Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2013, 09:27   #46

Re: Honda Activa-i : Ready to Fly

Rohan-

Excellent write-up. Mind if you can share the on-road cost ? Also, what accessories did you get ? Mind if I also ask what's the dealership you used ?

Thanks
Old 12th September 2013, 19:00   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpbs_bak View Post
Excellent write-up. Mind if you can share the on-road cost ? Also, what accessories did you get ? Mind if I also ask what's the dealership you used ?
I purchased my Activa-i from Haiku Honda on Old Airport Road, Domlur.

The cost breakup is as follows:
- Ex-showroom = 47,104
- Road Tax + Smart Card = 5,629
- Insurance = 1,347
- Extended Warranty = 610

Accessories:
- Seat Cover = 270
- Handle Grip = 140
- Side Stand = 270
- Number Plates = 250
- Ladies Foot Rest = 630
- Fender Guard = 300
- All Round Guard = 750
- Front Armour Guard = 630
- Rubber Mat = 260

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2013, 19:43   #48
BHPian

Made the payment for the Activa-i, purple colour for my wife today and will be taking delivery tomorrow.

It will be the first 2 wheeler for the wifey, so lot's of excitement and anxiety...

The dealership do have good margins set on the accessories, so planning to get only the basic stuff and probably get the rest of it from JC road, Bangalore.

Hope the Honda quality and reliability lives up as expected but the only envisaged bottleneck is the A.S.S. Hope Sapphire Honda, kanakapura road provides the requisite service...

On the whole, the buying experience was nothing much to write about as the sales guys in this showroom are real young chaps - more like II PUC students. So it's better that we are well informed from other sources on the product. They are more interested in pushing people to book the scooter and selling the overpriced accessories.

Hoping the delivery will be a hassle free one.

Thanks everyone for the review and the comments on the A-i, it been a real help.

Cheers,
Sats

Last edited by sats : 12th September 2013 at 19:44.
Old 13th September 2013, 09:31   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sats View Post
Made the payment for the Activa-i, purple colour for my wife today and will be taking delivery tomorrow.

It will be the first 2 wheeler for the wifey, so lot's of excitement and anxiety...

The dealership do have good margins set on the accessories, so planning to get only the basic stuff and probably get the rest of it from JC road, Bangalore.
Congrats on your Activa-i. How long was the waiting period ? Please keep updating your experiences.

I do agree that the accessories are over-priced at the Honda Dealerships.

I purchased all accessories from Honda Dealership since Activa-i was a new model and so I felt that the accessories may not be easily available in the outside stores. But that was 2 months back, I hope the accessories are available now in JC road etc.

Please install the front armour and all round guard if your wife is a learner. Even otherwise, these guards provide protection from getting scratched by other vehicles when parked closely.

Rohan

Last edited by rohan_iitr : 13th September 2013 at 09:34.
Old 22nd September 2013, 18:44   #50
Senior - BHPian

Another mileage update :

My Activa-i has now done almost 400 kms and been returning a steady mileage just above 45 kmpl.

I am happy with the mileage considering the fact that it is used mostly for short runs and in city traffic conditions.

No issues to report, touch wood. Except for the starting trouble it gives when left unused for 4-5 days. When used daily or after a day's rest, it comes to life with a single kick.

Rohan
Old 25th September 2013, 10:30   #51

sats-

which dealership was it, if you don't mind me asking ? I am talking to saphire in kanakapura rd and their costing seems a bit high

Quote:
Originally Posted by sats View Post

Cheers,
Sats
Old 3rd October 2013, 02:38   #52
BHPian

Congrats the Activa and Activa-i Owners here.

I am thinking of buying one for myself, purpose is short distance travel
picking up kids from school, taking car there wastes extra 20 minutes due to traffic.
and other household work which is not beyond 4-5 kms in most cases.

Currently I am riding a 16 years OLD LML Vespa Select for above purpose.
This scooter was kept in store room for 5 years and was Jammed, then in 2011, I got it repaired/serviced and it started working again, however it has lots of issues.

Its working, but has problems, I can get it fixed but I hate kick starting it,
It usually tries to break my ankle once in a week, but I've survived all those bruises till now :-)

It had auto-start which has not worked in a decade now.
Insurance companies don't want to insure such a old scooter and traffic cops love to stop me, I always take a "U TURN" and run with this fear.
The pot holes and bad roads in my town make me feel that my heart would sink to my stomach if few more are jerks are felt...

Sorry for making this little hilarious but seriously guys I am in pain of a old scooter.

Can someone please Help me decide.
Should I buy a Activa or get this junk repaired ?

I hate kick starting it, and with smoothness of Activa and other similar rides I am more inclined towards buying a new one which can make me cover these small distances without worries.

Recently rode on Activa, Pleasure, Ray Z and all are looking tempting.

Bike is out of question as Wife fears it a lot.
Old 3rd October 2013, 08:10   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
My Activa-i has now done almost 400 kms and been returning a steady mileage just above 45 kmpl.

I am happy with the mileage considering the fact that it is used mostly for short runs and in city traffic conditions.
I just saw an ad where actor Akshay Kumar promises that every Honda vehicle comes now with an unmatched mileage of 60kmpl. I guess thats an overstatement, but the mileage you have achieved is remarkable. Do you maintain the economy speed (marked on the guage) or sometimes go for the run.
Old 3rd October 2013, 09:20   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I just saw an ad where actor Akshay Kumar promises that every Honda vehicle comes now with an unmatched mileage of 60kmpl. I guess thats an overstatement, but the mileage you have achieved is remarkable. Do you maintain the economy speed (marked on the guage) or sometimes go for the run.
AFAIK, 60kmpl is the ARAI mileage under test conditions for Honda scooters.

It would be unfair to expect the same mileage in heavy city traffic with lot of rapid acceleration and braking, and lot of idling at traffic signals. Also my vehicle is mostly used for short runs, meaning the engine never reaches its optimum temperature, which also adds to reduction in mileage.

I am happy since I'm getting 75% of the ARAI certified mileage in real life conditions.

I do have a defensive driving style, I try to avoid sudden acceleration and braking and do not overspeed.

I try to cruise at 50kmph when the traffic permits. The scooter is in the run in period right now, hence not exceeding 50kmph. But even after the run in period, I wouldn't be going above 60kmph on this scooter.

Rohan
Old 26th November 2013, 11:06   #55
Senior - BHPian

Got the Activa-i serviced in mid November (2nd free service).

2nd free service happens 3 months after the 1st free service. (total 120 days from the date of purchase)

I missed the 120 day mark, went on the 121st day. But Honda Service Centre never complained regarding the same and honoured the free service.

Engine oil was changed and general checkup performed. Engine feels still smoother and peppier after oil change.

I mentioned to the service advisor that it gives problems during cold start - if the scooter is left idling for 4-5 days, it takes more than 10-15 kicks (with choke engaged) to bring it to life.

The service advisor blamed it on the winter weather.
Obviously this is a known issue with Honda scooters and it seems there is no solution to this.

If I'm using the scooter after 4-5 days, I pull the choke and wait for 2 minutes (I clean the scooter in the meantime). Then I try kick starting the scooter. It takes anywhere between 15 and 25 kicks to get it started if the scooter is left idling for more than 4-5 days.

The scooter is out of the 500 kms run-in period. Expect a drop in the next FE update because I'm using the throttle more liberally now.

Apart from the cold start issue and harsh suspensions, I'm loving the scooter.

Rohan
Old 26th November 2013, 13:27   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
If I'm using the scooter after 4-5 days, I pull the choke and wait for 2 minutes (I clean the scooter in the meantime). Then I try kick starting the scooter. It takes anywhere between 15 and 25 kicks to get it started if the scooter is left idling for more than 4-5 days.
Try this the next time -- Leave the ignition in off position, don't pull the choke. Kick the scoot for about 5-6 times. Then use the choke and try starting. This might help.
abhinav.s is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2013, 13:07   #57

Can someone tell me a good helmet brand (especially that which fits into active-i compartment - I saw one post where the poster said his wife's helmet didn't fit in...).
Old 28th November 2013, 14:21   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can someone tell me a good helmet brand (especially that which fits into active-i compartment - I saw one post where the poster said his wife's helmet didn't fit in...).
Please see the images in the first page of this thread. I have given a photo of my Vega brand full face helmet comfortably placed inside the underseat storage of Activa-i.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2013, 06:01   #59

Thanks Rohan - yes I saw your pic before but noticed only "Marlboro" and so wanted to know the brand I see it is a Vega now. Will search other threads for places to buy a similar brand (cost, dealer..)

Btw, is there a 'checklist' to take during delivery - my delivery date is due now...before I go there, just wanted to make sure I cover all points to note during taking possession of the scooter..

TIA
Old 29th November 2013, 10:05   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Rohan - yes I saw your pic before but noticed only "Marlboro" and so wanted to know the brand I see it is a Vega now. Will search other threads for places to buy a similar brand (cost, dealer..)

Btw, is there a 'checklist' to take during delivery - my delivery date is due now...before I go there, just wanted to make sure I cover all points to note during taking possession of the scooter..

TIA
Just do a visual inspection and make sure that there are no scratches, dents or cracks anywhere.

Also check that all electricals - lights, indicators, horn, fuel guage etc are working properly.

If you are buying any accessories from the Honda dealer, ensure that everything has been fitted properly.

Congratulations on your purchase and wishing you a trouble free ownership.

Rohan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks