Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2011, 07:13   #271
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bullet - Need advice on modification

Saw this nicely maintained Bullet couple of days back. Appears to be a 1967 model one. Take a look as seen by me from a bus. Nice original look and the only additions are the turn indicators.
So Joshguy, maintain the original looks by sourcing original seats, silencers etc.
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield Mechanics Thread: All mechanics requirements and queries here-bullet.jpg  

Last edited by rajeev k : 13th August 2011 at 07:19.
Old 13th August 2011, 09:16   #272
BHPian

re: The Royal Enfield Mechanics Thread: All mechanics requirements and queries here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post
4 year old batt- its closing on normal life time, these can go open circuit with no warning. Wish you luck in 30km batt power run. you may be setting a bench mark, do let us know.
Rennjit Chetto,

Finally made it home.Now I am record holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
Alter_Ego

If you do not own a "volt/ohm meter" you might consider purchasing one. There should be some relatively inexpensive ones available and they can be of great help when one needs to find electrical faults.
If you choose to buy one of these make sure it has the ability to check AC (alternating current). This is the type of current your alternator supplies to the rectifier diode.

While your riding, the alternator should be charging the battery at all times with the excess current going to power your ignition circuit, your lights and horn. Unfortunately, if the battery is defective it may take the charge but be unable to return it to the electrical system.
Hi ArizonaJim,

Thanks a ton for the detailed description.That gave me a lot of insight into the workings of a RE.Really appreciate the time and patience you took to clearly describe everything to the point.

As soon as I connected the charge battery to my enfield it started immediately.And did not stop for the next 5 minutes.That gave me some confidence that it won't on the way back home.
Rode like crazy as I had to drive around 30+ kms back home from office and was very convinced that it would stop midway.
So somehow controlled myself not to press the horn or indicators.
Used handsignals.

There's one electrical mechanic who takes care of my safari's electricals too , so took the bike straight there.
Asked him to verify whether the battery is getting charged.

He connected a voltmeter to the battery which was showing 12V and then asked me to start the bike again and then he switched on the headlight, indicators and started pressing the horn meanwhile asking me to raise the accelator.And showed me on the voltmeter that the battery voltage was nearing 13-14V and said that there are no issues with the battery charging.
He then looked at the battery and said that its a 2007 model and now has run for almost 4 years.what more do you expect.

He advised me to purchase a new battery and confirmed that with the new battery this issue will never be seen.

On asking him the price he said a new one would cost around INR 1.2k.
So not to purchase in a haste I came back home and now want to do some market research on the price of various brands of batteries before purchasing one.

So feel that the old battery was the cause of this entire episode.(Though totally surprised as this battery never showed any lack of performance and the horn and lights were functioning perfectly and the battery went dead suddenly.Aint it supposed to degrade slowly with the performance degrade being noticeable.)

So will be purchasing a new battery over the weekend.
Will update in case history repeats itself.

Meanwhile thanks a lot to all the t-bhpians who pitched in with their inputs and helped me get out of this situation.Love you guys.
Old 13th August 2011, 10:04   #273
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Royal Enfield Mechanics Thread: All mechanics requirements and queries here

Pleased to hear you made it home safely with your motorcycle.

You are correct in saying that a battery should die slowly.
Sometimes the plates break down over a period of years and the debris slowly builds up in the bottom of the cells. As the debris is conductive it will often short out the plates in the cell causing a notable weakening of the battery's power and its inability to hold a charge.
This doesn't seem to be the problem with your battery although it may have been a contributing factor.

With the newer battery designs a more common failure seems to be one (or more) of the internal metal connectors that connect the 6 battery cells together suddenly, without warning, break. This is apparently what happened to your battery.

Here in Phoenix, Arizona where the summer temperatures are very high (116 F. (46.7 C.)) batteries in automobiles often don't last 2 years before this internal breakage happens.

I think the 4 years of service your battery gave you is rather good.
It is certainly much better than the battery that was in my old BMW K-75 motorcycle which I had to replace every two years.
Old 13th August 2011, 14:31   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
Rennjit Chetto,
Finally made it home.Now I am record holder
... Rode like crazy as I had to drive around 30+ kms back home from office and was very convinced that it would stop midway. So somehow controlled myself not to press the horn or indicators. ...
No Aniyaa, you didnt adhere to the 'batt power run' term. You were to run on battery power only ie., no alternator charging the batt back. With fully charged batt & functional charging system the attempt is disqualified .
And had you checked the charging at batt shop itself you could have had a safe non-crazy ride back home.

Did you try E-starts? If the batt holds for a few times, its good to use. Not just voltage but load current also matters. Remember the 'Ammeter' on some RE models, they give an indication of batt, charger's status & health.

Quote:
Now, a service manual says TCI can function on as low as 7 volts. ..... I need to hook up a weak 5yr old 12v ups battery next days to see what turns out.
Here it is, TCI can start even from a 6v battery
Tested with 6v 14ah rated automotive batt delivering 7v to be precise.

In an attempt to pre-charge a 7ah Sla batt, i ended up reviving it. It was given fluids & put on charge for ~24hrs & left disconnected for ~12hrs. Bugger refused discharging to 7v whatever load i put on, but current went drastically down. Turn lights on & it wont start but reading 8v with no other loads it did easy start.
Need to find out min amps rating for Tci.

Last edited by Rennjit : 13th August 2011 at 14:35. Reason: ;-)
Old 13th August 2011, 20:26   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
With the newer battery designs a more common failure seems to be one (or more) of the internal metal connectors that connect the 6 battery cells together suddenly, without warning, break. This is apparently what happened to your battery.
Oh yeah.I guess this might what have happened.
Thanks for the detailed description.

Quote:
No Aniyaa, you didnt adhere to the 'batt power run' term. You were to run on battery power only ie., no alternator charging the batt back. With fully charged batt & functional charging system the attempt is disqualified .
Damn
There goes my sense of achievement.

And so there are still chances of the battery being right and the ampere/current going down due to connection issues?

So you suggest that I check the ampere levels too?

Or did I just confuse myself?
Old 14th August 2011, 09:44   #276
BHPian

Aniyo, just try Electric start a few times & see if it quits like before.

Get a new one, who likes getting stranded bcoz of a stupid batt
Old 14th August 2011, 12:29   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Aniyo, just try Electric start a few times & see if it quits like before.

Get a new one, who likes getting stranded bcoz of a stupid batt
No electric start in my bikeOld model. Will now run it to nearby places around home only.If it dies I can at least get it home and then get a new batt.
Old 14th August 2011, 17:28   #278
BHPian

So then you have a 5 Ah batt & Ac powered headlamp? I'm not sure of T'birds but std350 & Ks Electra were so. If yes, your safari mech played a joke testing batt voltage with h/l On as load & more so if the horn too is stock
Rennjit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2011, 18:30   #279
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leepower View Post
Disk brakes, the whole set is a straight fit. You will get it for around 8-9K
Don't install a front lock, just buy a big, fat chain and lock. And robbers never dare to steal a Bull -- all thanks to its amazing weight and right gear shift. At the most, they will flick it's battery. Try installing a kill switch under the seat. Without that the bike just won't start!!!
Hi What i meant by fork lock is to have a fork lock like Hero honda CD 100 SS and not like the once's integrated with ignition like unicorn or passion.

Current bullets come with fork lock where after switching off the engine you need to remove the key ,turn the handle bar and lock the fork. My bike has a godrej lock,which i need to unlock and lock every time

To give more idea i am attaching the pictures and fork lock is marked

Expecting reply for Chennai Bikers!
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield Mechanics Thread: All mechanics requirements and queries here-img_4442q.jpg  

The Royal Enfield Mechanics Thread: All mechanics requirements and queries here-img_4446q.jpg  

Old 16th August 2011, 18:43   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Hi What i meant by fork lock is to have a fork lock like Hero honda CD 100 SS and not like the once's integrated with ignition like unicorn or passion.

Current bullets come with fork lock where after switching off the engine you need to remove the key ,turn the handle bar and lock the fork. My bike has a godrej lock,which i need to unlock and lock every time

To give more idea i am attaching the pictures and fork lock is marked

Expecting reply for Chennai Bikers!

Hi Josh,
  • The side lock should cost you less than 100Rs. You can either weld it or screw it down.
  • The disk brake conversion should cost you somewhere around 8-9k as the Pricol kits are somewhere around 7-8k and you would have to change your rim for the same.
  • I would suggest you take it to JAF at Pudupet.
--Cheers--
Ramesh
ram.west is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2011, 20:42   #281
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram.west View Post
Hi Josh,
  • The side lock should cost you less than 100Rs. You can either weld it or screw it down.
  • The disk brake conversion should cost you somewhere around 8-9k as the Pricol kits are somewhere around 7-8k and you would have to change your rim for the same.
  • I would suggest you take it to JAF at Pudupet.
--Cheers--
Ramesh
Hi Ramesh

Thank you,but i guess JAF is too expensive? my father has been there once i guess.Do you know him personally? then probably you can introduce me to him.

I was quoted around 4k for the disc break conversion in GP Road.In anycase i need to change the rims as they are rusted or need to electroplate them
Old 5th October 2011, 14:16   #282
BHPian

Hey guys i am shifting faridabad in a few days. Please share info about good mechanics in faridabad or Delhi/NCR.
Old 5th October 2011, 18:44   #283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_1605 View Post
Hey guys i am shifting faridabad in a few days. Please share info about good mechanics in faridabad or Delhi/NCR.
You can go to few shops at the end of Neelam Bata Road towards Bata Flyover. My brother got his TB serviced from there a couple of times. Satisfactory results... in fact better than Swastik Motor RE Dealership.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2011, 10:28   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
You can go to few shops at the end of Neelam Bata Road towards Bata Flyover. My brother got his TB serviced from there a couple of times. Satisfactory results... in fact better than Swastik Motor RE Dealership.
Yes i know that place, that is like a 2 wheeler market only but are there any proper RE mechanics (meant for RE only)? Will check it out anyways
Old 21st December 2011, 21:17   #285
BHPian

Re: Hello People!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justROYal View Post
Good people on this thread,

I am in Mumbai...
Try the Royal Enfield Workshop at Mahim, on Tulsi Pipe Road. Very very close to Mahim Rly Station (West)...

Good crowd, good mechanics and 24x7 action and beehive activity levels.

24x7 When they are open that is.

:-)

KD

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks