Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2015, 10:44   #4531
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Not in this case (ie Mithunvvijayans description). The axis round which the pegs fold is not horizontal.

Regards
Sutripta
A bike falling on its side while parked is the exact same axis as in the case of a bike being leaned into a corner by a rider while being ridden.

I do not see your point.

Cheers, Doc
Old 30th June 2015, 11:53   #4532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
A bike falling on its side while parked is the exact same axis as in the case of a bike being leaned into a corner by a rider while being ridden.

I do not see your point.

Cheers, Doc
I am not sure if the foot peg foldong failure was a bad thing for me or not. Since the bike fell on the concrete, and since the foot peg failed to fold, there were only 4 contact points that took the impact. 1) the knuckle guard 2) the crash gaurd 3) the front foot peg, 4) the rear foot peg.

On inspections, I found out there wasn't a single scratch on the body. My primary concern was with the brake pedal, but it was intact. Had the footpeg folded, the rear body would have suffered scratches.

When I set the bike upright for the first time, I actually saw the intact foot peg. Then I moved my bike to safety and started getting astride, I felt the foot peg all gone. I couldnt find it at all, since it was a pubic place, someone might have picked it up.

So in this case the foot peg inadvertently acted as a crash guard. And for those who lamented on the quality of the knuckle guard, it saved the break lever and the throttle, without cracking.
Old 30th June 2015, 11:58   #4533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
I am not sure if the foot peg foldong failure was a bad thing for me or not. Since the bike fell on the concrete, and since the foot peg failed to fold, there were only 4 contact points that took the impact. 1) the knuckle guard 2) the crash gaurd 3) the front foot peg, 4) the rear foot peg.

On inspections, I found out there wasn't a single scratch on the body. My primary concern was with the brake pedal, but it was intact. Had the footpeg folded, the rear body would have suffered scratches.

When I set the bike upright for the first time, I actually saw the intact foot peg. Then I moved my bike to safety and started getting astride, I felt the foot peg all gone. I couldnt find it at all, since it was a pubic place, someone might have picked it up.

So in this case the foot peg inadvertently acted as a crash guard. And for those who lamented on the quality of the knuckle guard, it saved the break lever and the throttle, without cracking.
In my experience, in a fall, the handle bar end, sometimes the tip of the mirror, the crash guard, and the respective side foot lever's foot extension part touch the ground.

Nothing else.
Old 30th June 2015, 12:47   #4534
BHPian

Forging costs far lesser than casting. The levers are result of that, cost cutting.
Nothing in metal is designed to break to keep the bike safe. Such casting failures are common as they are brittle by nature. You guys should look for a forged one that fits the bike and start using them instead, for safety's sake.
Old 30th June 2015, 14:46   #4535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojogator View Post
Forging costs far lesser than casting. The levers are result of that, cost cutting.
Nothing in metal is designed to break to keep the bike safe. Such casting failures are common as they are brittle by nature. You guys should look for a forged one that fits the bike and start using them instead, for safety's sake.
Yes, they are brittle by nature and that's no design feature i believe. I'm going to try a pair of fz foot pegs since a fellow bhpian said it is a straight fit. Yamaha quality must be superior.
Old 30th June 2015, 15:22   #4536
BHPian

Quote:
In my experience, in a fall, the handle bar end, sometimes the tip of the mirror, the crash guard, and the respective side foot lever's foot extension part touch the ground.

Nothing else.
Doc, you said you were carrying spares, can you tell me how much does the front foot peg cost?
Old 30th June 2015, 15:43   #4537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
Doc, you said you were carrying spares, can you tell me how much does the front foot peg cost?
I never carried pegs bro. I clarified in an earlier post. I carried the old style foot levers (brake and gear) that came off the bike when I replaced them with the new style ones. I think each lever costs around 150-200 bucks. I have stopped doing that on my 390 now.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2015, 16:29   #4538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post
Yes, they are brittle by nature and that's no design feature i believe. I'm going to try a pair of fz foot pegs since a fellow bhpian said it is a straight fit. Yamaha quality must be superior.
The ones on my R15 have served me good for 7 years with a few low slides on them and almost nothing has happened to them. I believe the FZ should have similar build as well. Great if they fit straight on.
Old 30th June 2015, 17:35   #4539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Sudipto, at your age if you have a spill, I don't think the bike will be your chief worry!

On a lighter note, you know you have an (evangelical) responsibility towards us (ie non KTM owners). It is your responsibility (and headache) to keep the bike ship shape so that WE can have fun borrowing it/ riding it, and being converted.

Regards
Sutripta
lol. Yes very true that at this age and fitness level if I have a fall, the bike's injury will be least of my worries. But the bike can fall even when parked harmlessly and that's my main worry.

You are very right that the foot pegs snap back parallel to the frame of the body. So if the pressure/force on it is in the other direction (which will be the case in a fall from stationary position) it will not snap back. It is most likely to snap back if it skids or falls while in motion.

Regarding seducing you with a test ride on my bike, I am yet to go for my first service. Clocking the kilometers rather slowly as it is not my principal ride.

After the first service you (and only you) are most welcome sir. I think you will need no convincing to be converted.

In terms of "pick up", it has a very refined and lightweight Yezdi kind of feel. I think you know what I mean.
Old 30th June 2015, 20:38   #4540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I do not see your point.

Cheers, Doc
The forward movement of the bike changes the direction of the resultant force.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
But the bike can fall even when parked harmlessly and that's my main worry.
Methinks dost worry too much.

Quote:
After the first service you (and only you) are most welcome sir. I think you will need no convincing to be converted.

In terms of "pick up", it has a very refined and lightweight Yezdi kind of feel. I think you know what I mean.
Actually have ridden the D200 long enough to form an opinion: its a hoot. Have ridden the 390 only for very short times (Very heavy clutch. Your's with a slipper clutch should be different.) Once you get past the power delivery (very difficult I know) you (well at least I) come away with the feeling that the D200 is the better engineered product.
But ownership is different from riding!
Anyway, thanks for the offer. Bankura, we'll swap bikes every 100 Km.

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by Sutripta : 30th June 2015 at 20:51.
Old 1st July 2015, 11:24   #4541
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post
It would require some filing of the top section as posted in the pic below.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_2015070127957.jpg  

mehuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2015, 11:48   #4542
BHPian

In continuation of the discussion on footpeg. It seems it is an issue, notwithstanding the brand.

From travellogue thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-davidson.html

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-23.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
One of the riders got into a little accident right outside the restaurant while trying to navigate a tricky U-turn. The bike was at a low speed and the rider got away without a scratch, but the foot rest and brake pedal broke. We then loaded the bike on a pick-up truck.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 3rd July 2015 at 11:57. Reason: Uploading image as attachment and inserting it.
Old 3rd July 2015, 11:53   #4543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyadassi View Post
In continuation of the discussion on footpeg. It seems it is an issue, notwithstanding the brand.

From travellogue thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-davidson.html
That looks horrendous. And a LOT more serious than a cast peg breaking off, as this one looks like steel tubing attached to/part of the frame surrounding the motor.

Wonder whither the much-vaunted Harley quality here? This is seriously not expected from bikes that cost many lacs to own, and which sell on the heavy metal and quality paradigm, in addition to many other non technical ones of course.

Maybe they should spend at least as much time on the quality of their base metallurgy as they do on the shiny stuff that covers it. Just saying ....

P.S. Sorry Shubz. Knowing you, am sure you would agree.

Last edited by ebonho : 3rd July 2015 at 11:56.
Old 3rd July 2015, 12:55   #4544
BHPian

Pegs falling off used to be a common phenomenon with the Bonnies and the Thruxtons as well. Not sure about the new ones though.
Old 3rd July 2015, 13:37   #4545
BHPian

So I replaced my foot rest. But what surprised me was that it cost only Rs 149/- all inclusive.

So the question is to be of low quality or not to. And how do the european customers welcome the quality to cost compromise. Or are they given better quality gears in the export models.

And I am fitting the slipper clutch in my bike. They quoted Rs 10000/- inclusive of all taxes and labour. They are sourcing a few other child parts. The major differences are the clutch assy, cluth cover and some minor child parts.
mithunvvijayan is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks