Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2016, 21:02   #5461
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Note from Support: Please use proper spacing & grammar for better readability. Thanks!

Rode down with wife to Munnar from Neyveli. Started at around 5 am and reached Munnar by 3 pm. Overall ride was smooth and bit frequent breaks for wifey to be comfortable. Climate here is unpredictable but really a nice time to visit. Mornings are hot and by afternoon it rains for a few hours.

Riding gear:
  1. Sol helmet (Metalman s68II)
  2. Spartan Helios jacket
  3. Rrynox gloves
  4. Aspida riding pants
  5. TBG riding shoes
For luggage, Veterra was used which, was borrowed from my friend. It started raining about 5 kms from Munnar and we rode in rain. Luggage did not get wet even when rain cover was not used.

I used Redline Plus gel seat and it showed it's difference in this ride. I did not have sore butt after the ride. Overall the Duke 390 is a capable tourer, except for the small tank.

The bike has superb handling. It was evident in the curves and the fun to ride factor makes sure that those long journey in 4 lane roads are not boring. Cruising at 100 kmph wind-blast is not that tiresome but more 110 kmph it feels difficult. This bike has enough power reserve for everything you would want!

Coming from R15, Duke 200, CBR 250R,RC 390 this bike would stay with me for long .

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-image.jpeg

Last edited by aah78 : 13th June 2016 at 23:30. Reason: See note. Post edited for grammar, spacing & spell-check.
nitninja is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 06:25   #5462
BHPian

Right I did a bit of digging and querying in other forums too. Found the reason for the right side heat.

Due to very high ambient temperatures and over heating due to traffic issues during the ride my head gasket has disintegrated and I need a new one. Luckily no coolant leak just a small oil spillage, but that is enough to release a compression jet stream straight under the right side frame which heats up and literally burnt me.

Will be getting the head gasket replaced as soon as possible, till then Les will rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitninja View Post

I used redline plus gel seat and it showed its diference in this ride.i did not have sore butt after the ride.
Please do give more info on this Gel seat and redline thing. I don't have any problem with the stock seat, but I would like to raise the height and pad it as I find the seating position a bit low.

I have an MRA windshield and I was able to maintain 120-130 very easily without any windblast, so have a look at that.

Last edited by Zappo : 9th May 2016 at 14:03. Reason: No back to back posts please. Use the multiquote option to respond to everyone in a post. Posts merged.
Old 9th May 2016, 09:32   #5463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitc7 View Post
Please do give more info on this Gel seat and redline thing. I don't have any problem with the stock seat, but I would like to raise the height and pad it as I find the seating position a bit low.

I have an MRA windshield and I was able to maintain 120-130 very easily without any windblast, so have a look at that.
Redline plus is a brand and they sell the gel seat.Gel seat is basically softer and thus provides good cushoning for the rider,makes you cover longer distances without any discomfort.It sits above the stock seat and increases the seat height to approximately 1 inch or a bit more.Im almost 6.1 feet and hence needed the seat height to be increased.Now it is perfect for me.Gel seat is made from advanced padding pand thus does not create any pressure points.Cost is around 4000 rs and if ordered it will take 2 weeks to reach your place.

MRA windshield is what i have in my mind.The only fly in the ointment is the price.Need to save up and buy it as my current one is rattling
A picture for reference
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-image.jpeg  

Old 9th May 2016, 12:19   #5464
CGB
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitninja View Post
Rode down with wife to munnar from neyveli.Started at around 5 am and reached munnar by 3 pm.Overall ride was smooth and bit frequent breaks for wifey to be comfortable.Climate here is unpredictable but really a nice time to visit.Mornings are hot and by afternoon it rains for a few hours.
That's the fantastic drive nitninja. Hill roads + Duke 390 + Metzelers = amazing combo And lucky you're to have a wife who enjoys the ride as much as you do Wish we plan for a ride very soon.
Old 9th May 2016, 14:26   #5465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGB View Post
That's the fantastic drive nitninja. Hill roads + Duke 390 + Metzelers = amazing combo And lucky you're to have a wife who enjoys the ride as much as you do Wish we plan for a ride very soon.
thank you gautham.Pillion seat is a pain i added some extra foam as you did Metzelers was totally awesome on the hills though it slipped for a moment once when i downshifted.Plan one soon!
Old 9th May 2016, 18:39   #5466
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Update on the Ceat Vertigo Sport on my D390

So, finally after 21k kms on the knobbies, I faced the first slow puncture a couple of days before. Rode for the bike with air top ups. Finally decided to go back to the Metz which I had preserved in my home. With these, the beast now feels more flickable and planted compared to the Vertigo which incidentally was on its last breath.
Request an update on differences felt between Metz and Vertigo, now that you hopefully would have put some more kms on the former

Some specific bits of info I am looking for:

- Grip in general. If Metz is a 10/10, how would you rate Vertigo?
- How far were you able to lean the bike with the Ceat? I don't want exact lean angle numbers but was it like you are doing just (for example) 30 degrees and the rear is ready to give up on the vertigo?
- Hard braking on VS, any issues observed? Is difference compared to Metz that of day and night?
- Would you recommend someone to go for VS for regular commuting and some mild off roading, say 80:20 ratio?

The reason I am asking this is because I am tired of punctures on my tires. First, the Michelin's sidewall got impaled with a bolt. Now, the IRCs have picked up a nasty puncture too, and the tyre looks like its deformed from where the "fix" has been applied

Tired of spending money on tires. Cannot ........ anymore. Looking for a tyre that is not deathly bad on the road, offers decent life and puncture resistance. Should not rob the bike entirely of its fun to ride factor. I love the flickability the Duke has and like to lean her around corners. Will the Vertigo perform poorly? I am OK with limiting the top speed to 120 or thereabouts, but if I have to corner like a granny; I don't want it. I'll live with the punctures

Your comments based on your experience would be much appreciated
Old 10th May 2016, 06:33   #5467
BHPian

Urban Nomad try the Michelin Pilot Sport or the Pirelli Diablo Rosso II. The Pirelli's are an exact replacement for the Metz.

On the slightly cheaper end you have the Michelin, same size as the Metz but a medium compound instead of soft.

Forget the Ceat and MRF's they will never give the same grip or traction and the braking will be severely compromised.
amitc7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2016, 09:54   #5468
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Request an update on differences felt between Metz and Vertigo, now that you hopefully would have put some more kms on the former

- How far were you able to lean the bike with the Ceat? I don't want exact lean angle numbers but was it like you are doing just (for example) 30 degrees and the rear is ready to give up on the vertigo?
- Hard braking on VS, any issues observed? Is difference compared to Metz that of day and night?
- Would you recommend someone to go for VS for regular commuting and some mild off roading, say 80:20 ratio?

The reason I am asking this is because I am tired of punctures on my tires. First, the Michelin's sidewall got impaled with a bolt. Now, the IRCs have picked up a nasty puncture too, and the tyre looks like its deformed from where the "fix" has been applied

Tired of spending money on tires. Cannot ........ anymore. Looking for a tyre that is not deathly bad on the road, offers decent life and puncture resistance. Should not rob the bike entirely of its fun to ride factor. I love the flickability the Duke has and like to lean her around corners. Will the Vertigo perform poorly? I am OK with limiting the top speed to 120 or thereabouts, but if I have to corner like a granny; I don't want it. I'll live with the punctures

Your comments based on your experience would be much appreciated
Your best bet is the Michelin pilot street radial. Bolt getting into sidewall is pure bad luck. Can happen with any tire. Give Michelin one more try.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2016, 11:09   #5469
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Redline plus is a brand and they sell the gel seat.Gel seat is basically softer and thus provides good cushoning for the rider,makes you cover longer distances without any discomfort.It sits above the stock seat and increases the seat height to approximately 1 inch or a bit more.Im almost 6.1 feet and hence needed the seat height to be increased.Now it is perfect for me.Gel seat is made from advanced padding pand thus does not create any pressure points.Cost is around 4000 rs and if ordered it will take 2 weeks to reach your place.
Another good product for seat ride comfort is ride on air - air cushion.

http://www.rideonair.in/

Have heard a lot of good things about it and people who have used it have praised a lot. I am also planning to get one and try.
Old 10th May 2016, 16:08   #5470
sps
BHPian

Duke is being targeted by cops here in Thiruvananthapuram. Already stopped atleast 10 times in the 6 months of ownership experience.

Last month was checked twice in my ride to office. And during the second time I told the cop that I was checked once, 10 mins before. This hurt the cop's ego and he booked me for dangerous driving. Made me wait at the police station for 1 hour. Registered a petty case and now I have to pay the fine in court.

Barring this everything else is just perfect. I also have a Bullet Machismo. But off late all the touring is done only with this machine.

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_2458.jpg
Old 10th May 2016, 16:32   #5471
CGB
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sps View Post
Duke is being targeted by cops here in Thiruvananthapuram. Already stopped atleast 10 times in the 6 months of ownership experience.
Sps, you'll get used to it ! , She is definitely a COP MAGNET. Once, I was stopped on the way to office and cop reply was, "Why you educated and office goers buy such bikes?"
CGB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2016, 17:02   #5472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post

The Vertigo scores a 7 on tarmac but 9 on wet and 10 on off road. The grip on the tarmac is okish if you are doing sane speeds read as double digit Once it crosses 120kmph, there is a vibe felt on the handlebars as this is a heavy tyre and starts to bounce on undulations on the roads. This may be due to the reason that this was rated to 150 or 180 kmph max. You can come out of any pothole without worrying about your rim getting damaged.
Depends on your comfort. I used to do almost 80% of the Metz when new. Once it crossed 18k, the rear was not very generous on those leans. Used to fishtail out on corners.
The stopping distance is increased, say around 15-20% on hard braking. But no surprises. You will get used to that.
Sadly the tyre is out of production now. The front ones are still available but the rear ones simply do not exist in market anymore. If I get another set, I am gong to go blindly for these. My rides are always on the country roads trying out for something new and these were a blessing in disguise for that reason.
I have updated against your queries.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2016, 18:51   #5473
Distinguished - BHPian

Any feedback on the ktm service center in Kalyan nagar, banaswadi in Bangalore? Anyone been there for routine service?
Old 10th May 2016, 20:40   #5474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sps View Post
I don't think they specifically target Duke. I have used my 390 for over 12 months in Trivandrum and i was not even stopped once. This includes daily commutes and weekend rides
Old 11th May 2016, 11:20   #5475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post
I don't think they specifically target Duke. I have used my 390 for over 12 months in Trivandrum and i was not even stopped once. This includes daily commutes and weekend rides
Duke targeting is my experience here in Pune too. On my previous Classic 500 I would usually be waved on at police check spots but on my Duke I am always stopped. Though the Police behavior is usually more appreciative
However this has significantly reduced over the last year and half. I guess Duke is quiet common and known bike now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGB View Post
Sps, you'll get used to it ! , She is definitely a COP MAGNET. Once, I was stopped on the way to office and cop reply was, "Why you educated and office goers buy such bikes?"
Similar questions for me too.
And on inquiring the price, the next question is: "Why didn't you buy a car instead?"

Last edited by timuseravan : 11th May 2016 at 11:24.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks