Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2015, 19:27   #3961
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Surely the engine can be fine tuned or even used a basis to develop a motor with power delivery more suited for off roading . This is a powerful bike , I believe with effort , they can make a good adventurer with this motor as a basis(even if not using it directly ). However there might be few reasons why they are not interested -
1. Adventures bikes are unlikely to sell as much as a faired or naked sport in India and similar category markets .
2. Abroad , they are all about power and what might be satisfactorily powerful for us might be weak for them when it comes to off road use.
3. The engine might have limitations which makes it unsuitable for such riding environment .
4. They are already developing 2 twin cylinder(v-twin right ?) bikes in mid range category , probably cannot afford the R & D resources for a mid range adventure bike .

ps: Isn't the 390/200/125 series motor itself derived from one of their 350cc (or similar cubic capacity ) enduro/dirt bike ? I recall reading something along the line but not sure .

Last edited by basuroy : 25th February 2015 at 19:28.
Old 25th February 2015, 21:58   #3962
BHPian

What's the best we to bring the bike to dead stop when in control but still want the shortest braking distance?

1. Grab a handful of the front brakes and let the ABS do its job.
2. Brake till the maximum possible friction point as in a non ABS bike.
Old 25th February 2015, 22:29   #3963
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhilash95 View Post
2. Brake till the maximum possible friction point as in a non ABS bike.
Always this please. If you practice braking like this, you will not be taken by surprise on a non-ABS bike if you have to ride one! Its best to keep the ABS as an additional safety net all the time.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2015, 09:31   #3964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What's the best we to bring the bike to dead stop when in control but still want the shortest braking distance?
Mostly by riding at the sane speed in the first place except if you are in a track with proper gears.

Otherwise, the intention is to keep the bike as straight as possible and breaking to the max limit when the bike is upright and straight.

This could mean adjusting your body position, managing weight balance while braking and finally braking itself.

The rear brakes can help a bit but majority of work needs to be done by the front brake. With proper ABS (Which actually distribute this load automatically) you gotto go wacko on the brakes while adjusting other parameters.

And mostly importantly which road condition you are in. In Gravel ABS can actually be deadly rather than helping you.

On Tarmac, i would advice go with the instinct while you can fine tune it with practice.

Fine tune is by practicing in a safe environment what your bike can do at 20-40KMPH.

Anything above that, you are risking too much not only at practice but also in real life situations.

Learning to use gears to reduce speed and applying brakes in another technique. Its between bike and life and i always try to chose life over bike and jam those gears where the engine brake works wonders to slow down faster.(Again this requires practice and expectation of how the bike will react when you downshift and simply increase the engine RPM and creating that huge engine brake scenario.
Old 26th February 2015, 10:10   #3965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Always this please. If you practice braking like this, you will not be taken by surprise on a non-ABS bike if you have to ride one! Its best to keep the ABS as an additional safety net all the time.
Valid point. Some Scandinavian countries now do not teach kids cursive writing in school, and they start off learning on computers and interactive tabs.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2015, 10:47   #3966
Senior - BHPian

you are back....thats good for the community. Now share your 390 stories please.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2015, 11:48   #3967
BHPian

The speedometer of my D390 was changed a month back. I was facing an issue of the speedometer showing 0 kmph while riding. Even after the change the issue has surfaced again .Please see the video. Is anybody experiencing the same issue ?

Thanks

Last edited by aditya.bhardwaj : 26th February 2015 at 11:49.
Old 26th February 2015, 11:53   #3968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
The speedometer of my D390 was changed a month back. I was facing an issue of the speedometer showing 0 kmph while riding. Even after the change the issue has surfaced again .Please see the video. Is anybody experiencing the same issue ?

Thanks

http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=vb2Hy...ature=Youtu.be
Hey, I had a similar issue, a couple of years back, when the speedo would show 0 and speeds haphazardly. Didn't have to change the console or the sensor and, instead, just changing the cable did the trick. Costed a couple of hundred rupees or lesser if I can remember.

This is for a 2008-R15 so not sure if this helps you.
Sojogator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2015, 13:32   #3969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
speedometer showing 0 kmph while riding. Even after the change the issue has surfaced again .Please see the video. Is anybody experiencing the same issue
This is a known issue, and there's no fix as yet. However, after seeing the video, I have a query. Does it only happen when you abruptly turn the handlebar while cruising or downshifting? Or does it happen just like that without a trigger as such? Also, as the previous poster just mentioned, did you check the wiring?

Last edited by anilp : 26th February 2015 at 13:33.
Old 26th February 2015, 14:25   #3970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Ah! Rusty memory I guess. I don't remember it at all. Let me go back and check. I still think that it will be a great platform to begin with!
Actually it was with Doc. I was adamant that Duke 390 lacked low end torque and hence was not ideal for touring. I went on with tyres, seats etc supporting my argument. Finally doc asked me to go for long touring before commenting on 390s touring capabilities.
Old 26th February 2015, 14:29   #3971
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
Finally doc asked me to go for long touring before commenting on 390s touring capabilities.
And did you?

Not directed to anyone in particular, but in my experience, the less you ride the more you obsess about the machinery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
you are back....thats good for the community. Now share your 390 stories please.
Thanks for that thought buddy. The 390 is now my highway bike (which is also a function of how bad she is in peak Pune Camp traffic). And Doppie gets to see more daily city action (which keeps the love alive, with the slow thump).

The 390 is significantly faster than a friend's piped 390 (a much newer bike), so I'm happy. She has not hit some of the fantastical numbers yet we hear from BIC, but she has been in the same ballpark (which is all I can say per forum rules). That however takes a decent stretch of road. About 5-10 kmph less she does very effortlessly.

She very easily keeps up with Ninja 650s on rides. Actually pretty much bullies them, which is more a function of the two bikes, than their respective riders. On this bike, I can finally enjoy myself in a mixed bike ride with the big boys (a 690 would be perfect though .....).

Then reality hits home when the yellow low fuel light starts flashing at 160-170 kms from tankful only ...... so my old friend Lepp was right after all. This baby gulps when whipped.

Haven't done anything special to her till now except take off the saree guard (that too because a moron BPO cab guy hit the back end of it at a U turn on Nagar Road and bent it inward towards the wheel).

She is just perfect the way she is and the only niggle I have to date is I've not been able to take her out more often, or for longer stretches than the standard Sunday morning blasts.

Oh yes, and the brakes are hugely improved over the test 390s. Grateful!

Last edited by ebonho : 26th February 2015 at 14:47.
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th February 2015, 14:44   #3972
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
And did you?

Not directed to anyone in particular, but in my experience, the less you ride the more you obsess about the machinery.
Yes I did . Agree that it is a good tourer; the bike compels you to take it out and just go. But I have been choosy with the roads. I always go to places where I know the roads leading to are good, preferably highways where I can expect good petrol pumps. I don't know about its off roading capabilities. What with the soft compound Metzlers and the crack prone wheels, I am not taking chances with my bike on broken roads. Have to retract my opinion about the engine though. Has adequate low end torque. but could be tuned differently, to reduce the sudden response, and jerkiness, for off roading adventure version.
But an adventure version, with a larger tank capacity, softer suspensions, softer seats, wider pillion seats, and better suited alloys and wheels must be a good addition to the 390 portfolio.

Last edited by mithunvvijayan : 26th February 2015 at 14:48. Reason: Typo Error
mithunvvijayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2015, 14:50   #3973
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
I don't know about its off roading capabilities. What with the soft compound Metzlers and the crack prone wheels, I am not taking chances with my bike on broken roads.
The main danger of breaking the Duke's alloys is on a decent open road with a solitary pothole. Which takes you by surprise. Especially if its just after the apex of a fast corner and you are still leaned over ..... which then leads to your signature line.

Offroading is not going to do anthing to these alloys. And on a broken road you are rarely going to be fast enough.

Last edited by ebonho : 26th February 2015 at 14:52.
Old 26th February 2015, 14:59   #3974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojogator View Post
Hey, I had a similar issue, a couple of years back, when the speedo would show 0 and speeds haphazardly. Didn't have to change the console or the sensor and, instead, just changing the cable did the trick. Costed a couple of hundred rupees or lesser if I can remember.

This is for a 2008-R15 so not sure if this helps you.
I will surely check the wiring once. Didnt check it before. Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by anilp View Post
This is a known issue, and there's no fix as yet. However, after seeing the video, I have a query. Does it only happen when you abruptly turn the handlebar while cruising or downshifting? Or does it happen just like that without a trigger as such? Also, as the previous poster just mentioned, did you check the wiring?
It happens all of a sudden no matter whether i am turning or not. I have mostly noticed it when i am travelling straight. I did not check the wiring. Will have to do it next i guess. There are a lot of D390's here which have the same problem but there is no solution till now.

My next service is scheduled in a couple of days. Lets see what comes as the culprit. Will keep you guys updated.

Thanks
Old 26th February 2015, 15:00   #3975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
The main danger of breaking the Duke's alloys is on a decent open road with a solitary pothole. Which takes you by surprise. Especially if its just after the apex of a fast corner and you are still leaned over ..... which then leads to your signature line.

Offroading is not going to do anthing to these alloys. And on a broken road you are rarely going to be fast enough.
I have had experiences with that kind. Luckily, didn't break anything. And also the suspension oil leaks. I have heard that the harder the suspension is worked, more prone to these kind of leaks. I have seen many, complaining about leaky suspensions in our service center.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks