Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2015, 07:49   #4786
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Fellow Dukers,

Recently I bought a DUKE 390 and being based in Kochi, I do have to wade through traffic every time I get out. Just had a concern regarding heating up of the engine!
I know that these Dukes have the heating up issues, but will it heat up to the last 3 bars even just after 5 mins of riding. Does the fan only kick in at that level? Although once the bar reaches that level it stays there even after prolonged riding.

I took it to the SVC next day after delivery and he said since it is a new unit, things are tight and it will get back to normal after 1st service.

Can I trust the SVC guy? Is this normal? Can you any of you please confirm whether this is normal?

Regards
Antony
antonjeeper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 10:27   #4787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonjeeper View Post
Fellow Dukers,

Recently I bought a DUKE 390 and being based in Kochi, I do have to wade through traffic every time I get out. Just had a concern regarding heating up of the engine!
I know that these Dukes have the heating up issues, but will it heat up to the last 3 bars even just after 5 mins of riding. Does the fan only kick in at that level? Although once the bar reaches that level it stays there even after prolonged riding.

I took it to the SVC next day after delivery and he said since it is a new unit, things are tight and it will get back to normal after 1st service.

Can I trust the SVC guy? Is this normal? Can you any of you please confirm whether this is normal?

Regards
Antony
Yes this is normal. Dukes function at just 2 bars below that High Coolant Temperature level. In any case, new bikes can be a bit more temperamental than older ones, so just keep riding and take it through the first service, after which you'll know for sure how well it is performing.

But yeah, heating has always been a major trouble with Dukes. They hate slow speeds.
RiderZone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 11:23   #4788
BHPian

Hey man, congrats on landing the bike ! The heating up of the engine you described is absolutely normal and isn't an issue as such. You will get used to it surely, like i have. Anyway, there's this coolant called Engine Ice i'm about to try out. It's supposedly ensures slightly lower running temps than usual so i'm curious to see if it's true.
VedderTheFixer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 12:16   #4789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VedderTheFixer View Post
Hey man, congrats on landing the bike ! The heating up of the engine you described is absolutely normal and isn't an issue as such. You will get used to it surely, like i have. Anyway, there's this coolant called Engine Ice i'm about to try out. It's supposedly ensures slightly lower running temps than usual so i'm curious to see if it's true.
The difference that Engine Ice will make will be purely academic. A member of one of the riding groups in Bangalore switched to Engine Ice and found no tangible difference.

Apparently the 2015 variants of the 390 have a shroud of some sort around the radiator fan that makes the bike easier to live with in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

Cheers !

Sundar
MavericK46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 13:14   #4790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhilash95 View Post
They are on sale on flipkart. May be they are very old stock. Got carried away by the mouthwatering price of 140section pilot street .
I guess I'll stick to the stock ratings then, but still would like to know if there'll be significant difference in their performance.
Careful with Flipkart mate. They may state Pilot Street Radial but actually they will deliver you Pilot Sporty

And about the tyre size. Stick to stock size as most of the times (I assume) you will be riding on the streets and touring. Unless you are a track junkie (use the 140) its more fun (told by a buddy who rides on track very often)
akshayhonda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 13:51   #4791
BHPian

Viaterra Raptor Tail Bag review!

Thanks to @riderzone a.k.a Akhil Kalsh from Viaterra got an opportunity to test the latest offering from Viaterra - Leaders in motorcycle luggage solutions in India (As per my assumption, knowledge and most importantly my experience)

Specifications and buy link for the bag is as follows: http://www.viaterra.in/Products/VIAT...-10248910.aspx

Initial Impression: The bag feels solid like all other viaterra products. Fit and finish is perfect and build quality is awesome. The best and highlighted feature of this tank bag is quick mounting and unmounting. It uses bungee cords (included along with the bag and are of two different lengths) to strap itself on and off on any motorcycle. The bungee cords included are the best ones I have used till date, attention to detail on the bungee is so much that the metal bungee hook comes with rubber caps to prevent the bikes body parts from getting scratched (deep and smart thinking viaterra). It comes in a hard yet flexible turtle shape and cam be expanded in more spare is needed.

The bag was tested on KTM Duke 200 & 390 (Pics used are of the Duke 200). It fits so tad perfectly that it actually looks like an integrated part of the bike itself. Comes with raincover too. The only complain I have(Can call it a suggestion actually ) towards viaterra is that the rain cover should come in a brighter high-viz color that will be of great assitance to the riders specially during rains, nights and foggy conditions.

Long Ride use and Review: The bag was used for a 950kms long ride Goa-Mahabaleshwar and back. The bag was put to use through its paces. As the ride was during the monsoon. Had to carry extra clothing to keep dry. The bag (not expanded) engulfed all the things without a sweat. And to fill up the available space the bag was stuff with more clothes and things (just to test it). The bag had to go through heavy rains, insane cornering at chorla ghat (to see if it stays stable), high speed runs (Belagaum-Kolhapur) to see it it flutters and gives up on high speeds and lastly on bad roads to see if we can finally upset the perfectly scored tail bag so far. The bag came out with flying colors. The only trouble one needs to take is figure out the firmest possible way to latch the bag on the tail and once you have done that it stays rock solid. Also the rain cover works wonderful and not a drop water seeped in.

So I sum it up giving this tailbag 5 stars. And i recommend this tailbag to riders looking out for a baggage solution that's versatile, smart and easy. Perfect for short weekend trips also can be used as baggage carriage extendor for the longest of rides (Using viaterra velox/rapide/leh saddlebags along with raptor tailbag). Any queries feel free to comment or PM.

Below are the pics for reference

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-ahpts_z6sue1mv_ypvqewhkhdueuyoaftb2mzc2dlt6.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-akn9uvfxfzgsjhhehto4zuem1up2n80lh7rqe5gvdf1.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-aifx6nks5zxm7yl8hi7mkxivzhpt1e3zutznamy90aya.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-ailifr0l0g77hozyuavosqjd8v2vupj7ypepncqnsnf.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-aj1fachwb4hmitnmhz5rlbm115x9qvnapbnsomkkkal.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-ajek0pkur5u7kxmpfosptrvswcawauz_2hu7aesx2wz.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-aluyztacoyw5ze6oxpkinnvohpu38k78ovwyyu2cqdgb.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-altrnkg5jh2tm8nkkmiyrjzepbhccdtb5363w8grtc9j.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-ankdtnjuw4zfgfvohlsnonttvtz1i9fqzywvtbxlu9.jpg
akshayhonda is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 14:37   #4792
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshayhonda View Post
Viaterra Raptor Tail Bag review!
Thank you Akshay for the detailed review. Very informative.

If possible, can you post some inside pictures of the bag? Would be really grateful if you can place a laptop inside an empty bag and click a picture.

--Anoop
Old 26th August 2015, 14:51   #4793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavericK46 View Post
The difference that Engine Ice will make will be purely academic. A member of one of the riding groups in Bangalore switched to Engine Ice and found no tangible difference.

Apparently the 2015 variants of the 390 have a shroud of some sort around the radiator fan that makes the bike easier to live with in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

Cheers !

Sundar
Is that so? Im a tad disappointed , from what friends told me it was a proper difference. About the 2015 bike, there's a plate fitted behind the radiator, facing the rider's legs. This deflects heat away from the rider. It's quite effective, i have ridden the new bike in standstill to crawling traffic and it's definitely cooler than mine. The slipper clutch is a dream too, and totally worth 3500 bucks.
Old 26th August 2015, 15:18   #4794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VedderTheFixer View Post
Is that so? Im a tad disappointed , from what friends told me it was a proper difference. About the 2015 bike, there's a plate fitted behind the radiator, facing the rider's legs. This deflects heat away from the rider. It's quite effective, i have ridden the new bike in standstill to crawling traffic and it's definitely cooler than mine. The slipper clutch is a dream too, and totally worth 3500 bucks.
Wasn't sure about the extent of this 'shroud'
But good to know that it does make some difference.

That said, you sure the slipper clutch assembly costs INR 3500?
During my last visit to the svc, I was told that it would cost 7 grand to get the new slipper clutch retrofitted.

And the person who quoted the cost is the service manager ! (Ravi at KTM Kasturba road).
Old 26th August 2015, 16:39   #4795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavericK46 View Post
Wasn't sure about the extent of this 'shroud'
But good to know that it does make some difference.

That said, you sure the slipper clutch assembly costs INR 3500?
During my last visit to the svc, I was told that it would cost 7 grand to get the new slipper clutch retrofitted.

And the person who quoted the cost is the service manager ! (Ravi at KTM Kasturba road).
Yup, it was launched at 5k here, and it's now available for 3500. Ill probably upgrade next month when the bike due for service
Old 27th August 2015, 10:32   #4796
BHPian

Guys, just a quick query here.

I happened to observe the headlamps of a few RC390s and they have this multicoloured glimmer about them when viewed from a distance. Makes you feel they're going into dipper and back to signal for something but they actually aren't. The same character is found in the headlamps of the Mahindra XUV5OO.

Any idea what bulb is this? Philips Xtreme Vision?
Old 27th August 2015, 10:48   #4797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Guys, just a quick query here.

I happened to observe the headlamps of a few RC390s and they have this multicoloured glimmer about them when viewed from a distance. Makes you feel they're going into dipper and back to signal for something but they actually aren't. The same character is found in the headlamps of the Mahindra XUV5OO.

Any idea what bulb is this? Philips Xtreme Vision?
That 'character' is from the Projector head lamps and got nothing to do with the bulb. Good old Pulsar 220 has it too.
Old 27th August 2015, 11:26   #4798
BHPian

Guys i'm suffering with the dreaded fuel lid rattle. It is incredibly loud and irritating now. I know there's a jugaad of sticking bindis or stickers under the fuel flap but is there any other, more reliable way of sorting this out?

Also, my speedometer has been going to back to 0 randomly and then jumps back to the right speed. Informed the SVC and they assured me of a free replacement under warranty. Sad part is im going to lose the 18000 km done. If anyone of you guys notices this even sporadically do let them know. Cheers!
Old 27th August 2015, 13:48   #4799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Thank you Akshay for the detailed review. Very informative.

If possible, can you post some inside pictures of the bag? Would be really grateful if you can place a laptop inside an empty bag and click a picture.

--Anoop
Thanks mate. Will do so and post a photo asap.
akshayhonda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2015, 15:18   #4800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
That 'character' is from the Projector head lamps and got nothing to do with the bulb. Good old Pulsar 220 has it too.
Well, I compared the headlamp throw of two RC390s parked far away and only one of them had that 'character'.
Guess I should consult some known RC owners on the same.

Last edited by barcalad : 27th August 2015 at 15:22.

Most Viewed