Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2015, 21:34   #4021
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

@1500 for a sealant for fixing puncture. Hahaha. Thats crazy and i cant you went ahead with this.

It may work, it may not. But 1500 for this is something i would think so much. I rather spend that on fuel to ride more.

But hey, i am old school and i ride my bull exactly the same way as my KTM and if i get a puncture, i use it as a good opportunity for taking a break, a tea and some catch up with the bike itself.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2015, 11:17   #4022
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
He gave an estimate of Rs 1500/- for applying the sealant in both tyres. According to him, KTM has offered the sealant in the latest versions as they wanted to avoid repeated punctures reported by many of its customers. I do not know the veracity of his claim, but anyways gave the go ahead.
No tyre sealant is being offered by KTM, it's the ASC trying to make a quick buck out of unsuspecting customers. They use PFZ tyre sealant. If you're handy, you can buy it online (300rs/250ml) and DIY.
If possible, try sourcing Slime-tire sealant. It's one of best among the lot.
Old 5th March 2015, 11:29   #4023
Senior - BHPian

I did not know you use sealant/slime for tubeless tyres as well. In my personal experience, the offending nail is usually the best sealant. As long as you do not poke and prod it.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2015, 11:47   #4024
BHPian

Folks, tried something last night and it was 'mind blasting'.

A friend's D200 was parked right in front of me, and my D390 right behind his bike and we were sitting beside and talking about stuff.

Casually, I took my bike's key and inserted it into the 200's underseat keyhole. It opened normally. Both of us were shell shocked.

Took his bike key and inserted it into my 390's underseat keyhole. It opened normally, too.

Needless to say, I'm appalled beyond words, as probably 90% of Duke owners keep their bike documents (photocopies mostly) and other stuff under their seat, and something like this has become a source of major tension for me right now.

Any possible solutions? Opinions?

Last edited by barcalad : 5th March 2015 at 12:09.
barcalad is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2015, 11:56   #4025
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
probably 90% of Duke owners keep their bike documents and other stuff under their seat, and something like this has become a source of major tension for me right now.
Bro, my greater source of tension is that you are putting your bike documents under the seat.

The 390 I've bought had a first owner who did the same (along with bike wipe cloth) and the bike caught fire once destroying all the electricals. Eventually most everything was replaced - tank, tank shroud, fuel pump, throttle body, air box, snorkel, side cowls, electricals, fuses, battery ......

You get the drift. The 390 (or 200) is not an Activa where you can use the under-seat "space" to put anything. Max I do on tour is keep a set of spare foot levers there.

Last edited by ebonho : 5th March 2015 at 11:58.
Old 5th March 2015, 12:05   #4026
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Bro, my greater source of tension is that you are putting your bike documents under the seat.

The 390 I've bought had a first owner who did the same (along with bike wipe cloth) and the bike caught fire once destroying all the electricals. Eventually most everything was replaced - tank, tank shroud, fuel pump, throttle body, air box, snorkel, side cowls, electricals, fuses, battery ......

You get the drift. The 390 (or 200) is not an Activa where you can use the under-seat "space" to put anything. Max I do on tour is keep a set of spare foot levers there.
Doc,

I keep the documents (all coloured xerox and duplicate RC), tool kit and first aid kid under my seat.
Documents, because Bangalore cops are unpredictable. Whether it's a Busa or a Bajaj Boxer, they WILL stop you and belt you if they wish. Faced such harassment twice (Once to produce NOC from my native state because I'm a 'Non-Karnataka' resident driving in Karnataka ), and only after revealing my occupation did they back off.

Nevertheless, I'm amazed that such a breach existed in the Dukes. I wonder if changing the under-seat lock will make a difference. Or any other solutions?
Old 5th March 2015, 12:10   #4027
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nevertheless, I'm amazed that such a breach existed in the Dukes. I wonder if changing the under-seat lock will make a difference. Or any other solutions?
Yup, I'm surprised too. Sounds like the battery cover of the Bullet. Any key will do.
Old 5th March 2015, 12:12   #4028
BHPian

Quote:
Yup, I'm surprised too. Sounds like the battery cover of the Bullet. Any key will do.
Shall be visiting the SVC post lunch to get my front brake's calliper rectified. Will bring this up with him and get back to you & others with his response.
Old 5th March 2015, 13:42   #4029
BHPian

Just back from the SVC.

Couldn't get my front brake calliper checked as they have '15-20 bikes', 'no space' and they're very 'busy'. Took a stern tone, humiliated their approach & attitude in front of prospective customers who were gaping at the RC and was promised full priority if I get it to their SVC at 8:30 in the morning and earliest delivery. Tomorrow's a holiday for me, so might just get it done.

On the topic of the underseat lock, the manager said it's very 'Rare' to find two matching keys that'll open the underseat for both the D200 and D390, and there's no reason to worry. On insisting that I wanted a change, he said the price for a new secure lock would be Rs.640 and it'll match with JUST my key. Will give a thought and decide about it soon.

Last edited by barcalad : 5th March 2015 at 13:43.
Old 5th March 2015, 14:47   #4030
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On insisting that I wanted a change, he said the price for a new secure lock would be Rs.640 and it'll match with JUST my key. Will give a thought and decide about it soon.
Did you and your friend try unlocking each other's bikes (ignition)?
Old 5th March 2015, 15:14   #4031
BHPian

SLIPPER CLUTCH CAN BE RETROFITTED in older models!!
Check out the link below
http://www.motorbeam.com/2015/03/bik...old-duke-390s/
Old 5th March 2015, 15:23   #4032
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On insisting that I wanted a change, he said the price for a new secure lock would be Rs.640 and it'll match with JUST my key. Will give a thought and decide about it soon.
On a related note, I visited the ASC to inquire about replacing the whole lock set - I was expecting it to be costly, but was pleasantly surprised to hear that the full set (3 locks including ignition, fuel cap and under seat) cost only 1200.

--Anoop
Old 5th March 2015, 15:57   #4033
BHPian

Quote:
Did you and your friend try unlocking each other's bikes (ignition)?
The igniton doesn't work. It's just the underseat.

Demonstrated it to the SVC guy by randomly unlocking a customer's D200 underseat, much to the horror on their faces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
SLIPPER CLUTCH CAN BE RETROFITTED in older models!!
Check out the link below
http://www.motorbeam.com/2015/03/bik...old-duke-390s/

Yes. It's true. The SVC confirmed about this. Price is Rs. 8000/- and leaving the bike for a complete day. They said they'll inform me once stock arrives.

Last edited by barcalad : 5th March 2015 at 15:58.
barcalad is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2015, 16:14   #4034
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes. It's true. The SVC confirmed about this. Price is Rs. 8000/- and leaving the bike for a complete day. They said they'll inform me once stock arrives.
The article mentions 3500 bucks for the swap. Which sounds reasonable (assuming it includes labor) coz the difference in the two systems is around 2000 bucks. And from the scaned pages of the old and new parts manuals I saw, not all the component parts need to be replaced. So its not like you take A out and slip in B. Kudos Bajaj.

Can't help compare this attitude to that of Royal Enfield where the whole LB crank was being sold as a unit by the factory. So even if only your cage bearing went (which it often did - catastrophically) you could not buy an oversized pin and bearing, and con rod if needed, total of about 3000 bucks (minus labor), but had to buy the whole shebang for some 9-11K bucks. Which meant one then perforce hunted down and bought the parts from the open market.

Last edited by ebonho : 5th March 2015 at 16:29.
Old 5th March 2015, 17:01   #4035
Senior - BHPian

All 390 owners - I was contemplating buying a Duke 390 in foreseeable future. I will be using it for office commute in peak hour traffic mostly. The reason am posting this question is because I'm concerned about my legs getting fried. I have never experienced it but wanted to know from owners if it is unbearable. Also, is there any work around for this issue? Could they have fixed it in 2015 version?

Appreciate all your time. Thanks.

Most Viewed