Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2015, 23:27   #5131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Yes.

If your bike is under warranty (normal or extended), get the coil replaced as well as the speedo console.

I'm surprised at the high number of stator coil issues people are facing, especially in the past 1 month. It's been abnormal. Maybe it has a winter connection!

Unfortunately it's not under warranty. So getting it replaced without finding the real culprit will not be a viable solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Get your battery checked using a multimeter bud. Literally a 10 second job.

Speedo turning zero intermittently at speed could be a fault with the meter itself like many here have reported. I too got mine changed under warranty and lost all the 13,500 odd kms I had clocked on mine

I'll be checking the battery voltage tomorrow. I'm not sure if the battery can wrong in just two years.
I'm very concerned because getting stranded in the middle of the road is not good. If stator coil turns out to be the weak link it'll be a waiting game for sourcing the part for older 2013 model as other fellow riders have found out. I'm guessing my luck is running out. Bike was just back from the SVC last week after a 'highly skilled' tyre fitter managed to bend my rear abs sensor ring.
b16h22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 21:17   #5132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Excellent stuff right there, mate.

The Xtreme Vision has created a 10-15% change in visibility and spread. I wouldn't say I'm overjoyed by it. Compared it with a friend's stock Osrams last night and the Philips surely had more punch to it.

I initially wanted to go for the aux lamp setup, but I'm deferring that plan as I already have a dual horn setup and the hazard system, and I feel tampering too much with the electricals too much might just come back to haunt me later on. Moreover, since the bike was parked stationary all these days while I recovered, the SVC guy told me that the battery was not responding well and was at the 'low' level. No 'low battery' messages or auto dimming as of now. Fingers crossed! So, riding it as much as I can as of now!
I also thought about the battery. But then I decided to go ahead with it anyway. Here it almost rained everyday in the night, when these auxs were really handy. I thought, even if my battery life cycle gets reduced, I would happily use it to avoid those prefectly camouflaged potholes
mithunvvijayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 23:26   #5133
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Service intervals

Can someone confirm if the time gap between services has changed from the original 4 months. I know that its now 7500 kms as opposed to the original 5000, but cannot recollect if the time gap too had changed. Thanks!

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 18th December 2015 at 23:45.
Old 20th December 2015, 07:24   #5134
Senior - BHPian

Update on the master cylinder replacement job: avoid leaving the bike overnight at X-torque.

Got the brake master cylinder on my Duke 390 upgraded to 13mm at X-torque.

The job was done well, or so I thought.

Had to leave the bike for 3-4 days. When I took delivery, petrol was low (was almost full when I have it). Got it filled, rode home from Whitefield. Tank was empty! But no dripping on my floor. The constant petrol smell when I riding made look at the bike and to my horror, saw petrol basically falling in a stream on to the engine block & exhaust.

The coolant level had also dropped.

Took it in to KTM Kasturba Road. Turns out that the petrol line was damaged & the radiator punctured.

Had to shell out 4k to get it fixed.

The bike was reasonably fine before I gave it in for service (only done 6k Kms in 2 years). I am certain that mishandling at X-torque is the cause for the fuel line & radiator issues. While people are knowledgeable, I think the actual mechanics are quite crude and only of the standard neighborhood garage variety.

Even otherwise, they need to up their service game. They say that they will send receipt by email but I have not got anything until now. (even updated the email id when I did the brake work). Charged me for general service but the bike was not even washed.

Be careful - try not to leave your bike out of sight at X-torque.
Old 21st December 2015, 17:35   #5135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Update on the master cylinder replacement job: avoid leaving the bike overnight at X-torque.
Be careful - try not to leave your bike out of sight at X-torque.
Very sorry for the ordeal you had to go through. It was on me recommending the x troque a few pages back, you had taken the bike over there, I think.

Shot a comment on the Kriegers facebook page with your words as lot of people have complimented the x torque over there. And to my surprise Badrinarayan, who is managing the x torque had replied telling that the issue has been resolved with you personally. Is this true.

Following are his words
Hi, we are seeing this and your friends issue has already been addressed with him personally. As for your your issue of the wash, it might have been a oversight, but nothing stopped you as a client to inform our staff about this while taking the motorcycle, considering that we are probably the most organised set up in the Indian premium after market space. Having said this, I would also urge that some of this is also discussed with the team as in a KTM, the following do not have connections, viz fuel line, master cylinder and a radiator. If there are specific issues you wish to discuss please feel free to call on our phones or even my phone at 96xxxxxxxx.

But the damage is done and is irreversible come what the service provider may say. Apologies from my side for your ordeal and I would never recommend these people to anyone in future.
unk9ja is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2015, 18:01   #5136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Following are his words
Hi, we are seeing this and your friends issue has already been addressed with him personally. As for your your issue of the wash, it might have been a oversight, but nothing stopped you as a client to inform our staff about this while taking the motorcycle, considering that we are probably the most organised set up in the Indian premium after market space. Having said this, I would also urge that some of this is also discussed with the team as in a KTM, the following do not have connections, viz fuel line, master cylinder and a radiator. If there are specific issues you wish to discuss please feel free to call on our phones or even my phone at 96xxxxxxxx.
The response is defensive, arrogant and borderline offensive

This self proclaimed "most organized set up in Indian premium after market space" is trying to completely mislead here. So what if the fuel line, master cylinder and radiator are not linked? When the bike arrived at your "most premium garage in the Indian aftermarket space", all of the above were in working order. When the gentleman took his bike out of the "most premium garage in the Indian aftermarket space" and rode it straight to a KTM SVC, the parts were found damaged

The buffoons you have hired for your "most premium garage in the Indian aftermarket space" have messed up. How? I dont know, they are buffoons. Who knows what buffons do anyway?

If it were my "most premium garage in the Indian aftermarket space", I would have been worried SICK about the gentleman who rode back with fuel pouring over a hot engine an exhaust. But the owner of the "most premium garage in the Indian aftermarket space" has the gall to just say - "Its resolved". Not a word of apology? Moron!!

And a good indicator of how good this "most premium garage in the Indian aftermarket space" really is, you missed to even wash the bike. The reason he may not have brought it to your useless staff is maybe becase Sridhu is not the kind of person who enjoys confrontation, or just did not care of the dust on his bike when he left it with you, thinking the bigger job" has been done well. In fact, I dont think he even raised the issue of the missing fuel with you.

How does this absolve you of the miss? Why would you respond with "he could have told us" and not with "apologies for the miss. Will be happy to give his bike a couple of free washes whenever he comes in"?

If you are reading.... owner of "most premium garage in the Indian aftermarket space" - my Ass is more premium than your set up

And I mean my Gurgaon service center
Urban_Nomad is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st December 2015, 18:33   #5137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But the damage is done and is irreversible come what the service provider may say. Apologies from my side for your ordeal and I would never recommend these people to anyone in future.
MR Badri, thats what you should have done not the person who recommended you to do. You are losing trust from two people and the most powerful weapon on sales and service, the word of mouth.

Your response even if remotely had some compassion or even an apology would have definitely taken your X-Torque to a different level. You would have simply said, we will investigate, apologize for the difficulties and provide max support to get this corrected would have avoided the apology above.

Yes its arrogant and rude the way you responded as if its none of your problem and you mind your own business. And yes i am judging you.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2015, 21:31   #5138
Senior - BHPian

I had decided to drop the matter as my time is better spent elsewhere. I was also very sure that the response would be defensive and along the lines of "It was fine when you took it".

But since there has been a public response, I think I need to set the record straight here.

A person called Ganesh called up and told me a lot of things along the lines of:

• We only did the brakes. THere was no reason to touch the fuel line
  • Please take down your post
  • Manju (the mechanic) is KTM certified
  • A stone can puncture the radiator

Basically, along the expected lines. Not a word of apology. He was only interested in getting me to take down the post.

Quote:

Shot a comment on the Kriegers facebook page with your words as lot of people have complimented the x torque over there. And to my surprise Badrinarayan, who is managing the x torque had replied telling that the issue has been resolved with you personally. Is this true.
If by "resolved" Badri is saying that he has closed the issue, then yes, it is resolved. Am I happy? Was I offered an apology? Was there any attempt to find a mutually acceptable solution? All these will have to be answered with a resounding "No".

Quote:
Following are his words
I find this comment silly. All I am saying is that I gave perfectly good bike with slightly weak front brakes & received a bike with better front brakes, a leaking fuel line & radiator. Saying "I could not have done it because I should not have done it" is school-boyish, at best.

I know for sure that fuel line was messed up there - the fuel was close to full when I gave it in & about 3/4 empty when I picked it up. There was a constant smell of petrol. I have the fuel bills too.

The radiator is a bit more circumstantial - no coolant on my floor before. Coolant dripping after I received the bike. I only rode from X-torque to near Renault Whitefield & back to HSR. Unlikely that anything happened on the road.

I would not like to comment or concur on the epithets "Most organized" and "premium". Neither quality was on display.

BTW, I did tell the lady there that the bike was not cleaned. She said "Next time, maybe". Was in a hurry & hence left.

Please be aware, this is not any courtesy thing - they charged me Rs 300 separately for general service. They said that they will "tighten every bolt to the correct torque". Maybe the service guy torqued the fuel line & tried to tighten the radiator fins with a screwdriver!

Quote:
Apologies from my side for your ordeal and I would never recommend these people to anyone in future.
No apologies necessary, Unk9ja. By no stretch of imagination is it your fault or responsibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
The response is defensive, arrogant and borderline offensive

If it were my "most premium garage in the Indian aftermarket space", I would have been worried SICK about the gentleman who rode back with fuel pouring over a hot engine an exhaust. But the owner of the "most premium garage in the Indian aftermarket space" has the gall to just say - "Its resolved". Not a word of apology? Moron!!

And a good indicator of how good this "most premium garage in the Indian aftermarket space" really is, you missed to even wash the bike. The reason he may not have brought it to your useless staff is maybe becase Sridhu is not the kind of person who enjoys confrontation, or just did not care of the dust on his bike when he left it with you, thinking the bigger job" has been done well. In fact, I dont think he even raised the issue of the missing fuel with you.

How does this absolve you of the miss? Why would you respond with "he could have told us" and not with "apologies for the miss. Will be happy to give his bike a couple of free washes whenever he comes in"?

If you are reading.... owner of "most premium garage in the Indian aftermarket space" - my Ass is more premium than your set up

And I mean my Gurgaon service center
I do think they are being unnecessarily rude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
MR Badri, thats what you should have done not the person who recommended you to do. You are losing trust from two people and the most powerful weapon on sales and service, the word of mouth.

Your response even if remotely had some compassion or even an apology would have definitely taken your X-Torque to a different level. You would have simply said, we will investigate, apologize for the difficulties and provide max support to get this corrected would have avoided the apology above.
That, VW2010, would have been the correct way to handle the issue. I agree with you there.
sridhu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st December 2015, 23:52   #5139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post

I know for sure that fuel line was messed up there - the fuel was close to full when I gave it in & about 3/4 empty when I picked it up. There was a constant smell of petrol. I have the fuel bills too.

The radiator is a bit more circumstantial - no coolant on my floor before. Coolant dripping after I received the bike. I only rode from X-torque to near Renault Whitefield & back to HSR. Unlikely that anything happened on the road.
Sorry to hear about your ordeal, man. Hope that you have replaced/repaired all the damaged parts, and your bike is as good as it was.

There is no need to defend yourself bro; most of us here have had similar bad experiences with these kind of self proclaimed experts. Even though these people have all kinds of tools and rigs, they don't have well outlined procedures for various service jobs; let alone any well developed customer care culture, like the OEM service centers. I would have done the same thing- mentioning your disappointment, but not expecting any decent treatment.
Old 22nd December 2015, 01:47   #5140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even though these people have all kinds of tools and rigs, they don't have well outlined procedures for various service jobs; let alone any well developed customer care culture, like the OEM service centers
Sorry to bring the bullet here, but one thing that taught me about service and maintenance is to sit next to the service engineer. And in bullet i didnt do more than 1 service at RE and the rest of 10 years have been with my own machine god.

I have always sat next to the bike and in fact have had more grease on my hands than some mechanics there.

Same was the case with KTM 390. They can ask me to stay outside, i politely refuse and actually sit next to the bike.

If they have safety concerns i usually offer them to sign a waiver of the centre of any injuries. But luckily the selayur service center in Tambaram has a very good mechanic who can understand what you want and let you watch the repair and even ask you for some suggestions before knocking something out.

Quote:
We only did the brakes. THere was no reason to touch the fuel line
Please take down your post
Manju (the mechanic) is KTM certified
A stone can puncture the radiator
And tell them we dont take posts down. If they have doubts just point them to thread on Skoda few years back which was active even few months back before there was light at the end of that LONG tunnel.

X-Torque - The more i hear in this thread the more you are getting your negative feedback growing. And you and i know its not too late to fix your incompetence in both service and customer service.

Last edited by VW2010 : 22nd December 2015 at 01:49.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2015, 11:48   #5141
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
X-Torque - The more i hear in this thread the more you are getting your negative feedback growing. And you and i know its not too late to fix your incompetence in both service and customer service.
I have not had any real interaction with X Torque, but had gone there once to enquire about Michelin rear tyre. The price they quoted was much higher then Tyre Empire, where i eventually bought from. So yeah, they do charge a premium.
Old 22nd December 2015, 22:58   #5142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I wish that they hear us and mend their ways. But they never need to. After all there are always some unsuspecting gentlemen who fall right into their trap.
Old 28th December 2015, 12:31   #5143
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

The Infamous speedo showing 0 surfaces again.

This time, it mostly shown at higher speeds especially when accelerating, that too once in a while. Could this mean batterys end of life, as while accelerating, it needs to provide current to the plug at much faster rate, which its failing to do so?
Earlier two instances of speedo showing zero, but at slower speeds. (reverse of current situation):
FIRST: problem with the rotor coil, failing to keep up the charge.
SECOND: No pukka reason found but was related to earthing issues leading to loss of charge, at lower speeds.

Its been a few months, and now the issue surfaces again, but only at higher revs. What could be the probable issue here?
Old 28th December 2015, 14:17   #5144

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
The Infamous speedo showing 0 surfaces again.

This time, it mostly shown at higher speeds especially when accelerating, that too once in a while. Could this mean batterys end of life, as while accelerating, it needs to provide current to the plug at much faster rate, which its failing to do so?
Earlier two instances of speedo showing zero, but at slower speeds. (reverse of current situation):
FIRST: problem with the rotor coil, failing to keep up the charge.
SECOND: No pukka reason found but was related to earthing issues leading to loss of charge, at lower speeds.

Its been a few months, and now the issue surfaces again, but only at higher revs. What could be the probable issue here?
Hye,

@hillram, faced this problem as well, and so have I on the Duke 200. The speedo showing 0 intermittently, battery low sign showing up, sometimes after a long ride and sometimes right in the beginning. Eventually lead to the buying dying on me in traffic. Luckily I was very close to me SVC and pushed the bike in just before they shut.

Your first diagnosis is correct, it was a coil problem, and the battery was not getting charged. Whole unit was replaced. I don't remember the exact amount due to getting a service and a few other bits and bobs changed as well since the bike was at the SVC, but was around Rs. 1000.
Lenov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2015, 17:23   #5145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
What could be the probable issue here?
- Check battery via multimeter. Replace if charge found imadequate
- Take the bike straight to KTM SVC and ask them to hook it up to their diagnostic thingy. Any errors, including stator coil issue should pop up on there
- Even if the error reading for stator coil is negative, ask them for a physical inspection. This will take time (or so I am told)
- If all the above is OK, there's a fault with the speedo. To be replaced. Is your bike still under warranty?

I have had the meter changed under warranty at just over 13,500 kms on account of the intermittent 0 issue. Thats a thing of the past now The battery low message does pop up on my bike every day prior to start up. Got the battery checked, all is OK there. Got the diagnostic hooked up a few weeks ago, all clear there

I will be getting the bike serviced soon and will demand a physical inspection of the stator coil and have it replaced under warranty if signs of wear are found. Will post the outcome here
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks