Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2017, 14:39   #6001
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

With a heavy heart, last evening i let go of my first batch 2013 duke 390.
Had my share of fun on the bike for 35k kms, and there was some emotional connect. Was not using the bike much recently, so had put it for sale a while back. eventually last evening it went to a new owner.
Will remember the good times we had together. And hopefully looking forward to 390ADV if and when it happens, to get back to the orange family.
nasirkaka is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th April 2017, 08:55   #6002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
I think unk9ja or someone if my memory serves me correct had his Duke fitted with Vertigo Sport for Ladakh and it performed flawlessly. Perhaps, you can try searching for his article here in our forum.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...uke-390-a.html

Cheers!
VJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Yes I had it on my Ladakh drive and beyond that and I was quite impressed with those shoes. But now it is out of production and the available ones are too old and unsafe as I see it. Ebonho had this on his NE sojourn, but had managed to do a 6k run compared to 22k on mine. So if you come across any Vertigo sport, double check the production details. Also some of these were discarded by owners due to instability and excessive vibration.
Thanks for the replies guys. The ralco speed blaster is a good tyre that retains a good speed rating while having good reviews for the grip as well. So I've decided with the speedblaster for the rear. The front however remains to be decided. Vertigo used to be good, but as @unk9ja said, its out of production. How is Michelin Sirac street in the front for the trails?
Old 1st May 2017, 20:20   #6003
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin1224 View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. The ralco speed blaster is a good tyre that retains a good speed rating while having good reviews for the grip as well. So I've decided with the speedblaster for the rear. The front however remains to be decided. Vertigo used to be good, but as @unk9ja said, its out of production. How is Michelin Sirac street in the front for the trails?
I have had the chance to try both the Ceat Vertigo Sport and the Michelin Sirac Street both in size 100/90-17 on my Duke 200 within a short duration and found, unsurprisingly, that the Sirac is better. On the road, it squeals much less under hard braking. This is my daily driver. Of course, lean angles have been limited now but it holds well enough with adequate grip. On trails, it is good too. Obviously better than stock road tyres anyway. Between the two tyres, the Sirac is a no-brainer.

As for the rear, I got a Vee Rubber VRM163 130/80-17 on Saturday. It is still slick with mould release compound so I am taking it easy. Ride height has increased by at least an inch and gearing is taller now. Bought it because of good reviews. If you decide on the Speed Blaster, go for size 140/70-17 and not 120/80-17 since you will have a wider tread then.
Old 1st May 2017, 20:38   #6004
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sid View Post
If you decide on the Speed Blaster, go for size 140/70-17 and not 120/80-17 since you will have a wider tread then.
The Speedblaster 120/80/17 is an almost stock front spec tyre for the Versys 650. How much does this cost?

It looks reasonably dual sport (maybe a 70/30 if I am being generous - a scorpion trail pireli will be a 90/10). Cant find a speed rating online on these, but some site says they are rated for 150 kmph. I wouldn't dare over 130 on any dual sport tyre anyway.

My other option for the front is a VRM 163 130/80, but that means I have increase the height on the front fender etc, and also the overall height of the bike becomes a tad more higher - something I can ill afford with my average indian height.

Rear: I intend to go with a Vee Rubber VRM 193 150/60/17 for the rear (I have an optional choice of a Ralco or VRM 163 140/70/17 which is almost the same profile in terms of size). Have already downsized from the 160/60/17 to a 150/60/17 (pilot street) and find the bike nimbler to manage.

But I must say, the 163 really do look the part of a 60/40 bias. Wish they were available as a 120 profile for the front.

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-ralco-speedblaster-tubeless-tyre.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-vrm1931.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-vrm163.jpeg  

Last edited by Red Liner : 1st May 2017 at 20:49.
Old 1st May 2017, 20:56   #6005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
The Speedblaster 120/80/17 is an almost stock front spec tyre for the Versys 650. How much does this cost?

I intend to go with a Vee Rubber VRM 193 150/60/17 for the rear. Have attached snaps of both with this post. They look quite similar - I think they should fit the bill for ladakh/spiti.
I am not sure if it is a good idea to trust the Speed Blaster for the front wheel. It is not a bad tyre but perhaps something like the MRF Mogrip might be better, though even that has less than happy reviews for wet grip. I have not had any personal experience with the Speed Blaster but its reviews are mixed. The 140/70-17 was priced at 2400 in Delhi so the 120/80-17 should be around 2200.

I did not know the VRM 193 is available in 150/60-17. At least the shop where I bought the VRM 163 from had no size other than 130/80-17 in this or the 193. The 163 has a whole thread on the advrider forum which is where I read its reviews. For the front, yes, the 130/80-17 would be too high.

For only Ladakh/Spiti type tours, you can buy any of these tyres. For me, the VRM 163 and Sirac will be daily drivers. And yes, the VRM 163 does look the part.
Darth Sid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2017, 21:09   #6006
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure if it is a good idea to trust the Speed Blaster for the front wheel. It is not a bad tyre but perhaps something like the MRF Mogrip might be better, though even that has less than happy reviews for wet grip.
From what I checked, I could not find the Mo Grip in 17 inch profile. Have you seen otherwise?

Quote:
I have not had any personal experience with the Speed Blaster but its reviews are mixed. The 140/70-17 was priced at 2400 in Delhi so the 120/80-17 should be around 2200.
I couldn't find anything much on the ralco speedblaster's online or on forums. Unfortunately, there is a dearth of dual sport'ish tyres in the 17 inch profile sizes.

Well guess what, a review by the great Dilip Bam himself.

The speedblaster's were tested on the rear, seem to have come out with flying colors.

Quote:
I did not know the VRM 193 is available in 150/60-17. At least the shop where I bought the VRM 163 from had no size other than 130/80-17 in this or the 193.
Sid, did you buy from Globe Engineering - Sunny? He promised me that a shipment of the 193's in 150/60/17 were due by the middle of April - looks like that may not have happened. Will have to ring him tomorrow.

Quote:
The 163 has a whole thread on the advrider forum which is where I read its reviews. For the front, yes, the 130/80-17 would be too high. For only Ladakh/Spiti type tours, you can buy any of these tyres. For me, the VRM 163 and Sirac will be daily drivers. And yes, the VRM 163 does look the part.
Yes, I got inspired by advrider and our very own Urban from here. If the VRM's are not available in anything other than 130 profile, then I may just need to bite the bullet on Ralco's front and rear for a Ladakh drive. Just not in the mood for any more mods on the bike.

Last edited by Red Liner : 1st May 2017 at 21:22.
Old 1st May 2017, 21:20   #6007
Senior - BHPian

Just a small update on the Ralco blaster. I have the 120 section on my impulse's rear (Bought used. Came with the bike). Its quite OK in the dry, OK in the dirt (the rear REALLY steps out under hard braking) but absolute RUBBISH in the wet. Had a fair bit of slide yesterday on my way to the OTR session. And it wasn't like it was really damp or my lean angle high. On a bike like Versys, I would tread carefully (no pun intended)
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2017, 21:26   #6008
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
but absolute RUBBISH in the wet. Had a fair bit of slide yesterday on my way to the OTR session. And it wasn't like it was really damp or my lean angle high. On a bike like Versys, I would tread carefully (no pun intended)
Any dual sport in the wet is asking for trouble in the wet no?

I have a fair bit of experience with MT tyres on Jeeps, and braking hard on wet surfaces was suicide. I remember once on the highway to Pune, I braked hard and the jeep did a 180 degree turn in the middle of the road facing oncoming traffic. Scary.

Only 90/10 tyres like the scorpion trail from the pirelli are rated decent for wet weather riding. or you go with proper street rubber.

What's your take on Veerubber wet weather?
Old 2nd May 2017, 00:59   #6009
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What's your take on Veerubber wet weather?
Haven't ridden in the wet yet with the vee. I doubt if I'll be able to coz at 3k kms, the tread is more than half gone (centre). Rear locks up on aggressive downshifts. Corners ok for a knobbie though

But if I'm honest, I'm not the best guy to be giving advice on riding in the wet and corresponding tyre choices. I ride like an absolute grandma when the roads are wet
Old 2nd May 2017, 02:12   #6010
BHPian

Quote:
Haven't ridden in the wet yet with the vee. I doubt if I'll be able to coz at 3k kms, the tread is more than half gone (centre). Rear locks up on aggressive downshifts. Corners ok for a knobbie though

But if I'm honest, I'm not the best guy to be giving advice on riding in the wet and corresponding tyre choices. I ride like an absolute grandma when the roads are wet
50% at 3k makes this wear almost as much as the metz, which is highly uneconomic IMO. Are all knobby/dual sport tyres like this? For himalayan rides, the tyre will be already worn considerably by the time you reach the mountains
ashwin1224 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 07:36   #6011
Distinguished - BHPian

The 163 sounds almost like a 50/50 tyre from the looks of your usage. Yes, it wont last the distance to leh, forget getting back.

My thinking is the ralcos are probably a better bet than the michelin pilot street for such terrains anyway.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2017, 20:52   #6012
Distinguished - BHPian

Update. The versys rims are 3.5 front and 4.5 rear.

This is what is available in dual sport trim in the budget market:

Front:
VRM 163 130/80/17*65S (Fender mod) 3.5 (denotes max rim size allowed)
Ralco Speedblaster 110/80/17 (Fender mod?) 3.00
Michelin Sirac 100/90/17 (Fender mod) 2.75
Ceat Vertigo Sport 100/90/17 2.75
Ralco Speedblaster 120/80/17 (Fender mod) 2.5/2.75

Rear

Ralco Speed blaster 140/70/17 (Stock) 4.5
VRM 193*150/60/17: 69V 4.5 Not available - due in a month
VRM 163 140/70/17 4.5 Not available

As you can now see, i am restricted the vee 130 upfront, and a ralco 140, if available on the rear. Now, i have looked at the ralco website and they do not mention it as a size they manufacture, which is unnerving. However changemytyre.in lists this size as a cash on delivery purchase. I will reach out to them and confirm.

Guys, if i have missed out any other dual sport please let me know. I am so frustrated, that i more or less made up my mind to run the course to the mountains with my michelin pilot street tyres.

That said, all of you all who are successfully running 100/90/17 on the fronts, these are meant for 2.5 and 2.75 inch rims? Duke is 3 inch upfront and 4 inch rear.

So what is the call on matching tyres to rims?

Last edited by Red Liner : 3rd May 2017 at 21:01.
Old 3rd May 2017, 22:28   #6013
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is what is available in dual sport trim in the budget market:
Just a quick note. Basis my last conversation with the Globe Engineering folks, the 110/17 rear tyre vee rubber should soon be available (I checked for my Impulse). Hopefully this is available soon and can be a viable option for the Versys front

Having used Vee rubber on both my Duke (rear) and Impulse (front); I am quite happy with the level of grip; both on road and off (wet performance not tested)
Old 4th May 2017, 08:24   #6014
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just a quick note. Basis my last conversation with the Globe Engineering folks, the 110/17 rear tyre vee rubber should soon be available (I checked for my Impulse). Hopefully this is available soon and can be a viable option for the Versys front

Having used Vee rubber on both my Duke (rear) and Impulse (front); I am quite happy with the level of grip; both on road and off (wet performance not tested)
Thanks urban. Yes, that will be a straight fit for the versys! He has also promised the vrm 193 in 150 guise, which will be a straight fit for the rear. He said next container, which is going to be June most likely.

Here's hoping it happens and soon!
Old 8th May 2017, 11:22   #6015
BHPian

Sorry for the late reply. Was off the site for some time.

Quote:
From what I checked, I could not find the Mo Grip in 17 inch profile. Have you seen otherwise?
See the attached picture. It was taken at Globe Engineering where I got my tyre from. The Duke 390 behind my 200 had its rear MRF Mogrip 120/80-17 replaced with with a Pilot Street.

Quote:
I couldn't find anything much on the ralco speedblaster's online or on forums. Unfortunately, there is a dearth of dual sport'ish tyres in the 17 inch profile sizes.

Well guess what, a review by the great Dilip Bam himself.

The speedblaster's were tested on the rear, seem to have come out with flying colors.
True, but the Speed Blaster is now available in 140/70-17.

I like the retro music in that video. The tyre is not too bad. It is just the mixed reviews that are confusing.

Quote:
Thanks urban. Yes, that will be a straight fit for the versys! He has also promised the vrm 193 in 150 guise, which will be a straight fit for the rear. He said next container, which is going to be June most likely.

Here's hoping it happens and soon!
I was going to reply to the second part of your previous message but this news sounds promising. Hopefully, this will solve your conundrum. In the meantime I will test out the Vee Rubber. Maybe it will wear out slower on the 200 during acceleration because of the lack of power. Downshifts are a different story though as I tend to drop 2 gears at a time to make the rear slide out.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20170429_181842.jpg  

Darth Sid is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks