Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2013, 14:40   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Tryst with Orange: KTM Duke 390

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I just fill for 500 every 100 kms. It just ensure i have something left.

There were times when i used to completely fill up the bike. For my personal reasons i find it acceptable to fill4 times for 500 rs than 1 time for 1500
Considering the frequency at which the CI 500 goes to the mechanic for some small issue or the other, its always better to leave less fuel in the tank.
Old 16th September 2013, 15:39   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Considering the frequency at which the CI 500 goes to the mechanic for some small issue or the other, its always better to leave less fuel in the tank.
Touch wood, my CI 500 has visited the shop like once a year. To check out anything new. But that could be because i do the oil change and most of such cosmetic works.

The electrical is always touch and go and now i am learning to rewire the whole bike on my own to even eliminate the need to go to a shop to get electrical done.

I wouldn't say the bike goes to the mechanic every now and then. To me very reliable even on a crappy rainy day here in chennai

Expecting 390 to give me some learning curve to avoid workshop as much as possible.
Old 17th September 2013, 15:58   #78
Senior - BHPian

sriram can you confirm if this is the case with your bike as well - when the fan kicks in , it spins in the opposite direction throwing the hot air forwards and not backwards towards the legs ? .If yes ,this is a interesting logical design .

Last edited by black12rr : 17th September 2013 at 16:01.
Old 18th September 2013, 11:08   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
sriram can you confirm if this is the case with your bike as well - when the fan kicks in , it spins in the opposite direction throwing the hot air forwards and not backwards towards the legs ? .If yes ,this is a interesting logical design .
Sorry - Been offline for a day. I'll check this out today. I have had the privilege of having hot air sent to the legs in both CBR and GT650. I don't remember feeling this in 390. I have only felt the heat from the engine. May be this is done in the way you had suggested. Will update by evening!

Very interesting design...
Old 18th September 2013, 20:11   #80
BHPian

Congrats (a bit late) on the purchase and on being the first BIG Duke on the forum.

I am stuck to this thread since it's inception and find it quite interesting.
I am also in line for the duke(if I can put together enough Gandhis).
I can't explain the absolute joy that this bike was during the TD. It was like a time-warp when I was on the bike.
Though it's heavier than the smaller sibling but it sure is nimble and boy can it go fast!!

Wish you a lot of kms of wide-mouthed excitement and hope the hooligan inside gets a lot of chances to come out.

Keep the updates coming.
Old 19th September 2013, 12:18   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
Sorry - Been offline for a day. I'll check this out today. I have had the privilege of having hot air sent to the legs in both CBR and GT650. I don't remember feeling this in 390. I have only felt the heat from the engine. May be this is done in the way you had suggested. Will update by evening!

Very interesting design...
I did feel a bit of the hot air being blown towards me when the fan came on but nowhere close to what I used to get on the Fireblade.

Have done about 111km now and the bike seems to have started to free up a bit. Time for some quick short bursts till 5k rpm to settle in the piston.

Wish I could get over the 21kmph avg speed that I am managing thanks to Bangalore traffic through my daily commute.
Old 19th September 2013, 12:37   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygeetee View Post
Congrats (a bit late) on the purchase and on being the first BIG Duke on the forum.

I am stuck to this thread since it's inception and find it quite interesting.
I am also in line for the duke(if I can put together enough Gandhis).
I can't explain the absolute joy that this bike was during the TD. It was like a time-warp when I was on the bike.
Though it's heavier than the smaller sibling but it sure is nimble and boy can it go fast!!

Wish you a lot of kms of wide-mouthed excitement and hope the hooligan inside gets a lot of chances to come out.

Keep the updates coming.
Thanks a lot! I find it a lot of fun and none of my other bikes are getting the attention. The GT650N I took for a recent comparative ride felt so heavy! The lightness is the key to fun in the Duke!

I'll sure keep this thread updated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
I did feel a bit of the hot air being blown towards me when the fan came on but nowhere close to what I used to get on the Fireblade.

Have done about 111km now and the bike seems to have started to free up a bit. Time for some quick short bursts till 5k rpm to settle in the piston.

Wish I could get over the 21kmph avg speed that I am managing thanks to Bangalore traffic through my daily commute.
Hmm.. I felt the heat from the engine rather than the radiator. I would love to see your comparative against the blade! I am keeping the revvs below 7500 RPM as written in the manual. A couple of people I know are planning to do the Motoman, but, I plan to stick to convention.

21 kmph is a good speed in Bangalore - I manage only that much on normal days
Old 20th September 2013, 10:41   #83
BHPian

Got a call from Popular KTM, Mekhri Circle where I picked up the 390. Apparently, they want to replace some parts for 'enhanced performance'

This may be a euphemism for recall. The parts that will be replaced 'totally free of cost' are "(1) Fan Assembly (2) Rotor parts" (verbatim)

Apparently it takes 2-3 hours to fix this. It might be an early end to the discussion on 'interesting design' on the design of radiator fan. (Time my legs get additional hot air massage)

Did anyone else get these calls?

Will keep you posted on how it goes..
sriramv.iyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2013, 12:00   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This may be a euphemism for recall. The parts that will be replaced 'totally free of cost' are "(1) Fan Assembly (2) Rotor parts" (verbatim)
Can you go along with your bike while this is being done? If so please take photos and share with us here. Would be great to know what was changed and why.
Old 20th September 2013, 15:35   #85
BHPian

Congrats on your new ride Sriram, been following this thread for some time now. Have a query on fuel.

Do we get RON 95 fuel in Bangalore recommend for 390?

Cheers.
Old 20th September 2013, 15:36   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Got a call from Popular KTM, Mekhri Circle where I picked up the 390. Apparently, they want to replace some parts for 'enhanced performance'

Apparently it takes 2-3 hours to fix this. It might be an early end to the discussion on 'interesting design' on the design of radiator fan. (Time my legs get additional hot air massage)

Hope this will reduce the heating you were talking about. Do post the after ride experience.
Old 20th September 2013, 18:07   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This may be a euphemism for recall.
This is standard Bajaj operating procedure. Happens with most first generation Bajaj products for the first few months.

I have first gen P220 Fi, many components have been replaced during service/repair visits like this. Have seen this happen for the D200 & 200NS as well.

Last edited by praful : 20th September 2013 at 18:09.
Old 20th September 2013, 19:02   #88
BHPian

Quote:

This is in line with my experiece of riding the Duke recently. I didnt felt any heating issues after my test ride and the reps out there did mention about a change in the radiator fan design from KTM for better cooling and resolving heat issues.
So its a good thing that KTM is still working towards resolving the issue to enahce the overall D390's buyer experience.
Old 20th September 2013, 19:35   #89
BHPian

Yes I'm quite sure my bike has the new fan design logic in place. The technician did mention that based on the speed of the vehicle, the hot air direction is decided. I can safely say heat is not a major issue for me in crawling traffic.
Old 20th September 2013, 19:56   #90
Senior - BHPian

So looks what i heard is true.
Bajaj has been delaying deliveries due to some overheating issues.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks