Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2015, 08:44   #4726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post
Gear shifts have become exceptionally sloppy with time. It requires extra effort to push the lever into 2 from 1.
How old is the oil? I've seen gear shift quality deteriorate rapidly post the two month mark. Rev matching usually improves it though.
anilp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 09:22   #4727
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Gear shifts have become exceptionally sloppy with time. It requires extra effort to push the lever into 2 from 1.

If you can practise and master the quick shifting technique you will hardly find this being an issue.

I hardly use clutch for upshifts and always use the quick shift technique and the way you blip and shift makes it easier for the gears to get locked into.

I have done that in my 390 as well as my now new Fz6R. Shifting is breeze if you get it perfect. The shifting has to happen between decellaration and then acceleration.

The quickshifters that come as add ons simply cuts of acceleration and fuel for a millisecond when you quick shift. This can be done without changing the acceleration or having at full acceleration.

All you have to do without the add ons is to simulate the behavior. When you move from first and usually reduce throttle, depress clutch and change gears, you have to do the reduce throttle and change gear in a synchronous motion and not even bother about clutch.

If you are not comfortable, try preparing for the gear change keeping the toes down on the lever slightly putting a very mild pressure on the gears. Depress clutch and move to second.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 11:51   #4728
BHPian

Quote:
Gear shifts have become exceptionally sloppy with time. It requires extra effort to push the lever into 2 from 1. Often with a loud sound. And too many false neutrals and miss shifts. With the riding boots I'm finding the need to move my feet a lot to shift gears.
Hey. Though I have never ridden the Duke, riding boots are indeed something that will take a bit of time to adjust to get the feel right, especially with the levers.

As for dodgy shifts, it probably just needs a bit of clutch cable adjustment. With old oil, you might hear a louder noise.
Sojogator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 11:58   #4729
BHPian

. Clutch and chain slack are the biggest contributors to dodgy shifts. In addition, on most bikes, shifting at higher (>4k) RPMs results in smoother up-shifts.
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 12:36   #4730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilp View Post
How old is the oil? I've seen gear shift quality deteriorate rapidly post the two month mark. Rev matching usually improves it though.
It's nearing the two month mark. But i don't clock more than 15 kms a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
If you can practise and master the quick shifting technique you will hardly find this being an issue.
I'll try clutchless upshifts. Currently I'm preloading the lever just before shifting. Still it's somewhat dodgy shifting from 1-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojogator View Post
Hey. Though I have never ridden the Duke, riding boots are indeed something that will take a bit of time to adjust to get the feel right, especially with the levers.

As for dodgy shifts, it probably just needs a bit of clutch cable adjustment. With old oil, you might hear a louder noise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
. Clutch and chain slack are the biggest contributors to dodgy shifts. In addition, on most bikes, shifting at higher (>4k) RPMs results in smoother up-shifts.
I'll check the clutch free play.
Old 6th August 2015, 13:20   #4731
BHPian

Quote:
I'll try clutchless upshifts. Currently I'm preloading the lever just before shifting. Still it's somewhat dodgy shifting from 1-2

1-2 is gonna be dodgy unless you shift into 2 at around 6-7k revs.
Don't bother doing any of those things to cure this.

If too much chain slack is an issue, it'll be more than audible each time you go over an undulation; incorrect/insufficient clutch play will manifest in any gear-change and not just from 1st to 2nd.

That said.. Downshifts become smoother AND safer if you match them with a blip of the throttle. Go ahead and enjoy the 45 Indian-made Austrian ponies

Cheers !

Sundar
MavericK46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 21:02   #4732
Senior - BHPian

Guys can someone direct me to a good fng in Bangalore? My friend's 390 has an unresolved oil leak and coolant leak issue. He's tried SVCs at Bangalore, as well as Mysore, yet the issue persists.

While we are at it, contacts of senior KTM guys would be much appreciated. They need to be made aware of the pathetic service meted out by their SVCs.
Old 6th August 2015, 21:19   #4733
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
good fng in Bangalore?
Whats a FNG . I seriously have no clue at this point. Can he ride to chennai? I can recommend a guy who is atleast sincere in the way he looks at problems.
Old 6th August 2015, 21:21   #4734
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Whats a FNG . I seriously have no clue at this point. Can he ride to chennai? I can recommend a guy who is atleast sincere in the way he looks at problems.
Friendly Neighbourhood Garage.

Let's rule out Bangalore/Mysore first. Chennai can be a back up option.
Thanks for the pointer.
Old 6th August 2015, 21:38   #4735
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Gear shifts have become exceptionally sloppy with time. It requires extra effort to push the lever into 2 from 1. Often with a loud sound. And too many false neutrals and miss shifts. With the riding boots I'm finding the need to move my feet a lot to shift gears. Is this normal ? Mine is a late 2013 model.
Do you face this issue with regular / non riding shoes as well?

Riding boots will involve a break in period and a learning curve. Initially; you will be robbed of any feel for your foot controls. Get ready for ABS to engage a little more often on the rear wheel too. Also, depending on the profile of your boots; you may need to adjust your shift lever for your foot to get under it with ease. Its literally an under 5 minute job. Check your manual on the "how to". Its very well explained

While you can upshift (even downshift) without your clutch (aka speedshifting); I would not recommend it for regular city riding. This works best when you are riding at a high-ish RPM (definitely above 6k for me) for it to work well. I have found that a quick jab at the clutch lever is much better for me. YMMV though

All the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojogator View Post

+1
Old 6th August 2015, 21:42   #4736
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Do you face this issue with regular / non riding shoes as well?

Riding boots will involve a break in period and a learning curve. Initially; you will be robbed of any feel for your foot controls. Get ready for ABS to engage a little more often on the rear wheel too. Also, depending on the profile of your boots; you may need to adjust your shift lever for your foot to get under it with ease. Its literally an under 5 minute job. Check your manual on the "how to". Its very well explained

While you can upshift (even downshift) without your clutch (aka speedshifting); I would not recommend it for regular city riding. This works best when you are riding at a high-ish RPM (definitely above 6k for me) for it to work well. I have found that a quick jab at the clutch lever is much better for me. YMMV though

All the best!

+1
It's been the case with regular shoes as well. It used to be slick. Boots are fine. No lack of feel or something. I have been using stiff steel toed safety shoes which i use in workshop. So not much change in shift feel. They were a bit wooden for two days. Now they are fine.

Last edited by b16h22 : 6th August 2015 at 21:46.
Old 6th August 2015, 21:56   #4737
Senior - BHPian

^^ Right. Its off to the A$$ then I guess. Maybe an oil change will do the trick

Do keep us posted on how it goes mate
Old 7th August 2015, 00:30   #4738
BHPian

Quote:
Would you mind recommending this guy to me please? I have an unresolved coolant leakage issue despite repeat visits to the Adyar SVC.
Old 7th August 2015, 08:48   #4739
BHPian

Just clocked 9000kms in a years time on my steed. And also completed my 3rd service to ensure continuation of my warranty. Total cost of service was 2340INR (Major component cost being cone set and labour charge for its fitment ~ 750INR)

I would like to get into highlight of D390 owners that my cone set gave away at just 9000kms which is very bad. Upon investigating found the issue to be frequent washing of the bike (specially pressure wash) resulted in water deposition in the lower base of the handlebar pivot point and resulted in early wearing our of the ball bearing . So just a word of caution on the same!

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20150806_094747533.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20150806_094844751.jpg
akshayhonda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 11:05   #4740
Senior - BHPian

Akshay, it looks less to do with washing (frequent or not) and more to do with saline corrosion.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks