Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2016, 18:34   #5371
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Update on the Ceat Vertigo Sport on my D390

So, finally after 21k kms on the knobbies, I faced the first slow puncture a couple of days before. Rode for the bike with air top ups. Finally decided to go back to the Metz which I had preserved in my home. With these, the beast now feels more flickable and planted compared to the Vertigo which incidentally was on its last breath.

To sum up the 21k on the VS, it was fun and all in wet and off road conditions. A small compromise in the tarmac, which off late has turned into goosebumps and adrenaline rush as the bike would simply slide out during cornering or on that pile of leaves which have been dotting the Lalbagh road off late. I remember an instance last week where I was sidewards completely having a wide grin on my face and a horror on the bike next to me. Priceless moments. I never felt the braking inferior to Metz or the top end which is 120ish that I hit normally during my rides. When the tyre was removed today, the rear tyre protector had all dried up and was sticking to the surface while the front one had it as it was pumped in about 21 months ago.

The final verdict is "If I can lay my hands on another set of VS, I will buy them blindly."
unk9ja is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th March 2016, 19:13   #5372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post
Three of my friends and me are experiencing the same issue. Two of them replaced the stator coil, speedo unit and wiring harness under warranty and the issue still persists. SVC is cluless.
I'm out of warranty and i've decided to run it as it is till it breaks. It's a random issue which only crops up in the middle of long rides and sometimes it goes away after a few minutes.
This is precisely what I'm afraid of. And yes it really is pretty random. On a ride on last Sunday this was happening like once in 20 minutes. Yet after that I haven't faced this again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
one is odo going zero especially when the bike is slow moving/low rpm. This could be related to spoilt stator coil, which is not charging the battery enough. rev-up the bike and odo resumes normalcy.next.
In my case it just happens rather randomly even at speeds upwards of 100kmph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
It is upto the SVC. A friend got the replacement done foc, despite his bike being well out of warranty. It was done as a goodwill gesture.
That's lucky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
It can. Also, keep in mind that once you change the speedometer, your odometer reading will go to zero, as it has happened with bhpian Urban_Nomad.
That's odd! I thought the odo counts etc would be maintained in the ECU.

Since the problem is very rare, I am currently going to ignore it. It happens very infrequently, and usually goes away on it's own.
If it becomes persistent I'll give it a check.
Old 29th March 2016, 23:52   #5373
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Couple of more issues with the 390. last service, both the brake pads were changed. Now the bite is slightly improved but for the front i have to really pull the lever a lot - almost to a point where the lever is just a few mm away from the throttle grip. Is there a way to reduce this travel, and set is such that the brakes work with slight pull of the lever. Rear brakes are fine.
Does the lever feel "squishy"? It should feel very precise and solid when the brake pads start to squeeze the disk.

If it does, IMO, during the process of changing your brake pads the mechanic allowed some air to get into your front brake system.

Even the smallest bubble of air in the hydraulic system will cause the brake lever to need to be moved much further than it should.

As I've mentioned before, bleeding the air out of a anti-lock brake system is a time consuming job that may require bleeding multiple times before all of the air is removed.

I suggest you return the motorcycle to the mechanic. Explain how the lever must be moved much further than it did prior to the brake pad replacement and you suspect there is air in the hydraulic system.

If he is a good mechanic he should be able to fix the problem. If he is not a good mechanic it may require you to take the motorcycle to a person who knows what he's doing.
Old 30th March 2016, 11:22   #5374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does the lever feel "squishy"? It should feel very precise and solid when the brake pads start to squeeze the disk.

If it does, IMO, during the process of changing your brake pads the mechanic allowed some air to get into your front brake system.

Even the smallest bubble of air in the hydraulic system will cause the brake lever to need to be moved much further than it should.

As I've mentioned before, bleeding the air out of a anti-lock brake system is a time consuming job that may require bleeding multiple times before all of the air is removed.

I suggest you return the motorcycle to the mechanic. Explain how the lever must be moved much further than it did prior to the brake pad replacement and you suspect there is air in the hydraulic system
Infact taking cues from your earlier post on proper bleeding, i had informed the technician to take proper care while changing the brake oil.
Yes, the lever actuation feel is bit squishy. If i can compare to my just a month old versys: on versys the brakes feel very precise and the bite is instantly felt with small displacement of the lever, and if i remember correctly, this is how it was on the 390, when new. Now the difference is very noticeable. Will take the bike to another garage and will get the brake oil replaced while i am there. Lets see.

Quote:
I'm still looking for the lengthier cable. Regarding ergo, i think this 1 inch raiser has relieved lot of pressure on my hands while riding. Its more relaxed now, almost upright seating position. You can have a look at my bike and decide. You got PM.
Checked with greasehouse and they have bar raisers for 390 in stock. They also said it will not foul with the cables. May visit them this weekend and give the bar raisers a shot. Hoping it does not create issues with cable length.

Last edited by nasirkaka : 30th March 2016 at 11:30.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2016, 11:29   #5375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Where did you get the windshield? Details like price etc will be very helpful.

Apart from that I'm facing a new issue with my console. The avg speed and time is supposed to reset to 0 if the bike remains switched off for more than 60 mins. Sometimes it resets to 0 even after 15 min break.

Looks like the consoles are prone to issues.
I got it from royalmotorcycles.in . Price was close to 3.5k. I recently saw a duke 390 with mra windshield and it looked pretty decent to me. Mra windscreen was much taller than mine and it should provide better protection against wind.Maybe you can just check that out too

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
I was thinking of trading my Duke 390 for a RC 390).
Im very sure Rc would suprise you with much greater levels of handling and those awesome projectors etc. You would be very happy with the choice.
nitninja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2016, 14:27   #5376
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Update on the Ceat Vertigo Sport on my D390

So, finally after 21k kms on the knobbies, I faced the first slow puncture a couple of days before. Rode for the bike with air top ups. Finally decided to go back to the Metz which I had preserved in my home. With these, the beast now feels more flickable and planted compared to the Vertigo which incidentally was on its last breath.

To sum up the 21k on the VS, it was fun and all in wet and off road conditions. A small compromise in the tarmac, which off late has turned into goosebumps and adrenaline rush as the bike would simply slide out during cornering or on that pile of leaves which have been dotting the Lalbagh road off late. I remember an instance last week where I was sidewards completely having a wide grin on my face and a horror on the bike next to me. Priceless moments. I never felt the braking inferior to Metz or the top end which is 120ish that I hit normally during my rides. When the tyre was removed today, the rear tyre protector had all dried up and was sticking to the surface while the front one had it as it was pumped in about 21 months ago.

The final verdict is "If I can lay my hands on another set of VS, I will buy them blindly."
How is the grip in the wet and dry? Does it hold the line during braking?
Old 30th March 2016, 14:57   #5377
BHPian

Hi,

Facing a weird issue with the D390, the speedo goes haywire when the lights are on, else its fine.

ABS light has been on continuously since the above problem creeped up.

Getting my electricals check up tomorrow. I have 4500km trip starting saturday and this was not what I ordered.
Old 30th March 2016, 15:33   #5378
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone here wants to adventurize their 390 to manic proportions, look no further than this http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3942379
Old 30th March 2016, 16:28   #5379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Anyone here wants to adventurize their 390 to manic proportions, look no further than this http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3942379
I rode a colleague's D390 which has the IXIL silencer. Something like this.
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-9ac968da543582cef73c92d61d8f9a57.jpg

The extra attachment throws the bike balance totally out and the bike pulls towards the right. That is one the reasons why I want to stay as close to stock as possible, atleast on the bike geometry and suspension front.
Old 30th March 2016, 16:46   #5380
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post

The extra attachment throws the bike balance totally out and the bike pulls towards the right. That is one the reasons why I want to stay as close to stock as possible, atleast on the bike geometry and suspension front.
The ixil is heavier what with a double unit, and ofcourse it will interfere with the mass centralizing of the Duke twins. I would still defer to people like Indimotard who are the champs as far as I know. So it depends on who you go to and the advice you get (if it's picked off the streets of the interwebs like this 200). Go to a specialized shop who have rallyists at the helm and you can't go wrong.

I know you are looking for a dual sport adv kind of bike. I think you should pay a visit to Indimotard and see what the good boys there can cook up for you for a price. Might be well worth it.
Old 30th March 2016, 17:14   #5381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
How is the grip in the wet and dry? Does it hold the line during braking?
Wet grip is fantastic, the only concern here is the tyre empties bucket loads of water and your shoes tend to get wet whenever you take a turn. About a week into install, it poured in here and I was running the bike without the front mudguard. Within minutes, I was totally drenched upfront as water emptied from every possible crevice in the front end.

Since you are not doing greater speeds like the Metz, it is satisfactory on the tarmac. I used to go upto 120kmph on these as there would be vibes felt on the handle after this speed. The grip was good as long ad the treads were about 2mm deep. After this it started to go sideways under heavy braking and cornering.
Old 1st April 2016, 10:47   #5382
BHPian

I want an off road fender for my duke 390. Broke the stock one offroading, and it was no good anyway in slushy conditions. Trouble is, I cant find any fender to my liking. Locally available ones are probably for the Bullets and have a spade like front, while they are decent functionally, aesthetically they are an eyesore.

I want either the Acerbis NOST fender or something close to it. I even found the Acerbis supermoto Fender to be good.

Where can I find these in India? If not these, is there any other alternative for a good off road fender?
Old 4th April 2016, 10:48   #5383
BHPian

Can anybody tell me where I can buy Pirelli DR 2 150/60 17 in Bangalore? Also what are the other tire options? Need to change the rear tire soon. Im not considering Metzelers as they are quite expensive.
Old 4th April 2016, 11:42   #5384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here is my experience after putting the risers - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3924134 (The Duke of Direwolves - Lisbeth, my KTM Duke 200)

The risers offer major ergonomic rewards - the sitting position is more upright, the pressure on the shoulder is less and it is very easy to stand up and ride.

--Anoop
got the handle bar raisers fitted from grease house on saturday. Its a 2" lift. The upper body posture feels much more relaxed. Wished there was a simple way to slightly lower and forward position the foot rest. Am planning to add some foam onto the rider seat, which will increase the distance between sitting surface and foot-rest. with the bar raisers, + some foam addition to the seat, i guess it would improve the posture and add a bit of cushioning as well to the seat.

In the last service, just a few weeks back, the front right side fork seal had busted for the 4th time. They replaced the seal during service and now the oil is started leaking again for the 5th time. How can i get rid of this issue? how much does a new USD fork cost? can we buy just one, or do we have to buy a pair? once during the warranty, the down-tube was replaced on 2nd time leak, and it held good for about 15k kms, but has busted since thrice more. I am really getting pissed-off with this frequent fork seal issue. :(
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2016, 12:28   #5385
BHPian

Quote:
got the handle bar raisers fitted from grease house on saturday. Its a 2" lift. The upper body posture feels much more relaxed.
What about the clutch ply? Do u see any difference when u turn left / right?

Most Viewed