Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2015, 13:53   #5011
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
I forgot to add a few things. This retrofitment was done at KTM Muttam, Cochin. It was done by Mr Ranjith and team who is also the head for KTM and Kawasaki service from the dealer side. He mentioned that my bike is the first one to get this retro fitment in Kerala. I dont know about that.
He also said he can fit the same in RC 390. Any one fron Cochin or Kerala is interested to fit this clutch in RC 390 also, can contact him. He said he can fit the same in RC also. I can PM his contact No if anyone is interested.
A wise decision made there, mate. I'm sure it's going to widen the grin further on your face every-time you ride it.

Can you ask Mr. Ranjith if he has any idea whether the Delhi service centres are equipped/capable of doing the same?
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 14:48   #5012
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Good move! Please share in-depth experience once you clock in some more kms with the new assembly. Personally, i do not have any issues with clutch as such, and am also used to the engine breaking and sort of like it, but i must admit i have not had any experience with a slipper assist clutch. will try and test ride a bike with one, and take a call.
I have also not ridden a slip assisted clutch before. In this one, the engine braking is still present, but in a pleasant way. The initial bite, that causes the front suspension to compress, while shifting down suddenly, is gone. And the wheel locking in such cases is also not there. But we can use the engine braking still.
I am planning a ride along a twisty road on Saturday. Hope my work does not come in between. I will give my feedback after that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
A wise decision made there, mate. I'm sure it's going to widen the grin further on your face every-time you ride it.

Can you ask Mr. Ranjith if he has any idea whether the Delhi service centres are equipped/capable of doing the same?
I spoke to him. He said he only knows, there have been a few fitments in Bangalore.
But he assured that there is nothing complicated about the procedure. They anyways have to replace the clutch assembly in the newer bikes also, in case of a malfunction. And when he elaborated on the procedure, I also felt there isn't much of a complication. Please go ahead and get the clutch if you are convinced you need one.
mithunvvijayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 11:53   #5013
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have also not ridden a slip assisted clutch before. In this one, the engine braking is still present, but in a pleasant way. The initial bite, that causes the front suspension to compress, while shifting down suddenly, is gone. And the wheel locking in such cases is also not there. But we can use the engine braking still.
I am planning a ride along a twisty road on Saturday. Hope my work does not come in between. I will give my feedback after that.
There have been so many changes to the 390 since its initial launch in 2013. And from a little birdie, i hear that there are some drastic changes planned for the same in near future. Changes like sensor based throttle input (no accelerator cable), Upswept exhaust (no underbelly),and many such changes. I feel it may be a good ideal to sell my 2013 390 and get an updated one, when its launched and settled.
nasirkaka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 13:52   #5014
BHPian

Slipper clutch on a Winding road

So I start in the morning on my favourite road near my place, which also has a few hairpin like bends. The bike has become more fluid, in the sense, I am always in the right gear at the right time while exiting a corner. Engine braking is present, but the initial bite is lost. The other thing is how easy it is to shift to the 1st gear while encountering a freakishly large hump. The engine feels smoothened at the lowest of the rpms, which really helps me ease over potholes. A long queue of cars and trucks forms near a checkpost which moves at a snails pace. The light clutch really is a boon. While returning, as I filter through the heavy traffic near my place, I feel, the clutch is worth every penny paid.

Quote:
There have been so many changes to the 390 since its initial launch in 2013. And from a little birdie, i hear that there are some drastic changes planned for the same in near future. Changes like sensor based throttle input (no accelerator cable), Upswept exhaust (no underbelly),and many such changes. I feel it may be a good ideal to sell my 2013 390 and get an updated one, when its launched and settled.
I was planning to retrofit the quick throttle which comes with the 2015 models. If the drive by wire throttle debuts in 2016 models then I will wait for them.
mithunvvijayan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 14:32   #5015
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was planning to retrofit the quick throttle which comes with the 2015 models. If the drive by wire throttle debuts in 2016 models then I will wait for them.
Heard there are major revisions planed for some 6-7 items. Would be worthwhile to wait for them. I am sure in sometime, we will start getting more information on the same.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 02:17   #5016
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Whats a FNG . I seriously have no clue at this point. Can he ride to chennai? I can recommend a guy who is atleast sincere in the way he looks at problems.
Quote:
Service update:
Was having issue with the coolant vanishing swiftly. Could not find any traces in the oil or visible leaks. they cleaned the cooling system and filled fresh coolant.
Nasirkaka - did you manage to figure out what was causing the coolant leak?

VW - could you please send me the contact details of your Chennai contact who can take a closer look at my coolant leaking issue?
Old 4th November 2015, 12:48   #5017
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nasirkaka - did you manage to figure out what was causing the coolant leak?
Nopes! A few months back, at service station, drained all the coolant, and washed the system with warm water and refilled new coolant. It seems to be working ok. Although, the drop in level is there but not that rapid, so as to loose sleep over.
There was no visible traces in engine oil or any where else on the bike.

UPDATE:

bike is been standing at service station for the last 4 days. The issue was battery not fully charging. The battery health seems fine (tested with two other new batteries with same result). The rotor coil seems ok as on the diagnostic tool, the charge touches 14+V when revved moderately. According to Service engineer, it should not touch 14 if the rotor coil is gone. There is some kind of regulator which also seems to be OK. Still when at idle, the charge is fluctuating between 12-14. according to them, ideally it should be 14+ at idle. This morning they said it could be some earthing issue, but from how they sounded, i feel they are still not sure about the issue. :(
Also there seems to be a bit of knocking sound from the engine. have asked them to look into all these issues and hoping for the best. Missing my 390 these days when in the car, stuck at b2b traffic. And there is been no news on Versys 650 launch, almost 6 months of waiting now. sad.. :( :(
Old 4th November 2015, 13:11   #5018
BHPian

Quote:

UPDATE:

bike is been standing at service station for the last 4 days. The issue was battery not fully charging. The battery health seems fine (tested with two other new batteries with same result). The rotor coil seems ok as on the diagnostic tool, the charge touches 14+V when revved moderately. According to Service engineer, it should not touch 14 if the rotor coil is gone. There is some kind of regulator which also seems to be OK. Still when at idle, the charge is fluctuating between 12-14. according to them, ideally it should be 14+ at idle. This morning they said it could be some earthing issue, but from how they sounded, i feel they are still not sure about the issue. :(
From your description it does seem to be an earthing issue. To check this, you can just measure the voltage between the negative terminal to the earthing point. Ideally, there should be zero voltage. If there is any reading here, it means there's a grounding issue. This and this explain the issue and the secondary earthing coil resolution beautifully.

Also, earthing issues generally not only result in battery charging issues, but also uneven idling, vehicle switching off on the run, reduced performance etc.

Last edited by Added_flavor : 4th November 2015 at 13:13.
Added_flavor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 13:14   #5019
BHPian

Quote:
UPDATE:

bike is been standing at service station for the last 4 days. The issue was battery not fully charging. The battery health seems fine (tested with two other new batteries with same result). The rotor coil seems ok as on the diagnostic tool, the charge touches 14+V when revved moderately. According to Service engineer, it should not touch 14 if the rotor coil is gone. There is some kind of regulator which also seems to be OK. Still when at idle, the charge is fluctuating between 12-14. according to them, ideally it should be 14+ at idle. This morning they said it could be some earthing issue, but from how they sounded, i feel they are still not sure about the issue.
Sir,

Unless your bike is in warranty, it might be a good idea to have the bike checked by the people at Indimotard's Greasehouse near Mahadevapura.
Bhpian theexperthand had visited the place to get some minor work done on his Duke 200 and he was very impressed with the quality of work and their expertise in general.

My 390's warranty expired on the 15th of Oct and I intend to take The Duchess to the Greasehouse for her next service.

Cheers !

Sundar

Last edited by MavericK46 : 4th November 2015 at 13:15. Reason: Typograficak errours...
Old 4th November 2015, 14:43   #5020
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, earthing issues generally not only result in battery charging issues, but also uneven idling, vehicle switching off on the run, reduced performance etc.
Bang on!! These are the exact symptoms i have been experiencing after my last service. (i remember posting my thoughts here as well, a few pages back). looks like during the last service, something is gone wrong with electricals resulting in all these issues. will call up the service engineer and relate your thought to him. thanks.

Quote:
Unless your bike is in warranty, it might be a good idea to have the bike checked by the people at Indimotard's Greasehouse near Mahadevapura.
Bhpian theexperthand had visited the place to get some minor work done on his Duke 200 and he was very impressed with the quality of work and their expertise in general.
I know Prashant, Ram, indimotard and greasehouse gang well for a while now. Thats where i have done all my experiments with TM 32 and many others on my ex-C5. They have a fleet of D200 which they rent-out, and carry out all the service and maintenance on these bikes. I guess they will be good for usual service of 200 and 390 but if there is some more work, it will be an issue esp with sourcing parts, etc from the market. This is not what i am saying, but they only suggested. Also, they are usually good and well versed with Bullets and other classics + imports mainly from performance point and custom work. Will check with them as well anyhow.
Old 4th November 2015, 17:06   #5021
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Nasirkaka,

Hope you are doing good. I am planning to buy the duke 390 in the coming month. Going by your post maybe I need to delay my purchase.
I can wait for a few months(Only buying for weekend trips). I don't want to buy a bike which is going to get updated soon. What will you suggest.

Other members suggestions also welcome.

Cheers
Old 5th November 2015, 13:49   #5022
BHPian

Quote:
Reading this has tempted me too into thinking on the same lines! I feel a newer exhaust will change the exhaust note drastically, and that would be a welcome change. Sensor based throttle input sounds pretty good as well. Almost like "Fly by wire"
Old 8th November 2015, 18:28   #5023
BHPian

Seen at the KTM Service Center by a friend today. Note the extremely low handlebar. The rear tyre is a Maxxis Supermaxx. A decent job.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20151108wa0011.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20151108wa0017.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20151108wa0012.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20151108wa0013.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20151108wa0014.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20151108wa0015.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20151108wa0016.jpg  

Last edited by barcalad : 8th November 2015 at 18:31.
Old 9th November 2015, 11:06   #5024
BHPian

I happened to get a chance to ride a friend's Duke 390. And boy, what an experience! Nothing like I have ever ridden before. A total of about 100 KM in all to Kolar and back. It was just a weekend early morning ride that happened impromptu.
This was the first time I am riding a Duke 390.
My take-away on the bike:-
- Amazing pick-up and speed. Being a pillion rider for about half the way, I found I had to hold on to my friend for to avoid being thrown back.
- Stability was top notch. Even at speeds(within limits), the bike was very stable.
- No vibrations even at speed
- Need proper gear to ride this thing. My helmet was found wanting. Had tough time holding it while riding pillion. Even more tough without proper gear while riding.
- Isn't ideally suited for pillion riders.
- Brakes have bite

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-duke.jpg

Would I buy it?
No. This is a bike meant for riding fast. And personally, I am not a person who can sustain high speeds on a bike. Makes me tired. Riding 10 minutes gave me a head-ache(maybe due to improper head gear).

Last edited by aneezan : 9th November 2015 at 11:09.
Old 9th November 2015, 11:07   #5025
sps
BHPian

Any recommendations on a good exhaust for duke 390. I don't want it to be too loud. But loud enough for the autos and pedestrians to get note of. Currently it is very silent, even though the exhaust note is too sweet at high revvs on highways.
found out two options, IXIL l3x hyperlow and the GPR. Has anyone here used either of these. Any first hand experience will really be helpful

IXIL link
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/ixil...low/1288126565

GPR link
https://www.gpr-motorcycle-exhausts....---inc-dot-cat

Most Viewed