Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2022, 18:59   #6736
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
Aswin, the sound that you're facing is from the chain tensioner. A faulty valve clearance sound would make it pertinent right from the word go, especially during a cold start and progressively louder throughout. In your case, it's intermittent, and the fault here is with a faulty timing chain tensioner. The part is a measly 250-ish odd and can be replaced in 15 mins. Replace it and do let us know. And it's totally normal for it to get weak at around your KM reading. Replace the tensioner first, observe for a couple of days and then see proceed to valve clearance op. If the sound repeats, it's time to look at both the timing chain and valve clearance.
Thanks VJ! I had taken it to KTM Whitefield and the SA was adamant that this was due to the purge valve and replaced it (Cost around 700rs) and I have since ridden around 200ish Kms in city and the sound does not appear anymore.

Also, I am planning a 1500 Km ride this month end and thought will complete the 30k service before that. Anything I should keep in mind? Also should I just replace the chain tensioner for a better peace of mind?

Thanks
Aswin
Old 12th December 2022, 21:00   #6737
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswin93 View Post
Thanks VJ! I had taken it to KTM Whitefield and the SA was adamant that this was due to the purge valve and replaced it (Cost around 700rs) and I have since ridden around 200ish Kms in city and the sound does not appear anymore.

Also, I am planning a 1500 Km ride this month end and thought will complete the 30k service before that. Anything I should keep in mind? Also should I just replace the chain tensioner for a better peace of mind?

Thanks
Aswin
Thanks for the update Aswin. Now I am curious as to what sound a faulty purge valve gives about. But, now that the issue is sorted, I would recommend you to keep a tab on it for a few more days which piques my interest, if KTM was adamant that it was indeed the purge valve, I reckon they might have had to troubleshoot a similar problem on other vehicle, which again is interesting.

Regarding the chain tensioner, when you carry out the service procedure, I would recommend you to get a heads up from the service manager if the tensioner warrants a replacement. If all is well, don't bother, but if it does warrant a replacement, then go ahead with the replacement.

Good luck.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2022, 22:18   #6738
BHPian

Just finished a solo ride trying to hit a couple of hill stations starting and ending at my home in Bangalore.

The plan was Bangalore -> Kodaikanal -> Vagamon -> Munnar -> Ooty -> Bangalore

Before the trip, did the mandatory service, checked/toped-up the fluids, and since my front tire had done around 15k Kms I changed it to Apollo Alpha H1 at Tyre Empire in HSR and did the wheel balancing from there itself

Started at 06:00 AM and all was well until I hit highway speeds. I usually do around 100 - 110 on the highway and during an overtake at that speed, the bike when went above 110 and the front end felt wobbly which is the first time I felt this on my bike.
Decided to carry on with the trip by maintaining speeds below 100 where everything was normal and decided to visit the KTM service center in Theni on my way from kodai -> Vagamon.

KTM folks first replaces the wheel bearing and that did not help. I told them that this was occurring after I changed my tire, and I wanted to check the wheel balance, but surprisingly they did not have the machine to do wheel balancing and also they found a small unevenness in the alloy near the tire and told me that this could have happened during the tire change and it is causing the issue, which I am not fully convinced off. But the amount of wheel weights added to the tire after it was changed also looks very weird. I am yet to take my bike to check the balancing again, if that also does not solve it, I will have to change the alloy.

But other than that had a very nice and uneventful trip

Adding some pics:

Mandatory CCD Stop
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_5094.jpg

Somewhere near Theni
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_5115.jpg

At KTM Service center in Theni
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_5118.jpg

Wheel weights added post tire change/balance
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_5119.jpg
aswin93 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th December 2022, 19:21   #6739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswin93 View Post
Just finished a solo ride trying to hit a couple of hill stations starting and ending at my home in Bangalore.
Wheel weights added post tire change/balance
Attachment 2394434
I feel if there is any undulations in the rim in the first place, the guys who mounted the new tire would have made you aware, isn't it. What I feel though is your front tire has upwards of 55+ grams which is a tad too much. The max most motorcycles use, in my experience have been no more than 10 to 15 or 20 to 25 max. 60 grams of mass on the front tire can and will cause harmonic oscillations post certain speed.

I would recommend you to re-balance your tires with proper inflation and get your tire checked for trueness. Or, I can suggest you to remove the weights altogether, do a high speed run and check for wobble. If it wobbles then either your T stem is tight or the wheel/rotor combo can perhaps be warped or have minor undulations.

If it doesn't then your weights were the problem in the first place. The weights are held in place by double sided glue pads. You can re-use those weights by applying strong glue.

I would strongly recommend you to try this and then proceed further with the actions required at the tire shop.

Good luck. Keep us updated.

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 28th December 2022 at 19:23.
VijayAnand1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 08:54   #6740
BHPian

Guys I am planning to check valve clearance on my bike. I want the shim set for 390 duke. Does anyone know where I can get them?
Shonith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2023, 13:25   #6741
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonith View Post
Guys I am planning to check valve clearance on my bike. I want the shim set for 390 duke. Does anyone know where I can get them?
Shonith, showroom would be your best bet. Why? Because they have the shims handy and the ones in Amazon are eye-wateringly expensive. Start off with the valve clearance procedure, zero in on the size and mm of shim you require after the calculations and armed with the information head to the SVC and get the right shim.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 09:00   #6742
BHPian

Quote:
Showroom would be your best bet. Why?
Thanks VJ,

My local ktm service center seems a bit hesitant to sell the shims over the counter. This was over the phone when I enquired about it. But I feel I can get it from them. Ktm service manual states valve clearance checking interval for 390 as 15,000kms but I doubt if the clearance will stay in range that long. Do you have any inputs on how long this has to be checked at?

After talking to the service center I am certain that these guys don't check the clearance at 15,000kms. They check only after the bike develops abnormal sound.
Shonith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2023, 19:24   #6743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After talking to the service center I am certain that these guys don't check the clearance at 15,000kms. They check only after the bike develops abnormal sound.
This is the only reason I refrain from recommending the 390 to others too much. Valve clearance in my experience goes out of spec every 5k kms itself and you're right; SVC folks have no clue on how to regularly check and maintain the valve clearances. They only do so when the bike goes in for an engine rebuild by which point its too late. I guess we have been spoiled by all the commuter options and Japanese vehicles which offer such impeccable reliability that one can suffice even with under-paid and under trained labor at the SVC. Buy a German car or a European bike and you've got to be proactive as hell to save your ownership experience from going down the toilet.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2023, 22:59   #6744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Buy a German car or a European bike and you've got to be proactive as hell to save your ownership experience from going down the toilet.
To this, I wholeheartedly agree. They are mostly all about the finesse and engineering excellence, barring the aggregate of reliability and longevity. Most Euro brands just can't replace their Japanese counterparts, but there are few that outdo the Japanese reliability with equally complicated engineering prowess.

Quote:
Thanks VJ,
Do you have any inputs on how long this has to be checked at?
Every 7k to 8k is what the manual recommends, but it isn't necessary unless deemed necessary. Though they recommend to inspect the clearances, they don't necessarily recommend to replace the shims at each and every clearance check. If the values are within the stipulated metrics, there's nothing to to worry.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 09:28   #6745
BHPian

Quote:
Valve clearance in my experience goes out of spec every 5k kms itself. SVC folks have no clue on how to regularly check and maintain the valve clearances. They only do so when the bike goes in for an engine rebuild by which point its too late. .Buy a German car or a European bike and you've got to be proactive as hell to save your ownership experience from going down the toilet.
Thanks Ishaanlan,

About 5k kms is what even I have gathered by reading this thread. The fact that they take this particular maintenance so lightly is what annoys me. At first they told me, valve clearance goes out of spec at 40k kms, can you believe this BS. I told them the manual doesn't state 40k but 15k to check the clearance. After which they changed their statement accordingly. Head rebuild is not something I look for in the future.

My bike has done close to 13k kms and has started developing a faint ticking sound. I am almost certain that it's the clearance being out of spec. I am planning to sort this out in march. I am not using my 390 much now.

Quote:
Though they recommend to inspect the clearances, they don't necessarily recommend to replace the shims at each and every clearance check. If the values are within the stipulated metrics, there's nothing to to worry.
Cheers!
VJ
Thanks VJ,

Very true but unless it's been checked it's not possible to know for sure if it's out of spec or not and thus requiring a shim change or not.
Old 25th January 2023, 21:20   #6746
BHPian

I have a 2014 390,done 45000 kms , perfectly maintained, and was worried about the valve clearence right from the beginning and the SVC's I visit had no clue about this .
Most of these kms were clocked from 2014 to 2017 and I wasn't using the bike much after that ,now I started seriously riding again and did a full check up and the again I was thinking of getting the valve clearence done ,but the service guys are saying there is no abnormal sound so just leave it alone .

I ride with my ear plugs and don't love the sound of the the 390,( love the inline 4's so i have no clue .

I don't baby the bike so at this point 45k kms I'm a bit worried abou the valve clearence.
Love to know how to go about this .
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20221219_175258_992.jpg  

slalom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 11:17   #6747
BHPian

My bike's chain is becoming loose very frequently. This is creating a lot of chain noise and chain slack.

Any possible causes of this issue and troubleshooting advice that I can receive would be very helpful. I have absolutely no clue as to how to solve this issue as I am an absolute noob in technicals. And I am a little scared to take it to my neighbourhood mechanic.
Old 26th January 2023, 11:48   #6748
BHPian

Quote:
Valve clearance in my experience goes out of spec every 5k kms itself and you're right; SVC folks have no clue on how to regularly check and maintain the valve clearances.
Every 5k kms ?
I've done 31k kms in the last 4.5yrs and the ASC has never recommended valve clearance check to date, neither have I heard any ticking sound as many have mentioned. Am I ignorant or is my bike actually in good shape that I can't notice that peculiar sound ? Should I get the clearances checked in my next service ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
My bike's chain is becoming loose very frequently. This is creating a lot of chain noise and chain slack. Any possible causes of this issue and troubleshooting advice that I can receive would be very helpful.
How long ago/how many kilometres back did you get your chain and sprocket changed ? Have you made sure your chain tension bolts are tight ?
My last chain and sprocket lasted 13k kms, with me regularly cleaning, lubricating it and adjusting chain tension myself. After that, it started getting loose very frequently and chain noise came in so I got it changed. My first chain also lasted just 15k kms so I guess this is the maximum mileage in our riding conditions. Try getting an aftermarket sprocket if you want to play with gearing, I've done 4k kms with mine and I'm very happy with it. You can read my experience in post #6720.
Hope this helps !
Yash390 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 12:25   #6749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yash390 View Post

How long ago/how many kilometres back did you get your chain and sprocket changed ? Have you made sure your chain tension bolts are tight ?
My last chain and sprocket lasted 13k kms, with me regularly cleaning, lubricating it and adjusting chain tension myself. After that, it started getting loose very frequently and chain noise came in so I got it changed. My first chain also lasted just 15k kms so I guess this is the maximum mileage in our riding conditions. Try getting an aftermarket sprocket if you want to play with gearing, I've done 4k kms with mine and I'm very happy with it. You can read my experience in post #6720.
Hope this helps !
As of now, my bike has run 95xx kms. I lube my chain every 500 kms and clean it every 2000 kms. I have no clue on how to adjust chain tension; would really appreciate if you can instruct me on how to do it.
Old 26th January 2023, 23:48   #6750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
My bike's chain is becoming loose very frequently. This is creating a lot of chain noise and chain slack.

Any possible causes of this issue and troubleshooting advice that I can receive would be very helpful. I have absolutely no clue as to how to solve this issue as I am an absolute noob in technicals. And I am a little scared to take it to my neighbourhood mechanic.
The owner's manual recommends to adjust the chain slack, clean and lube the chain every 500 KMS and earlier depending on the condition of the chain. A loose chain isn't a problem, but a loose chain, with zero lube and a "loose" rider, can perhaps make a chain go kaput way sooner than its intended life and also causes power loss, slapping and the overall ride a sore experience.

Sai, I would recommend you get your slack adjusted at your local mechanic. Most local mechanics are adept in slacking, cleaning and lubing the chain provided your are present and you can let them know what processes need to be carried out to your satisfaction.

Hope it helps! Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalom View Post
I have a 2014 390,done 45000 kms , perfectly maintained, and was worried about the valve clearence right from the beginning and the SVC's I visit had no clue about this .

I ride with my ear plugs and don't love the sound of the the 390,( love the inline 4's so i have no clue .

I don't baby the bike so at this point 45k kms I'm a bit worried abou the valve clearence.
Love to know how to go about this .
If you haven't bothered to check to-date and your engine is running good with no loss in performance metrics, then I think considering the age and the KMS run it's better to get the clearances checked at a proper KTM Probiking Showroom or a multi-brand superbike garage in and around your vicinity. They would do a good job at it. Though you don't love the sound of your KTM, you wouldn't like the sound of it when the engine blows up and spits parts and blows both your ear plugs off to remind you. Carry the necessary maintenance it deserves and it will serve you for the long run.

Good luck.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks