Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2015, 14:13   #4201
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Right.

Why do you say old 390's? What is different with the one's on sale right now compared to the first batch?
The new ones (this year, 2015) have some changes to the fan control and to the radiator volume. This is from what I hear.
Old 13th April 2015, 14:22   #4202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
To be honest, the 390 in normal riding stance is not a 170 bike. Its a 145-150 bike.

Just as the 200 in normal riding stance was not a 140 bike, but a 120-125 bike.
I believe that is not even the cruising speed though
Old 13th April 2015, 14:30   #4203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan_ned View Post
I believe that is not even the cruising speed though
No, this is the outer limit of the kind of speeds you are more likely than not to see on your display in 6th when sitting up and riding hard.

I call these the effortless "norm."

More than that, you have to try. Wring the bikes out, and duck. And get the right road and traffic.

Last edited by ebonho : 13th April 2015 at 14:35.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2015, 17:27   #4204
Senior - BHPian

I know i dont want to post speed details, but the cruising speed is atleast 20-30kmph higher than a bull after which you are straining your body to be at that speed.

I guess you have to take the 650 route to cruise at a slightly higher speed without strain and gets better when you are on a 800 or a litre road bike.

The RC390 may have a slightly higher cruising speed but you ride in a completely different pose.
Old 13th April 2015, 17:35   #4205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I know i dont want to post speed details, but the cruising speed is atleast 20-30kmph higher than a bull after which you are straining your body to be at that speed.

I guess you have to take the 650 route to cruise at a slightly higher speed without strain and gets better when you are on a 800 or a litre road bike.

The RC390 may have a slightly higher cruising speed but you ride in a completely different pose.
Depends on which bike's speedo you are referring to.

A modded LB 500 claiming to be doing 125 alongside me early morning on the early empty open 4 lane grade-separator-ed old Mumbai Pune road ahead of Pimpri-Chinchwad, was actually doing between 105-110 as per the KTM display.

A stock LB 500's cruising speed would be 100-110 kmph - per the Bullet speedo.

Last edited by ebonho : 13th April 2015 at 17:37.
Old 13th April 2015, 17:50   #4206
Senior - BHPian

mmm interesting. I had a friend of mine who modded his speedo which basically showed twice the speed. It was fun to watch his boxer consistently hitting triple digit in city traffic

I wont mind that pseudo feel of speed by this mod. Imaging doing 240 in the KTM display its fun.
VW2010 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2015, 21:46   #4207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The 390 is actually a pretty horrible bike to ride in traffic like you have in Bangalore. A 200 would be so much better.

99.9% of my KTM riding is done out of the city. For the city I use my Bullet, which with its nifty little neutral lever and low rev thumping is just perfect.
Is it not feasible to ride the bike in city traffic in first and second gear? Now that the heating issues have been handled (supposedly)?

Last edited by blue_pulsar : 13th April 2015 at 21:49.
Old 13th April 2015, 21:54   #4208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Is it not feasible to ride the bike in city traffic in first and second gear? Now that the heating issues have been handled (supposedly)?
You could ride it, but definitely would not want to. Heating aside, the problem is the snatchy throttle at low RPMs. Doc is right. The 200 can perform daily commuting duties in heavy traffic much comfortably and economically
Urban_Nomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2015, 22:22   #4209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
You could ride it, but definitely would not want to. Heating aside, the problem is the snatchy throttle at low RPMs. Doc is right. The 200 can perform daily commuting duties in heavy traffic much comfortably and economically
Oh! I ask the above question since I have come across reviews on the internet which state that there is no need to downshift on the 390. The 390 could ride from very low speed to pretty high speeds in second gear itself, etc. I do see a divide in opinions that way. Anyways, I should be making a decision on my next bike pretty soon. Still at the internet research stage.
The only thing about the 200 that bothers me is the lack of ABS.
Old 13th April 2015, 23:47   #4210
BHPian

Quote:
Oh! I ask the above question since I have come across reviews on the internet which state that there is no need to downshift on the 390. The 390 could ride from very low speed to pretty high speeds in second gear itself, etc. I do see a divide in opinions that way. Anyways, I should be making a decision on my next bike pretty soon. Still at the internet research stage.
The only thing about the 200 that bothers me is the lack of ABS.
Yes. That's correct.
The gears are unbelievably short excluding 6th. The 6th can be comfortably achieved after 65 kmph, and you can take it all the way to top speed, though it'll take a lot of time and tarmac.

Downshifting is only required at corners, and in very rare cases, over-taking. Do update us with your research results.
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2015, 23:54   #4211
BHPian

Hi.

Never thought this would happen to my bike but it has. There is a bit of oil leaking from the right hand side of the engine from one of the circular rubber seals. The "0-0" looking thing

How much of a common problem is this on the 390 and how quickly can it be resolved at a SVC. Thanks.
Old 14th April 2015, 00:09   #4212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pain View Post
How much of a common problem is this on the 390 and how quickly can it be resolved at a SVC. Thanks.
Its known to happen. I faced this issue too. was resolved free of charge in around 10 mins IIRC

Has not cropped up ever since, knock on wood
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 00:15   #4213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had the same feeling with the 200 at 140. But with the 390 at 170 (all theoretical top end capabilities), you are able to stay with the bigger bikes a lot longer and a lot further.
Doc, in this scenario even the 690 (that you were eagerly waiting for, checkbook in hand) would have disappointed too, no?

IIRC, it topped out at around 190ish. I guess you would need to make some serious (read: not cheap) mods to make it cross the 200 kph barrier

Do I see a move from camp KTM in the not so distant future to something of a Jap origin, maybe clothed in a pretty fairing?

Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 11:20   #4214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The heat is not the issue. The bike is very snatchy at slow city speeds, the heavy clutch does not help, and is almost unrideable in any gear in bumper to bumper traffic without slipping the clutch. Plus unlike the 200, its a rough vibey bike at slow speed. It smoothens out, and all noises are lost in the wind, as you open up. And then it really comes into its own. The 200 on the other hand is as fun and slick and smooth to ride in both scenarios, but then gets solidly left behind compared to the 390 in sheer pull and top end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Doc, in this scenario even the 690 (that you were eagerly waiting for, checkbook in hand) would have disappointed too, no?

IIRC, it topped out at around 190ish. I guess you would need to make some serious (read: not cheap) mods to make it cross the 200 kph barrier

Do I see a move from camp KTM in the not so distant future to something of a Jap origin, maybe clothed in a pretty fairing?

Why not, if the price is right?

The 690 (or any bigger offering from KTM) is a big draw because I know they are going to offer it at a really good price. Plus parts and support and service. If Kawasaki can take KTM on and do something similar, I would pick the ZX6R over the Duke 690. But you and I both know that's castles in the air.

Most testers of the 690 are blown away not by what the 690 does as its top end (the R is closer to 200) but how it gets there and what it does while getting there. But you are right, when the roads open up, the 690 will eventually get left behind and be similarly screaming to stay with the 600 supersports, waiting for the next set of twisties, or the next fuel stop (200 kms down the road).

Last edited by ebonho : 14th April 2015 at 11:23.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 18:53   #4215
Senior - BHPian

Doc..you should check the super duke. I saw one in a testing track here in person. Just STUNNING. The machine is simply RAW and the power is delivered not smooth but like the old age non electronic carb. Its just name a super duke for a reason.

I dont mind paying for a super duke than paying for a Fz1
VW2010 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed