Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2013, 13:25   #346

re: The Royal Enfield Mechanics Thread: All mechanics requirements and queries here

Quote:
Originally Posted by B O V View Post
I own an '83 bull.Recently moved to Cochin.Its been about 3 months and I'm yet to find a good mech.Currently there's a very squeaky sound coming while the clutch is depressed.I'm seriously considered selling the bike since I can't ride it in such a condition.Any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

You can contact Arun at 9846550809. His workshop is at Rice research road, Chalikkavattom near Vytilla.(Byepass).
Old 2nd November 2013, 17:06   #347
BHPian

re: The Royal Enfield Mechanics Thread: All mechanics requirements and queries here

The rear drum brakes on my brand new Electra, 7 days old today is acting weird. The braking is not at all good, When i apply the rear brakes, the bull goes forward just a little and come back to a stop, any idea what needs to be adjusted? Any help is highly appreciated.
I also would like to know of which is a good lubricant for the chain, would like to get one and have it in my little garage.
Old 17th November 2013, 21:10   #348
Senior - BHPian

Folks, My TBTS 500 is now a year old. I have got all the free services done from Asco Motors ( Patparganj Delhi). However as the warranty is over I would like to know if there is a good mechanic in or around Noida as I am not too impressed with the mechanics at Asco Motors. Moreover, the attitude of the dealership employees also leaves a lot to be desired.
Old 24th November 2013, 13:58   #349
BHPian

I did a couple of DIY videos on Clutch Adjustment and Drive Chain cleaning procedure, hope it helps anyone who might have wanted to do these on their own.

Drive Chain Cleaning Procedure DIY

Clutch Adjustment Process DIY
gearbox is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 15:49   #350
BHPian

I see a lot of people here referring to JAF, Pudupet, Chennai.

JAF no longer is a nice place to go since his son takes care of business.

His son is a very rough person and talks like he his doing a favour for those who take his bike to him! Felt very offended when I took the bike to him last Saturday for tuning the carburetor. He rudely asked why should I do your bike?

I strongly advice against JAF as far as his son is in control of the shop.

Found some other good mechanics nearby

1. Ali - Jaffers Brother who has shop inside Pudupet. You need to take the right before the police booth and turn to the last but one right

2. Muniyan - Apparently the innovator of Belt Drive Bullets. His shop in Chintadiripet is a full fledged machine shop! Talked to his son Suresh and found him to be knowledgeable and humble!

Will try the other mechanics mentioned and give a feedback soon!
thecdkfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 16:53   #351
BHPian

Any recommendations for Bangalore? I am planning to go to Mehboob Garage, there have fair share of Positive as well as Negative reviews. So, any ideas guys?
Old 6th January 2014, 17:18   #352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletboy76 View Post
Hi Friends,

Can anyone recommend any good RE authorized service center in Pune?

Initially I used to get it serviced from the dealer (Dhone), but switched later to another RE authorized service center at Sinhagad Road. While my experience with this Sinhagad road service center is kind of 'ok', I want to know if there is any other service center where I can get better experience?

How is service provided by Dhone at PCMC (near Kasarwadi)? This one is nearest to my house.

Cheers and happy thumping!
Hey,

The ASC at Sinhagad road is own by my friend, please let me know if you have faced any issue I will pass it on to him. He is very nice and knowledgeable guy and open to any suggestion when it comes to bullet. Hope you have meet Umesh Pawar there if not I will suggest you should talk to him once.

Thanks,
Vishal.
Old 6th January 2014, 22:54   #353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletboy76 View Post
Hi Friends,

Can anyone recommend any good RE authorized service center in Pune?
Along with what Vishal has suggested, you can also check your motorcycle at Brahma. Look out for Mr Kadam out there and explain your problems to him in detail (make sure that it is entered in the job card as well). I have done both my free servicing over there and I find the services offered, acceptable. With regards to the Dhone at Kasarwadi, I do not have any experience with them, but from what I have heard about the "Dhone" brand, I would prefer to stay miles away from them.

Regards,
Old 10th January 2014, 15:51   #354
BHPian

Guys,

I am expecting my bike in the Jan end or First week of Feb. It is DS500. Few mods are already there in my mind like

1) Better Handle Bar - May be Electra
2) Short Bottle Silencer - Only After first 2000Kms
3) Thunderbird like Seat with a Back rest like new Bullet 500

Can I do these mods easily without making so much changes/alterations?
Where can I get this done in Pune ? Any good Mechs for this?
Any warranty related issues due to above mods?

Pls reply.
Old 11th January 2014, 21:53   #355
BHPian

The first two should be pretty much bolt on fits.

Does that mean you want only the rider seat or both the rider seat and pillion as that can be seen on the new Thunderbird?

It might require a bit of alteration from what comes stock on the classic500(single seat with springs)

I've seen quite a few classics with the back rests fixed onto the stock seat set ups.

May I ask why the Thunderbird seats?
B O V is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 11:41   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_3007 View Post
Guys,

I am expecting my bike in the Jan end or First week of Feb. It is DS500. Few mods are already there in my mind like

Pls reply.
Hi Ricky. I recently did some basic mods on my 4 month old DS500. One suggestion (as it was given to me in turn by fellow TeamBhpians), do the mods as and when you feel the need/desire to do it, as against going with the trend. In most probability, you will end up doing what you have already thought, but the satisfaction of doing a mod out of requirement is greater as you now very well know why you made a change - my thoughts .

Now to the mods i made (in the below order).

1) Changed the rear seat to a more comfortable "PERFECT" seat. There is a guy (Imran) in Andheri(East) who makes this seats - he also supplies them to various all over Mumbai - you can try enquiring for the same in Pune. The requirement arose from my wife who used to refuse/avoid travelling pillion owing to the utter discomfort. This was done after 1.5 months of usage. Cost - Rs. 1000. The guy retained the steel frame and only changed the foam and cover. If you use change the whole seat, it might cost a bit differently.

2) Changed the backrest to the new Standard Bullet 500 one. Again the requirement came from my wife. After #1 and 2#, she is now relatively more willing to travel pillion (relatively because - let's face it - women don't really enjoy riding pillion on Bullets). This was done after 4 months of usage. Cost - Rs. 1150. This one proved to be an expensive affair as I bought spare part from the authorised RE shop. It could have been done in a fraction of that cost (Rs. 400), if I had gone to Imran again for the same. He customises some other backrest with a cushion.

3) Changed the front seat to the "PERFECT" seat. This time it was my own requirement. Earlier, after a 30 minute ride, i used to feel like lying face-down for some time. I don't feel that strain in the lower back now (it's just been 2 days after the change, but still.). This was again done a day after the backrest change above (#2). Cost - Rs. 1800. This time he changed the entire seat. No springs now.

I am yet to feel the need to change the handle-bar. The day i do, i will make that change too. Hope the above information helps.

Regards,
Manish
manishw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 13:10   #357
BHPian

Guys Pls find my reply in bold below .

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishw View Post
Hi Ricky. I recently did some basic mods on my 4 month old DS500. One suggestion (as it was given to me in turn by fellow TeamBhpians), do the mods as and when you feel the need/desire to do it, as against going with the trend. In most probability, you will end up doing what you have already thought, but the satisfaction of doing a mod out of requirement is greater as you now very well know why you made a change - my thoughts .

Very Well Said. I will do the same way as you did then . I do not want to change something which is already suited to me .

Now to the mods i made (in the below order).

1) Changed the rear seat to a more comfortable "PERFECT" seat. There is a guy (Imran) in Andheri(East) who makes this seats - he also supplies them to various all over Mumbai - you can try enquiring for the same in Pune. The requirement arose from my wife who used to refuse/avoid travelling pillion owing to the utter discomfort. This was done after 1.5 months of usage. Cost - Rs. 1000. The guy retained the steel frame and only changed the foam and cover. If you use change the whole seat, it might cost a bit differently.

2) Changed the backrest to the new Standard Bullet 500 one. Again the requirement came from my wife. After #1 and 2#, she is now relatively more willing to travel pillion (relatively because - let's face it - women don't really enjoy riding pillion on Bullets). This was done after 4 months of usage. Cost - Rs. 1150. This one proved to be an expensive affair as I bought spare part from the authorised RE shop. It could have been done in a fraction of that cost (Rs. 400), if I had gone to Imran again for the same. He customises some other backrest with a cushion.

3) Changed the front seat to the "PERFECT" seat. This time it was my own requirement. Earlier, after a 30 minute ride, i used to feel like lying face-down for some time. I don't feel that strain in the lower back now (it's just been 2 days after the change, but still.). This was again done a day after the backrest change above (#2). Cost - Rs. 1800. This time he changed the entire seat. No springs now.

You explained The exact reason- to alter the seats is my Wife's comfort. When I did TD at showroom , my wife liked DS500 very much except the pillion seat comfort. Hence I want to mod the seat with the Backrest as the stock Back rest on DS is useless.

I am yet to feel the need to change the handle-bar. The day i do, i will make that change too. Hope the above information helps.

I will use the bike for some time and then will check if change in Handle Bar needed.

Thanks a lot for your valuable feedback and now Pls Pls Pls upload a picture of your DS with this new "Perfect" Seat. Also share the contact details of Imran.

Regards,
Manish
Quote:
Originally Posted by B O V View Post
The first two should be pretty much bolt on fits.

Does that mean you want only the rider seat or both the rider seat and pillion as that can be seen on the new Thunderbird?

It might require a bit of alteration from what comes stock on the classic500(single seat with springs)

I've seen quite a few classics with the back rests fixed onto the stock seat set ups.

May I ask why the Thunderbird seats?

I feel the Thunderbird Seats are more comfortable for rider and pillion. Then comes Electra Seats I guess. I may be wrong though.
Old 13th January 2014, 13:34   #358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Pls reply.
Hi Ricky! I am a proud owner of a DS 500 from Nov 2013. Just thought I will add my two cents worth if it is useful.

I tried the electra handle bar and the RD 350 handlebar, it didnt seem to suit the bike as it was a lot wider in span compared to the stock handlebar. The aesthetics of the bike seemed to have taken a hit.

Thumbs up for the silencer. However, the stock one does seem to have gotten a lot more thump after riding my bike for 875km.

I am 6 foot 2 inches and no doubt the stock front seat is a bit too high for my liking, am keen to get the rider seat lowered (maybe remove the springs) however I am concerned if I do that, will the dampening on bad roads reduce and will my back take a bigger hit. The seat springs seem to give nice cushioning on rough roads.

Here are some links on ebay I found for a low seat. A BHPian recommended this to me:

Click

click
Fullrevs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 15:16   #359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
Hi Ricky! I am a proud owner of a DS 500 from Nov 2013. Just thought I will add my two cents worth if it is useful.

I tried the electra handle bar and the RD 350 handlebar, it didnt seem to suit the bike as it was a lot wider in span compared to the stock handlebar. The aesthetics of the bike seemed to have taken a hit.

Thumbs up for the silencer. However, the stock one does seem to have gotten a lot more thump after riding my bike for 875km.

I am 6 foot 2 inches and no doubt the stock front seat is a bit too high for my liking, am keen to get the rider seat lowered (maybe remove the springs) however I am concerned if I do that, will the dampening on bad roads reduce and will my back take a bigger hit. The seat springs seem to give nice cushioning on rough roads.

Here are some links on ebay I found for a low seat. A BHPian recommended this to me:

Click

click
Hi FullRevs,

Congratulations on your DS.
Thanks for your suggestion. I will take call on Handle only after riding for some time. Seat in the first link looks good. Let me check. I have more concern on pillion seat . Which I want to alter . Silencer mod is only after running in period of 2000kms.

Regards,
Old 13th January 2014, 15:26   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for your valuable feedback and now Pls Pls Pls upload a picture of your DS with this new "Perfect" Seat. Also share the contact details of Imran.
Have IMed you Imran's number. Will post the pic of my DS with the modded seats sometime soon.

Quote:
Thanks for that update Fullrevs. I have been thinking on the same lines regarding the handle-bar.

Quote:
I had the same concern earlier regarding the springs, but so far am not complaining except for getting used to the new seating position. But i would like to give it few more days before i make that claim. But somehow i also feel more confident on turns with this new seat. It may be due to the lower seating position with this seat sans springs. Infact a few people on the forum have justified that, as the vehicle already has its own shock absorbers, so the springs on the front seat are not necessary.

Quote:
They look good to me. Similar to what i have fitted.

Regards,
Manish
manishw is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed