Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2010, 20:28   #1
BHPian

GPS Navigation for Bikes

Hi,

Any one using a GPS on your bike. Are Motorcycle mounts available in India. Need a GPS for long rides and rally so need a device that can last and is rugged. Garmin motorcycle devices seem to be very expencive are their any other options ?

Rajnish
Old 20th March 2010, 23:46   #2
BHPian

MapmyIndia TrailBlazer : First Bike GPS navigator in India| Loaded with all India maps

Check it out man. But I guess it is pretty expensive!!!
Old 21st March 2010, 06:34   #3
BHPian

I have been using a Garmin 76CSx for over 3 years now. Its an overkill for purely bike based navigation, but i use it for my forest work as well.

I have an excellent basemap covering over 400 towns and cities and can get turn by turn directions in the smallest of towns.

A basic Garmin GPS of the eTrex series is more than enough. if you are ok with a monochrome LCD you could get one for around 7k, perhaps even lesser.

For use as a touring navigator, the key really is to have a good basemap. That i cant discuss online! PM karo.

Last edited by COUGAR : 21st March 2010 at 06:36.
Old 28th June 2013, 10:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

GPS Navigator for Bikes launched by MapMyIndia

Quote:
The device has an 8.9-inch touch-screen and features such as music, pictures and movies. It is pre-loaded with a 'Don’t Panic' software which is a brand-new GPS interface by MapmyIndia.

Drawing charge directly from the bike's battery, the device comes with a special bike clamp mount to hold the gadget steadily against the handlebar. Riders or pillion riders within a range of 3 metres from the device can listen to the voice instructions via a Bluetooth headset.

Packaged along with a bike mount, bike charger, USB data cable, stylus, and a helmet voice instruction receiver, the device is priced at a one-time cost of Rs. 16,990 with no recurring usage charges and no dependence on Internet and mobile network for navigation. The price may seem steep but the device has many qualities currently not available on car-based systems. For instance, it is water- and-dust-proof, which make it ideal for bike travel.
Full report here:

http://www.zigwheels.com/news-featur...r-bikes/16710/

GPS Navigation for Bikes-mapmyindiabikegpspndtrailblazer2main1_560x420.jpg

GPS Navigation for Bikes-mapmyindiabikegpsnavigationpndtrailblazer2main2_560x420.jpg

Last edited by _raVan_ : 28th June 2013 at 10:09.
_raVan_ is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th June 2013, 12:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

re: GPS Navigation for Bikes

Can this device be used in car also?
Old 28th June 2013, 13:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Can this device be used in car also?
I don't see any reason why you cannot use it in a car. But any reason why you would want a relatively pricey sat nav in your car with a much smaller display than a dedicated car sat nav?

May be for some extreme off-roading, you need the dust-proofing and water-proofing?

Cheers!
Viju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2013, 13:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
I don't see any reason why you cannot use it in a car. But any reason why you would want a relatively pricey sat nav in your car with a much smaller display than a dedicated car sat nav?

May be for some extreme off-roading, you need the dust-proofing and water-proofing?

Cheers!
I need a device that can be used both in car as well as on my bike.Having a seperate devices seems to be impractical .Currently am using a Garmin nuvi 215 with mmi maps which is not waterproof.
Old 28th June 2013, 15:40   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

17K in my opinion is very pricey for a PND. A few months ago, I purchased a MMI GPS device for my car at 12K which I thought was pricey for the quality that they are providing. At best, it feels like a Chinese mobile handset. I don't expect the build quality in this new device to be totally top notch going by their old products. Also, the built in battery has a very poor stand-by time.
Old 28th June 2013, 15:50   #9
BHPian

This seems like a good option. But I was in market looking for a wristband which can hold my Lumia so that i can use that as my gps device.
Anyone aware of any such options available?
Old 28th June 2013, 17:12   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
This seems like a good option. But I was in market looking for a wristband which can hold my Lumia so that i can use that as my gps device.
Anyone aware of any such options available?
You get an arm pouch for devices in Landmark. One of my friend got it for his S4 and he vouches by it.

its not worn on the wrist but on the arm.
Old 29th June 2013, 03:43   #11
BHPian

Why spend 17k for a stand alone gps when you can spend a little over few thousands and source a handle bar mount with waterproof case in which you can place your phone and navigate? I've always done that and I still do it. I did a round trip from hyderabad-delhi-leh-delhi-hyderabad using this setup and trust me, it's cost effective and it WORKS!

EDIT :

A little expensive but a worth it mount : http://www.rammount.com/Home/tabid/37/Default.aspx

Last edited by kingofmyworld : 29th June 2013 at 03:46.
kingofmyworld is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2013, 06:02   #12
BHPian

I use google voice navigation on my bike. Key in the destination, plug in the earphones and its done
akshay380 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2013, 11:57   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofmyworld View Post
Why spend 17k for a stand alone gps when you can spend a little over few thousands and source a handle bar mount with waterproof case in which you can place your phone and navigate? I've always done that and I still do it. I did a round trip from hyderabad-delhi-leh-delhi-hyderabad using this setup and trust me, it's cost effective and it WORKS!

EDIT :

A little expensive but a worth it mount : http://www.rammount.com/Home/tabid/37/Default.aspx
Currently am using my Garmin with ram mounts for the bike.
Old 12th October 2017, 02:00   #14
Senior - BHPian

What Navigation unit or maps to use on bike.

Basically looking for standalone unit for using on motorcycle. I am open to either a Navigation unit or maps to be used on iPhone.

What I am looking for is reasonably priced unit with a basic function of navigation only. Anything else would be a bonus.
Planning for a long ride so feel the need for it. Google maps are not highly accurate and at times misleading and a lot dependent on network.
Are their any tried and tested navigation apps for iOS or any Navigation unit which most of our riders on here prefer as per their experience?
I don't mind the paper maps either but which ones and where to get it.

Any help appreciated!
Old 12th October 2017, 04:43   #15
BANNED

Re: What Navigation unit or maps to use on bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
Planning for a long ride so feel the need for it. Google maps are not highly accurate and at times misleading and a lot dependent on network.
Is this observation specific to a city? I find Google maps and live traffic routing to be very useful. While on rides in the desert, I download large areas for offline usage. I downloaded offline maps for London over wifi, and was able to walk around the city in airplane mode with GPS on, without any issues. I have used the inbuilt GPS on my Toyota Prius, and compared with Google Maps on my Galaxy S8. I find the positional accuracy to be same as the Prius (with a standalone GPS antenna).

People used to swear by Garmin Zumo. But now I see one star reviews on Amazon about bugs and flawed software. For $800 I would super mad to own an unusable device.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks