Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2013, 13:53   #46
BHPian

Re: Which Bike? Ninja 650 vs Harley Superlow vs Duke 390 vs Bullet 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Just for people following the thread.
Sir - I would urge you to follow your heart and go ahead with the Harley contrary to what many here have suggested. I have also since childhood dreamt of owning one someday and am tempted along the way by some excellent Sport bikes (forgive my classification if incorrect) such as the Duke 390 and Ninja 650 but none of them appeal to my heart like the Harley does. I have a similar shortlist as yours in mind barring the bullet but have resisted the temptation to go in for anything but Harley.

I dont remember your exact quote on DKG's thread on the Harley but i remember reading something like "By the time I have money to burn, my fire would have burnt out". To me it sounded like that was your dream bike. Hence once again I would urge you to go ahead with the Harley.

All the best!
miharbe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2013, 15:24   #47
Senior - BHPian

@dkaile - just ensure that you have had all the kids you wanted to have before you go ahead with the HD. :-)
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2013, 15:30   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
just ensure that you have had all the kids you wanted to have before you go ahead with the HD.
That was funny!! Why is that BTW? Never heard of that side effect.

My kids are 18 and 16 jfyi. The better half is not ready for any more...
dkaile is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2013, 15:53   #49
Senior - BHPian

@dkaile - when I test drove the HD some 2-3 years ago, the heat from the engine in the BLR traffic put the thought into my head - "Thank God, I have all the kids I wanted". Murderous, man!

BTW, my kids are 16 & 10
sridhu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2013, 16:06   #50
Senior - BHPian

Mine are 16, 12, and 7, and both of us can confidently say that the next infant we would like to hold in our arms would be our grandkids!

I don't know about the kids part so much as the fact that the way I have seen Harleys start up and idle, one should not be considering a Harley upgrade if he's suffering from irritable bowel syndrome.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2013, 18:21   #51
BHPian

As much as I (and some other sbk-ers I know) like to bad mouth Harley's as being too agricultural, underpowered, slow etc. The fact remains HD as a manufacturer are doing all the right things to put their customers first.
1. CKD route ensures pricing is not ridiculous (consider a BMW R1200GS retails for 30 lakh, and a Fat Boy about 17.)
2. Various HOG chapters, events and the whole lifestyle. Unmatched among any other major foreign manufacturer in India.
3. Focus groups conducted routinely to raise awareness on riding gear, and collect data on customer preferences.
4. Wide range of bikes and variants on offer. Dealers are well informed and take very good care of their customers.
5. Recently introduced emergency road side assistance.

The reasons I advocate the Ninja are the superb Bajaj service network, however inexperienced some of their mechanics may be. HD have one upped Kawi-Bajaj in all respects except the service network, which currently does not extend across the length and breadth of India. I will own a Harley one day, that is certain. But not before I'm much older and wiser! For now, Japanese parallel twins and inline 4's are on my radar.

Dkaile, appreciate you opening up the thread and your mind to all our opinions. Meerut to Delhi is less than a hundred kilometers, shouldn't be too difficult to get services done.
sriku is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2013, 18:33   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriku View Post
Meerut to Delhi is less than a hundred kilometers, shouldn't be too difficult to get services done.
Thanks sriku. I spoke to Capital Harley again and they informed me that there are 7 HD owners in Meerut region!!, which came as a big surprise to me as I haven't seen them around though I have heard of 2~3 bikes. Most of them must be closet owners like I am going to be... lolz. They are said to have formed a club and ride every Sunday. They also informed me that they can send a mechanic to Meerut free of cost, to service all/some of the bikes provided we co-ordinate with each other. And Delhi is just 68kms from Meerut but the traffic is a killer. Takes one hour just to get out of Delhi.

Last edited by dkaile : 1st August 2013 at 18:47.
Old 2nd August 2013, 14:25   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Dkaile, Thats a fantastic dilemma, even Iam considering buying a HD as my 3rd bike but, still not convinced to plonk 8 lakhs on the superlow.

Althought you have decided on the HD, Iam still going ahead with my simple description of each of your shortlisted bike and style of riding it requires to be able to do full justice to them

Assuming you love to ride at steady speeds (80-110kmph) and wish to enjoy every sound the bike emanates, sink into the scenary that lazily rushes past you and feel an equally proud thump in your chest as the sound of your bike then it has to be the Classic 500cc

If your a fan of bursts of speed with a riding position that is not really comfortable and would love to reach high speeds ( > 120kmph) on open highways on a regular basis then it has to be KTM390 or Ninja 650 ( My favorite is 650 amongst the two). Whereas one is a torque monster and other begs for redlining.

HD is for fashion, style and statement concious people and as many said is just a bullet with much higher refinement levels, greater presence and superior brand image and an expensive machine to maintain when compared to bullet.

If your riding atleast 800kms-1000kms in a month then it makes sense to invest in a bike that costs 5 lakhs and upwards.

But, if your like me who does < 500 kms a month and the bike is purely a purchase for those odd bike outings on weekends then you cannot go wrong with a Classic 500cc which is now comparable to any other modern bike with respect to niggles that are so few that it's not even worth mentioning.

Iam a huge fan of sports bikes and for my style of driving/riding (love to drive/ride fast) Ninja would have been perfect.But, after experiencing the Classic 500 for the last 1.5 years, I am quite happy thumping around at 100kmph than doing blistering speeds on a sports bike

Good Luck on the HD and look forward to a detailed ownership thread here ( who knows it may convince me to buy one too ) !!!
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2013, 14:45   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Althought you have decided on the HD
Still not decided. The field is open...
Old 2nd August 2013, 14:54   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Then buy the Classic 500 (1.75 Lakhs) and use it for 6 months and decide if its meant for you. If no, then sell and buy the HD, with the current waiting period on bulls, you will hardly lose any money.

But, if you buy a HD and for some reason you decide to let it go, it will be sold at a much higher discounted price.

Iam confident you will love the Bullet. Give it a shot...

Cheers !!!
Old 2nd August 2013, 19:03   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Then buy the Classic 500 (1.75 Lakhs) and use it for 6 months and decide if its meant for you. If no, then sell and buy the HD, with the current waiting period on bulls, you will hardly lose any money.

But, if you buy a HD and for some reason you decide to let it go, it will be sold at a much higher discounted price.

Cheers !!!
Quote:
If I were you, I'd consider the Iron 883 instead of the Superlow. I know Superlow is 1 lakh cheaper but with the Iron you get a much more practical bike with much superior styling package.

I am against the Bullet. Any of them..If you have the moolah and can afford a better bike, then go for it. I also find the Triumph Street Triple an uber cool bike if you like nakeds. I know that the Bullet is supposed to be a lifestyle product. But, when you have niggles in your lifestyle product, it completely distracts you of the very idea of having a lifestyle product.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 2nd August 2013 at 19:06.
Old 2nd August 2013, 19:05   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
If I were you, I'd consider the Iron 883 instead of the Superlow.
I am not a fan of Black. Call me old fashioned if you must, but a Harley is not a Harley if it ain't chromed...
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2013, 19:11   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Cheers !!!
Quote:
I am not a fan of Black. Call me old fashioned if you must, but a Harley is not a Harley if it ain't chromed...
I rest my case for the Iron then. What about the Triumph bikes then..?
BTW, now that I understand your preferences a little better, It's a toss up between the Superlow and Ninja.

See, when you're selecting any lifestyle product, there is life beyond logic
Obviously, you lofe having good life. That's why the idea of the bike, even though you may not ride it that much. Else, I've seen Tech company VPs come to office on a Splendor and call themselves prudent

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 2nd August 2013 at 19:13.
Old 2nd August 2013, 19:45   #59
Senior - BHPian

Is it only me?,i feel that superlow or iron will look too small on a person who is 6 feet tall.
Old 2nd August 2013, 20:12   #60
Senior - BHPian

Like they say for audio/ICE, TD a Harley. Try via contacts at TBHP for a TD of 650 too!

Also, do remember that you might start spending more $ as time goes buy on a HD thanks to the accessory list!

There are HD's on sale at TBHP classifieds and few 250R's too.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks