Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2019, 19:57   #6376
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_davis97 View Post

It would be a huge help if the biking experts and the BHPians who have ridden both the bikes can comment on which they would choose and why.

P.S. My Team-BHP membership got approved just last week and I am incredibly happy and proud to be a part of this wonderful brotherhood.
You have spent a long time with RE. Why not use this opportunity to try something completely different and new? And with a different manufacturer? The bikes are as different as chalk and cheese. If you want a sharp corner carver, with mind numbing acceleration along with a spate of tech upgrades, Duke 390. And you probably know what the interceptor is all about.

If going with the KTM, please wait until October, because an all new duke with the BS6/euro5 engine is launching. There will be a reasonable amount of changes to warrant waiting.
Red Liner is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th May 2019, 22:11   #6377
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_davis97 View Post

I am still being drawn to the light weight nature and the amount of features the new duke offers (LED's, TFT display et cetera) as it offers a change to my current 'retro' bike but I just can't get over that wonderful sounding, super smooth parallel twin engine of the 650 twins.
Don't fall for the LED lights, they are of no use on the highway, I would have preferred the halogens instead, this led is extremely poor. The TFT is such a waste, I still have a tough time reading it even 2 years after owning the bike. If you are planning to ride the Duke in city for office commutes and if your office route has lot of traffic, would suggest to avoid the Duke, the fuelling and heat is a big mess. This is a bike to be ridden on the twisties and it really shines there. The reason for the heat is the stupid exhaust pipe routing on the left side of the cylinder. The next gen Duke according to the leaks so far, shows the exhaust has been redesigned and routed from below the engine, that's a huge plus and will solve the heat being blown on to the legs.
rbp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th May 2019, 08:43   #6378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post

If going with the KTM, please wait until October, because an all new duke with the BS6/euro5 engine is launching. There will be a reasonable amount of changes to warrant waiting.
I have decided to wait till the EICMA 2019 (5th November to 10th November) to get an idea of the latest updates that will eventually trickle down to India when the BS6 norms kick in, including the new Duke 390.
dr_davis97 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 12:07   #6379
Senior - BHPian

Some musings - What to do!

I'm in a terrible fix!

Presently my garage consists of
  • Laura TSI
  • Polo GT TSI
  • Duke 390 - Nov'13 edition
I had bought the Duke from a friend in Nov'14 when I was moving from Hyderabad to Bangalore and I felt I needed a 2 wheeler. So sold my humongous pickup truck and brought home the Duke. It was almost after a 10 year gap that I was riding and I instantly fell in love with the 390. What power and acceleration. Reminded me of my previous bike, THE RD 350. It was an instant love affair. The bike had about 900 Kms on the clock. Rode it up and down Bangalore and some places around for it to click about 18K Kms in 16/17 months.

Then came the chance to move to Mumbai. So I rode it to Mumbai. Boy that was an interesting journey. Since moving to Mumbai in Nov'16, the bike has clocked only 2500Kms till date. Last 9 months it has just been standing. Everyday morning I see the bike, think of riding it over the weekend but somehow it doesn't happen. Even though I changed the battery ( last month), did a 5km spin ( yesterday), I'm undecided whether I should sell it or keep it.

While I know that the bike is getting wasted standing in the parking lot, hence should be let gone, I also know that I love biking. Whenever I'm on the saddle, I'm very happy and feel a spurt of youthful exuberance, which is unmatched even in the Laura / Polo. I also know that if I let the bike go, I may not be able to get another bike for sometime.

So should I hold on in the hope or let it go?
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 12:11   #6380
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Some musings - What to do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post

Hold on to it, as long as there are no problems at all with the bike.

You will probably get next to nothing for this bike in the resale market. You might as well keep her, as long as she puts a smile on your face and has no lingering mechanical issues to sort out. Add a top box for cheap, so you can make the bike more usable (to carry stuff if needed).

Good luck,
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 12:12   #6381
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Since its been sitting for a while, I can see two options.

1. Alter your lifestyle to add a weekend biking element (T-BHP meet as well)
2. Sell this off, buy a Jawa (or another classic) and put it in your living room as an art installation.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 12:17   #6382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Add a top box for cheap, so you can make the bike more usable (to carry stuff if needed).
I have saddle bags and Tail Bag from ViaTerra for the Duke. In Bangalore, I have gone grocery shopping on the bike and come back with both saddle bags full.

https://www.amazon.in/ViaTerra-Velox.../dp/B06ZZPBSHG
Old 13th May 2019, 12:25   #6383
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have saddle bags and Tail Bag from ViaTerra for the Duke. In Bangalore, I have gone grocery shopping on the bike and come back with both saddle bags full.

https://www.amazon.in/ViaTerra-Velox.../dp/B06ZZPBSHG
Just keep the bike man. Nothing else will give you this much fun for the price it will resell at in the used market.

Maybe add an after market silencer...do some small mods on it to get you onto the bike and start doing some riding. These things help.

Monsoons are around the corner as well - the best time to get riding on that bike and explore trails in the Sahyadris.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 13:00   #6384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hold on to it, as long as there are no problems at all with the bike.

You will probably get next to nothing for this bike in the resale market. You might as well keep her, as long as she puts a smile on your face and has no lingering mechanical issues to sort out. Add a top box for cheap, so you can make the bike more usable (to carry stuff if needed).

Good luck,
Why does the DUKE have such a poor resale value ? I was casually checking prices of used Dukes in Chennai on olx/quickr. Most look like dealer bikes and were being quoted at 1.25-1.75 range.

But if what you are saying is correct, it will be a good option for me to consider next year when I will actually be on the look out for a bike
Old 13th May 2019, 13:47   #6385
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Why does the DUKE have such a poor resale value ? I was casually checking prices of used Dukes in Chennai on olx/quickr. Most look like dealer bikes and were being quoted at 1.25-1.75 range.

But if what you are saying is correct, it will be a good option for me to consider next year when I will actually be on the look out for a bike
Because most bikes are used like crap. It is very difficult to find a piece that's not been molested. Unfortunately, that bike begs you to take her to the limit every single time. Also add the fact that most purchasers are kids, who don't necessarily understand what maintenance means. Bad or no service intervals, questionable usage, and sometimes even accident bikes make it onto all these portals. Not so with some of the higher priced, higher CC bikes.

I would steer hell clear away from the KTM used market. If you are only looking at used options, either buy one off your friend; or one which has maintenance charted out on a TBHP thread, or get a used CBR from some older gentleman which has been maintained properly.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 13:50   #6386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why does the DUKE have such a poor resale value ?
These are single cylinder high revving engines with much higher wear and tear than the Ninjas or the CBRs. Furthermore, most owners are boy racers and hence chances of bike being dropped or having met with a crash.

All these factors put together lower the resale value. My 5 yr old 21K done bike will fetch at max 90K.
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 14:05   #6387
BHPian

Quote:
I also know that I love biking.
Hold on to it, shoot the hope part of it and start riding it. Atleast do weekend rides.
Old 19th May 2019, 20:49   #6388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The Duke 390 is "comparatively" expensive to maintain, starting from the tires, to the cylinder kit, the overall keep up. Though, on the paper it looks tempting, reliability factors and practical factors and overall upkeep isn't what a typical college-goer considers before a purchase.

Be it the R15s to Dukes and the likes, are purely purchased on compulsion. Ask their parents and they will let you know their troubled history

Nevertheless, as Bhpians mentioned, the very character of the engine, the use and throw attitude, coupled with other factors make it el cheapo deal on the other side of the Internet. Should you consider one? Definitely yes for the Duke for what it offers, eyes closed.

A used one? Hmm perhaps, not. A clean chit history, a good upkeep from the owner. Overall, the bike itself can speak to its owner(s) integrity, as to what he has to offer.

The decision is yours.

Quote:
I'm in a terrible fix!

Fret not. I'd suggest keep your priorities first. Car or bike, which gets often used and which doesn't. The Duke lying around unused for months while the cager does duty doesn't mean you have to write her off, not yet. You can use her to get the occasional wind in your face, weekend rides, for which she'd perfectly complement.

Why invest in an another motorcycle while nothing in the market isn't offering VFM as much as the Duke, in case you're willing to go the premium route.

I'd suggest, keep her. Give her a chance.

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 19th May 2019 at 20:53.
VijayAnand1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2019, 14:17   #6389
Senior - BHPian

Overwhelmed by so many replies, I cleaned up the bike and fired her up. Between Saturday and Sunday rode about 25Kms. I know not much, but its a start. Hopefully a few more rides before rains start.
Old 7th June 2019, 10:27   #6390
BHPian

Hello everyone,

I am writing this post on the behalf of my relative.

He owns a KTM Duke 390, which has ~17k kms on the odo. He is quite unhappy with the jerky power delivery in the lower gears and is considering getting a remap for linear power delivery.

He has shortlisted a Stage 1 Remap by Mantra Racing. But before going ahead, he has a few questions:

1. Has anyone tried their remap? Could you please give your suggestions regarding the same?

2. Is it worth the investment? Would it solve the above mentioned issue?

3. How about considering powertronics over mantra ecu remap?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Lonetraveller

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks