Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2015, 15:20   #4801
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by VedderTheFixer View Post
I know there's a jugaad of sticking bindis or stickers under the fuel flap but is there any other, more reliable way of sorting this out?
Paste an O-Ring on the keyhole perimeter of the fuel lid. Use strong adhesive. Make sure the O-Ring isn't too thick in size.

Mods : Kindly merge my above two posts. Thanks.
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2015, 16:39   #4802
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Well, I compared the headlamp throw of two RC390s parked far away and only one of them had that 'character'.
Guess I should consult some known RC owners on the same.
Its the effect of the projector lens and nothing to do with the bulb type
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 10:03   #4803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshayhonda View Post
Viaterra Raptor Tail Bag review!
Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Thank you Akshay for the detailed review. Very informative.

If possible, can you post some inside pictures of the bag? Would be really grateful if you can place a laptop inside an empty bag and click a picture.

--Anoop
Thanks for the review Akshay! Glad you had fun with the bag. We are working to make high-viz rain covers, and something should be out soon

Here are some photos of the bag from the inside, with laptop too. You can also buy ViaTerra laptop sleeve for both 14 and 15 inch screens.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_31162.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_3915.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-_mg_3916.jpg  

RiderZone is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2015, 11:08   #4804
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

What is the current cost of FRONT metzeler in Bangalore? i have been quoted 8800 INR. Is this good, or can i get a better deal else where.

Would also like to know from people who have opted for Michelin for the front on how does that tyre compare to the OEM? I am already running on the michelin (150 section) at the rear and for peace of mind, wanted to stick to metzs for the front.

ALso, any one using any dry wax based chain lube? a review and where to procure would be helpful. i have been switching between 3M and motul but they both spray off.
Old 3rd September 2015, 14:06   #4805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
What is the current cost of FRONT metzeler in Bangalore? i have been quoted 8800 INR. Is this good, or can i get a better deal else where.

Would also like to know from people who have opted for Michelin for the front on how does that tyre compare to the OEM? I am already running on the michelin (150 section) at the rear and for peace of mind, wanted to stick to metzs for the front.
8800 INR?
You should drag him to the consumer court for this!

A front Metz can cost a maximum of 7500 INR, IMO. I know people who have got it for much much lesser though. Sticker on the tyre itself mentions 7425 INR. Attaching a picture for the same.

I would recommend to run on a combo of Metz Front and Michelin Rear. They're the best and the most lethal combination for the Duke 390. The braking power, grip and dynamics while entering corners that the Metz will offer up front is perhaps unparalleled. As for the rear, Michelin all the way!
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-ktm390fronttyreprice.jpg  

barcalad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2015, 14:32   #4806
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
8800 INR?
You should drag him to the consumer court for this!

A front Metz can cost a maximum of 7500 INR, IMO. I know people who have got it for much much lesser though. Sticker on the tyre itself mentions 7425 INR. Attaching a picture for the same.
Thanks! will stay away from Xtorque and look at other places for the front Metz. Issue is not many places stock them around here esp when the cheaper option (mich) is readily available.
Old 3rd September 2015, 18:15   #4807
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would recommend to run on a combo of Metz Front and Michelin Rear. They're the best and the most lethal combination for the Duke 390. The braking power, grip and dynamics while entering corners that the Metz will offer up front is perhaps unparalleled. As for the rear, Michelin all the way!
Hi Barcalad,

When the Metz is factory fitted both front and rear - why do you say the combo of Metz front and Michelin rear is the best combination? If budget is not a constraint would the Metzeler remain the best at both ends?

Please explain to satisfy my curiosity

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2015, 19:15   #4808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Hi Barcalad,

When the Metz is factory fitted both front and rear - why do you say the combo of Metz front and Michelin rear is the best combination? If budget is not a constraint would the Metzeler remain the best at both ends?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
What I've heard here and elsewhere from those who have used both is that it is definitely better on gravel.

Dry grip and wet grip, per international comparos and ratings which I have read of the leading sports bike tyres, the Metzeler Sportec (the one our Dukes have) is one of the top sports bike tyres in the world.

The others in the running were Pirelli. I forget the third. Either Dunlop or maybe Bridgestone.

There was no Michelin in the top 3.

I'll try and dig that article out. It was a real good detailed technical one.

Here's a new one I just dug out .....

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/2015/0...ut-conclusion/

Last edited by ebonho : 3rd September 2015 at 19:21.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2015, 19:42   #4809
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would recommend to run on a combo of Metz Front and Michelin Rear. They're the best and the most lethal combination for the Duke 390.
Interesting choice of words!

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2015, 06:57   #4810
BHPian

It's sad that we don't have a choice between Metzeler and Michelin Pilot street.
I have done with my first rear Metzeler with 8k on the odo and the second one is getting over at 6k , this with proper tyre pressure and solo riding .
I ride on the empty well laid twisties , not slow riding and not super aggressive.

I got the rear Metzeler for 8750 form the SVC and now they are selling it for 10,500, I haven't checked the MRP .

The MRP has gone up or they are just jacking up the prices ?
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20150401_082333408xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.jpg  

slalom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2015, 10:29   #4811
BHPian

Quote:
I would recommend to run on a combo of Metz Front and Michelin Rear. They're the best and the most lethal combination for the Duke 390.
I agree, completely. Had this setup for a few thousand kilometers, in which I did a wet Malshej Ghat run. Never felt this confident, even with both Metz. Michelin is better in gravel/slush, and almost the same in dry, which for me had the effect of increasing the overall confidence in the rubber.

My Michelin 140 is now running out after some 25000 kms, which is a huge improvement over the Metz that was destroyed in some 17000. Planning to experiment with Metz front, Pirelli PSR rear. Let's see if I can source them here in Hyderabad, where everything bike related seems to be always out of stock.
RiderZone is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2015, 11:19   #4812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZone View Post

My Michelin 140 is now running out after some 25000 kms, which is a huge improvement over the Metz that was destroyed in some 17000.
17000 on rear one I am truly amazed. Mine has completed a little over 7000 kms and its on the way out.

As for Michelin. Yes, i had a chance to ride Barcalad's duke equipped with it and I was damn impressed. I just cant find any reason to not go for Michelin when its time to change the rear on mine. Grip level in sand and gravel is exceptional.
And no loss of confidence while cornering deep into the turns. I truly believe that for normal road usage/weekend rides these are a better choice.

Haven't been to track yet so I wont comment on that. One observation though, on same road after same kind of riding Metz gets twice as hot as Michelin. Thats a good thing when its comes to track I believe. On city roads thats simply burning the rubber.

Availability may be a concerns though.
mehuel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2015, 15:41   #4813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Quote:
I agree, completely. Had this setup for a few thousand kilometers, in which I did a wet Malshej Ghat run. Never felt this confident, even with both Metz. Michelin is better in gravel/slush, and almost the same in dry, which for me had the effect of increasing the overall confidence in the rubber.

My Michelin 140 is now running out after some 25000 kms, which is a huge improvement over the Metz that was destroyed in some 17000. Planning to experiment with Metz front, Pirelli PSR rear. Let's see if I can source them here in Hyderabad, where everything bike related seems to be always out of stock.
RiderZone has explained it way better than I could have.

Michelin owns the Metz in gravel/slush, which is a reasonable component of your odometer's spins. Moreover, Michelin offers more life than the Metz. It's cheaper too. It makes the rear tyre look big and appealing. On the corners however, nothing even comes close to the Metz. Tarmac behaviour of both is almost the same.

As for the front, I know people who have felt insecurities and nervousness while using the Michelin up front, particularly during approaching corners and hard braking. Hence, Metz steals the show here.

If not the Michelin, I'll probably go with the Pirelli up front. The current Metz still has some life left in it, though. 14k on the odo.

Last edited by barcalad : 4th September 2015 at 15:43.
barcalad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2015, 23:06   #4814
BHPian

Quote:
...My Michelin 140 is now running out after some 25000 kms, which is a huge improvement over the Metz that was destroyed in some 17000...
Teach us your ways master!

Seriously though, mines gone completely at 9k. It had started showing signs of replacement around the 7.5k mark actually. How do you manage to extract so much out of yours?
ashwin1224 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2015, 00:42   #4815
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Seriously though, mines gone completely at 9k.
9K seems the right mileage if you are actually using the tyre really hard. This means frequent acceleration, breaking and corner usage.

The more heat and the more work load on the tyre by race like driving definitely reduces the life of the tyres.

to get a mileage like 25000 i believe the driving style has to be far smarter and calculated than using available torque at every gears.

Will i trust tyres after 10K for situations that requires good rubber, i am not sure.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks