone participating at the KTM Track Day, Chennai at MMSC on 15th Feb 2015 ?
I'm planning to participate.
Old 13th February 2015, 12:24   #3878
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
Flimsy in the sense, the way the electronics dangle, exposed, coil getting rusted, sigh oh sigh, is what I meant APT. Don't worry, nothing to feel OT about.

Unfortunately yes, parted with her, been close to months! Something even better in the pipeline!

Cheers!
VJ
Quote:
Guys,
Now that a slipper clutch is coming in, are you finally gonna get the 'better' bike(Read RC390)?
Old 13th February 2015, 12:56   #3879
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Whoa! Thats some news and I didn't see that coming! This should take care of the kick in the crotch engine braking of the 390. Any idea of the price difference this would make?
Apparently the price remains the same as before. Along with slipper clutch Bajaj/KTM have introduced a raft of improvement. Kudos to Bajaj/KTM!!
Hopefully I might get a Duke for myself.

Cheers
hiren.mistry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2015, 12:57   #3880
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roomy View Post
Now that a slipper clutch is coming in, are you finally gonna get the 'better' bike(Read RC390)?
Excellent question. Well, apparently the good just got better. I mean yes, I am looking forward for the RC, having been sold the 390 and waiting for close to four months without a ride, I hope waiting was the right choice, and it's proved fruitful, especially considering the update.

I'm just... Just holding on one more darned month for the new launches to initiate, or at least hopefully.

P. S. Waiting is such a PAIN in the posterior..

Cheers!
VJ
Old 13th February 2015, 13:05   #3881
BHPian

Mithun , my bike makes an audible tappet sound as well from day 1 . It gets louder as the engine warms up and seems more prominent on the left hand side of the engine than the right. With all the other hideous racket the engine makes , not bothered about it anymore. Realized this is a poorly assembled bike that only on surface value justifies the price tag lol , far from the level of perfection and execution one expects from a bike these days .

As for slipper clutch , I have never experienced one before so can someone describe the practical use of one on this bike ? The obvious to me is of course one can downshift now early without severe engine breaking but what is the practical scenario where one would find it necessary to downshift at a high rpm ?

Last edited by basuroy : 13th February 2015 at 13:10.
Old 13th February 2015, 13:08   #3882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
Mithun , my bike makes an audible tappet sound as well from day 1
Just curious, what does this sound like? Something like the Enfield cast iron engine tappets?
Old 13th February 2015, 13:15   #3883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Apparently the price remains the same as before. Along with slipper clutch Bajaj/KTM have introduced a raft of improvement. Kudos to Bajaj/KTM!!
Oh. My. God! This is too good to be true! Bajaj/KTM surely deserves a standing ovation for this!
Old 13th February 2015, 15:25   #3884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilp View Post
Just curious, what does this sound like? Something like the Enfield cast iron engine tappets?
More akin to modern UCE engine tappet noise. I think UCE do not have tappets, and have rockers similiar to 390. Not sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
Mithun , my bike makes an audible tappet sound as well from day 1 . It gets louder as the engine warms up and seems more prominent on the left hand side of the engine than the right. With all the other hideous racket the engine makes , not bothered about it anymore. Realized this is a poorly assembled bike that only on surface value justifies the price tag lol , far from the level of perfection and execution one expects from a bike these days .

As for slipper clutch , I have never experienced one before so can someone describe the practical use of one on this bike ? The obvious to me is of course one can downshift now early without severe engine breaking but what is the practical scenario where one would find it necessary to downshift at a high rpm ?
I read in a few forums that, valve clearance check is mandatory at KTM for owners outside india. And I am pretty sure that the valve clearance should be way off the recommended, to produce such noise. It slipped out of my technicians mouth that the shims required, to rectify the problem are not available with them. I saw one or two videos in the youtube on how to change the shims to adjust the clearances. It is simple but a bit time consuming job. And I also suspect that these fellows are not taught how to adjust valve clearances at all.
Old 13th February 2015, 18:19   #3885
BHPian

Since I heard from a few riders that they haven't heard any thing resembling tappet noise in their bike, I went ahead and took a test drive in a brand new 390, and surprisingly it also had the same issue. So at least it is present in other bikes. I don't know if I need to persue it further. But I know that the sound has every thing to do with valve clearances and most of the riders are oblivious to it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks