Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2013, 15:53   #1
Senior - BHPian

Honda begins Activa production at Narsapura factory

Link to News Section

Japanese two wheeler major Honda has kickstarted production of the Activa automatic scooter at its newly established Narsapura manufacturing facility, in Karnataka. Situated about 50 kilometers away from Bangalore, Honda's Narsapura factory is capable of producing 12 lakh two wheelers a year on two production lines.

Honda begins Activa production at Narsapura factory-honda-activa.jpg

While the first production line, which was made functional earlier this year, produces the Dream Yuga 110 motorcycles, the second line will be used for the Activa. The factory will be expanded by the first quarter of 2014, to produce 18 lakh two wheelers/year. Honda's Activa production at Narsapura is expected to cater to the southern states of the country.

Waiting periods times for this high demand scooter could go down as transport times will be reduced to Southern parts of India due to the strategic location of Honda's new factory. Also, the increased production capacity is expected to ease waiting periods for India's most popular automatic scooter. The Narsapura factory is Honda's third such facility in India, after the Manesar unit in Haryana and Tapukara facility at Rajasthan.

The Activa was the very first product from Honda for the Indian market, after the Japanese giant made a foray into the country, minus the Hero association. (Hero and Honda were in the near-3 decade Hero Honda joint venture until 2011) The Activa has been the two wheeler maker's best selling product so far with over 8 million examples of the automatic scooter finding homes in India.

The scooter is powered by a 110cc four stroke engine, which recently got an upgrade in the form of the mileage boosting Honda Efficiency Technology (HET). With the Narsapura factory, Honda's total annual production capacity in India will hit the 46 lakh units mark by the first quarter of next year.

Eyeing the top spot in the Indian market, Honda is targeting an annual sales of 10 million two wheelers in India by 2018. So, the Japanese two wheeler giant's production capacity will more than double in the coming years. Next year, Honda will showcase a two wheeler developed completely in India. The two wheeler giant has plans to launch a new product for each quarter, over the next few years.

Last edited by JayPrashanth : 26th July 2013 at 16:03. Reason: News Link Added
JayPrashanth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2013, 20:13   #2
BANNED

Re: Honda begins Activa production at Narsapura factory

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
The Activa has been the two wheeler maker's best selling product so far with over 8 million examples of the automatic scooter finding homes in India. The scooter is powered by a 110cc four stroke engine, which recently got an upgrade in the form of the mileage boosting Honda Efficiency Technology (HET).
I hope there is a powerful version of the Honda Activa with a change of design too. The design is getting a little too long in tooth but I guess Honda won't change when the scooters still sells well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
Next year, Honda will showcase a two wheeler developed completely in India. The two wheeler giant has plans to launch a new product for each quarter, over the next few years.
Hope they show bikes for both the commuter segment and the niche power segment. Get a good remake (internally I mean) for the CBR to capture the segment.

Cheers,
Anurag
Old 26th July 2013, 23:24   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda begins Activa production at Narsapura factory

Had been to the factory last week and it was a wonderful experience. Yes as per the news the Activas were being produced but at a slow rate, to make the workers get used to things. Currently there are two lines and a third one is being readied. Not sure which model it will cater to. Currently they are running at 1000 vehicles per day(as per the engineers) and the rate will slowly increase to 5000. As per a poster I saw there, fastest speed of production was 25 seconds for a Dream Yuga. When I observed, it was in the order of minutes. the rate was quite slow.

The waiting period for activa must now come down. However, the scooters are being built by newbies so I hope honda have done enough quality checks on these batches, in order to prevent niggles. Some of the scoots were pulled off the line in the middle and were being assembled manually. So I hope they do not prove to be lemons.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks