Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2014, 12:44   #31
BHPian

Re: Pulsar 220: FI to Carb conversion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslayer View Post
Sathish, your posts have been really helpful! Thanks a ton. I've been having months old conflict in my mind of whether to continue with the fuel pump or to convert to carb.

I do have a couple of queries though.

Is the cost of said Avenger carb much less than that of the 220s? Weren't you given an estimate close to 7k by other mechanics?

Any idea if they had to mess with the wiring to make the conversion work? I'm assuming no, since they malfunction light is still on.

Lastly, what of the gaping hole on the underside of the tank now that there's no fuel pump there?

It's been a couple of months since you've made the conversion, do you still think the conversion was the right decision?

Slayer, I see that you are from chennai. If you go to Jai autos in Mambalam or Adayar they should be able to get you the same spares if you quote the partnumber in bill copy i posted. I am not sure if the same carb is used in avenger or it is different one, but I do know that it is not the same one used for the newer 220 pulsars. The cost of 7K quoted was an approximation only, once I got spares to the mechanic he only charged 1K for labor which included welding fuel tap in petrol tank. No wiring was changed to my knowledge and the fuel pump was only disconnected as I dont see any holes that were sealed in petrol tank.

Getting the job done by Bajaj probiking might cost you more as they might insist on changing the petrol tank and might not agree to do a weld job. If you have a trusted mechanic my strong recomm would be to get the job done by him.

To this day, the bike runs very well, the only thing missing is the crisp throttle response that I used to experience with FI-noticable if the bike is in 5th gear and you have to brake/accelarate (I guess you already know what I am talking about )

P.S: If you are somewhere near tambaram/chromepet/pallavaram area, please PM me and i can give you the contact number of my mechanic.
Old 25th July 2014, 22:01   #32
BHPian

Just over a year from my last post on this thread - my 220's fuel pump failed last week. I have ordered the fuel pump and will be getting it replaced this weekend.

I did contemplate switching to carb, but I think I'd give the good old FI one chance to redeem itself.
Old 28th July 2014, 22:32   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Just over a year from my last post on this thread - my 220's fuel pump failed last week. I have ordered the fuel pump and will be getting it replaced this weekend.

I did contemplate switching to carb, but I think I'd give the good old FI one chance to redeem itself.
Hi Ricci,

How much has ur bike run? mine has done around 48k 2007 fi. I have been anticipating the fuel pump failure from last 3 years but it still going strong. Here are the latest pics-

Pulsar 220: FI to Carb conversion?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1406566817.437262.jpg

Pulsar 220: FI to Carb conversion?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1406566895.750045.jpg

Btw, I remember your posts on Orkut. Those 'my pulsar is better than ur karizma' fights. Ur DP is still the same Good ol'days, good ol'bike. Great to see you here bro!

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Old 29th July 2014, 20:55   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep.pandya View Post
Hi Ricci,

How much has ur bike run? mine has done around 48k 2007 fi.
Btw, I remember your posts on Orkut. Those 'my pulsar is better than ur karizma' fights. Ur DP is still the same Good ol'days, good ol'bike. Great to see you here bro!
ah, those were the days ! Somewhere on some forum, those still ensue among younger recruits to biking . oh wait, we have some here too

Mine's done just 34-35k. I got the pump and a relay/switch near the battery replaced, the new pump seems noisier but as long as it works reliably , not a big deal.
Old 1st October 2021, 19:26   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post

Reviving this old thread i guess, have an old 2007 fi and the pump finally gave up last year. I did get the replacement pump somehow and got the bike running after a bit of an engine rebuild as well but it has started having engine stalling issues during idle or when rolling with throttle closed.

During the rebuild, the mech did suggest switching to carb due to lack of spare/service support but I wanted to keep FI if possible.

Just wanted opinions on if it's time I gave up on the FI and switched to carb, at least this way I can step out for a short ride without worrying about the bike shutting off and all that. I'm in Hyderabad and don't see any other mech who could help me with this, not sure if someone in Pune/Bangalore can help this aging motorcycle.

Any suggestions would be appreciated greatly.
forcooler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2021, 01:35   #36
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcooler View Post
Any suggestions would be appreciated greatly.
Complete Harness would need to be changed, a sensible choice would be to go for the BS4 Harness as it lacks a lot of sensors, contactless switches etc etc.

So to sum it.

1. Wiring Harness
2. CDI
3. RR Unit
4. Magnet
5. Stator
6. Ignition Coils
7. Carburetor
8. Left and Right Switch Sets
9. Speedometer

After this yours would be a Factory DTSi motorcycle with which you can criss cross the length and breadth of the country if you feel like it.

Cheers,
A.P.

Most Viewed