Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2013, 01:17   #16
BHPian

Re: 2 Wheeler Conspicuity - Increasing Visibility On Road

When it's raining, it's nearly impossible to tell from looking in your ORVMs whether there's a bike on the road behind/beside you. I have been taken by surprise several times when bikes have overtaken me during rains, as I did not know they were there.

So, the TeamBHP advice of turning on your headlamps in the rainy season (or even otherwise) holds good, it can prevent some accidents I feel.
EagleEye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2013, 09:47   #17
Senior - BHPian

The best way I feel is to turn on the headlights during the day as well. This is very useful especially on highways since you can be noticed from a distance on a long stretch. In city, the problem with using headlamps during the day is that every tom, dick and harry will go to the extent of even jumping in front of your bike just to inform you the lights are on, like their family has provided the battery or dyno on your bike free of cost.

Reflective stickers as well reflective badges are very useful on the bike. I have them both on my bikes since I travel early morning and late nights to and fro from office with lot of crazy yellow board traffic all around.

Regarding the accident posted on Accidents thread in Bangalore, it is always advised to stay to the left side of the road during early morning/late nights when the signal is red since others will not follow signals at that time, not that many do during the day. But, who knows if the rider was actually on the left itself and was run over.
At the end, fate is not in our hands.

Regards
tharian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2013, 10:02   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
There's a saying in Tamil & it goes, If one cannot see a cow in bright daylight, how can they ever see a buffalo in the dark?
Speaking about buffalos, it reminds me to add - be extra careful at dawn and twilight especially on highways, especially when around villages. The light at that time is of a wavelength which significantly reduces contrast and prevents you from making out indistinct shapes. In my younger days I once went head on with my KB100 RTZ into the skull of a buffalo. The front end of my bike was smashed, the buffalo walked away probably with a mild headache.
Old 26th July 2013, 10:03   #19
BHPian

One of the best ways to stay visible is to use a reflective safety vest called a tabard.

Wear it over your riding jacket at all times, even in the day, it really increases your visibility especially at night.

I have been using them on most of my rides for a couple of years now.

The advantage is you wear it so even when you park by the side of the road with your ignition off, you are visible.
motocamp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2013, 10:33   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motocamp View Post
One of the best ways to stay visible is to use a reflective safety vest called a tabard.

Wear it over your riding jacket at all times, even in the day, it really increases your visibility especially at night.

I have been using them on most of my rides for a couple of years now.

The advantage is you wear it so even when you park by the side of the road with your ignition off, you are visible.
Can you give us a link or point to purchase it from. Will be useful for many like you said.

Regards
Old 26th July 2013, 12:08   #21
BHPian

Good perceptions out here. You cant always wear bright clothings, you need to dress for the occasion. IMO DRLs are the best way to grab attention. Never venture out on highway without reflective strips on helmet.

Always overtake from the right side with horn and keep the lights on all the time. Please and please avoid overtaking from the left, specially larger vehicles, they can not see you after you crossed mid way of the vehicle.

And the most important point, maintain consistent speed and flow with the traffic. Do not do sudden stops.

And no cell phones please. This is a grave situation. I had a self realization when I missed a turn once while talking on the phone.

Our roads have surprises on every corner, be attentive and drive safe.
Old 26th July 2013, 12:27   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
be extra careful at dawn and twilight especially on highways, especially when around villages
This one I agree more than 100%; I wouldn't just stop with villages, but anywhere I would say. I've personally felt hard to ride during dawn & dusk & I was thinking that I was getting hazy. It took several months for me to realize it was due to the day change.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2013, 13:19   #23
BHPian

This is indeed a good point to be brought up. A motorcyclist is at the higher end of risk on our roads along with pedestrians and cyclists. As a rider, I learnt the importance of being conspicuous after i started driving. Suddenly riding seemed very very dangerous.
Thankfully I ride a bright orange bike that definitely ups the visibility for other road users several notches.

Apart from that I always ride with my Parking lights - a poor excuse for DRLS but the tail lamps keep glowing which is a plus. Next whenever I enter a tunnel/underpass I automatically reach for the headlights.

A white & Red helmet does work. And the next step is to get a riding jacket with reflecting strips. As of now im wearing a normal wind cheater.

Whenever I stop on the side of the road for anything at all, I make sure my right indicator is on - a jugaad for the hazard lights.

And yes as someone mentioned, when you want to follow the rules make sure you are not a hindrance to someone who wants to break the rules. Stick to your extreme left. Greatly improves our chances.

But yes, the eventual truth is be prepared from your end, and then trust your luck/blessings/karma/god to pull you out.

cheers!
Old 26th July 2013, 13:35   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace View Post
Whenever I stop on the side of the road for anything at all, I make sure my right indicator is on - a jugaad for the hazard lights.
If you're stopping on the left side of the road (where you should), use your left indicators. Use your right indicators only when you're ready to move onto the road again, signalling that you're going to enter the first lane of the road.

I guess nobody teaches these things here in India which is why there's widespread confusion about the right way of doing things.
Old 26th July 2013, 13:48   #25
Senior - BHPian

I wear a red color helmet. I have also bought one for my son who occasionally rides pillion with me. As far as possible, I also wear a conspicuous colored shirt while riding. If my son or wife is riding pillion, I ensure they wear similar colored clothing as well. In particular light conditions, I have also tied a bright colored scarf to the back of the grab rail for additional safety.

My number plates are of the reflective type. I don't mean just the letters, but the entire board. I also keep my tail / brake lights in perfect working condition.

It would be advisable to choose the two wheeler itself in some bright color and avoid black.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2013, 14:29   #26
Senior - BHPian

The truth of the matter is, as a part time cager I can tell you that the two most conspicuous thigs about a biker in your sight - either front on or in your mirrors - are his helmet and the lights of the bike.

That is all your eyes can and wil pick up. Next would be reflective, bright colored stuff - either on the rider or the bike. But 9 times out of 10 I have had friends tell me that they know its me for way back (or front) thanks to my all white helmet (a plain white helmet will always be more visible than one that has graphics incidentally).

In either case (front or back view) it is impossible to make out the color of the bike.
Old 26th July 2013, 14:29   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motocamp View Post

Did you mean something like:

(modisafety.com)
or
THIS thing!

The latter looks like a sweat machine but fairly colorful - like a national flag or something
Old 26th July 2013, 15:04   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
If you're stopping on the left side of the road (where you should), use your left indicators. Use your right indicators only when you're ready to move onto the road again, signalling that you're going to enter the first lane of the road.

I guess nobody teaches these things here in India which is why there's widespread confusion about the right way of doing things.
I'm sorry but yes i definitely do know that i use my indicator to indicate the direction i would like to take, and when I am stationary on the left side of the road which is obviously where I would stop on Indian roads, i indicate the right because thats where I am heading to when I start riding my bike again. Standing on the left side of the road and using is the left indicator is quite pointless imho.

My thinking goes that when anybody behind me sees the right indicator he assumes i'm ready to move out into traffic again and thereby maintaining a distance from me.

And yes contrary to what you might think a lot of us here in india have been taught the right things by our brothers/friends/driving school instructors/tbhp etc.
Old 26th July 2013, 15:07   #29
Senior - BHPian

The primary measure is to have protective gear on - atleast a proper helmet which is strapped on correctly/tightly. Most 2-wheeler deaths happen due to lack of helmets.

Secondary measure is to ensure a constant 360degree scanning of our immediate surroundings. This is something which we can do and in our control, rather than worrying about how to make others "see" us, which is not in our control. What I do (and which I am sure many others do here) is constantly keep moving my area of vision to all sides and rear (via the RVMs), instead of only focussing on the road ahead. So even when driving on a straight road which seems free of traffic, my eyes are constantly scanning
the junctions way up ahead to see if any vehicle/human/animal is getting onto the road. And then keep scanning the RVMs for any speeding vehicle coming towards me, especially cabs, Govt. buses, school/office buses and trucks and move away to let them pass, even if there is a slight hit to the ego - it is just not worth it to tango with them.
Old 26th July 2013, 17:28   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Can you give us a link or point to purchase it from. Will be useful for many like you said.

Regards
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Did you mean something like:
You can purchase reflective vests off Ebay - on a quick search this is what I got - http://www.ebay.in/sch/i.html?_trksi...at=0&_from=R40

Maybe that might be an overkill but it is best for long rides when you are riding alone etc.

Saw a good deal for the consisospucuity tape also - err reflective tape

http://www.ebay.in/itm/High-Intensit...item3cd39d1c70

Last edited by naveenroy : 26th July 2013 at 17:31. Reason: Update
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks