Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2015, 18:18   #4051
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
I should mention I would have still gone ahead if a brand with online feedback was available
http://www.xbhp.com/talkies/help-me/...yone-used.html
Please check out the link above. And also please check out the link below for the youtube video on how to apply PFZ sealant so that u can get it done yourself.
Quote:
but I am curious does the bike feels different after 1 liter worth of fluid in both tires ? I have never used a sealant before but based on the description , it is priority no.1 as soon as I can find a major brand .
I dont find any difference the bike rides after the anti puncture treatment. About the corrosion concern some one mentioned earlier, I am not sure how PFZ will work on the alloys wheels.
Quote:
Ps: pity you have been driven to posting actual content price shots to be believed or otherwise face open ridicule . Keep the post coming as I find valuable information in them .
If the balls are curved, I will use a curved bat. Thats all.

Last edited by mithunvvijayan : 6th March 2015 at 18:23.
mithunvvijayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2015, 19:03   #4052
BHPian

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
http://www.xbhp.com/talkies/help-me/...yone-used.html
Please check out the link above.

If the balls are curved, I will use a curved bat. Thats all.

Nobody is trying to ridicule you mate, after all we are here to share information.
The Slime tubeless tyre sealant has a calculator on their website which suggests 8-14oz and a few duke owners here in Bangalore have used 10oz~250ml and are happy with it.

My local svc (bsk 3rd stage) quoted a 1000rs for both tyres.

I wonder how much is the right quantity of sealant required. Personally I feel 500ml is a quite a lot of fluid in a rotating tyre.

Last edited by Akhilash95 : 6th March 2015 at 19:04.
Old 6th March 2015, 20:33   #4053
Senior - BHPian

I am running my bike with the Slime since June and have raked up 13k till now. The quantity that went in was 11oz at the rear and 9 oz at the front. Had paid 1.4k and it was done at the doorstep. Since I am running on Cest Vertigo, I have limited my top speed to 120kmph. Never had any imbalance or puncture till now. There is still about another 5k life left on the tires as I write this. Will update the status regularly on this henceforth. Prior to the Ceat, the bike had stock Metz which had a lone puncture. After this filled Tyre Protector. The bike ran for about 5k on this and did not have any issues with speed and imbalance. Key to having sealants is the initial run in for a minimum of 30kms which ensures the equal smear of the sealant on the tire surface. When I replaced the tyres, the TP was seen only on the tyre and not on the alloys.
Old 6th March 2015, 20:51   #4054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhilash95 View Post
Nobody is trying to ridicule you mate, after all we are here to share information.
The Slime tubeless tyre sealant has a calculator on their website which suggests 8-14oz and a few duke owners here in Bangalore have used 10oz~250ml and are happy with it.

My local svc (bsk 3rd stage) quoted a 1000rs for both tyres.

I wonder how much is the right quantity of sealant required. Personally I feel 500ml is a quite a lot of fluid in a rotating tyre.
Thanks bro. Appreciate. I also didn't know how much to apply, so I trusted the KTM guys who seemed to know their job. I thought what's the worst that could happen, as I can always remove the sealant from the tyres. I checked out the bike forums and found out that the median cost came to around rs 1500. So I thought that the KTM service quote was reasonable. I rode the bike upto 140 kph and didn't find any issues with the tyres, yet. I really hate punctures, as it totally takes the fun out of a journey, atleast for me. I had a very bad experiencewith my jeep tyre on a pouring rainy day.
Old 8th March 2015, 20:22   #4055
Senior - BHPian

I wore the knee guard beneath the jeans, but still the tank is scratched pretty bad!! :(

Name:  ForumRunner_20150308_201900.png
Views: 1463
Size:  772.3 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20150308_201918.png
Views: 1405
Size:  867.8 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20150308_201933.png
Views: 1409
Size:  784.9 KB
Old 8th March 2015, 20:52   #4056
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

A new tank in the market is pretty cheap and can be replaced when you want to. Dont even fret about the scratches for the knee protector is far more critical.

Another option is to get some black sticker on like the one that looks like carbon fibre. They are usually good enough to not spoil the looks but functionally works as well.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2015, 21:16   #4057
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post

Another option is to get some black sticker on like the one that looks like carbon fibre. They are usually good enough to not spoil the looks but functionally works as well.
Have already ordered tank traction pads off AliExpress. Guess they should do the job.
But still, it hurts a bit to see the tank thus!

This was my first time with Knee protectors. I felt there was no grip, absolutely whatsoever, while braking. Unable to grip the tank with my knees, I was sliding about quite a lot. These marks are a result of that! Also, due to the big lump near the knee, the rear brake was a bit inaccessible.
Old 8th March 2015, 23:46   #4058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
I wore the knee guard beneath the jeans, but still the tank is scratched pretty bad!! :(

Attachment 1347804

Attachment 1347805

Attachment 1347806

Hey, I have successfully managed this scratching issue by doing 2 things. I wear a Thor sector, inside, during short trips and highways and, outside, when while going to the office. Maybe you can give it a try. Works like a charm for me on my R15.

1. Carbon fiber vinyl strips into the place where the scratch happens/contact point. INR 150-200 for 2feet X 2feet sheet on ebay. Smaller are also available.

2. Leukoplast/Adhesive tape on the portion of the knee guard that touches the tank. around INR 150 for the 5cm X 5M roll.

No scratches whatsoever now.
Old 8th March 2015, 23:48   #4059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
Have already ordered tank traction pads off AliExpress. Guess they should do the job.
But still, it hurts a bit to see the tank thus!

This was my first time with Knee protectors. I felt there was no grip, absolutely whatsoever, while braking. Unable to grip the tank with my knees, I was sliding about quite a lot. These marks are a result of that! Also, due to the big lump near the knee, the rear brake was a bit inaccessible.
Just a matter of days till you get used to it and drive as well as you did before wearing it, only safer.
Old 9th March 2015, 11:24   #4060
Senior - BHPian

Faced my first problem with the bike today.

On the 28th of last month, I had dropped the bike off at the Kasturba Road service centre to get a reseal done around the head gasket. There was a little oil sweating around the head, on the right side, where you have those two button looking rubber seals. This was a quick fix. I asked for a wash, chain adjustment and lubrication. Collected the bike in the evening. All good.

I was down with a temperature from 3rd March so did not use the bike for a week. Fired up the bike this morning to find the digital console dead. No life. Re cranked a few times and still no life. Even the console alert lights for Neutral, Turn Indication, ABS, side stand warning are dead. Headlamp, Turn Indicators work. What scared me more was no fuel priming taking place. Even with a week standing idle, the bike fired up effortlessly. Reattempts to check the fuel priming also did not result in any starting problem. That whrrrr sound isn't there for sure. I rarely use the engine kill switch to turn off the bike.

I have taken the bike to work and hope that when it is time to head back home in the evening, the problem should sort itself out. I am guessing there is some moisture build up somewhere and hope that the problem should go away with the bike standing in the sun. Any suggestions on possible problems or where to look will be helpful.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 9th March 2015 at 11:26.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2015, 13:18   #4061
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Fired up the bike this morning to find the digital console dead. No life. Re cranked a few times and still no life. Even the console alert lights for Neutral, Turn Indication, ABS, side stand warning are dead. Headlamp, Turn Indicators work. What scared me more was no fuel priming taking place. Even with a week standing idle, the bike fired up effortlessly. Reattempts to check the fuel priming also did not result in any starting problem. That whrrrr sound isn't there for sure. I rarely use the engine kill switch to turn off the bike.
Since all the electrical's are not working, I suspect a dead/faulty battery might be the culprit. I don't think there would be some serious issue other than this. If the battery is dead then, I guess you can get it replaced under warranty. The warranty for the battery was part of the service booklet itself. I not sure as to what is the warranty period for the battery.

The problem might be very easy to fix in case of a broken fuse
Old 9th March 2015, 13:24   #4062
Senior - BHPian

Keema Pav Ride - Mahabaleshwar

Three buddies met up on Saturday. Wives cooked for us instead of us ordering out. Delicious food. Talk continued to revolve around food even after dinner was done and Vadilal Choloate Chip party pack was being demolished. We got to talking of our favorite keema pav joint in Mahabaleshwar (Firoz, behind the bus stop). So we called it a night early (around 1-ish) so that we can ride to Mahabaleshwar the next morning and have a couple of plates (at least) of the lip smacking super spicy fresh and generous oil layer on top gratis keema pav before heading back.

The ride was great. Weather was nice initially (we eventually started post 8 though the plan was for a 6:30 start ....) bu hot later on. Its only begining March. Will be a hot one this year looks like. Khambatki and then later Pasarni saw the two 390s furiously dicing it out. The bike has so much power that more than once I found myself having to control the front end back down coming out of tight corners while climbing. Good fun, but cannot whack it like the 200. Got an overall 210 odd kms to the tank. Friend had a bar still remaining when mine went into reserve. its usually the same story. I just like to whack my bike a bit harder I guess.

Jst before hitting Pasarni on the climb to Panchgani, got pulled over by a moron cop who insisted on fining us for having our headlights on. He proceeded to tell us it was an ofense to have the lights on in the city when they were not required yada yada. I was too incredulous to react as I handed my license over along with my co riders, while one of us tried to reason with the cop that in these bikes the headlights always stay on (the two 390s played along when we were asked to start the bikes so that he could check and be satisfied). I started to lose my temper (it was getting hot and his intellect was challenging my sense of civility) when the cop grudgingly handed back the licnses muttering something about speed limits (now that the lights had been put out on his hopes of making a quick buck ....). What a moron.

The Ninja had a scary rear brake fail on the way back down. Its the secnd time its happening on the bike. Wonder what the deal is. Its a momentary thing. When he came gingerly back down and caught up with us, the rear brake had started catching once more. But I can imagine how confidence sapping it must be.

My bike did great. One thing I noticed for the first time was the display suddenly showing ZERO (0 kmph) momentarily before shifting back to showing the correct speed. This happened quite often so I definitely want to get it checked out. I remember reading about a similar thing somewhere else (here?) so if anyone has had something similar happening please let me know what to have checked out and what the solution eventually was.

A few photos from the ride (in the parking lot of a resort my friend was checking out for his office picnic next week) ......

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-201503080001.jpeg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-201503080002.jpeg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-201503080005.jpeg
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2015, 15:00   #4063
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Keema Pav Ride - Mahabaleshwar

Jst before hitting Pasarni on the climb to Panchgani, got pulled over by a moron cop who insisted on fining us for having our headlights on. He proceeded to tell us it was an ofense to have the lights on in the city when they were not required yada yada. I was too incredulous to react as I handed my license over along with my co riders, while one of us tried to reason with the cop that in these bikes the headlights always stay on (the two 390s played along when we were asked to start the bikes so that he could check and be satisfied). I started to lose my temper (it was getting hot and his intellect was challenging my sense of civility) when the cop grudgingly handed back the licnses muttering something about speed limits (now that the lights had been put out on his hopes of making a quick buck ....). What a moron.
doc,

Even when we ride in groups we always leave the headlights on so that its easier for us to identify our groups bikes in the RVM. It was in Kerala where we were stopped by the forest guards at the entrance of the forest and told us to switch off the lights as the wild animals could be irritated and charge at you. There was some logic in his explanation. Were you also riding in some reserve/protected forest land?
AMG_ang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2015, 15:04   #4064
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG_ang View Post
doc,

Even when we ride in groups we always leave the headlights on so that its easier for us to identify our groups bikes in the RVM. It was in Kerala where we were stopped by the forest guards at the entrance of the forest and told us to switch off the lights as the wild animals could be irritated and charge at you. There was some logic in his explanation. Were you also riding in some reserve/protected forest land?
No buddy. This was in Wai in the congested chaotic market place just at the foothills of the final climb to Panchgani. The only wild animals around were the Sunday tourist throngs all over the place,a few cows, and some stray dogs. And the cops. Being Shiv Jayanti they were out in full force. And looks like the locals have been rubbed the wrong way by unruly bikers zipping through at speed before us. My point is, do we have any rule that says you cannot have your headlights on during the day? Its one thing junta making obscene signs at you to indicate your lights are on. Quite another having a officr of the law stop you and want to fine you for it.

Last edited by ebonho : 9th March 2015 at 15:06.
Old 9th March 2015, 15:09   #4065
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG_ang View Post
It was in Kerala where we were stopped by the forest guards at the entrance of the forest and told us to switch off the lights as the wild animals could be irritated and charge at you. There was some logic in his explanation. Were you also riding in some reserve/protected forest land?
During my Bangalore-Kerala ride 2 weeks back, and during the duration of our entire ride (10 hours), we kept our headlamps on in dipper, exactly for the same reason as you mentioned.
The guards at Bandipur didn't care much and instead gave us a thumbs up! Probably they're used to see bikers on that route way too much.
While we were entering Kerala, the RTO people stopped us, but to check out our bikes and helmets and our fancy go pros! They too, wished us luck and asked us to carry on, much to our amusement!

I'm no Mowgli, but I've spent my entire childhood growing up in jungles and watching wild animals every weekend. So much so, that they've became a passion of mine. And I can tell you this - No animal will get irritated by headlamps (dipper) during DAY time. Yes, they'll certainly panic during night, but never during the day. I have seen the shiny window pane of a bus reflect on an elephant's eyes, while the passengers were clicking photos, and the elephant hardly reacted, staying in the same position, with the high intensity shine falling right on his eyes.
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed