Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2014, 13:32   #286
BHPian

Re: KTM RC390 - Now Launched for Rs. 2.05 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
- RC was not tested with Metzelers. The US version is having another tire as stock?
The first track test was with stock tryres. The second round of tests was more of an aftermarket tyres test that the bikes themselves. That is why it was not compared to the stock timings.

Last edited by Cyrus_the_virus : 27th November 2014 at 13:44.
Old 11th December 2014, 20:52   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
I saw two RC390's on the road today, so that's a relief to those waiting for a long time.
Now, waiting for the Test Ride.
I was able to get the Test Ride of RC390, today, courtesy KTM Marathahalli. Thanks KTM.

I loved the ride and took another spin with a pillion - no complaints except for the usual ones:

(a) ORVMs are useless in stock position
(b) Struggle at 10-20kmph in 2nd gear
(c) Rattlesnake

Best part - I loved the riding position and find my Karizma's (2003) painful

Will take another spin in traffic before booking the RC390.
Old 11th December 2014, 21:28   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Best part - I loved the riding position and find my Karizma's (2003) painful

Will take another spin in traffic before booking the RC390.
I never thought I'd ever read/hear such a statement ! I'm just trying to delay test-riding it myself , because I'm afraid if I do, I'll be tempted to replace my 220 ( and the 675 which I fear to ride close to the limits - too fast for Indian traffic sense(lessness) and repair costs ). The RC390 might just be that exact optimum solution of exciting enough and inexpensive enough to ride without thinking of what it will cost to fix if you crash it !
Old 12th December 2014, 03:44   #289
Distinguished - BHPian

Rocky Balboa:

" Struggle at 10-20kmph in 2nd gear" ?

IMO, this is to be expected.

The KTM RC390 engine is not like the Royal Enfields. It is a high reving design which is not designed to be ridden with the engine barely above idle speeds.

While the slow running Royal Enfield UCE that produces its maximum horsepower at 5250 rpm can chug along at low revs, the KTM produces its peak power at 9000 rpm.

Engines that produce their maximum power at high rpm rarely run well at low speeds. They are only happy while they are freely spinning along at higher engine speeds which basically means, let the engine wind up a bit before shifting.
ArizonaJim is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2014, 16:29   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
I never thought I'd ever read/hear such a statement !
Ricci,

I was pleasantly surprised (and shocked) too and have started feeling the itch literally in the palms and wrists; while riding the Karizma after. Though i rode the RC390 in traffic, I couldnt test it in peak hour like traffic; which is the only criteria stopping me from booking it already.
I am sold though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
" Struggle at 10-20kmph in 2nd gear" ?
IMO, this is to be expected.
Yes ArizonaJim.
I didnt notice the RPM I was at, but distinctly remember taking a speed-breaker in 2nd and finding the RC390 struggle. Come to think of it, I must have been dead slow and that explains it.
Old 12th December 2014, 16:51   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Ricci,

Yes ArizonaJim.
I didnt notice the RPM I was at, but distinctly remember taking a speed-breaker in 2nd and finding the RC390 struggle. Come to think of it, I must have been dead slow and that explains it.
RC390 does indeed struggle at anything less than 25 kph in 2nd gear. Mine has done 1100 kms and it only now that I can go over bumps in 2nd gear at around 20 kph. Even that requires some clutch input to prevent knocking.
Old 12th December 2014, 16:54   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
you are right. Even the 390 Duke splutters, knocks, jerks and curses while ridden at low speeds (below 4K RPM on any gear). As per my experience you can't (or won't) go to 2nd gear until 25-30kmph.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2014, 20:53   #293
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys,

My friend is planning to do 500Km long ride on a brand new RC390. He was asking me what speed and rpm to be maintained. Please give your inputs.

NB: He is yet to receive the bike.
Old 12th December 2014, 21:45   #294
BHPian

@ecenandu- just my 2cents with regard to new bikes

I think generally a long trip on a brand new bike/engine is not recommended. To run-in the engine properly, you need to rev the bike within the manufacturer recommended limit. It shouldnot be maintained at same rpm level rather you should continuously vary the rpm level with occasional bursts and with a lot of engine - braking, which is required to bed in the various engine components. And change engine oil & oil filter at 500kms or atleast at 1000kms.

This style of riding is most suitable for in-city ride with traffic. And not really possible on a 500km trip!
stormy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2014, 22:04   #295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Hey guys,

My friend is planning to do 500Km long ride on a brand new RC390. He was asking me what speed and rpm to be maintained. Please give your inputs.

The manual suggests 7.5k rpm for the first 1000km. That's around 120-130 kmph in 6th gear! This is the best thing about the 390s. No running in worries
Suraj25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2014, 02:55   #296
Distinguished - BHPian

Some may have no "running in worries" but staying within the recommended break in rpm's is important.

Also as noted, using light acceleration and deceleration and avoiding running the engine at the same speeds is important with any new vehicle.

Water cooled engines are less likely to need short "cooling off" periods than air cooled engines during the break in period but IMO it is a good idea to give even a water cooled engine as many 'heat up' and 'cool down' cycles as possible.

These cycles create the expansion and contraction needed for the internal parts to 'wear in' to one another gradually.
It may not make any noticeable difference in the short term but the engine life will be noticeably greater in the long term.
ArizonaJim is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th December 2014, 15:25   #297
Team-BHP Support

KTM is rumoured to be considering the introduction of a slipper clutch on its RC range of motorcycles.

Link to Team-BHP News Article

Last edited by Aditya : 1st January 2015 at 08:46.
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 09:38   #298
BHPian

This (rumor of the slipper clutch) was also mentioned in the PowerDrift review of the RC 390. Can KTM/Bajaj actually go out and do this so soon after launching the RCs? Wouldn't they be offending the early adopters? I personally don't think they will do this so soon.
Old 30th December 2014, 11:30   #299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Hey guys,

Please go through this-> http://www.vincesmotorcyclestore.com/myths.html#engine

It's lucid.

The man who has penned this down is a reputed Royal Enfield mechanic in the United States.

Cheers,

Jay

Last edited by JayPrashanth : 30th December 2014 at 11:31.
JayPrashanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 13:07   #300
BHPian

Almost 2000kms on the RC390 now. Thought id jot down my current experiences.

> The riders seat does not feel as bad as it did right after delivery. I guess my rear side has adapted quite a bit to the otherwise very hard riders seat. Anything around 90 to 120 minutes on the seat constantly is not a problem. Ive heard rumour of a better padded seat for RC being on its way.

> The itch of riding it to work once every few days ensures that i put some commuting miles also. Hence i can say now that its not as harsh in the city as i had felt earlier on. Its just that Mumbai roads are utterly shameful to ride anything sporty on 2 wheels. The front suspension is extremely committed and feels track tuned. I keep my wrist watch in my backpack while riding, however rear suspension moves around a bit as the adjustable rear helps versatility.

> The range is a real problem as i feel terrible to visit the gas station so often, i have no complains about the mileage though.

> The handle bar grips was a serious issue when the bike was new but looks like my hands have adapted quite ok with time. Would still change them soon.

Last edited by Technocrat : 30th December 2014 at 22:02. Reason: We do not allow posting high speed runs on the forum, thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks