Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2015, 15:16   #4711
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
The cinnamon/nutmeg thing was some sort of exaggeration from the part of the author. But the point is whether the exhaust has the sweet smell of ethylene glycol ?
Will check. Can't exactly say for sure now.

Any idea how the service guys would go about diagnosing this? I am hating the thought of my untouched engine's head being opened and head gasket replaced. Or valves/seals.

Factory fit and workshop fit are two different things altogether. But I guess what needs to be done will have to be done.

I don't have a leak or oil mist seepage anywhere right now, unlike many 390s.

Last edited by ebonho : 4th August 2015 at 15:18.
Old 4th August 2015, 21:14   #4712
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The bike was ridden last Sunday night before being washed and put back under the covers.

Took the cover off today morning and checked the coolant level. Looked a cm or two lower than what I remember it to be always.

Started the bike and waited. After a few seconds puffs of white seen from the exhaust. Nowhere as thick as Sunday though.

Gave it throttle. White smoke increased, could be seen, again nowhere as thick as Sunday.

Went away after some time. The smoke definitely smells of burnt oil.

The exhaust is bone dry and clean. Brownish base metal. Not even black. Finger inside shows just light traces of dry black soot. Traces as in not thick/dark at all. Not wet definitely.
@Doc

all i can tell is this is normal and this was normal on a 2K run new bike. Specially after a wash. My rides during colder chennai times(who am i kidding) was exactly the same symptoms.

Unless you think its a problem, i wouldnt touch the engine yet from factory mould. Its not a bullet where i would be more than happy to open it myself and fix it back like a lego.

To me its just water vapour.

If you think its head gasket its still not blown per the indications. And its not going to trickle leak for sure. Its either blown or not blown. YOu will lose more than the few mls of coolant, you will see some bubbles when the radiator is hot indications of air leak somewhere and even visible leakage.

Check for the coolant next few days and see if you are loosing drastically. Else i am not sure if this is worth a work shop visit.

I had this symptom and the bike still did what it was meant to do Belt the roat.
Old 4th August 2015, 23:29   #4713
Distinguished - BHPian

I am just generalizing here but, if the smoke smells remotely like oil smoke, it is caused by oil, most likely seeping past the valve seals. This does not require immediate action to repair.

If the vapor cloud smells slightly sweet, it is anti-freeze and requires immediate repair to prevent damage to the engine.

If the vapor cloud has no odor and the ambient air temperature is under 7° C, it is most likely water condensation that has accumulated in the silencer and is completely normal.
Note: If the ambient air temperature is above 10°C, it is very unlikely water vapor can be seen.
ArizonaJim is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 12:14   #4714
BHPian

Hey guys. New duke 390 owner here. How much it would cost to get my chain cleaned and oiled at the ktm service centre? Ive done 550 kms so far and I read that it needs to be oiled every 500kms.
Old 5th August 2015, 13:12   #4715
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
I am just generalizing here but, if the smoke smells remotely like oil smoke, it is caused by oil, most likely seeping past the valve seals. This does not require immediate action to repair.

If the vapor cloud smells slightly sweet, it is anti-freeze and requires immediate repair to prevent damage to the engine.

If the vapor cloud has no odor and the ambient air temperature is under 7° C, it is most likely water condensation that has accumulated in the silencer and is completely normal.
Note: If the ambient air temperature is above 10°C, it is very unlikely water vapor can be seen.
Thanks man. Most helpful post (of many very helpful posts).

The honchos are suggesting marking oil and coolant levels and observing which one falls over a few hundred kilometers and only then invade the engine.

I did not think it was a good idea then, I think so less now.

P.S. The temperature is mid 20s to 30 degrees Celsius currently in Pune.

Last edited by ebonho : 5th August 2015 at 13:13.
Old 5th August 2015, 14:01   #4716
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
only then invade the engine.
e.
Doc,

Just out of curiosity, how many kms has the KTM Logged?
Old 5th August 2015, 14:08   #4717
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by punterccrx8s View Post
Hey guys. New duke 390 owner here. How much it would cost to get my chain cleaned and oiled at the ktm service centre? Ive done 550 kms so far and I read that it needs to be oiled every 500kms.
A chain lube session will cost you around 100 bucks at the authorised SVC. Getting it done at any other garage will be cheaper.

Better, buy a chain lube spray can (isn't very expensive) and do it yourself. It's way more economical and time saving.
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 14:13   #4718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Doc,

Just out of curiosity, how many kms has the KTM Logged?
Around 3.5-4000 only. Its a brand new, near unused bike.
Old 5th August 2015, 15:38   #4719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Around 3.5-4000 only. Its a brand new, near unused bike.
Surprised Doc very much. Pardon my ignorance, is this a one off issue or many Duke 390s have reported something similar even though the cause might be different?
Old 5th August 2015, 16:33   #4720
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Surprised Doc very much. Pardon my ignorance, is this a one off issue or many Duke 390s have reported something similar even though the cause might be different?
I don't know bro. Been off the grid for a bit with my cycling and work and travel. Needless to say, I do not consider smoke from the exhaust to be a normal phenomenon, not even in Bullets.
Old 5th August 2015, 16:38   #4721
BHPian

Quote:
Needless to say, I do not consider smoke from the exhaust to be a normal phenomenon, not even in Bullets.
Did you notice the smoke again? Or was it only a one time?
Old 5th August 2015, 16:42   #4722
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilp View Post
Did you notice the smoke again? Or was it only a one time?
The second time too after the first time, but less. Haven't cranked her up after that again.
Old 5th August 2015, 17:44   #4723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I do not consider smoke from the exhaust to be a normal phenomenon, not even in Bullets.
I seriously hope nothing major but from the posts I see that you are looking at the right places. Pray do keep us posted on what it is actually.
Old 5th August 2015, 18:32   #4724
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just do a DIY, cheaper and also lets you look closer at your bike for perfections or other wise.

Its a 15 min job when done well and a 30 minute job when you want to clean the front sprocket as well where the dust collects.

Even tightening the chain is a 5 minute job.

At the service centre it will be around 100 bucks not more.
Old 6th August 2015, 08:20   #4725
BHPian

Gear shifts have become exceptionally sloppy with time. It requires extra effort to push the lever into 2 from 1. Often with a loud sound. And too many false neutrals and miss shifts. With the riding boots I'm finding the need to move my feet a lot to shift gears. Is this normal ? Mine is a late 2013 model.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks