Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2013, 17:56   #1
BHPian

Track day at Kari Motor Speedway - Coimbatore

Madness. Its something that happens when 2 motorcycle enthusiasts (Myself and balenopower) based out of Mumbai who had been riding together since TeamBhp and Xbhp inception days decide to attend their first ever proper track day, When I say proper, it’s because balenopower had one outing at Kari for the Yamaha R15 press race. For me it was a first.

When I say first, myself and balenopower had been riding together to Lonavala/Amby, Igatpuri and some nearby places around Mumbai. We once did Mumbai-Goa via NH17 and we just used to wonder how much better than this will a race track be?

Years passed, bikes upgraded, riding experience at an all time high, better riding gear than before, but one thing didn’t change for good, in fact it was getting worse. Infrastructure. As the cornering speeds increased, so did the danger of falling prey to a minute mistake. The only way to satisfy this urge was in a closed environment. A Track. Poor political situation in the state, especially in the city, ensured that Mumbai was never going to get a race track. We then had two options, Coimbatore or Chennai?

Got ourselves enrolled with the group of Ninja 650 owners on one of their excursions at the Kari Motor Speedway - Coimbatore. Myself and balenopower had the Ninja250's but we decided to rent ourselves 2 R15's from Apex Racing as it was our first outing and knowing us, we didn't want to risk it.

Take a look.
Attached Thumbnails
Track day at Kari Motor Speedway - Coimbatore-img_3443.jpg  

Track day at Kari Motor Speedway - Coimbatore-img_3456.jpg  

Track day at Kari Motor Speedway - Coimbatore-img_3474.jpg  

Track day at Kari Motor Speedway - Coimbatore-st5.jpg  

Track day at Kari Motor Speedway - Coimbatore-st6.jpg  

Track day at Kari Motor Speedway - Coimbatore-st8.jpg  

Track day at Kari Motor Speedway - Coimbatore-st9.jpg  

Track day at Kari Motor Speedway - Coimbatore-st11.jpg  

Track day at Kari Motor Speedway - Coimbatore-st14.jpg  

Track day at Kari Motor Speedway - Coimbatore-st15.jpg  

doctorque is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th July 2013, 17:59   #2
BHPian

re: Track day at Kari Motor Speedway - Coimbatore

Heres a video. Thanks to the mutual investment in a GoPro Hero 2.

doctorque is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th July 2013, 22:12   #3
BHPian

Nice

I hope do a track day myself sometime later this year, definitely a good experience.
motocamp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2013, 22:49   #4
BHPian

Could you post a few more details as to how could a n00b like me also go for a weekend track ride there? I own a DOT/SNELL helmet, Good Gloves, have a beat up A* Jacket and Elbow Knee pads(got torn/damaged in an accident I had over a year ago). Can procure a better jacket and other protective gear, but I would like to know exactly what.
I also want to know how much are the charges and other details as in how many hours can we clock.
I am sure I am not the only here who wants to go there so next time maybe we can go together and run the track with our own bikes rather than the Rented bikes?
Old 26th July 2013, 23:28   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu View Post
Could you post a few more details as to how could a n00b like me also go for a weekend track ride there? I own a DOT/SNELL helmet, Good Gloves, have a beat up A* Jacket and Elbow Knee pads(got torn/damaged in an accident I had over a year ago). Can procure a better jacket and other protective gear, but I would like to know exactly what.
I also want to know how much are the charges and other details as in how many hours can we clock.
I am sure I am not the only here who wants to go there so next time maybe we can go together and run the track with our own bikes rather than the Rented bikes?
You can hook up with Apex racing as they keep having track days for riders with all kinds of skill levels. Although full suit is recommended as that's the best available protection there is. If not, then the minimum requirement is a riding jacket, full size gloves, helmet, knee guards, riding boots, all from a well known manufacturer. That's what me and balenopower had.

Considering it was our first outing on a track we didn't want to risk taking our bikes as we only had a street insurance and transportation from Mumbai also seemed a cumbersome affair.

However, the next time around we will have the above mentioned issues sorted.

Will post some more pictures tomorrow.
Old 27th July 2013, 12:03   #6
BHPian

Apex racing helped us great deal to understand the techniques that we always thought we possessed. But the first few laps on the track you know you are far behind the guys who have worked hard bettering every aspect of track riding. Each lap was teaching us more than we've ever learned till now.

The amount of time we spent doing the track walk with the Apex Racing Pros suddenly started making a lot of sense as it helped us brake better, enter the corner better, improve our lines and exit better. Years of gaming experience also helped quite a bit.

Phew.
Attached Thumbnails
Track day at Kari Motor Speedway - Coimbatore-st19.jpg  

Track day at Kari Motor Speedway - Coimbatore-st21.jpg  

Track day at Kari Motor Speedway - Coimbatore-st23.jpg  

Track day at Kari Motor Speedway - Coimbatore-st24.jpg  

Track day at Kari Motor Speedway - Coimbatore-st26.jpg  

Track day at Kari Motor Speedway - Coimbatore-st27.jpg  

Track day at Kari Motor Speedway - Coimbatore-st30.jpg  

Track day at Kari Motor Speedway - Coimbatore-untitled.jpg  

Track day at Kari Motor Speedway - Coimbatore-972330_574033779285551_888090699_n.jpg  

Track day at Kari Motor Speedway - Coimbatore-946825_574033792618883_20929824_n.jpg  

doctorque is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th July 2013, 13:13   #7

What level did you guys go for? I'm quite curious to know. I've got a few biker friends who seem quite excited to analyze their own laps through their GoPro footage. Is that something that you did as well?
Old 27th July 2013, 16:20   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddharthseth View Post
What level did you guys go for? I'm quite curious to know. I've got a few biker friends who seem quite excited to analyze their own laps through their GoPro footage. Is that something that you did as well?

All first timers on the track have to start in the L1 group which is the Learners group and thats the same group we were in. There were 2 groups doing about 30 minutes sessions each, alternately. The pro group mostly consisted of Ninja 650R owners and most of them had their own bikes, some very heavily modified for track riding.

I can tell you it was quite a hoot watching them go one after another as a few of them were going at identical pace. It was a pleasure to see some wheel to wheel riding as they entered the first right hander almost side by side.

There were quite a few first timers and not very experienced riders in our group and there were instructions of very careful overtaking manoeuvres (same can be seen in the video) which stopped us from doing any real lap times. But I am guessing both me and balenopower were at almost identical pace doing 1min mid 30’s seconds and early 30’s being our best times given the conditions.
Old 29th July 2013, 12:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorque View Post
Killer (i am sorry i don't know his real name)
Killer is Samir ....
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 13:11   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Killer is Samir ....
Thanks ebonho, since Siddharths last post i was fighting with my memory to recollect 'Samir' as everyone at the track called him by the name of "Killer". He literally is Killer as the way he went past me just before C4 on the R1 while i was on the R15 was remarkable as he lent with his bike and right knee out brushing the surface, while i always straightened that corner on the small bike to carry more speed, incredible.

If you notice, Sagar is leaning hard towards his right just ahead of me at the same corner in one of the pictures. Hes on the R15 with full black Alpinestars leather.

Now only if Mumbai had even a small track to its disposal as each track day at Kari will amount to almost 20 to 30k rupees of expense.
Old 29th July 2013, 13:21   #11
BHPian

Nice pics there! It took a little while in coming thou

Was there for two days for the Apex Racing Academy in May. Must say it was quite some fun. The coimbatore track is much more technical than the chennai one and thats what makes it much more fun!!

If you Plan to do any track days in the future please let know as am based out in Pune as well.
Old 29th July 2013, 15:03   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKis View Post
Nice pics there! It took a little while in coming thou

Was there for two days for the Apex Racing Academy in May. Must say it was quite some fun. The coimbatore track is much more technical than the chennai one and thats what makes it much more fun!!

If you Plan to do any track days in the future please let know as am based out in Pune as well.
Thanks, pics courtesy Go Pro.

Btw, we were there in May as well. Were you in the same Ninja 650 groups track day with us?
Old 29th July 2013, 17:23   #13

Quote:
Hey thats good work i must say, i never miss any motorcycle videos from PD/PTR.
Always a pleasure to hear that! Thanks!

Quote:
Sagar was a part of the group as well and was a treat to watch as even on a R15 he almost kept up with all big bikes.
Indeed - Sagar is an exceptional rider! Given the right opportunities, he can kill it on any track!

And those are some really nice photographs! Good job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Killer is Samir ....
Indeed. Killer is Samir and honestly, Samir is also killer!

Quote:
If you notice, Sagar is leaning hard towards his right just ahead of me at the same corner in one of the pictures. Hes on the R15 with full black Alpinestars leather.
Well Sagar just pointed himself out on one of the pictures. Good to see the PD crew gelling along with BHPians! A BHP-PD meet, one day, perhaps?
Old 29th July 2013, 18:44   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, pics courtesy Go Pro.

Btw, we were there in May as well. Were you in the same Ninja 650 groups track day with us?
Mine was the next week after yours

Here is a video. (watch in HD)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...43750154980817

Quote:

Indeed - Sagar is an exceptional rider! Given the right opportunities, he can kill it on any track!
Yeah Absolutely..can vouch for that He was 4th and 6th in the Yamaha one make races (expert category) in coimbatore. This weekend he is onto chennai and hoping him to end up in the podium this time!!
Old 30th July 2013, 10:39   #15
BHPian

Quote:
And those are some really nice photographs! Good job!

Well Sagar just pointed himself out on one of the pictures. Good to see the PD crew gelling along with BHPians! A BHP-PD meet, one day, perhaps?
Thanks, the pictures are mere screen shots of the video from the Go Pro, hence the resolution is restricted.

Sagar is a good lad, i remember after some sessions he used to go to people whom he overtook on the track almost feeling sorry towards the maneuver.

And a meet can be on any weekend you guys are here in Mumbai. Watching this space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKis View Post
Mine was the next week after yours

Here is a video. (watch in HD)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...43750154980817

Yeah Absolutely..can vouch for that He was 4th and 6th in the Yamaha one make races (expert category) in coimbatore. This weekend he is onto chennai and hoping him to end up in the podium this time!!

Thats a good video, Samir being so easily recognisable in his gear. And you seem to be doing decent in keeping up with him.

Do wish Sagar my best for his participation.

Most Viewed