Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2020, 16:25   #6481
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

BS6 390 price revealed:

Source:AUTOCAR INDIA at https://www.autocarindia.com/bike-ne...53-lakh-415728

KTM dealers have begun accepting bookings for the BS6-compliant 2020 KTM 390 Duke unofficially. The company has begun dispatching the new bike and it’s set to reach showrooms by the end of the week. For 2020, the 390 Duke will get both, mechanical and cosmetic updates and cost only around Rs 5,000 more at Rs 2.53 lakh (ex-showroom, Mumbai), which is very impressive considering the number of changes.
To begin with, the 390 Duke is set to get the bi-directional quickshifter that made its debut on the recently-launched 390 Adventure. Along with this, the sport-naked will also get the required changes to the exhaust system and map in order to make it BS6-compliant.
Another big change for 2020 is the addition of a new grey colour scheme. This shade is similar to the one that we also saw on the BS6-compliant 250 Duke yesterday. In addition to the new colour, the 390 Duke also gets revised graphics, which are a lot more subtle this time around. The images also reveal that grey won’t be the only colour scheme on offer and that it’ll continue to be offered in white as well.
It won’t be long before KTM sends out official information, which is when we can confirm all the technical and cosmetic changes.
Avinash_R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 16:16   #6482
Senior - BHPian

Talk of the devil, the guy is currently premiering live video, the BS VI 390 with the Quick Shifter. Dinesh always does a good job of posting good content and fast.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 18:08   #6483
BHPian

Can we completely do away with clutch usage on a bike with a quick shifter + auto-blipper? I'm finding online that this feature is something that is useful on the track to save those precious seconds lost in shifting but the way I understand it, this can serve as a big boon in city traffic saving you from a painful left hand from constant clutch lever usage. Would my understanding be correct? I guess we still need to use the clutch to shift from neutral to the 1st gear.
Old 26th January 2020, 18:26   #6484
Senior - BHPian

This guy managed to get a test ride. I am really interested to know about the quickshifter+ thingy. The only reason my bike usage went down drastically was due to the painful clutch operation in Bangalore ORR traffic. If this technology can totally take care of that problem, I won't need to buy a scooter at all. Can someone throw some light on this front?

The grey looks amazing. I don't need that much power for city usage but this quickshifter might just make me pick up the 390 if it actually means clutchless gearshift . He keeps talking about it but everytime hits the clutch. So can't really make out much

Source: DBS Vlogs

Last edited by SoumenD : 26th January 2020 at 18:42.
Old 26th January 2020, 20:12   #6485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
......due to the painful clutch operation in Bangalore ORR traffic. If this technology can totally take care of that problem
I'm afraid Soumen but the 390's quick-shifter will offer you no relief in ORR's traffic (I experience it first-hand on a regular basis, of-course the traffic). You would still need to half-clutch it from being stalled. The quick-shifter can only shift smoothly beyond a certain RPM range which could vary from engine to engine. Anything lower & it could prove to be jerky. Given the high-strung nature of 390's high-CR single, I would expect that barrier to be at a reasonable 6K & beyond. Of-course, none of it is from actual experience of having used KTM's quick-shifter's but anticipatory.

However, having said that 390's slipper clutch is really light to use, even in comparison to some of it's contemporaries. More than the clutch it was the heat & the constant whirring radiator fan which was/is a concern on the existing model. I'm eagerly waiting to see how well does the re-routed exhaust do on that front.

Last edited by tabrez : 26th January 2020 at 20:16. Reason: added an additional point on slipper clutch & exhaust
tabrez is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 16:06   #6486
BHPian

Hey guys, it has been a while since I've posted here. Fells good to be back here My 390 is now at 29k and it has not seen much miles in the past few years. I was looking at a new rear tyre for it. I'm curious about the Pirelli Angel CTs in 140/70. I don't mind the 140 section rear but does anyone have any experience with it?
It looks like it has a bias ply construction. Speed rating at S is just enough, it seems. I'm not the one who does high speed runs often. Usually the cruising speeds are 100-110 max. I'm more into touring and slightly spirited riding in the twisty bits. So an all round tyre makes sense. I'm also on a tight budget.

My other option is the MRF Revz C1. Any feedback on it? How does the overall grip stack up against something like Michelin Street Radials?
b16h22 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 19:04   #6487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
[b]What is your long term opinion on these tyres (TS 822)
Sorry for the delay in response. The tyres are holding up very well and I am satisfied with the performance.
I am not an aggressive rider on tarmac and like to do 80-110 kmph runs all day during touring. And lots of rough riding during the weekends when I find time these days. Following are my observation
1 The height of the bike is now a couple of inches higher. I tip toe with sneakers while I can flat foot with my boots.
2 The potholes and rough terrain are swallowed with aplomb without any damage to the alloys.
3 The steering is a bit hard to turn due to increased weight. But no cause of concern as I have adapted myself to this.
4 Braking distance has marginally increased when compared to Metz and Mich.
5. Tyre pressure needs to be adjusted according to your comfort which can be bothersome like I found out during my last ride. I did not pay heed at the filling station and the guy dumped 32 psi. Too much and it is unsettling on the corners while becoming wallovy during higher speeds. So you need to pick your sweet spot by trials.
6 Leaning into corners is not as good as Metz, well it is a trade off for what fun you have off reading.
5 The tyres are rated for 150 kmph top speed and post 120, the feedback from the front is not confidence inspiring. It becomes light, but with the tank bag, it is much better as I have found during touring.
I have had this for around 16k kms and find around 40% wear on the tyres.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by unk9ja : 30th January 2020 at 19:06.
unk9ja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 22:06   #6488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post
My other option is the MRF Revz C1. Any feedback on it? How does the overall grip stack up against something like Michelin Street Radials?
I switched my 390's Metzeler rear tyre for the MRF Revz C1 and find it decent for touring. Takes a bit longer to warm up though. Cost me about Rs. 4k.
ashenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 18:35   #6489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Sorry for the delay in response. The tyres are holding up very well and I am satisfied with the performance.
I am not an aggressive rider on tarmac and like to do 80-110 kmph runs all day during touring. And lots of rough riding during the weekends when I find time these days. Following are my observation
1 The height of the bike is now a couple of inches higher. I tip toe with sneakers while I can flat foot with my boots.
2 The potholes and rough terrain are swallowed with aplomb without any damage to the alloys.
3 The steering is a bit hard to turn due to increased weight. But no cause of concern as I have adapted myself to this.
4 Braking distance has marginally increased when compared to Metz and Mich.
5. Tyre pressure needs to be adjusted according to your comfort which can be bothersome like I found out during my last ride. I did not pay heed at the filling station and the guy dumped 32 psi. Too much and it is unsettling on the corners while becoming wallovy during higher speeds. So you need to pick your sweet spot by trials.
6 Leaning into corners is not as good as Metz, well it is a trade off for what fun you have off reading.
5 The tyres are rated for 150 kmph top speed and post 120, the feedback from the front is not confidence inspiring. It becomes light, but with the tank bag, it is much better as I have found during touring.
I have had this for around 16k kms and find around 40% wear on the tyres.
Hope this helps.

Thanks... I decided to pick up the MT60 for the first change, and a fellow rider picked up a TS 822 for his second change, for both our Versys'. We ride together a lot, so we'll find out just how much better or worse which is in what situation. The MT60's are damn expensive though and last a lot lesser, so it wasn't an easy decision to make. Fingers crossed.
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 07:25   #6490
BHPian

Hi All,

I recently acquired a pre-worshipped 11k done Duke 390 from a fellow team-BHPan. The bike is very well maintained and I am in love with the bike.
My main use of the bike is for office commuting (I know) and I am enjoying my rides to the office. The only problem I am having is the heat from the engine and exhaust, mornings are okay but evenings are a pain in the slow moving traffic specially around GAS college (Govt Arts and Science college for the un-initiated).

I got the radiator fan changed to the one from 2018 model and seen a marked improvement as the hot air is no more blown towards my calves when the fan is running. But on the left side, the heat radiated from the exhaust is still very high. To prevent the same I am thinking of getting it wrapped with ceramic or glass wool tape.

Before attempting the same, I would like to know whether it is advisable and have any fellow team-BHPan attempted the same. Can somebody let me know the pros and cons of the same. I do not believe in the increase in the power due to wrap and interested only in the reduction in the heat radiated. I am also thinking of going for a guard something like Guard protector from Aliexpress.

Please advice.
Old 27th February 2020, 18:27   #6491

Hi All,

While I do understand this is an ownership thread - I would like your advice on a purchase question.

I was all set to pick up the 390 Duke BS6 version until I read the news that KTM is working on the 490 version of the Duke & could launch it as soon as 2021.

With that stated - would it make sense for me to go ahead with the current 390 or wait it out for the 490?

I do not wish to pick up the 390 now, only for it to be dead in the water/discontinued in favor of the 490s.

Please do advise

Thanks much
Old 27th February 2020, 19:01   #6492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subhashjo View Post
With that stated - would it make sense for me to go ahead with the current 390 or wait it out for the 490?
Absolutely Yes !! The 390 in it's current avatar has come a long way in terms of both refinement & usability. Gone are the days when it adorned (undesirable plastic) identical attire as it's siblings, made that rickshaw-on-steroid sound & fried the riders calf. Do note that the 490 is going to be a grounds-up design, at-least in-terms of engine (it may heavily borrow on the suspension, chassis & electronics from the family), and as a product it will have to endure a period during which it would mature & issues sorted out. Take a look at 390's evolution. And I don't expect it to be exactly cheap. For any-one who has experienced the 390 would concur with me on the fact that the average riders limitations are reached way far ahead of what the 390 can do. Although unaware of your riding experience, I think it should keep you engaged for a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subhashjo View Post
I do not wish to pick up the 390 now, only for it to be dead in the water/discontinued in favor of the 490s.
Highly unlikely that KTM-Bajaj would discontinue 390 in favor of a much more expensive offering. 790 is expected to continue alongside 890 (whenever that happens), at-least in our geography. If you're planning for the 390, the timing is apt. Just to add to your confusion, a revamped 390 is expected sometimes later next year.
tabrez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 19:12   #6493

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrez View Post
Although unaware of your riding experience, I think it should keep you engaged for a long time.
To begin with - thank you for your reply

To provide some context on my riding experience - Been riding motorbikes/scooters since 2000; was one of the first owners of the Duke 200 when it was launched on 29-Feb-2012.

Quote:
Highly unlikely that KTM-Bajaj would discontinue 390 in favor of a much more expensive offering. 790 is expected to continue alongside 890 (whenever that happens), at-least in our geography. If you're planning for the 390, the timing is apt. Just to add to your confusion, a revamped 390 is expected sometimes later next year.
That thought did cross my mind - however, I reckoned that the 390 might be put to rest in favor of the 490.
Now with this being called out - it does seem that the Duke line seems to have a refresh every 4 years; so again - do I wait till 2021 or bite the bullet now?
Old 27th February 2020, 19:26   #6494
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
. Just to add to your confusion, a revamped 390 is expected sometimes later next year.
Could you add a bit more to this? Revamped in what terms?
Old 27th February 2020, 22:08   #6495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Could you add a bit more to this? Revamped in what terms?
Purely from the spy pics Red, it does seem to carry a revised swing-arm, Trellis frame, exhaust manifold & some design elements such as tail section. To my naive eyes it also seems to be carrying a redesigned radiator. Test mule was spotted sans the bikini fairing but that I would attribute to it being work-in-progress.

Last edited by tabrez : 27th February 2020 at 22:08. Reason: correcting some punctuation

Most Viewed