Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2015, 15:15   #4291
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Threadr

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
In Michelin which one would suit better? 150/60 or 140/70?
I use 150/60 whereas man_of_steel uses 140/70.

As for mine, the grip is fantastic. Around 3k kms have passed since I installed it, and it looks as good as new. The tyre performs brilliantly on gravel/sand, something which the Metz couldn't. Feels planted on high speeds as well.
Old 25th April 2015, 16:25   #4292
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
I use 150/60 whereas man_of_steel uses 140/70.

As for mine, the grip is fantastic. Around 3k kms have passed since I installed it, and it looks as good as new. The tyre performs brilliantly on gravel/sand, something which the Metz couldn't. Feels planted on high speeds as well.
Ok thanks. Going for 150/60. They are saying its slightly softer than 140. Also expensive by 600 Rs.
What tyre pressure to be maintained for this? Only rider.

Last edited by nasirkaka : 25th April 2015 at 16:30.
Old 25th April 2015, 18:09   #4293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Ok thanks. Going for 150/60. They are saying its slightly softer than 140. Also expensive by 600 Rs.
What tyre pressure to be maintained for this? Only rider.
Sounds good.

I maintain 30 for me and 31 for pillion/luggage.
Old 25th April 2015, 19:46   #4294
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Congrats Vishal! She looks smashing. Use her well.

Glad we could help a fellow motorhead. That's what Team BHP is for.

That's a great package. Amazing to see no price creep from Bajaj on this cracker of a bike for over two years now.

Always the photos you look back at and cherish the most. Both for how nice and new the vehicle looked, as well as how small the kids were.

Seems a bit similar to mine no?

Let's ride.
Thanks ! Yep, I have bought the cover as society kids are going crazy after looking at the beauty.

Bajaj is really good with price and quality as well now days. I was amazed to see everything was fitted/provided by company itself and no need to purchase crap things like number plate, sari guard etc.

I bought 2 Motul chain spares one chain cleaner and one lubrication. Now looking for paddock stand let me know if you have any reference.

Yep I have photos of all my vehicle as the time of delivery and in all stages, its very refreshing to see those captured moments.

Yep our garages have 2 identical beasts now, I am only missing Bullet and I am sure will get the CI one some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrain View Post
Congrats Thar4x4. The 390 is 1 terrific machine!
Hey thanks ! This is amazing machine, good to see one more rider from Pune.

Lets meet someday.

Last edited by Thar4x4 : 25th April 2015 at 19:48.
Old 25th April 2015, 22:04   #4295
Senior - BHPian

I finally laid my hands on the IndiMotard bash plate. All thanks to the very gracious unk9ja! He picked up the bash plate from the IndiMotard guys and brought it right across town to my house!
Thanks a ton, sir!! Much, much obliged!!

Name:  ForumRunner_20150425_215335.png
Views: 2624
Size:  924.3 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20150425_215344.png
Views: 2324
Size:  728.2 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20150425_215355.png
Views: 2373
Size:  962.8 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20150425_215403.png
Views: 2369
Size:  833.1 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20150425_215415.png
Views: 2546
Size:  811.2 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20150425_215532.png
Views: 2357
Size:  1.04 MB

I opted for the painted bash plate since my bike's a black one.

The metal finishing is good, but the painting has left many blisters and also has an over run.
The bash plate was wrapped in a flimsy plastic cover; that was all the 'packing' comprised of. Needed a more secure packing, IMO.

Name:  ForumRunner_20150425_215433.png
Views: 2287
Size:  629.9 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20150425_215511.png
Views: 2229
Size:  594.3 KB
schakravarthy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2015, 23:35   #4296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
I finally laid my hands on the IndiMotard bash plate. All thanks to the very gracious unk9ja! He picked up the bash plate from the IndiMotard guys and brought it right across town to my house!
What was the damage to the wallet?
My stock plastic engine cowl makes a racket at low rpm sometimes even after tightening it.
Does this add to the din created by the motor?

PS- heard yhat that the paint peels off as it's exposed to high temperatures.

Last edited by Akhilash95 : 25th April 2015 at 23:36.
Old 26th April 2015, 05:10   #4297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhilash95 View Post

What was the damage to the wallet?
My stock plastic engine cowl makes a racket at low rpm sometimes even after tightening it.
Does this add to the din created by the motor?

PS- heard yhat that the paint peels off as it's exposed to high temperatures.
Rs.2100/-

As for the din, have you tightened the clamps that hold the engine guard, the ones that are mounted to the engine case? You'll need to remove the engine guard and tighten the bolts. In my bike, they had turned loose and were responsible for the noise.
Old 26th April 2015, 16:50   #4298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
Why is there such a big difference in price for the metz ? Here in delhi, a pair is for 15.5k and just the rear tire is for around 9k
Its a Bangalore thing, pretty much everything is overpriced here. There is a very slight difference in tax (as always KA being higher) but that only makes a couple of hundreds difference. Petrol, Motul engine oil, chain sprays, helmets and other riding gear everything is way cheaper in Delhi.

By the way, I was curious - have you been able to ride the 390 in Delhi's insane heat. I am asking because I need to relocate and I am thinking about selling the bike before getting out of Bangalore.

Last edited by ff1609 : 26th April 2015 at 16:53.
Old 26th April 2015, 17:28   #4299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
Finally I am proud owner of KTM Duke 390 White - 2015.
Let me be the late comer to congratulate you on the buy, Thar4x4. You will never get enough of it, I bet. Ride hard and ride safe.

I hope you will be the light to some biker down the months to assist his buy. Keep your reviews coming in this forum.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2015, 21:54   #4300
BHPian

I've never really posted pics as I've always felt that my bike was a work in progress. Finally for the first time the other day I did an inventory and decided that I am really close to achieving my vision for my 390 so I decided to post this as sort of a progress report. The following are
the mods you see in the pictures:

1) Baja Designs S2 Pro LED: You should see the jaws dropping when I pass a car and they see that they got out of the way for a biker. 2150 lumens out of a 3x2" led (guaranteed by a company that is composed of former desert racers, as they say that there is no loss due to optics, heat, or loss of voltage due to distance of wiring and these put together can be a loss of upto 30% of the lumens on a cheap chinese import) I realized the power of this thing only when I was alone on the Masinagudi road at 9 in the night and with one light was pretty much set to go. I am still waiting for a power cut in Bangalore to do a video review on this little beauty as its true power can only be seen in the pitch darkness. Also this is a 5000k light which is slightly yellow in the center. This is much less harsh in terms of glare than the standard LED's which are set to 6000 or 6500K.
2) Acerbis Vision Handguards: I was literally drooling at these handguards and when a friend came down for christmas from the US I begged him to get these for me. They fortunately fit on stock (the 390 bars are welded at the end) without needing the expander and they add a
touch of class to the bike in the night. The only crib I had is the switch which came with the package didnt fit the duke handlebar at all.
3) Givi Xs 306 tanklock tankbag: I love big tankbags (before I got this I was seriously considering a 40 liter shad) and this is the only reason I didnt go with Sw motech as that was only a 20 liter and this is 25 and expandable. Fits like a dream except that you need to order the KTM tank adapter separately. Easy enough to remove from the tank ring although the Motech is a bit easier as it has an extension cord which can be pulled.
This tankbag makes life way easier than the whole mess of my earlier Rynox with all its cords.
4) Sw Motech Mirror extenders: One of those things that you think you can live without till you get them and realize what you were missing. I bought a cheap chinese pair until I realized that it was messing up my threads on the mirror mount. Then I decided to splurge on the motech model and Im definitely happy. The one thing with German engineering is youre guarateed a fit down to the mm and its started a love affair with a lot of other motech products as listed below.
5) Sw Motech Universal GPS mount: This model comes with a mount which can be mounted either on the handlebar or on the mirror. I went with the mirror as I felt that its harder for someone to steal as they would need to use a spanner to get at it. Its super convenient as I can switch between my go pro and my phone. Luckily I had a cheap Rynox phone case which fit onto the motech mount. That saved me from spending another 5k on the motech phone case (although that is water proof and the touch screen on the phone would probably work better)
7) SW Motech Try Top case and Alu rack: The most expensive mod on the bike but worth every penny spent. In the city it means I can use the duke to go to the grocery store and not have to worry about carrying a bag back. Also I dont need to lug my helmet around everywhere when I park or rely on a a cycle lock to keep my HJC safe. On the highway I can carry my puncture repair kit an other assorted tools along with my rain gear.
The downside is that to put this on I had to remove the grab rail so I can no longer use my viaterra velox bags on the bike.
8) EBC FA213 brake pads: Definitely an improvement over the OEM pads. I've been through a master cylinder change, numerous brake bleeds and on top of all that put these pads on to try to sort out the back braking. The dukes back brakes still dont inspire a whole heap of confidence but its a little better than the original situation.
9) Powertronic ECU: Enough said and discussed till the death. I feel that the city riding has improved and is not as jerky as the standard mapping. Never had the time to play around with the mapping though. Ive managed to top out at 164 on the goa highway. The only thing Im trying to figure out is that in sixth the bike does not seem to move past 9000 revs so Im not sure if this is due to the powertronic.
10) Redline plus sofa rider gel seat: This has definitely saved my bacon from a lot of hardship on longer rides like agumbe. Only issue I have with it is that the straps have worn and got loose with time so I am considering taking out the gel sheet and memory foam and getting it put on the inside of the seat once I have the time to go to Rao Seat Covers.
11) Windshield: This is the only local mod I made. What you see is an Avenger windscreen cut into half and shaped to fit the 390. Im happy with this even though its not an exact fit because Im bulky and therefore all the standard screens dont protect me enough. This screen means that Im pretty comfortable upto 130. Anything more than that is still a fight though. Along with the baja LED and handguards it has lent a bit of character to the bike though.
12) Miscellanous stuff:
a) Trail tech water proof switch - you wouldnt believe how hard it is to find a good rocker switch in this country. I had to order this off ebay and wait a while to get it, but because its completely water proof its heaven. Did have to drill a 12mm hole to get it inthe console, which on the 390 is hard to position as the gap between the instrument console and panel is really small.
b) Osram Night racer 50 bulb - Prior to buying my LED I went through the whole gamut of locally available philips and osram bulbs which all promise 100% more distance (marketing BS in my opinion) and realized that these are all aimed at cars as there is limited room to focus the duke headlight. All the other bulbs focus way too high and pretty much landed up somewhere up in the trees (which is probably why they claim more distance) and therefore are not really useful at all on a bike. This bulb is the only one which is actually made for motorcycles by Osram. Again an ebay purchase which was worth while because for city use this has a much more usable spread than the standard osram which comes as OEM.
c) Posi lock Connectors - I currently have both the smaller handguard LED's and the main LED connected to the accesory cable. I really didnt want to rely on insulation tape to keep this in place as the dukes headlight assembly is a pain to take off every time you need to access the wiring. I therefore looked around and came across the posi lock connectors (once again a big shout out to ebay). They are brilliant in the fact that all you need to do is take off a bit of wire, insert it into the connector and twist to tighten. It gave me a lot of confidence that the wiring was ok as I cant afford a burn out of any of the LED's. The only downside is there are separate connectors for each guage of wire and also if you want to split(i.e tap) the wires so getting everything down was quite expensive for such a small item.

Planned Mods:
Brembo brake pads: Need to think carefully on which compound to order because they're 50 euros a set and brembo has very different stuff for each application (road, track and off road). Will definitely like to see the difference between the OEM pads, EBC and these though.
Bash Guard: just saw the post on the indimotard one above and this has been on my hitlist for a while now as I feel the plastic OEM one wont last the distance.
Denali Sound Bomb horn: If I can get past my fear of messing with my electricals any more than I already have with the LED setup, then Im definitely going to do this one. The only problem is that it will be a thief magnet as it cant be installed anywhere hidden on the duke.
Tyres: I wish there was a decent dual sport option for the duke. On the one end sbkstore sells the heidenau scout in a perfect fit for the 390 but at 22k a tyre it requires some serious soul searching to invest that much on a tyre, then at the other end theres the ceat which does
not inspire road confidence at all.

That's all for now folks.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-20150426_152937.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-20150426_152924.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-20150426_152949.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-20150426_153101.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-20150426_153004.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-20150426_153124.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-20150426_153201.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-20150426_153229.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-20150426_153409.jpg  

bik1906 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 27th April 2015, 01:18   #4301
Senior - BHPian

@bik1906 , thats impressive set of mods.
I have a small setup non-comparable to yours. LINK. Where to source the tailbox and the rack ?

Unable to PM or email you, please enable it .

Last edited by black12rr : 27th April 2015 at 01:21.
Old 27th April 2015, 06:50   #4302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
@bik1906 , thats impressive set of mods.
I have a small setup non-comparable to yours. LINK. Where to source the tailbox and the rack ?

Unable to PM or email you, please enable it .
Not sure about the Pm's... I probably have too few posts to PM as I mainly lurk in the shadows on this forum. Anyways all the Sw motech stuff is from Sean at Big Bad Bikes, Bangalore his no is 9535688638..he does not have a website as of now but but has a facebook page, the way it works is you can go through the SW Motech site and tell him what you want an he will import it as hes the official distributor for India. The prices are comparable to the retail prices in Europe (they are expensive but as I mentioned well worth it for the german engineering).
Old 27th April 2015, 11:35   #4303
Senior - BHPian

I have a strange issue with my Speedo console.
Fuel guage is showing Full indication, inspite of only half tank of petrol. Infact since i tanked up and have ridden almost 100km, Fuel gauge bars are not coming down and remaining at full.
Few days back,when i started my D390, Speedo console showed "Low Battery" but it started. After this i rode for more than 100km and i thought that the battery would have got recharged while running. Could low battery be the culprit for fuel gauge acting funny ?
Old 27th April 2015, 13:49   #4304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
I have a strange issue with my Speedo console.
Fuel guage is showing Full indication, inspite of only half tank of petrol. Infact since i tanked up and have ridden almost 100km, Fuel gauge bars are not coming down and remaining at full.
Few days back,when i started my D390, Speedo console showed "Low Battery" but it started. After this i rode for more than 100km and i thought that the battery would have got recharged while running. Could low battery be the culprit for fuel gauge acting funny ?
I think it has more to do with the float of the fuel sensor. If your bike is cranking, then that harge is enough for the ecu and the sensors IMO
Old 27th April 2015, 15:56   #4305
BHPian

Hi,

Just wanted to check with the gang here. Where can I get Michelin Pilot R17/150/60 in Pune? Any pointers would be very helpful indeed.

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks