Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2015, 17:22   #4681
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Came across a very interesting sight today. At KTM SVC, Kirti Nagar.
What tire and profile is that ? Looks massive.How does he corner with such a massive one?
Old 31st July 2015, 18:37   #4682
Senior - BHPian

For those interested there are after market fuel map and exhaust available for the ktm. The powertronic mod is interesting and provides bettern mid torque curve and delivering power ahead of 7500rpm.

I think having a 3L budget for this bike will make it scream all around making the 8L plus owners feel a little powerless
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2015, 19:01   #4683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitninja View Post
What tire and profile is that ? Looks massive.How does he corner with such a massive one?
The tyre is a maxxis. Couldn't see the profile properly as it was worn out.

Apart from cornerning, I wonder how does he accelerate and feed so much fuel?
Old 31st July 2015, 19:19   #4684
Senior - BHPian

Even the swing arm has been changed to the rather "standard" one to accomodate the tyre. Why? Really ........ WHY????
Old 31st July 2015, 19:27   #4685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Why? Really ........ WHY????
Because that's the K(ardashian)TM Duke 390.
Old 2nd August 2015, 17:26   #4686
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZone View Post
I don't think anybody will be able to diagnose this issue without touching the bike and spending some time with it. However, check with fellow BHPins or other contacts you have to find the most reliable KTM service center near you. Although KTM SVCs are not known for any shady practices, it's no use to send your bike to a place where nobody has a clue what to do with it.
The issue has been diagnosed and fixed. The issue was with the spark plug, replacing fixed the issue.
sooraj.naik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2015, 12:18   #4687
Senior - BHPian

Do the Dukes also Wet Sump ???

Yesterday morning I took the covers off the 390 to clean her and give her a ride. Work pressures and travel have meant that the 390 has not been ridden for quite some time now, Doppie being used for the shorter city runs.

Well, started her up, cranked on the first try. But then I notice white smoke from the exhaust, and when I gave her some throttle to burn off any excess oil, even larger plume of white smoke.

This went on for maybe a minute or two and then cleared. I've not been able to see any white smoke from the exhaust after that.

Do the Dukes also wet sump if left standing for a period of time?

I can't see any other reason for the white smoke from the exhaust. Cause if it was an issue with the rings, the smoke would not stop.

Could it also be an issue of sticky rings, cause of the long period of inactivity?

Worried.
Old 3rd August 2015, 12:26   #4688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Do the Dukes also Wet Sump ???

Yesterday morning I took the covers off the 390 to clean her and give her a ride. Work pressures and travel have meant that the 390 has not been ridden for quite some time now, Doppie being used for the shorter city runs.

Well, started her up, cranked on the first try. But then I notice white smoke from the exhaust, and when I gave her some throttle to burn off any excess oil, even larger plume of white smoke.

This went on for maybe a minute or two and then cleared. I've not been able to see any white smoke from the exhaust after that.

Do the Dukes also wet sump if left standing for a period of time?

I can't see any other reason for the white smoke from the exhaust. Cause if it was an issue with the rings, the smoke would not stop.

Could it also be an issue of sticky rings, cause of the long period of inactivity?

Worried.
Doc,

I uncovered and started mine 3 days back after 2.5 months of inactivity. Started at the first crank, but there was no such white smoke exhaust as noted by you.

It rode well without any tantrums, the only negative being a low battery level alert which vanished as soon as I rode for a few kilometres.

Was the bike kept around a wet or moist area (due to the monsoons)?
Ride it for some kilometres more and then observe, perhaps?
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2015, 12:27   #4689
BHPian

Quote:
[u][b]

Worried.
Doc, may be it is the moisture in the system clearing off. Please check the coolant level to be double sure.
regards adrian
adrian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2015, 13:08   #4690
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Doc,

I uncovered and started mine 3 days back after 2.5 months of inactivity. Started at the first crank, but there was no such white smoke exhaust as noted by you.

It rode well without any tantrums, the only negative being a low battery level alert which vanished as soon as I rode for a few kilometres.

Was the bike kept around a wet or moist area (due to the monsoons)?
Ride it for some kilometres more and then observe, perhaps?
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Doc, may be it is the moisture in the system clearing off. Please check the coolant level to be double sure.
regards adrian
I am pretty sure this was oil smoke guys. Not vapor. And it cleared out after some running.

The bike is always in the garage (open shed), and covered with a garage cover as well.

Will check the coolant level. What's the connection?

Last edited by ebonho : 3rd August 2015 at 13:10.
Old 3rd August 2015, 13:17   #4691
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What's the connection?
Coolant mixing with oil leads to white smoke. If you have the tools and a oil pan, drain out the oil to check for traces of coolant. It is difficult to spot this through the oil port hole.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2015, 13:30   #4692
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am pretty sure this was oil smoke guys. Not vapor. And it cleared out after some running.
Was that a thick fume that lingered around for some time or did it clear off simply after exiting the exhaust?
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2015, 14:19   #4693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Coolant mixing with oil leads to white smoke. If you have the tools and a oil pan, drain out the oil to check for traces of coolant. It is difficult to spot this through the oil port hole.
How/from where does the coolant get into the oil? What is the remedy (assuming we drain the oil and detect traces)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Was that a thick fume that lingered around for some time or did it clear off simply after exiting the exhaust?
Thick white. Visible in daylight, well outside the garage. But for a minute or two or running after start, then cleared.

Last edited by ebonho : 3rd August 2015 at 14:24.
Old 3rd August 2015, 15:14   #4694
BHPian

Is it ok to smell petrol near the left side of the fuel tank, near to the radiator. I have to say that it is apparent only when I put my nose very close to the tank, but is acute. Can it be from the plastic pipe coming from the tank, which relieves the pressure(I guess). Recently there has been a drop in mileage also.
Old 3rd August 2015, 15:20   #4695
BHPian

Quote:
How/from where does the coolant get into the oil? What is the remedy (assuming we drain the oil and detect traces)?
Doc, if it is a case of coolant mixing with oil, then it is caused by a bad head gasket. You will have to replace the head gasket to get out of the problem.
regards adrian
adrian is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks