Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2017, 13:48   #421

Re: The Royal Enfield Mechanics Thread: All mechanics requirements and queries here

Can someone please suggest a good lathe in Pune. Need to rebore the cylinder of my Std 350 CI.
Old 20th September 2017, 00:20   #422
BHPian

Re: The Royal Enfield Mechanics Thread: All mechanics requirements and queries here

Hi,

I have a Thunderbird 500. It is lying idle for last 4 months. I want to get it completely serviced. But i am not happy with ASC and i feel that they fleece customers. Is there a local mechanic who specializes in 500 cc EFI models? I am fine with mechanics in East Delhi, Noida or Karol Bagh.
Old 20th September 2017, 03:01   #423
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukalia View Post
Hi,

I have a Thunderbird 500. It is lying idle for last 4 months. I want to get it completely serviced. But i am not happy with ASC and i feel that they fleece customers. Is there a local mechanic who specializes in 500 cc EFI models? I am fine with mechanics in East Delhi, Noida or Karol Bagh.
I have very good experience with Bikers Clinic, run by Shahzad, 09871493384. (He is also a member of the Royal Mavericks and provides technicla support on all their drives.

Bikers Clinic, Patparganj, 110091 New Delhi

Or in Gurgaon, try Motorrad Werkstad

http://motorradwerkstatt.in/

Last edited by Jeroen : 20th September 2017 at 03:02.
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2017, 14:31   #424
BHPian

Can anyone suggest me a good mechanic in south bangalore for my Classic 350? Anywhere around Bannerghatta road would be ideal.
Old 15th March 2018, 16:03   #425
BHPian

Given my 2004 Electra 350 for service. Had issues with gear shifting and they advised to change the clutch assembly. Front suspension also to be overhauled. Here is the estimated cost. Does it look reasonable?The Royal Enfield Mechanics Thread: All mechanics requirements and queries here-imageuploadedbyteambhp1521109995.569533.jpg
Old 1st April 2018, 13:37   #426

Quote:
Originally Posted by aakash1412 View Post
Can anyone suggest me a good mechanic in south bangalore for my Classic 350? Anywhere around Bannerghatta road would be ideal.
I recently serviced my TB500 at Topgear Thumpers, Marathahalli. The service was excellent, Bhushan, one of the owners is a passionate rider himslef. He took the bike for a spin after the service and was a great guy to talk to. Do give them a try. I have been happy with their service, this was the first time I went there, I will try again and past another review later.
sausi007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2018, 17:13   #427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sausi007 View Post
I recently serviced my TB500 at Topgear Thumpers, Marathahalli. The service was excellent, Bhushan, one of the owners is a passionate rider himslef. He took the bike for a spin after the service and was a great guy to talk to. Do give them a try. I have been happy with their service, this was the first time I went there, I will try again and past another review later.
I recently found a mechanic, Mr. shabaaz, in JP Nagar. A young guy with a small shop near sarakki circle but very sharp and efficient. Anyone looking for a reliable mechanic around that area can contact him on *+91 95388 47355‬
Old 27th April 2018, 20:53   #428

Hello to all BHPians and fellow Royal Enfield owners.

I have a short and not very simple requirement: Can anyone please help me getting the contacts of a Mechanic in KOLKATA who knows the workings (electrical and mechanical) of the AVL engine that came fitted onto the Royal Enfield Bullet Machismo A350 motorcycles. My bike and I desperately need one!!

My Regards,
Thanks in advance.

The LONG STORY: Please continue to read if you would like to spare time reading the background of the issues.

I have owned a Royal Enfield Bullet Machismo A350 for 15 years now. The bike has never given any major issues other than occasional hiccups that are expected of a RE. I have had no major repairs or spare changes except break shoes, main drive chains, cables, batteries etc.

A couple of years ago during a regular oil change service the mechanic’s assistant messed up something with the alternator coils. I over herd the mechanic grumbling to another customer about what had had happened, but I was too inexperienced to contemplate what might have went wrong. (I got my hands on the Bullet way before I was mature enough to understand one.)
The only observation I could make was that there was humming sound from the chamber where the primary chain and alternator are housed. Later when I recall the visual memories of what the mechanic was doing while grumbling and tinkering with the alternator, I realized that some wiring has been severed in one or more of the coils and that the mechanic was trying to join the severed wires with an extension patch.
The bike has developed several electrical and starting issues since then. My repeated visits to the mechanic (the same one, because mechanics having experience in AVL engines are scarce and the ones having little knowledge whatsoever think of themselves as God.) have proved futile. Every time I had to settle with a new excuse, but nothing restored the original grandeur of the motorcycle.

Things performed (messed with) till now are:
Changing one of the coils in the alternator.
Replacing the CDI with that of a Bajaj bike.
Lot of adjustments to the main drive chain.
Replacing the battery more thrice.

I addition to the electrical issues the bike also has severe backfiring, misfiring and going dead. The idling is always uneven. Managed to get this better at least when started tuning the carb myself.

The last suggestion has been to swap the entire engine block with that of an old (read champion bullet) IC engine, since the AVLs many ailments are innate (as per all mechanics.).

Currently all mechanics have suggested to replace the stock carburetor with that from a Bajaj pulsar. The only issue I have seen is the float leaking, which is as per the mechanics causing the back firing.

Please suggest this should be allowed, or the float only can be replaced, or any of the carburetor from the newer generation Bullets can be used.

Many Thanks!

[This is my first post in the forum. Please to be part of TeamBHP]
Old 8th October 2018, 15:42   #429
BHPian

2 wheeler (Royal Enfield) FNG in Delhi, NCR

Hi bhpians, need recommendations for Royal Enfield FNG in Delhi, NCR.
Specially near Ghaziabad and Vasant Kunj.
Old 9th October 2018, 11:34   #430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
45K for just a re-paint??
Is it purely for repainting the bike or did you have some mechanical work done as well?
Boy, that is a lot of money even if it was including some mechanical work. That is like half of what the bike costed.
Look forward for more details vinu.
Cheers,
Deepak

Even when I was looking for repainting my 350 CI, most of the mechanic in Bangalore quoted 35 to 40 K, This made me to dismantle my bike at home and repainted and assembled it at home, paint I spent around 7K (DuPont), the color is Grey, Sami charged 1K for pin strips , rest chrome, buffing and few spares. Totally I spent 16K, Im talking about something I did in 2010 , Still my bike is in very good condition. Touch wood. This requires lot of patience and time. I dedicated four weekends just for this work. Ended up in adding few inch numbered tools in my tool box loved it!
roshanjathanna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2018, 10:25   #431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginWheels View Post
I have owned a Royal Enfield Bullet Machismo A350 for 15 years now.

A couple of years ago during a regular oil change service the mechanic’s assistant messed up something with the alternator coils.

The bike has developed several electrical and starting issues since then. My repeated visits to the mechanic (the same one, because mechanics having experience in AVL engines are scarce and the ones having little knowledge whatsoever think of themselves as God.) have proved futile. Every time I had to settle with a new excuse, but nothing restored the original grandeur of the motorcycle.
Mate my first suggestion to you would be to change your mechanic as your posts depict that your mech is very irresponsible and has been doing a patch jugaad job on your bike. Firstly as your bike is 15 years old I would suggest changing the entire wiring harness (the cost would be around 800-1000 bucks) as electrical problems plague the bike after certain age. I did a similar exercise on one of my Bullet 350 CI STD model, once done all electrical problems were solved. Secondly it looks like your alternator has been ruined by the mech and is also past its life, you can either buy a new one or refurbish/repair your existing alternator with a competent mech. I am sure doing these two things will solve the bikes electrical issues.

Regarding the CDI unit I have seen various mechanics using Bajaj CDI units on RE AVL bikes, but the result is mixed. Best to find a used RE AVL CDI unit from scrap yard market in your city.
Quote:
I addition to the electrical issues the bike also has severe backfiring, misfiring and going dead. The idling is always uneven. Managed to get this better at least when started tuning the carb myself.
Way to go the best way to maintain an RE is going the DIY way.
Quote:
The last suggestion has been to swap the entire engine block with that of an old (read champion bullet) IC engine, since the AVLs many ailments are innate (as per all mechanics.).
Remember if you swap the entire engine block and head you will have to get it re-registered in your RC book/card as engine numbers are unique. I wouldn't suggest doing this as AVL engine has its own charm, I own one.
Quote:
Currently all mechanics have suggested to replace the stock carburetor with that from a Bajaj pulsar. The only issue I have seen is the float leaking, which is as per the mechanics causing the back firing.

Please suggest this should be allowed, or the float only can be replaced, or any of the carburetor from the newer generation Bullets can be used.
Again why don't you try finding a similar carb from the scrap market, I am sure one can find parts from a scrapped AVL bike of similar kind. If not the whole carb you can find the float and fit it to your existing carb. Bajaj Pulsar carb retrofitting on an RE AVL too has mixed results from what I have observed. I am not sure if the float or the entire carb of new RE's can be fitted onto AVL as both have a different design.

I suggest doing all the purchase of the parts mentioned above on your own as sourcing it from mechs will attract more cost due to mechs adding their margin as well. Try to do DIY as these bikes are simple to work with. YouTube has a plethora of videos for guidance. Also try searching for service manual for AVL online as it will be handy if you are keen on doing DIY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinucv View Post
Given my 2004 Electra 350 for service. Had issues with gear shifting and they advised to change the clutch assembly. Front suspension also to be overhauled. Here is the estimated cost. Does it look reasonable?Attachment 1742052
vinu mate why is the oil cost for 2 1/2 litres showing 820 is it semi-synthetic or synthetic oil, if yes then it is an overkill for a CI Electra. Any brand of mineral oil of company specified SAE grade 20w40 (it is 20w50 for older CI engines with CB points) will do. Some of the costs in your estimate looks a bit inflated. Since you already have a list of parts to be procured, it is better you buy them on your own from a RE spare parts shop. How old is your clutch? and how much has your bike run? if your clutch has run its life then change it else get it adjusted and see the difference.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2018, 10:37   #432
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
if someone is looking for good bullet guy in south delhi area, you can use "bullet wale sardarji" in front of thyagaraj sports complex at the INA/lodhi road juncture.
right next to the bus depot.
thyaraja is on google maps, when you hit the roundabout right at the bus depot.
Just thought id share this.
this guy maintained my brother's ex-air force bullet immaculately for 10 years.
I cant believe that this guy is still up and running. Now its been more than 20 years that he has been fixing up bullets.
I went by the place yesterday, and stopped when I saw him sitting in front of his shop. For south delhi/Noida guys, give this old-worlder a try. He is from the touch-feel-fix school. I remember, most of teh times, me or my brother did not even have to tell him what was wrong with our bullet. Though he does lament the advent of electronics occassionally.

The location points out a medicos. He's right next to it.

Last edited by mayankk : 10th October 2018 at 10:38.
Old 24th May 2019, 08:52   #433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Or in Gurgaon, try Motorrad Werkstad

http://motorradwerkstatt.in/
Motorrad Werkstatt has been my go-to workshop for the past 2 years in Gurgaon. Unfortunately looks like they shut down both their shops in march 2019.

With no trust on RE workshops, I suddenly feel stranded to get my Classic 500 maintained. Even tried reaching out to Satendra ji from Motorrad. Must point out, he is gem of a guy. Fondly remember the way he had helped me when I got stuck in Ladakh last year.

With time to hit the mountains again next week, I am looking out for a trusted mechanic in Gurgaon. Read about the workshop in South Delhi/Lodhi road but would help in case there's a friendly neighbourhood garage in Gurgaon.
Old 24th May 2019, 09:28   #434
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh89 View Post
Motorrad Werkstatt has been my go-to workshop for the past 2 years in Gurgaon. Unfortunately looks like they shut down both their shops in march 2019.
That is such a shame.

Try Shazad, Bikers Clinic. https://www.facebook.com/bikersclinic

Shazad did a lot of work on my RE. He also rode with The Royal Mavericks and provided valuable support doing our tours. Unfortunately not in Gurgaon.

Good luck

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2019, 10:06   #435
BHPian

Just now spoke with my Mechanic at Motorrad - Yameen. He has opened up a new shop in Jaunapur area in Delhi along with his elder brother Yasin. Both of these guys are experts at RE bikes. Will be visiting their workshop tomorrow.

Their contact numbers:

Yasin - +91 97177 31180
Yameen - 098733 76712

Most Viewed