Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2015, 15:20   #4066
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
One thing I noticed for the first time was the display suddenly showing ZERO (0 kmph) momentarily before shifting back to showing the correct speed. This happened quite often so I definitely want to get it checked out. I remember reading about a similar thing somewhere else (here?) so if anyone has had something similar happening please let me know what to have checked out and what the solution eventually was.
No fix, doc. This is too common a problem. Interestingly, the articles on 2015 model changes mention a change in speedo console logic to prevent this. The SVC guys didn't have a solution last I checked.
anilp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2015, 15:27   #4067
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Fellas, whenever I shift my gears, I notice a huge RPM drop on the console. I'm talking about the time during which you pulling the clutch lever, shifting and releasing it back.
I noticed it during 2nd-3rd, 3rd-4th and 4th-5th, that the RPM level on the console would drastically decrease by 2k-3k. There is NO major change in speed, though.

Can anyone else check and send me their figures? Or is it just something with my ride?
Old 9th March 2015, 15:35   #4068
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilp View Post
No fix, doc. This is too common a problem. Interestingly, the articles on 2015 model changes mention a change in speedo console logic to prevent this. The SVC guys didn't have a solution last I checked.
Is it something to do with the gear position indicator, as in if the gear does not slot in just perfectly, this momentary 0-real speed happens? I cannot recall if this happens only after a shift or even when cruising in-gear at a certain speed.
Old 9th March 2015, 16:02   #4069
Senior - BHPian

My friend reported seeing "hundreds" of KTMs yesterday evening, around 6pm, on the Bangalore-Mysore highway near Ramanagar, Karnataka. He said they were headed towards Bangalore.
Was there any rally ofsorts?
Old 9th March 2015, 17:32   #4070
BHPian

Quote:
Is it something to do with the gear position indicator, as in if the gear does not slot in just perfectly, this momentary 0-real speed happens? I cannot recall if this happens only after a shift or even when cruising in-gear at a certain speed.
As far As I recall, nothing short of a replacement of the console was arrived at, finally. Please check out POINT 9 in the link below. It is mentioned that the speedo logic has been changed in the 2015 model, to rectify the problem you mentioned. My speedo console also has started blinking erratically, since yesterday, After a few blinks everything turns back to normal. Since it has not yet hindered any of the functions yet, I thought I would as wll ignore it.

http://www.motorbeam.com/2015/02/bik...lipper-clutch/

Last edited by mithunvvijayan : 9th March 2015 at 17:37. Reason: Addition
Old 9th March 2015, 17:44   #4071
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
As far As I recall, nothing short of a replacement of the console was arrived at, finally. Please check out POINT 9 in the link below. It is mentioned that the speedo logic has been changed in the 2015 model, to rectify the problem you mentioned. My speedo console also has started blinking erratically, since yesterday, After a few blinks everything turns back to normal. Since it has not yet hindered any of the functions yet, I thought I would as wll ignore it.

http://www.motorbeam.com/2015/02/bik...lipper-clutch/
Ya I read the same in your earlier post. So its a known bug. Funny only this ride I noticed it.
Old 9th March 2015, 17:55   #4072
BHPian

Doc, could you tell me what is the advantage /dis advantage of a slipper clutch. Personally, I lean a lot on engine breaking, while negotiating through traffic, potholes and speed breakers. Some one at KTM mentioned that it makes the shifting a lot smoother, and avoids clunky shifts. Though it took sometime for me to perfect it, I have been avoiding the clunky shifts, following your method of up blipping before the downshifts.
Old 9th March 2015, 18:00   #4073
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
Doc, could you tell me what is the advantage /dis advantage of a slipper clutch. Personally, I lean a lot on engine breaking, while negotiating through traffic, potholes and speed breakers. Some one at KTM mentioned that it makes the shifting a lot smoother, and avoids clunky shifts. Though it took sometime for me to perfect it, I have been avoiding the clunky shifts, following your method of up blipping before the downshifts.
It basically smoothens things out for you if you want to dump a lot of gears in a hurry. So you can go into a corner faster, dump more gears than normal, and therefore be able to exit the corner much faster - becuae you are in a lower gear than you would be in with a traditional clutch.

Nothing that cannot be done with hard braking and aggressive fanning of the clutch and the shift lever. It just makes it easier - and more idiot proof.

And as a Slip and Assist clutch, it assists the clutch action as well, so that its not as hard as it is currently.

Last edited by ebonho : 9th March 2015 at 18:02.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2015, 20:02   #4074
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
My friend reported seeing "hundreds" of KTMs yesterday evening, around 6pm, on the Bangalore-Mysore highway near Ramanagar, Karnataka. He said they were headed towards Bangalore.
I was invited to a women's day rally yesterday. It could have been that or one of the usual Sunday rides.
Old 9th March 2015, 23:12   #4075
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
They were the KTM Orange Tour fellows returning from Wayanad. There were hordes of them, which is one of the reasons why I declined to participate.

Last edited by barcalad : 9th March 2015 at 23:15.
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2015, 09:21   #4076
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG_ang View Post
Since all the electrical's are not working, I suspect a dead/faulty battery might be the culprit.
The electrical system is very much working. I did mention all the lights were operational.

It is hard to say if it is a dead or about to die battery as there are no signs of this. Bike fires up easily even on repeated starting attempts.

As much as I had hoped, there was no luck in the digital console coming back to life even after the bike was left standing in the hot sun all day. This time around the fuel system did prime but the behaviour is intermittent. Its priming sometimes and then it won't and I clearly remember that for every starting attempt, the fuel system does prime. Anyways, the bike starts without any tantrums.

I got back home and did a little self investigation. Checked the fuses and did not find any blown. The order or layout of the fuses in the fuse box to what is described in the manual is not accurate. Then I popped open the headlamp assembly to check for loose wiring but its all good. I disconnected and reseated the console connector but no luck.

The service centre and a warranty claim is my only hope.
Old 10th March 2015, 10:01   #4077
BHPian

Quote:
No buddy. This was in Wai in the congested chaotic market place just at the foothills of the final climb to Panchgani. The only wild animals around were the Sunday tourist throngs all over the place,a few cows, and some stray dogs. And the cops. Being Shiv Jayanti they were out in full force. And looks like the locals have been rubbed the wrong way by unruly bikers zipping through at speed before us. My point is, do we have any rule that says you cannot have your headlights on during the day? Its one thing junta making obscene signs at you to indicate your lights are on. Quite another having a officr of the law stop you and want to fine you for it.
Agreed, there will always be a lot of people showing weird signs to turn off your headlights during the day. And as per the cops/officers they should infact encourage people to run with the head lamps on. This would definately increase the visibility of the bikes to others during not so sunny days. Nevertheless if not encourage at least they should not discourage by telling them we will fine you
Old 10th March 2015, 10:43   #4078
Distinguished - BHPian

The issue with the headlight being on during daylight hours is interesting to me.

In the USA, the Federal Department of Transportation (DOT) has mandated that all new motorcycles sold must have their headlights on at all times.
This was done in the interest of safety.
Old 10th March 2015, 10:55   #4079
BHPian

Quote:
Keema Pav Ride - Mahabaleshwar

Three buddies met up on Saturday. Wives cooked for us instead of us ordering out. Delicious food. Talk continued to revolve around food even after dinner was done and Vadilal Choloate Chip party pack was being demolished. We got to talking of our favorite keema pav joint in Mahabaleshwar (Firoz, behind the bus stop). So we called it a night early (around 1-ish) so that we can ride to Mahabaleshwar the next morning and have a couple of plates (at least) of the lip smacking super spicy fresh and generous oil layer on top gratis keema pav before heading back.

The ride was great. Weather was nice initially (we eventually started post 8 though the plan was for a 6:30 start ....) bu hot later on. Its only begining March. Will be a hot one this year looks like. Khambatki and then later Pasarni saw the two 390s furiously dicing it out. The bike has so much power that more than once I found myself having to control the front end back down coming out of tight corners while climbing. Good fun, but cannot whack it like the 200. Got an overall 210 odd kms to the tank. Friend had a bar still remaining when mine went into reserve. its usually the same story. I just like ......................

My bike did great. One thing I noticed for the first time was the display suddenly showing ZERO (0 kmph) momentarily before shifting back to showing the correct speed. This happened quite often so I definitely want to get it checked out. I remember reading about a similar thing somewhere else (here?) so if anyone has had something similar happening please let me know what to have checked out and what the solution eventually was.
Doc, i faced the similar problem and the speedometer console was changed. But the new one seems to be worse. it displays zero now more frequently. My bike is at the workshop due to this reason and also due to the front bent alloy. I have a meeting with the North Service Head tomorrow. Will keep you updated.
aditya.bhardwaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2015, 11:14   #4080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
The issue with the headlight being on during daylight hours is interesting to me.

In the USA, the Federal Department of Transportation (DOT) has mandated that all new motorcycles sold must have their headlights on at all times.
This was done in the interest of safety.
No one gives a dime about safety in this case. They just tried to find a reason to fine the guy and make some money and achieve their targets.
Next, they might fine you for wearing riding gears, you never know !
Sojogator is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed